• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasup

I'm still a bit salty over Opera Skaala's defeat in Finnish national finals, they would've been glorious in Eurovision. Yet, I can not help but think that we really sent something far, far better.

Feep

Banned
A strange confluence of events led me to a Eurovision party yesterday...an event I had literally never even heard of.

I actually had a great goddamn time. Sweden was super catchy, I really enjoyed Spain, Serbia, Latvia, and oddly, Georgia, which no one else seemed to have liked.

Gonna catch it next year too! Thanks, Europe!

A strange confluence of events led me to a Eurovision party yesterday...an event I had literally never even heard of.

I actually had a great goddamn time. Sweden was super catchy, I really enjoyed Spain, Serbia, Latvia, and oddly, Georgia, which no one else seemed to have liked.

What country are you in?

Jasup

Please elaborate a bit. It's always interesting to hear what peoples first impressions are when seeing Eurovision the first time. It's usually bafflement over what's going on.

PixelPeZ

WTF was up with Italy? That song was terrible, but seemed to get a lot of love. Why? It wasn't even Eurovision-fun terrible, just pompous and self serious.

Feep

Banned
Please elaborate a bit. It's always interesting to hear what peoples first impressions are when seeing Eurovision the first time. It's usually bafflement over what's going on.
I'm in Los Angeles. I ended up hanging with a bunch of Aussies the night before, crashed with them because my friend failed to pick me up that night, then *they* got invited to a Eurovision party the next day, and I just tagged along.

They quickly explained to me how it worked...apparently some of these songs have been on YouTube forever, but I hadn't heard them, so it was all new to me. The stage and production values were pretty spectacular, and the incredible *speed* of the competition kept me drawn in. That alone was so different from how it would have been handled in America, I could hardly believe it.

The points reveal, going to every country individually, seemed a little clunky and slow...but it was good for building drama, I suppose. I'm aware there's a lot of political and historical bias in the voting, but hey, that's humanity, and as an outsider, I didn't really care. I thought Italy was a little too highly ranked, but I also don't know the general musical tastes of Europe, so.

Russia girl and Sweden guy are literally along the most attractive people on the planet Earth. COINCIDENCE? I think not!

Alright, final adjustment to the OP - I added the finals' live performances and a link to the scoreboards.

Definitely looking forward to next year.

Darius

Banned
Here a comparison of points given by televotes and jury.

Italy: 365 televote, 183 juries
Russia: 286 televote, 240 juries
Sweden: 279 televote, 363 juries

I say it ten times every year, get rid of the jurryyyy

Yes, the jury is a joke and "surpise" they coincidently aligned with betting houses. Anyway "industry veterans" with their ties to corporations as jury sounded fishy from the get-go.

Jasup

I'm in Los Angeles. I ended up hanging with a bunch of Aussies the night before, crashed with them because my friend failed to pick me up that night, then *they* got invited to a Eurovision party the next day, and I just tagged along.

They quickly explained to me how it worked...apparently some of these songs have been on YouTube forever, but I hadn't heard them, so it was all new to me. (snip)
Thanks. It was an interesting read.

To give you a bit of a better insight of what was going on, it's a friendly competition between the national broadcasting companies in EBU (European Broadcasting Union). The songs haven't been on YT forever, the broadcasters choose their song in different ways, but the song has to be new and can't be published in any way before september of the previous year. And they can't be longer than 3 minutes.

And it's the biggest party in Europe. Around 180 million people watch it every year.

TeddyBoy

I think the performance of the UK song can easily be measured. It is only the third Eurovision song on the UK iTunes charts. Not even the UK likes it enough to place it first.

At least the BBC is looking to actually change their selection process. They're going for a public selection show.

They should just make the winners of X-factor be our automatic choice for Eurovision, it would be a cheap option that would give the winner a clear early goal rather than just winning X-factor and then being left to their own devices.

They should just make the winners of X-factor be our automatic choice for Eurovision, it would be a cheap option that would give the winner a clear early goal rather than just winning X-factor and then being left to their own devices.

Was just thinking that Holland should do the same with The Voice of Holland.

cammy84

That's a good idea. The one stumbling block is the different channels since I can't see ITV oking it but at least the winner would get more exposure and there would be a chance of the "daft" X Factor contestants doing better with the prospect of entering the Eurovision at the end

Belgium sent a The Voice winner this year. Also two years ago with Roberto Belarrossa. They were both winners (or contestants I don't actually know) of The Voice Belgique. Definitely it's a good strategy. You have a singer that'll be able to hold their own live vocally and at least some kind of public appeal to win such a contest.

