• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: Vita TV can "technically" support streaming PS3 games via Gaikai

PaulLFC

I don't think this was anything we didn't assume already, but nice to see some confirmation:

We know that the PS Vita TV will play PSP, PSOne and Vita titles, and will even (eventually) be able to stream PS4 titles once both devices are on sale. But how about PS3?

Andrew House, Sony Computer Entertainment CEO, explained in a round-table interview that the tiny streaming set is "technically" capable of supporting PS3 titles through the same cloud-based streaming that will bring PS3 titles to its successor. It makes sense, (if it can stream fancier games from the PS4, titles from console iteration no.3 should be a cinch, right?) but it's the first time we've heard that Sony is considering it.

We're hoping the feature eventually makes it, if only to make amends for the confusing backwards-compatibility saga that the PS3 previously suffered.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/12/ps-vita-tv-can-technically-support-ps3-games/

Via Nikkei:

House: The "PS Vita TV" is like a small set-top box (STB) that allows to play various games. It is connected to a TV via an HDMI cable. With the PS Vita TV, it is possible to download not only games developed for the PS Vita but also games developed for the first-generation PlayStation and PSP via the Internet.

In the future, SCE will offer games developed for the PS3 to PS4 and PS3 by using a cloud-based game distribution service. Technically, the PS Vita TV can support such games. Therefore, SCE is considering providing PS3 games to the PS Vita TV by using the service in the future.

In addition to games, web browsing and e-mail, the PS Vita TV supports video distribution services, flat-rate music distribution services and electronic book distribution services.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20130912/302940/

Ploid 3.0

So somehow it will be able to play games from every Playstation device if you also have a PS4. PS4+Vita match made in Playstation Heaven. This Vita TV is so mine.

I actually liked Gaikai and Onlive. Onlive more because it had a lot of cool features, like that wall with a ton of videos playing of spectating people, click the video and you're watching someone play a game real time. Want to play a game, or demo it for a little bit? Instantly play it.

Coolwhip

Banned
All this Gaikai talk, does anyone have actual hands on impressions of it? I still don't buy that this will be a lagfree experience.

All this Gaikai talk, does anyone have actual hands on impressions of it? I still don't buy that this will be a lagfree experience.

The impressions from Gakai a number of years back were what I would call "unacceptable" latency.

There is only so much that can be done to prevent the necessary latency.

Ploid 3.0

It wasn't lag free but playable. I wouldn't want to play a fighting game on it, but Dead Space was nice. I played Virtua Tennis, Assassin's Creed 2, and more games on Onlive and they were great. Again not perfect as if you were playing straight from the HDD.

It was decent back in the day. (Before Sony buyout)

I wouldn't imagine playing any shooters or racers there, but it was fine with any other type of slower paced games.

Lag is of course, dependant on their servers and your own internet, but the infrastructure is real.

OKDAxvq.jpg

I heard you like streaming.

I mean, if the PS4 does it, and the Vita can stream from the PS4...

You're streaming from the cloud to the PS4 to the Vita.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Have you actually ever used Gaikai? It really wasn't that good on PC. This seems like a big waste of money to me. The servers are better used for MP games imo.
Don't you think it's a bit of a stretch to base your opinion on an old unrelated implementation? Lets see what they can really do.

Newline

Well if gaikai is anything like OnLive then it will be a highly playable experience.

I don't have amazing internet but yet still I can play game very well through the onlive service.

RalchAC

Have you actually ever used Gaikai? It really wasn't that good on PC. This seems like a big waste of money to me. The servers are better used for MP games imo.

If they have spend 300 million dollars in buying Gaikai, I think they have a good plan going on. It's a huge investment, they won't do it if they don't think it can be profitable. When Gaikai finally launches, it will probably be much better than when they were and independent company.

And, although I don't know much about how this works, I suppose the tools Gaikai use to work will be optimized to the PS hardware.

Sophia

Well if gaikai is anything like OnLive then it will be a highly playable experience.

I don't have amazing internet but yet still I can play game very well through the onlive service.

Consider yourself lucky then. OnLive was virtually unplayable for me. Latency was too much for anything except the slowest of games. Gaikai was better, but it was barely "acceptable" at best...

I have no confidence in Sony's streaming solution. None at all. I have not seen it work at an acceptable level yet.

acm2000

ps3 gaikai this, ps3 gaikai that, yet they have yet to explain how it would even be feasibly possible to do unless sony has stock piled 100,000 ps3 units for a server farm

Ploid 3.0

OKDAxvq.jpg

I heard you like streaming.

I mean, if the PS4 does it, and the Vita can stream from the PS4...

You're streaming from the cloud to the PS4 to the Vita.

No the vita will access gaikai itself, what he said about the PS4 with PS3 games is that some games may be re released on PS4 like the PS2 HD remakes on PS3, and you can stream those remade ps3 games from the PS4 to vita.

DBT85

This is entirely as expected. It all depend son how good Gaikai turns out.

(if it can stream fancier games from the PS4, titles from console iteration no.3 should be a cinch, right?)

I honestly wonder about Engadget sometimes.

ps3 gaikai this, ps3 gaikai that, yet they have yet to explain how it would even be feasibly possible to do unless sony has stock piled 100,000 ps3 units for a server farm

They don't have to explain it, they just have to do it.

If when Gaikai launches people can play Uncharted 3, TLOU, etc on their PS4s, then the system works.

I don't care if they have to build a Quantum Zipple Flange Cooler to make it happen.

I'd love to know how they'll do it, as it won't be piles and piles of PS3s, and doing it with racks and racks of custom PS3s in 19" blade type units would be nuts.

I'm sure we'll hear more about it though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Isn't that pretty much why they bought gaikai? To get their server coverage?

