• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophiuchus

Eurovision - let us kiss contest.

I missed the final show but it the ranking didn't surprise me.Italy and Spain deserved more though.12 points from Russia to Russia could not save my favorite.Overall, this year contest was an average and the songs are easily forgettable.

I am still scrolling through thread and the illusion I get from comments is unimaginable.You almost improvised each every entry.

oti

Banned
Eurovision - let us kiss contest.

I missed the final show but it the ranking didn't surprise me.Italy and Spain deserved more though.12 points from Russia to Russia could not save my favorite.Overall, this year contest was an average and the songs are easily forgettable.

I am still scrolling through thread and the illusion I get from comments is unimaginable.You almost improvised each every entry.

Only truly memorable performance this year was Latvia.

sono

I just re-played the Russian entry on Youtube. I think this is a great song and good singer. I hope such talent transcend political boundaries and is recognised for that.

I am from the UK and am frankly embarrased at our entry.

Nev

Banned
Wait, the UK song gets hate? It was my favorite and the only thing that didn't make me snooze along with Belgium, Slovenia, Spain and Australia. I knew that the boring generic trash pop forgettable song from Sweden would win anyways, I don't know why I keep watching this predictable "contest".

The UK should know better at this point, you can't send songs that are slighty different to the manufactured by-the-numbers garbage like Sweden's song if you don't want to be humiliated by the people that vote this joke. I'd just withdraw to be honest, they don't deserve the big five giving their presence and exposition to this rubbish show. Germany 0 points ha.

Ophiuchus

It is ridiculous that both Germany and Austria got 0 point.Aside from shitty music, they could have shared some points mutually. They are more than neighbors.
I also understand that nobody likes France (it is newly accepted Eurovision tradition I guess) but they still got points from armenian diaspora (not to mention San-Marino).

Also, UK was a way better than these three.

Jasup

Wait, the UK song gets hate? It was my favorite and the only thing that didn't make me snooze along with Belgium, Slovenia, Spain and Australia. I knew that the boring generic trash pop forgettable song from Sweden would win anyways, I don't know why I keep watching this predictable "contest".

The UK should know better at this point, you can't send songs that are slighty different to the manufactured by-the-numbers garbage like Sweden's song if you don't want to be humiliated by the people that vote this joke. I'd just withdraw to be honest, they don't deserve the big five giving their presence and exposition to this rubbish show. Germany 0 points ha.

Calm down, don't take it so seriously. It's only Eurovision.

Joni

I'd just withdraw to be honest, they don't deserve the big five giving their presence and exposition to this rubbish show. Germany 0 points ha.
The United Kingdom has flopped every year as member of the big five. Compare that to Germany with a win in 2010 and two top 10 places later. Spain got two top 10 places and Italy got four. The UK doesn't have a presence based on that.

oti

Banned
I hope Germany sees this as a wake up call and will either send utter trash or Sweden level of songs to the competition. We aren't particularly proud of our language over here, we aren't France. Germany has the money to not be boring.

Joni

I hope Germany sees this as a wake up call and will either send utter trash or Sweden level of songs to the competition. We aren't particularly proud of our language over here, we aren't France. Germany has the money to not be boring.
It is not like this was the best Germany could send. They literally sent their second-rate candidate.

Ikaran

Neo Member

The most predictable part of the contest is people asking for withdrawal when their country ends in a bad position. Really... just enjoy it. It's a 4 hours show of visually-appealing performances, attractive singers, some nice songs and hilarious comments in Neogaf, what else can you ask? For me it's much more entertaining than any football match.

Noaloha

There was a weird specific quality to this year's show; it sat at a very particular spot on the spectrum between bad music/acts and good music/acts. A spot that I found discomforting, awkward; not particularly entertaining in one way or the other.

It was above the quality level of "so bad it's fun", which meant that I wasn't particularly entertained by the car crash aspect of things as I typically expect to be with Eurovision. But it was below the quality of level of actually decent, watchable musical entertainment.

I can't help but compare it to the Uncanny Valley phenomena.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

The UK entry was horrific. Electro swing is horrible at the best of times, and this was the worst of times. Scat? No one asked for that. No one.

I just finished watching it and I have to say that this year was fairly tame.

