• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo PS3's campaign is basically a Japanese f2p phone game at full retail price

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What is the game's cost? I was under the impression that, at least in the past, Japan had really flexible new game prices.

This is definitely lame-sounding but the thread title is too much of an exaggeration.

I changed it to list the campaign specifically since apparently it doesn't effect other modes?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What is the game's cost? I was under the impression that, at least in the past, Japan had really flexible new game prices.

This is definitely lame-sounding but the thread title is too much of an exaggeration.

The price is 7,980 Yen.
Or better, it would be that, but sales collapsed so much that it's already at 64% discount on Amazon.co.jp. So, now it's 2,880 Yen.

Peff

I changed it to list the campaign specifically since apparently it doesn't effect other modes?

It's completely separate :p The (crummy) story mode, versus, online, yaddayadda all have no limits whatsoever. This is kind of like the gashapon mini-games in Smash Bros, only the rewards are customization stuff, which is more relevant to more people.

Yasumi

Banned
Canceled my preorder as soon as news about this leaked out near launch. Between the really underwhelming plain text->fight->plain text->fight story mode and this, it just wasn't what I wanted out of a Jojo game.

Campaign mode isn't the online multiplayer. It's an entirely different thing where you fight the CPU-controlled "ghosts" of other players with occasional "boss" versions in order to earn extras.

I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about, I found the mode to be pretty fun in short bursts, but I dunno, that's just me, as I seemed to be the only one here who's actually played the game 9_9
It's more about the principle of the thing. Wouldn't stop me from getting the game since it looks excellent, but having that kind of Farmville shit in a retail release is kind of worrying.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's completely separate :p The (crummy) story mode, versus, online, yaddayadda all have no limits whatsoever. This is kind of like the gashapon mini-games in Smash Bros, only the rewards are customization stuff, which is more relevant to more people.

Thanks.

Well that is the reason for it getting panned in the user reviews.

Still, this is a scary development in game history, especially with 500K sales opening week in Japan. That could EASILY be 1 million in the US if pulled off right.

Steroyd

Oh dear god, Japaneese mobage sensibilities is infiltrating proper games now, when will the madness end!?

I know people laugh at Famitsu about bought reviews, etc., but this seems particularly egregious and far too obvious. How did they give this a 40? I mean, you'd have expected like a 38 or something was the max they'd give even with a pay-off.

I'm guessing because it's fucking JoJo's Bizarre Adventure made up whatever deficit the moneyhat didn't achieve.

LegatoB

The game can be fun and there's a lot of cool fanservice in it, but Campaign Mode's timer is a huge joke, just like story mode. Story mode is a text crawl on loading screens -- super cheap, super lazy, completely embarrassing. A great game to get used in a couple months for half price if you're a fan but not a gotta-have-it-RIGHT-NOW superfan.

narton

No. The online mode is just the usual fighting game lobbies. The campaign mode is a special errr... "story mode" I guess. Except instead of story mode it uses the online server to randomly generate events and stuff which saps your energy bars. It's really like a social mobile game in design, complete with leaderboards and stuff. But it's not multiplayer.

So if you don't have internet, you can't do campaign mode?

duckroll is not the op or any of the people who posted before my comment

Wait, so...are you throwing hands at Niro, or just everyone who posted before you did? Because either way, the energy bar thing is a very silly thing to include in a retail title. That's for Facebook games and other such nonsense.

P.S: It's totally cool to throw hands at Niro, I feel like he makes threads just to crush everyone's dreams at this point :p

Damn. Didn't know that.

I only know from the Media Create threads, but yeah. The drop they had this week was one of the largest ever, though.

Even if this doesn't effect the main mode/online, it sets a disgusting precedent that there are micro-transactions akin to Candy Crush Saga (deliberately throttling access and offering a solution through monetary spending) and other stuff, in a full retail game.
People shouldn't let this pass.

Wait, so...are you throwing hands at Niro, or just everyone who posted before you did? Because either way, the energy bar thing is a very silly thing to include in a retail title. That's for Facebook games and other such nonsense.

I only know from the Media Create threads, but yeah. The drop they had this week was one of the largest ever, though.

The original title was misleading, the thread was created without having actual information, and people were piling on that-that was what I was addressing. I agree that the campaign mode micro transaction nonsense is terrible, but it's not the only part of the game.

The original title was misleading, the thread was created without having actual information, and people were piling on that-that was what I was addressing. I agree that the campaign mode micro transaction nonsense is terrible, but it's not the only part of the game.

Can you explain the other modes and their value versus the campaign mode then please?

In other words, Is campaign mode a small feature? Is all the fun/play time in another mode?

If this mode even makes up half the value of the game, I think it is freaking outlandish and very scary that a company pulled this, and by the sales, somewhat successfully. It is just a good thing it tanked and got panned in user reviews post launch.

Reknoc

I belive it works offline.

You can't use it unless you download something from the PSN store.

It's a dumb mode though, really awful idea. Though I guess either way they'd lock all the stuff you get from that mode behind a paywall anyway.

At first I didn't understand how having a battery in the game mattered. Then I read the Gamefaqs board where someone explained it more simply. Overall that's pretty messed up.

Except you didn't address anything. All you did was say 'lol you guys haven't played the game, whatever nerds' then flew off on your Jojocopter :p

The OP was fine, and Niro's been updating it with info from here, so what's the issue? Was it not quick enough for you? Maybe Niro ran out of bars!

TOX 525605 → 47297 (-91%)
Pirate Warriors 655774 → 90133 (-86%)
JOJO ASB 425718 → 19720 (-95%)

NGBI lol

418883f4.jpg

Can you explain the other modes and their value versus the campaign mode then please?

