• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2017 |OT| Slovenia: "On My Way - to the lowest score"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemWalls

Honestly, while they were revealing the results, I was dumbfounded by the success of Portugal. It was the only performance I couldn't follow so I ended up playing with the phone or something, bland as it was.

And then it wins by near unanimous acclaim. I really don't know what to think.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Thank you all that supported Bulgaria. We did well still. :) A lot of people on my Facebook feed are mad at the Portuguese song. When you think how bad we used to be at this contest and how much we've improved... Maybe we'll win next year. :)
Kid was good, but the song was generic. Last year's Bulgarian song was way better.

Joni

Honestly, while they were revealing the results, I was dumbfounded by the success of Portugal. It was the only performance I couldn't follow so I ended up playing with the phone or something, bland as it was.

And then it wins by near unanimous acclaim. I really don't know what to think.

It is a Disney-esque song sung by a guy that looks completely disarming with a tragic backstory mixed in. It is a perfect storm.

Apzu

it's sweet that they just joined the Song Contest and are already part of a voting bloc. Meanwhile, Ireland doesn't give a fuck
Ireland doesn't care about voting blocs, they are still living in the glory of winning 7 times without needing one.

This remind me that the UK complained it's been 20 years they don't win, but it's been 21 years for Ireland and you don't see them crying for attention.

a few quick stats, I may get something wrong so forgive me:

-Last year Jamala won by 23 points; this year Salvador won by more than 140 points and received more than 200 than Jamala using the same voting system.

-Since the rule about singing in your national language was abolished in 1999, Amar Pelos Dois and Molitva/Молитва in 2007 are the only two winners to be entirely non-English.

-This is the 4th year in a row that a Big 5 country has taken last place, and you'd have to go back to 2011 before one of the Big 5 countries didn't occupy at least one of the last two slots.

-Technically this was the 2nd biggest point margin for a winner ever (behind Alexander Rybak's "Fairytale" in 2009), although this will probably change as the total number of points is now 2x what it used to be

-This ends a 2-year drought of the juries and televoting disagreeing about a winner (the last to share the jury/televote crown was Conchita)

-Portugal matched Sweden's all-time record for 12-points from 18 countries (jury). He received 376 points from televoting and 382 from the juries, which are both more than the combined total Moldova received for 3rd place.
- So basically since the rule change every 10 years a non-english song wins eurovision.

- It's quite unfair to say it's the 4th year in a row with a big five in last, most of the time it's just germany's fault. They almost got 0 points again this year.

- Points changed too much to make any comparison with values, it's probably better to compare using some sort of normalization. Though that would also mean we're taking eurovision too seriously.

é uma letra que se lê

(google translate it and laugh)
This joke only works in portuguese though, most other languages reads "q" as cu, or something close to that like english cue.

Why did you have to say it different Portugal? And why did you have to teach us to read it differently as well?

In short:

Armenia
- Generic and utterly forgettable. At least the dancers were good.
Australia - Time to check whatsapp
Austria - Discount popified(er) Jason Mraz
Azerbaijan - Wannabe 2014 Miley Cyrus / pseudo-trapper with a shitty song
Belarus - Lumineers Kids Edition
Belgium - B-team Adele with a rejected filler song remixed by some Zedd wannabe
Bulgaria - Is that La Roux? Nvm it's some boy with a generic dubstep-lite spiced ballad
Croatia - Credits song for Disney's Hercules 4: Pain and Panic's Periplus. Lol gimmick
Cyprus - We're only going to get the guaranteed 12 from Greece so who cares
Denmark - Rejected MGS song
France - Literally can't remember anything other than a pretty girl
Germany - You won't BELIEVE how these composers tricked DAVID GUETTA'S lawyers
Greece - Am I distracting you from my horrible voice with my beautiful face?
Hungary - I guess someone had to fill Turkey's role somehow
Israel - Legit went to pee after the first 10 seconds so can't comment. Probably bad tho
Italy - Mediocre song with a boring gimmick and cheap "woke" social message
Moldova - "Guys look! It's the leg song hah" was probably their miserably failed goal
Netherlands - Buy the DTV Prince of Egypt 2 movie and get the track for free!
Norway - All the trendy instruments and sounds couldn't save our trash song so... faces!
Poland - Winner of the 2016's James Bond Con of Gdansk fan song contest
Romania - Heidi (2017), the shitty live action reboot nobody asked for. Hot guy tho
Sweden - Uncharismatic Justin Timberlake with your usual swedish "I WANNA WIN" trash
Ukraine - Somewhat decent Billy Talent Zero, still too many calories for Eurovision

And now for the two deserving of more lines.

Portugal - Insufferable pretentious douchebag singing a terrible song that is so boring it could put a fucking 860400kg whale to sleep. Slow pace and little production isn't equal to good song and your song is, in fact, trash

Spain - Hahahahaha. That's a good summary on its own but anyways: laughable wannabe surfer daddy's boy kiddo with below-zero stage presence or experience, awful presentation, annoying "dancers", pathetic Disney Channel third-division-Bieber-döppelganger-show's theme song. In short: absolutely embarrassing garbage.

4/10 one of the worst editions in ages, which is saying a lot because the show is generally trash. An absolute pain to get through.

Oh boy, this is the most pretentious list I've ever read...ever...and I follow film critics...

I had a good night anyway.

Party with friends, lots of drink and food (some nice Hungarian cake) and won 250 euro on the Eurovision
Thanks Portugal and Moldova!