However, last year we did a separate melfest-ish show to choose a winner and that ended horrendously. I have no idea why people voted for that mess, the show was way to pushy in getting him to win.

The French (Wallonia) and Dutch (Flanders) parts of Belgium switch each year with choosing the representative, since both have their own network of TV channels. This year and 2 years ago it was Wallonia, they def know what's up. Us flemish folk, not so much.

So watching the old ESCs, I found the year in which the foundation for flashy stage shows over just standing around and singing or perhaps dancing just a little was laid. It was 1977.
And of course, it's the fault of Spain and Austria. Habsburgian antics confirmed to make Eurovision into Eurovision.

Though I don't think it really took off properly until Dschingis Khan.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
That's a good idea. The one stumbling block is the different channels since I can't see ITV oking it but at least the winner would get more exposure and there would be a chance of the "daft" X Factor contestants doing better with the prospect of entering the Eurovision at the end

Wagner at Eurovision with his bongos and scantily clad dancers would have been the UK's highlight for decades to come.

Wagner for Eurovision 2016.

I'm still a bit salty over Opera Skaala's defeat in Finnish national finals, they would've been glorious in Eurovision. Yet, I can not help but think that we really sent something far, far better.

Aaaah I am LIVING for this!! It's so amazing. Malena Ernman wishes she could.
But I agree, the Finnish entry that made it was much deserves as well. So unexpected, but powerful in it's own way.

Prez

Belgium sent a The Voice winner this year. Also two years ago with Roberto Belarrossa. They were both winners (or contestants I don't actually know) of The Voice Belgique. Definitely it's a good strategy. You have a singer that'll be able to hold their own live vocally and at least some kind of public appeal to win such a contest.

However, last year we did a separate melfest-ish show to choose a winner and that ended horrendously. I have no idea why people voted for that mess, the show was way to pushy in getting him to win.

The French (Wallonia) and Dutch (Flanders) parts of Belgium switch each year with choosing the representative, since both have their own network of TV channels. This year and 2 years ago it was Wallonia, they def know what's up. Us flemish folk, not so much.

We should have sent She's After My Piano last year.

I want Belgium to split so both Wallonia and Flanders can be part of Eurovision on their own, mostly because I want to see Wallonia's flag in it:
750px-Flag_of_Wallonia.svg.png

There can never be enough cock in ESC

cyba89

Worked really good for Germany 2010 with Lena too. The follow-up casting winner Roman Lob also did good in the rankings as 8th in 2012.
After that, broadcaster ARD went with a different take. A mix of public voting and jury system, with only one show and a mix of well-known and unknown acts and since then Germany failed again. (21, 18, and now the 27. rank).

oti

Banned
Worked really good for Germany 2010 with Lena too. The follow-up casting winner Roman Lob also did good in the rankings as 8th in 2012.
After that, broadcaster ARD went with a different take. A mix of public voting and jury system, with only one show and a mix of well-known and more unknown acts and since then Germany failed again. (21, 18, and now the 27. rank).

But that was a casting show for Eurovision, not your typical The Voice and what have you. How did that show establish itself as the de facto casting show anyway? Greece sent another The Voice winner this year. That boring ballad you've already forgot.

addik

Finally got to watch this year's Eurovision. It's not as fun if you don't watch it live with all the online reactions.

I like Sweden, but I preferred Estonia's and Australia's entries more. I felt bad that Estonia was robbed off a Top 5 finish, but happy that Latvia got that despite being pretty much dismissed by fans the entire contest.

Serbia was a pleasant surprise IMO. I'm also happy it got a Top 10 finish.

But then again, as a whole, I found Eurovision 2014 still better. There were just so much campier entries, but whatever good-quality songs we had were really REALLY good (though generally, the quality of the songs are higher this year, but they're just not as fun or campy on stage) The voting pattern last year was also much more exciting with lots of countries getting 12s in the first half of the vote call. I pretty much called Sweden winning even before the contest, while last year I really thought Armenia or Hungary had it.

I feel a little sad for austria, hosting to whole thing and not a single point for their burning piano.