In other words, Is campaign mode a small feature? Is all the fun/play time in another mode?

If this mode even makes up half the value of the game, I think it is freaking outlandish and very scary that a company pulled this, and by the sales, somewhat successfully. It is just a good thing it tanked and got panned in user reviews post launch.

Campaign mode is used to unlock costumes, taunts, etc.

You can play the full game (online, VS, training, story) without any limitations.

JJD

Holy shit...this is disgusting.

Except you didn't address anything. All you did was say 'lol you guys haven't played the game, whatever nerds' then flew off on your Jojocopter :p

The OP was fine, and Niro's been updating it with info from here, so what's the issue? Was it not quick enough for you? Maybe Niro ran out of bars!

Bwa-hahahaha!

Peff

Campaign mode is basically like playing Versus mode against the CPU and getting extra customization stuff (which is pretty barebones otherwise) and alternate costumes. All the characters, backgrounds and usual modes are available to play without it, and now that they've taken the time limit down you can pretty much get a couple of things a day for free. So given how small-ish the single-player content is otherwise, I'd say this was their attempt at getting people not to sell the game back the very same day, which backfired.

Silky

Banned

Campaign mode is just a mode you can play for a shot to unlock cosmetics like Costumes and Poses. Characters can be unlocked in Story Mode.

...then again, for a JoJo game, it's pretty important. I think backlash would've been worse if the game were to restrict the costumes by DLC packs. At least with this, you have a shot at unlocking everything without paying. Still awful, but they still give the option to pay, right?

I'm still excited for the game, and look forward to playing it. But now I fear for DLC characters! I needz them!

I believe they're keeping that seperate.

To be honest, campaign mode is how you get customization parts for the characters (taunts, colors, and even costumes) so it can unfortunately be a large part depending on how much one cares about customization. Story mode is also abysmally underweight, with only text where there should by rights be at least comic panels if not cutscenes. The story itself has been greatly cut, and some integral characters aren't even playable in the game. The online is horrible (a full second of lag is common), but not as bad is you manage to get someone in your territory. Local multiplayer is the saving grace, because the characters themselves are fun to play and the replication of moves and lines is where the bulk of the fanservice is.

The license was basically horribly handled by Namco Bandai, in my opinion.

Want an Internet cookie?

It really just depends on your feeling about what you are looking for. I see this game like I did with the HNK fighting game. Pure, crazy, fanservice. It has that and the system mechanics are solid even if it leaves a bit to be desired at times.

It was actually worse for a little bit. After the first weekend it took like 3 hours or something for the battery to regenerate completely, CC2 made the times a lot better. After battles you also have a chance of getting NPCs to regenerate it for you like Pocoloco.

It is kind of a shame they put in something like this, but at the very least you can unlock alt costumes for free. But I will agree with others and say that this and story mode are kind of underwhelming in general.

It's more about the principle of the thing. Wouldn't stop me from getting the game since it looks excellent, but having that kind of Farmville shit in a retail release is kind of worrying.

I'll be honest and say I'm not very familiar with phone/social games, but I never found myself to be even once tempted to buy any of the items for Campaign mode. It at the very least keeps me coming back to the game every day to see if I can unlock any new costumes or colors or whatnot.
I honestly far, far prefer it over just making the costumes paid DLC (Not to say this game doesn't have some scummy DLC tactics in regards to characters, but until they start charging for DLC costumes that I can't get in this mode, then Campaign is in the clear for now)

I'll be honest and say I'm not very familiar with phone/social games, but I never found myself to be even once tempted to buy any of the items for Campaign mode. It at the very least keeps me coming back to the game every day to see if I can unlock any new costumes or colors or whatnot.
I honestly far, far prefer it over just making the costumes paid DLC (Not to say this game doesn't have some scummy DLC tactics in regards to characters, but until they start charging for DLC costumes that I can't get in this mode, then Campaign is in the clear for now)
Mobile/social games are much harsher. Like you'd get 10 Energy but it would take hours and hours to get it back and you can't play at all without it.

5 minutes per energy while in the mode is pretty bearable and being able to unlock costumes is nifty.

Tizoc

Yes. You can still play as characters you unlocked through the 'Story mode' and play online.

What Campaign mode is for, IIRC, is to unlock customization items to change your character's look, like having Jolyne/Jolene wear a bikini, etc.

geebee

Banned
It's only campaign mode that this affects.

Sold Damn near 400K in it's first week. No bomb.
Yep, I don't see a problem with it. Once you unlock all characters in Story mode, I play Campaign only to unlock outfits. Rest of the time I'm in VS or playing online.

The backtracking patches, plummeting sales, and bad word of mouth give me hope people are becoming smarter about companies taking things out from behind effort and skill walls and behind paywalls.

Who knows, maybe they'll remove it completely and I'll actually buy it now! :D

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Bad word of mouth hit also Fist of the north star Mosou and One Piece Mosou...isn't it?
And still people bought this one at launch en masse...

Krakn3Dfx

Campaign mode is used to unlock costumes, taunts, etc.

You can play the full game (online, VS, training, story) without any limitations.

So campaign doesn't equal story?

If you can play the full game, seems like less of an issue than this was originally made out to be.

geebee

Banned
So campaign doesn't equal story?

If you can play the full game, seems like less of an issue than this was originally made out to be.
It really is. Campaign besically has you fight ghost data/characters customized by other players and random bosses(defeating them over the course of a series of fights will get you a prize).

Top Bottom