From what I've played of Mass Effect 3 there was no lag, it was 720p and probably medium setting because it looked like the PS360 version.

Ein Bear

God, I hope Sony can pull off all this Gaikai streaming stuff. I suppose we'll get an idea of how well the tech works when the PS4 launches, and we can try out Vita remote play.

Ploid 3.0

Isn't that pretty much why they bought gaikai? To get their server coverage?

He means the PS3 hardware that will be able to play the PS3 games. Like a emulator, or some chip on the servers like onlive had PCs that were able to run multiple games(?) at once. Whatever their solution is it's probably some big box solution that can play multiple PS3 games or something, and have a ton of them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What i do want to know is if they will cover the bandwidth cost, because this seems like a great way to use up your bandwidth caps.

Which isn't really that great.

Newline

Consider yourself lucky then. OnLive was virtually unplayable for me. Latency was too much for anything except the slowest of games. Gaikai was better, but it was barely "acceptable" at best...

I have no confidence in Sony's streaming solution. None at all. I have not seen it work at an acceptable level yet.

When did you try and and from where?

I'm in the UK and I tried it around a month ago.

What i do want to know is if they will cover the bandwidth cost, because this seems like a great way to use up your bandwidth caps.

Which isn't really that great.
Aren't Sony making deal with UK internet provider for a gaming focused internet subscription. Not sure what it meant though

I really, really hope that they have good infrastructure so i can just gameshare the few console exclusives to my vita that I want to play this gen.

It boggles the mind, how this hasn't been implemented already. I suppose PS+ is arguably better than netflix.

it hasn't been implemented because the infrastructure didn't exist. streaming a game is a lot more difficult than streaming a movie because of latency issues.

Gaikai had it, and Onlive had it- and Gaikai's implementation was light years past onlive's.
This is why Sony just bought them rather than build their own.

And this is before we get into how complicated licensing issues would be.

Why would they. Do Netflix cover your bandwidth costs?

They'll probably try to co-locate Gaikai servers in local ISP farms the way Netflix has started doing. Gaikai's philosophy has always been to have widely distributed servers to minimize ping, rather than OnLive's approach of using a few strategically located server farms. And by being "inside" and ISP's network they get the best ping and don't count against bandwidth caps.

DieH@rd

Banned

I tried it when it was active on PC, and it worked just fine. I tested several games with it [also, Onlive, but their server was more distant].

2San

If they have spend 300 million dollars in buying Gaikai, I think they have a good plan going on. It's a huge investment, they won't do it if they don't think it can be profitable. When Gaikai finally launches, it will probably be much better than when they were and independent company.

And, although I don't know much about how this works, I suppose the tools Gaikai use to work will be optimized to the PS hardware.
Yeah, they spent 300 million on something that didn't really work. That's why I'm wondering why they took the risk.
Don't you think it's a bit of a stretch to base your opinion on an old unrelated implementation? Lets see what they can really do.
Streaming tech is unproven for video games.
I tried it when it was active on PC, and it worked just fine. I tested several games with it [also, Onlive, but their server was more distant].
Honestly if you think that blurry mess and latency was fine, then you are fine with anything really. I think it's disservice to the creators to play games like that. For example do you think you could accurately review a game that was streamed over Gaikai. The real thing and Gaikai is like night and day.

kartu

Banned
Pardon my ignorance, why would I use this thing?
Why would I play something over the internet, instead of using existing PS3/buying one (considering how cheap they are nowadays)?

Vashetti

Banned
Pardon my ignorance, why would I use this thing?
Why would I play something over the internet, instead of using existing PS3/buying one (considering how cheap they are nowadays)?

• For those who traded in their consoles to afford the new one.
  • For those who want an all-in-one console.
  • Once the infrastructure works well enough, Playstation will have its own Netflix for games. That's an incredibly desirable proposition.

Honestly if you think that blurry mess and latency was fine, then you are fine with anything really. I think it's disservice to the creators to play games like that. For example do you think you could accurately review a game that was streamed over Gaikai. The real thing and Gaikai is like night and day.

There are reviews of Gaikai up and running years ago. none mentioned a "blurry mess" at all.

as for latency, every multiplayer game that exists right now has latency of some sort. It's an expectation that comes with online. Minimizing it is certainly possible.

Third, Gaikai is not meant as a replacement for new release games. at all. Those will still require either a download or disc based release to be playable. The Gaikai implementation is for remote play when away from the PS4, in which case your options are "play with some latency or don't play at all" or support for legacy titled on PS2 or PS3 that would be problematic without building in BC hardware no one wants to pay for.

KAL2006

Banned
I feel that Gakai shit is pointless. They could have easily had PS1 and PS2 emulator. As for PS3 games they could have ported their best titles, hell a lot if 3rd party games for PS3 were available for PC and I'm sure porting PC version to PS4 wouldn't be a huge task.

homulilly

Banned
I still dont think gaikai is actually going to be as revolutionary as people think it is. Doesn't anyone remember OnLive? It was a complete disaster. Sure it's been awhile since then but the fundamental structure of the Internet hasn't changed and that's what's preventing streaming games from being anything but painful lagfests. We haven't even fixed lag in online games and now people want to put the entire game online? Streaming games that actually work well are almost as ridiculous as Microsoft's "improving graphics with the power of the cloud."

I would hope that they have improved it since 2011.

how? none of the bottlenecks that hold it back have improved. It's an infrastructure problem, it will take years/decades to work without flaws.

I can't give any credit to people saying it's ok then piling in on Digital Foundry comparison threads. It is hypocritical to praise Gaikai and get involved in the minutae of cross-platform differences.

If you really think it's ok, then cancel your PS4 preorders, save yourself the money, wait for the first price drop. Nothing in the first couple of years will be a leap over PS3 except in fine graphical detail.

Top Bottom