This is the first time the host country scored 0 points in the entire 60 year history of Eurovision. The second time a host country places dead last, as well. The last time that happened was the Netherlands in 1958 with 1 point (funnily they shared that with Luxembourg, so there's some common element here too).

And note that in 1958, the point system also was different from nowadays (there were less points to give).

oti

Banned
Now I'm sad San Marino didn't make the final. Imagine Siegel trash getting more points than perfect and modern Germany. The aftermath would've been amazing.

Scipio

Hey! Tom Dice few years back wasn't that bad. (Not as good as Loïc but still)

s_mirage

At the offical eurovision website you can see how the points were distributed. When it comes to the televoting Italy was by far the most successful participant this year, too bad that 5 jury members per country had such a big influence compared to millions of people.

For example Germany from which Italy got the least points from, actually had Italy ranked 1st place in televoting and still ended up with just 3 points from Germany. A similar situation with Iceland and France among others, they also had Italy ranked as no.1 in the televoting ranks.

The prime example of this problem was the example of Poland in the UK voting last year. The Polish song sucked but those butter churners propelled it to the number 1 position in the televotes. However, the jury rated it last, resulting in it receiving 0 points from the UK.

Debates about the merits of the song aside, it seems disgusting that a small panel can effectively nullify the views of the voting public.

The prime example of this problem was the example of Poland in the UK voting last year. The Polish song sucked but those butter churners propelled it to the number 1 position in the televotes. However, the jury rated it last, resulting in it receiving 0 points from the UK.

Debates about the merits of the song aside, it seems disgusting that a small panel can effectively nullify the views of the voting public.

On the other hand, there's plenty of arguments to be made for a jury, as it reduces the impact of diaspora voting and, to a lesser extent, bloc voting.

Albania placed 9th overall in the televoting, and we all heard that awful performance.

MicH

Heroes is on the Danish iTunes top 10 twice (first and 10th), Australia's entry is 4th and Russia's entry is 7th

s_mirage

On the other hand, there's plenty of arguments to be made for a jury, as it reduces the impact of diaspora voting and, to a lesser extent, bloc voting.

Albania placed 9th overall in the televoting, and we all heard that awful performance.

While I agree to an extent, I'd argue that the final score should be weighted so that the jury cannot completely nullify the televote result, especially given that the juries have voted before the final. In the example I gave, every vote for Poland was a waste as there was no possibility of Poland ever scoring points from the UK. This is unacceptable, especially when voting costs money.

If we are to keep the 50/50 split, the very least that needs to happen is to replace the juries with larger panels chosen to create a mix of music industry professionals and members of the general public.

While I agree to an extent, I'd argue that the final score should be weighted so that the jury cannot completely nullify the televote result, especially given that the juries have voted before the final. In the example I gave, every vote for Poland was a waste as there was no possibility of Poland ever scoring points from the UK. This is unacceptable, especially when voting costs money.

If we are to keep the 50/50 split, the very least that needs to happen is to replace the juries with larger panels chosen to create a mix of music industry professionals and members of the general public.

I can completely understand your qualms about the current system, but on the other hand, I feel like that there is absolutely no way to have the perfect system anyway.
Obviously the juries have their own agendas and aren't objective, but the same can be said about the televoting. I feel like the 50:50 split between televoting and jury has been an alright system for the most part. It's not very often that examples like you are bringing are the case, anyway.

Oersted

I can completely understand your qualms about the current system, but on the other hand, I feel like that there is absolutely no way to have the perfect system anyway.
Obviously the juries have their own agendas and aren't objective, but the same can be said about the televoting. I feel like the 50:50 split between televoting and jury has been an alright system for the most part. It's not very often that examples like you are bringing are the case, anyway.

It became more likely due to the rule change that juries are not deciding about the top ten, but now about the whole 26/27. So if a jury positions a country at the bottom, it will have no chance. Its stupid.

It became more likely due to the rule change that juries are not deciding about the top ten, but now about the whole 26/27. So if a jury positions a country at the bottom, it will have no chance. Its stupid.

imo the jury should discuss about stuff and democratically decide their point range from 1 to 12. That'd probably be the best solution.

Joni

We should have sent She's After My Piano last year.
Yeah, it is stupid to send the winner. Flanders never elects the best person in those contests. It is difficult to find a Flemish song contest where the winner became the most famous.

Belgium sent a The Voice winner this year.
No, we didn't. He became second. THey just were smart enough to send him instead of the winner. Bellarosa did win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom