• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid V Day Time Demo: Must Watch!

Vire

NEW: Youtube Day Time Demo Taken From Sony TGS Stream

And if you missed it the other day:

Youtube Night Time Demo Taken From Sony TGS Stream

ib1LQfVbIACqq4.gif

Thanks to raven777 for the gif.

Kojima said:
-Spec ops is something that you don't have to do(not required for story)

-He wants to give feel of survivor game, he doesn't want players to feel of game where "if I take 3 more hits, I will die" so no HUD for life. But he is willing to listen to user feedback.

-Initially the slow-mo and enemy tagging/marking was not in the game. But without these the game was way too difficult and it was hard to figure out how, by whom you were caught. So he is testing out various stuff and tagging/marking and slow-mo was placed. He is currently considering the option of having an option to turn on/off on tagging and slow-mo. Kojima personally like these features, but he is willing to take user feedback on this.

-Fulton recovery system is in The Phantom Pain, but not in Ground Zeros.

-He keeps on talking about user feedback. He won't change the core concept of the game, but things regarding controls and user interface he could change.

TriGen

Just finished watching the whole thing. I thought it looked good.

The video quality still isn't amazing but it's a lot better than the live-stream, so like the OP says you should watch it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's obvious it was played on God mode, there's no way a player can or should be able to endure that amount of bullets without cover.

I really liked how dynamic it was though! How the escape helicopter crashed, how you can set traps, enhanced CQC and controls. I just hope that there's the stealth we've always loved and improved.

dukeoflegs

The blood on the screen looked more like when a film lamp heats up and puts holes in the film.

Other than that the game looks fun as hell. Very hectic fire fights once caught.

*Edit: #teambigbossmissionsareVRmissions

No_Style

A few observations and questions:

• I wonder why Snake stopped wielding the knife during interrogations. Right now it just looks like he's giving the soldier an embrace from behind.
  • Did they give any context as to why Snake can still see people marked on the HUD? In Crysis they attribute that to the suit's visor. It's not vital but MGS always has some fun little piece of context for this stuff. Solid EYE etc
  • I sincerely hope that the lack of HUD elements remains in the final version

raven777

The blood on the screen looked more like when a film lamp heats up and puts holes in the film.

Other than that the game looks fun as hell. Very hectic fire fights once caught.

*Edit: #teambigbossmissionsareVRmissions

its intentional. Kojima said its like a film burning.

Looks utterly amazing. You're obviously not going to be able to do this kind of thing on the higher difficulty levels, but for a playthrough on Normal it's going to be glorious. I love all of BB's new moves, like diving onto his belly and rolling around shooting guys like Max Payne (and the sideways rolls from MGS4 are still there!), and the new CQC moves look fantastic. I'm also really overjoyed to see that Big Boss can carry more than four weapons at a time. At about 10:16 in this footage you can see that the basic weapon wheel seems to branch off into sub-weapon-wheels; he has grenades in the right hand slot, but then he's able to go into that menu to pick what kind of explosive he wants to use. It looks like it's controlled with the D-pad, so I imagine you'd hit right on the D-pad to select your grenade, or double-tap it to change your selected explosive. Having a limited loadout is something I really didn't like in Peace Walker, so I'm really glad to see they're back to the ol' Metal Gear thing of carrying around every crazy weapon and item you find.

• Did they give any context as to why Snake can still see people marked on the HUD? In Crysis they attribute that to the suit's visor.

I'm guessing it's linked to his holographic radar thing. I'm sure there'll be a ten-minute CODEC conversation in the game to explain exactly how it works.

$200

Banned
I'm expecting no x-ray vision + very little health regen for extreme difficulty. Can't wait to play this...sadly it probably won't be out till 2015 :(

Kallor

what's with the seeing enemies through walls xray shit.

Anyways, with GTAV now in my console this is my most hyped upcoming game along with Dark Souls 2.

Did they give any context as to why Snake can still see people marked on the HUD? In Crysis they attribute that to the suit's visor. It's not vital but MGS always has some fun little piece of context for this stuff. Solid EYE etc

I assume Big Boss is just that badass and superhuman he can keep track of every soldier he has marked, as for the see through wall thing, maybe he can hear them or something.

Zen

Banned
Not sure why people were so down on the nighttime footage or now are apparently restored with this footage, did people really think this wouldn't be possible based on the nighttime stuff?

The X-ray vision and enemy tagging, in fact every part of the HUD, looks like it's linked to this thing:
ground-zeroes-holographic-map-560x314.jpg

They all share the same silvery holographic style, and you can see whenever BB pulls up the map all the enemies he's tagged show up as dots on it. What we see from third person view is a representation of the information BB has on his iDroid, but overlaid on the world so we don't have to keep looking down at it all the time. Seems like they're going for a Dead-Space-style in-world HUD.

Not sure why people were so down on the nighttime footage or now are apparently restored with this footage, did people really think this wouldn't be possible based on the nighttime stuff?

Thats what it seemed, Everyone overreacting like always.

Mariolee

Am I crazy, or was there a ton of texture pop-in from the trees' shadows at the end? Other than that, looks really good. I'm not sure what kind of expectations you guys had for next-gen, but I think at least for something cross-gen this looks fantastic.

Cwarrior

Xray shit makes little sense in stealth game, you can clearly see where all the enemies even through walls, kills off any of the tension of sneaking/stealth.

It also doesn't look next gen at all, it looks like an average looking ps3 game on ps4.

synce

Yeah it sucks that the entire game is designed around xray mechanics. You either have to deal with it or play on a stupidly hard difficulty.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Snake's not very good at stealth at the end. :p

I'm glad they moved his fanny pack. Can't stop the view of dat ass now.

It seems like they've implemented a weapons system like Max Payne 3. In that game you could only carry as many weapons as you had hands and holsters for, so if you were carrying a shotgun and switched to dual pistols Max would drop the shotgun, or if you just used one pistol he'd fire it one-handed while holding the rifle with the other.

In this demo it seems like Big Boss can carry the one assault rifle he has slung over his shoulder, then one more large gun on his back, and one more in his hands. You see him CQC that one guy and take his weapon away, but he only uses it until it runs dry and then he drops it.

benzy

The pace at which BB moves looks fine to me. Personally don't think it's too fast at all. Sprinting looks pretty much how fast you would expect from a real life trained athlete or soldier.

Zen

Banned
Yeah it sucks that the entire game is designed around xray mechanics. You either have to deal with it or play on a stupidly hard difficulty.

You actually believe that they're going to completely exclude other tools to detect enemies? They didn't in Peace Walker.

Vire

While other things are much better in other games, this probably has some of the best lighting I've ever seen.

Top Bottom