I needed more of Austria's fire piano or Azerbaijan’s werewolves. I was hoping to get some unintentionally racist performance out of Guy but all he gave us was street lights.

But it was still good fun. Sweden was impressive if just for the light show but the greatest performance of all was from the Russian singer. The look of abject terror on her face whenever Russia scored 12 points. The wave of relief when she realised they had no chance of winning. She clearly had been given orders to do well but not to win and she succeeded.

Nev

Banned
The UK entry was horrific. Electro swing is horrible at the best of times, and this was the worst of times. Scat? No one asked for that. No one.

Good to know your opinion. I think it was fun and fresh and it was the only song I genuinely liked, mainly because it was different than the rest, which can be classified in the following two groups:

- We don't give a shit (Hungary)
- We are tryhards and want to win this shitty show, here, have a catchy song made to enchant 16yo kids and people that have only listened to the radio during their entire life. (Sweden)

It was a mistake from the UK, for sure. They shouldn't waste time trying to be different.

But it was still good fun. Sweden was impressive if just for the light show but the greatest performance of all was from the Russian singer. The look of abject terror on her face whenever Russia scored 12 points. The wave of relief when she realised they had no chance of winning. She clearly had been given orders to do well but not to win and she succeeded.

lol

For real though, it was terrible that her son in the audience had to see his mother be jeered and booed over things she has no control over, especially after delivering the biggest performance of her life. What an awful way to mar that experience for them, and what a shitty thing for anyone who would wish that on someone. :/

Good to know your opinion. I think it was fun and fresh and it was the only song I genuinely liked, mainly because it was different than the rest, which can be classified in the following two groups:

- We are tryhards and want to win this shitty show, here, have a catchy song made to enchant 16yo kids and people that have only listened to the radio during their entire life. (Sweden)

It was a mistake from the UK, for sure. They shouldn't waste time trying to be different.

You didn't like Latvia's, then? It was far and away the most bold song of this year's competition.

Spyware

Not really. I just opened the Wikipedia page, saw this as news and read a little about the singer. I thought that detail was interesting.
Seems there is a fight between people who want to cover it up completely and people who want to defame him on Wiki atm. There should probably be a note about the stuff he said since it's apparently "important" to people, but stating things like "He later apologised because of the Eurovision contest 2015" as the Wiki did just some minutes ago is simply false.

This is the best thing I've read about the situation. Everyone who thinks he's in any way homophobic or just want to know about the whole thing should read it.

Nev

Banned
You didn't like Latvia's, then? It was far and away the most bold song of this year's competition.

I liked it at first (and kinda like it overall) but it felt like a wasted opportunity, it could've been more. I think the song wasn't quite as good as the singer and presentation. Still one of the best, I had forgotten it for some reason. Norway too.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Electro swing was a minor fad from 5 years ago, and Electro Velvet is a particularly bad example of it. Practically self-parody in a genre that is already marmite. It was a carcrash waiting to happen, which is more interesting than a borefest but no more deserving of doing well.

It wasn't fresh or different, that was Latvia or even Belgium which both did well. It was the BBC just entering any old shit because they don't want the headache of winning. We haven't tried in years, and certainly weren't trying this year.

We didn't do badly for being different, we did badly for being shit.

Electro swing is horrible at the best of times, and this was the worst of times.

Electro swing was a minor fad from 5 years ago, and Electro Velvet is a particularly bad example of it. Practically self-parody in a genre that is already marmite. It was a carcrash waiting to happen, which is more entertaining than a borefest but no more deserving of doing well.

Could you stop shitting on an entire genre just because YOU don't like it?
I could write whole books on how much I don't like metal and think it's shit, yet I'm not going around and call it "horrible at the best of times", or "a fad" or whatever and basically shit on the people who might like the genre itself or even just a few songs coming out of it, just because I'm not fond of it myself.

I like Electro Swing, I think it's a fun genre that deserves its existence as much as any other music genre out there. I liked the UK's entry. It wasn't the best of electro swing, granted, but it wasn't as utter shyte as almost everybody here on GAF seems to think, and I find utterly baffling that someone (i.e. you, DECK'ARD) would consistently go and verbally defecate on everybody who did like it.

It's called different tastes, mate. Go look it up. Nobody is WRONG for liking (or disliking) the UK's song.