18423766_10156216918723378_5569108505032061012_n.jpg

tumblr_opr3v7mA3x1tuehrqo1_500.gif

Joni

Got around to watching the finals, and it is growing on me how they announce the results.
And as I expected, Britain likely lost votes due to Brexit with that amazing 12 points. Even only got 4 points from Ireland. Good for Lucie that there was still a jury.
Salvador's sister is also a good singer. I'd listen to that duet as well.

Kanhir

Well, our beloved singer did not finished last on the first semi, only Latvia was behind us.

Epic fail once again for RTV Slovenia

I voted for Slovenia and I was super salty when Omar didn't make it through. That song was much better than some of the dross that they let through from the first semi.

I'm getting convinced Portugal sent the wrong person. Luisa for Portugal 2018!

Maybe, but not with that song, no. Think of the optics:

Disheveled, artistic sensitive young man singing how he can love for both of them. Awww...
Far more conventionally attractive young woman doing the same... Look, there's plenty of fish in the sea, have some respect woman, not like you're going to have trouble finding someone.

So now that Portugal finally won for the first time, every country that participated since the 1960s or earlier has won at least once.

Malta and Iceland deserve to win as well imo, especially since both placed 2nd twice, and both got robbed at least once - Iceland in 1999 and Malta in 2005 (I also liked Yohanna more than Rybak, but France should've won 2009 anyway so eh :p). And Malta winning would also wrap up all the 70s debuts.

What do you guys think about the UK entry? I thought it was the best entry from them in years and it was a shame they didn't get higher.

What do you guys think about the UK entry? I thought it was the best entry from them in years and it was a shame they didn't get higher.

unfortunately "best entry in years" is still an extremely low bar.

Lucie and the staging were fine (good, even!) but the song was straight-up bad and the televoters were clearly not interested in big note ballads on Saturday. The Beeb isn't dumb, they know what it would take to send a top 10 entry and they choose not to.

The real crimes this year were Australia doing as well as it did, Armenia doing as poorly as it did, and Finland not making the final :(

The real crimes this year were Australia doing as well as it did, Armenia doing as poorly as it did, and Finland not making the final :(

Can agree 100% with this.

Man I'm gonna be upset for years over Finland being robbed of that spot in the finals. With all the songs about love and happiness and confidence, there are so, so few songs that tackle negative emotions, and especially the feeling of loss and grief is one that generally is not dared being touched in Eurovision.
Not only did Norma John do that, but they also did it in such a beautiful, haunting and spellbinding way. I was genuinely touched by the song, and the lyrics.
Especially considering one of the biggest heartbleeds in my life was caused by someone whom I associate with black birds (though not blackbirds, but whatever).

s_mirage

Good singer, crap song. Our selection process needs to change; it's half panel vote, half public vote, which realistically means that the panel's preferred choice (which I believe was Lucie in this case, or at least rumoured to be as I can't find any indication that their votes were released) has an unfairly high chance of being selected. That wouldn't be so bad but the format is six acts, all with different songs, all pre-picked by the panel. There's no chance of anything truly different from the norm being picked as the panel won't allow anything different to even be a choice.

Apzu

I still dream of Portugal winning with a song like Gente Bestial. It would be quite something to hear a song in Eurovision which features "temos tremoço graudo/ TV que apanha tudo/ Carnaval pelo Entrudo" in its lyrics. Naturally, I don't think a song like that would ever win, but as I said, I can dream.

It was nice, the singer was good but the song wasn't that memorable.

Joni

Maybe, but not with that song, no. Think of the optics:

Disheveled, artistic sensitive young man singing how he can love for both of them. Awww...
Far more conventionally attractive young woman doing the same... Look, there's plenty of fish in the sea, have some respect woman, not like you're going to have trouble finding someone.
She was preceded by a lot prettier women singing about lost love and winning. It is also not like anyone understood what he was singing.

Of course it's only Portugal willing to give actual votes to that atrocity. I propose that the ESC should rescind the prize from Portugal and give it to Bulgaria instead.

Apzu

Portugal gave Spain the 5 televote points they got.
Aha so Spain did get pitty votes from its neighbour, just not from the jury. Just like Switzerland giving Germany 3 points.

Edit:
This link is amazing, there's so much information you can get from it. For instance Portugal's jury didn't give any single point to Bulgaria and the same happened with Bulgaria, which means that the 1st place and 2nd place didn't like each other's entry. And the same thing happens with Italy regarding both Portugal and Bulgaria, which begs the question, did the jury really thought these entries were bad or were they just trying to give less points to countries that could win against their own countries according to bookies?

Keep in mind that it's entirely possible for Spaniards near the border to buy Portuguese phones and vote through those. There's also just generally Spaniards who live in Portugal, Portuguese who have Spanish family/friends, as well as the generally similar tastes in music. Plus of course Portugal didn't have Portugal to vote for.
It all makes sense.

Apzu

Keep in mind that it's entirely possible for Spaniards near the border to buy Portuguese phones and vote through those. There's also just generally Spaniards who live in Portugal, Portuguese who have Spanish family/friends, as well as the generally similar tastes in music. Plus of course Portugal didn't have Portugal to vote for.
It all makes sense.
But if we consider something like a spaniard diaspora, wouldn't that also happen in France? I have no idea which country has more spanish immigrants. Or maybe Portugal has such a small population that any diaspora could favor any country at all.

Edit:
I found this eurovision related polandball and I found the first half very relatable.
https://i.imgur.com/rDgMsP1.png

too big, it's better just writing down the link. But here's probably the best panel.
33A7Qts.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom