• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo PS3's campaign is basically a Japanese f2p phone game at full retail price

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I uh, wow...

I don't, but it's related to the game's Campaign Mode.

Basically you have a battery with 10 bars that refills one bar every 5 minutes while in Campaign Mode or every 20 minutes outside of it. You spend one bare for every fight you play, and there's bosses to beat that require multiple fights and/or using more bars of energy so they take more damage. There's also random events, some that use energy too.

This mode needs to be played to unlock alt costumes/colors/quotes/poses and the bosses hold most if them.

You can buy battery refills and consumable special items to find bosses more easily through the PSN.
This thread on GameFAQs implies it was originally 20 minutes in the campaign as well: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/676176-jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle/67175142

Update:

This does not seem to effect other modes:

No. The online mode is just the usual fighting game lobbies. The campaign mode is a special errr... "story mode" I guess. Except instead of story mode it uses the online server to randomly generate events and stuff which saps your energy bars. It's really like a social mobile game in design, complete with leaderboards and stuff. But it's not multiplayer.
It's completely separate :p The (crummy) story mode, versus, online, yaddayadda all have no limits whatsoever. This is kind of like the gashapon mini-games in Smash Bros, only the rewards are customization stuff, which is more relevant to more people.

Hopefully the massive drop in sales dissuades them and other publishers to not do this in future.
I'm all for experimenting with distribution methods, but this is just a scam.

So basically, Campaign Mode is only available through some stupid system designed around microtransactions.

You either wait 20 minutes to be able to play a new match, or pay Namco Bandai money and be able to play a new match instantly. It's incredibly stupid, and the game deserves the hate that it's getting.

VariantX

This is like some kind of nightmare scenario I convinced myself that could never possibly happen when EA started putting micro-transactions into games. And yet, here we are. Ridge Racer Vita was the writing on the wall for this kind of stuff.

Peff

So basically, online multiplayer (Campaign Mode) is only available through some stupid system designed around microtransactions.

You either wait 20 minutes to be able to play a new match, or pay Namco Bandai money and be able to play a new match instantly. It's incredibly stupid, and the game deserves the hate that it's getting.

Online is separate from Campaign. In fact, Campaign isn't even against other people.

Would it stop being a "scam" if they sold the costumes as dlc like Capcom?

I'd rather they make another Atari E.T. quality game than pull this kind of bullshit. I truly believe these sorts of practices will wreck a large part of the industry if they haven't already. Absolutely mind boggling amounts of utter greed that could have only been fuelled by ass-backwards investors wanting to squeeze out that extra penny. EA doesn't have shit on this, holy hell.

Meier

I know people laugh at Famitsu about bought reviews, etc., but this seems particularly egregious and far too obvious. How did they give this a 40? I mean, you'd have expected like a 38 or something was the max they'd give even with a pay-off.

Silky

Banned
Sigh... :(

I still really want this game, too. :v Good thing it doesn't restrict the characters.

Then again, if it only takes 5 minutes to refill one bar, then it would take an hour to fully recharge it. Hm...that's /doable/. It's scummy, but it's do-able.

duckroll

So basically, Campaign Mode is only available through some stupid system designed around microtransactions.

No. The online mode is just the usual fighting game lobbies. The campaign mode is a special errr... "story mode" I guess. Except instead of story mode it uses the online server to randomly generate events and stuff which saps your energy bars. It's really like a social mobile game in design, complete with leaderboards and stuff. But it's not multiplayer.

Chairhome

it used to be 20 minutes for each bar, but they patched it on friday to 5 minutes. I'm not terribly mad about it, just because I don't have the time to play that I used to, but it is stupid and i see why people are mad. In between matches, you get a chance to meet a character from the manga who can replenish your bar immediately, but its random.

This is bizarre, and a shame. I heard so much good about this game. Didn't Famitsu address this in their 10/10/10/10 reviews? Oh, wait...

Road

jojo2ndweek8os8v.png

Sorry, I wrote that comment in a rush. I meant "online mode" not "online multiplayer."

Tain

What is the game's cost? I was under the impression that, at least in the past, Japan had really flexible new game prices.

This is definitely lame-sounding but the thread title is too much of an exaggeration.

Kurtofan

it used to be 20 minutes for each bar, but they patched it on friday to 5 minutes. I'm not terribly mad about it, just because I don't have the time to play that I used to, but it is stupid and i see why people are mad. In between matches, you get a chance to meet a character from the manga who can replenish your bar immediately, but its random.

20 minutes woah.

This is like some kind of nightmare scenario I convinced myself that could never possibly happen when EA started putting micro-transactions into games. And yet, here we are. Ridge Racer Vita was the writing on the wall for this kind of stuff.
Ridge Racer Vita had lots of DLC but at least it was not a full price game. Since Idolmaster Scamco has been loving that DLC revenue, but this is in a completely different league. A new low for the whole industry I think...

So basically, online multiplayer (Campaign Mode) is only available through some stupid system designed around microtransactions.

Campaign mode isn't the online multiplayer. It's an entirely different thing where you fight the CPU-controlled "ghosts" of other players with occasional "boss" versions in order to earn extras.

I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about, I found the mode to be pretty fun in short bursts, but I dunno, that's just me, as I seemed to be the only one here who's actually played the game 9_9

Top Bottom