Oh, and at the very least, even if you don't like the song, you could admit that the live performance was solid (i.e. never did they miss a single tune) and the stage performance was lively as well, which is something that made it stand out.

Spyware

Yeah the shitting on Electro swing as a genre is getting extremely annoying. I didn't like any of the UK singers but the music wasn't bad. It was a fresh tune in the sea of slow songs this year too.

oti

Banned
UK's song was trash but they did everything they could to make it stand out. Germany's and Austria's songs were way better quality wise but boring.

This is Eurovision.
UK deserves their 5 (was it 5?) points.

It was still trash though but WHO CARES IT'S EUROVISION AFRIKA PAPRIKA

And I didn't know that Electro Swing was a thing before this so I even learned something new. That's nice.

Something being different doesn't automatically mean it's any good. Yes, the UK entry was different but it was poorly executed and about a decade out of date. The BBC does a shit job at appointing contestants. An all around lack of effort is the thing that gets the UK humiliated every year - not salty excuses like "it's political and no one likes us" or "the simpletons don't appreciate our artistic values".

mr-paul

I could write whole books on how much I don't like metal and think it's shit, yet I'm not going around and call it "horrible at the best of times", or "a fad" or whatever and basically shit on the people who might like the genre itself or even just a few songs coming out of it, just because I'm not fond of it myself.

I like Electro Swing, I think it's a fun genre that deserves its existence as much as any other music genre out there. I liked the UK's entry. It wasn't the best of electro swing, granted, but it wasn't as utter shyte as almost everybody here on GAF seems to think, and I find utterly baffling that someone (i.e. you, DECK'ARD) would consistently go and verbally defecate on everybody who did like it.

It's called different tastes, mate. Go look it up. Nobody is WRONG for liking (or disliking) the UK's song.

Oh, and at the very least, even if you don't like the song, you could admit that the live performance was solid (i.e. never did they miss a single tune) and the stage performance was lively as well, which is something that made it stand out.

I'd argue that the live performance was poor. Her voice was weak, there was no stage presence either. Yes, it was lively, but felt so amateur and cheap. Fair enough that you liked the song, but I thought the whole package was terrible.

mr-paul

It's also crazy that after we had some mild success with Jade Ewen and Andrew Lloyd Webber, we didn't build on that and reverted to inviting past it acts with no relevance, then unknowns with poor songs. Well actually, last year's wasn't offensively bad, but not exciting either.

Joni

I think the performance of the UK song can easily be measured. It is only the third Eurovision song on the UK iTunes charts. Not even the UK likes it enough to place it first.

It's also crazy that after we had some mild success with Jade Ewen and Andrew Lloyd Webber, we didn't build on that and reverted to inviting past it acts with no relevance, then unknowns with poor songs. Well actually, last year's wasn't offensively bad, but not exciting either.
At least the BBC is looking to actually change their selection process. They're going for a public selection show.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

I think you're just upset a bad song in a niche genre you like got a universal thumbs-down.

Electro-swing is a gimmicky genre, and the gimmick is so strong that a lot of people find it over-powering. That's why I described it as marmite, ie love/hate. Not a good idea to enter that into Eurovision, and it needed to be a LOT better than it was to overcome it.

I love marmite, but I totally understand why people hate it. It doesn't bother me hearing people say so, I just have some toast anyway :)

Darius

Banned
At the offical eurovision website you can see how the points were distributed. When it comes to the televoting Italy was by far the most successful participant this year, too bad that 5 jury members per country had such a big influence compared to millions of people.

For example Germany from which Italy got the least points from, actually had Italy ranked 1st place in televoting and still ended up with just 3 points from Germany. A similar situation with Iceland and France among others, they also had Italy ranked as no.1 in the televoting ranks.

Peru

The UK song is actually the first in history to be OBJECTIVELY terrible .

At the offical eurovision website you can see how the points were distributed. When it comes to the televoting Italy was by far the most successful participant this year, too bad that 5 jury members per country had such a big influence compared to millions of people.

For example Germany from which Italy got the least points from, actually had Italy ranked 1st place in televoting and still ended up with just 3 points from Germany. A similar situation with Iceland and France among others, they also had Italy ranked as no.1 in the televoting ranks.

I say it ten times every year, get rid of the jurryyyy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom