• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac talks exclusivity & Sunset Overdrive - "Ratchet could end up on Xbox 1 day

Status
Not open for further replies.

satam55

Banned
Insomniac talks exclusivity and Sunset Overdrive - "Ratchet could end up on Xbox one day"
"I would not count on it being on the PS4," says community developer, but "you never know"

We've seen and heard little of Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive since the Xbox One exclusive's announcement at E3, which is rather disappointing for me personally - a world in which little is said about a game that looks like Crackdown's spiritual successor isn't a world I want to inhabit. Accordingly, I've just been on a jaunt round the developer's forum, and there are some asides from community web developer Tim Salvitti that you may be interested in.

First off, Insomniac likes what it's seen of the new Kinect, but has yet to decide how it will be used in Sunset Overdrive. "I wouldn't worry too much about it," Salvitti told one anxious community member. "Kinect 2.0 has some awesome new features that could really enhance the experience. It is also far and away better than Kinect 1.0. That being said, we have not determined how Kinect will be involved in Sunset yet.

screenshot_35168_thumb_wide940.jpg

He also shared a little more on the game's supporting technology - it runs on an upgraded, Xbox One-tailored version of the engine that powered Fuse, the developer's underwhelming Xbox 360 debut. "The version of the engine Sunset is running will be optimized to get the most out of that console. We could show you, but we are waiting until the kick-ass meter hits 12 (out of 10... or maybe 5) first."

Last but not least, there's the following on exclusivity. To cut a long story short, Insomniac has no plans to release Sunset Overdrive on consoles besides Xbox One - "no need to beat the proverbial dead horse" - but given that the independent studio apparently owns all its IP from this point on, a multiplatform release isn't impossible at some point in the very nebulous future. In fact, nothing's impossible.

"Sunset Overdrive is and will be exclusive to the Xbox One," Salvitti told the creator of a petition for a PlayStation version. "Petitions will not change that. We have a partner in Microsoft, that we are happy with for this title. That doesn't mean we can't and won't work with other publishers (see Into the Nexus)."

"I would not count on it being on the PS4," he explained to another user. "I will not say never because you never really know (heck Ratchet could end up on Xbox one day), but we are not planning on it being on the PS4, nor is it planned to be a timed exclusive. It is being developed and optimized for the Xbox One."

Here's a bit of context: back in June, studio boss Ted Price had this to say about Insomniac's teaming up with Microsoft to release Sunset Overdrive. "It may surprise some of our longtime fans that we have partnered with Microsoft Studios to develop Sunset Overdrive exclusively for Xbox One. When we first began discussing this idea with Microsoft, we were initially hesitant to shift back into an exclusive arrangement.

"But as the Microsoft team began introducing us to the abilities and philosophies driving the development of Xbox One, we knew that Sunset Overdrive was a perfect fit. The Xbox One and Xbox Live will support our ambitions to create an ongoing two-way dialogue with our community.

"It will also allow us to have quicker production cycles, enabling timely content updates for new weapons, characters, storylines and even pop culture-relevant content like memes based on social commentary.

screenshot_34913_thumb_wide940.jpg

Many of you may be asking what this news means for Insomniac," he went on. "What about Ratchet & Clank? What about Fuse? Others may ask why we have 'abandoned' our PlayStation heritage. The truth is, not a lot has changed. Insomniac has been, is, and will continue to be 100% independent. We have treasured that independence for the last 19 years.

"It now allows us to own and control our IP, and find the most suitable partners to make those IP a reality. While we are excited about partnering with Microsoft on Sunset Overdrive, that doesn't mean we can't or wouldn't make games with our longtime friends at Sony. That's the magic of being an independent developer."

Also according to Price, Sunset Overdrive may avail itself of the "pretty large potential" offered by Xbox One's cloud. Any thoughts on the game so far?

http://www.oxm.co.uk/63422/insomniac-talks-exclusivity-and-sunset-overdrive-ratchet-could-end-up-on-xbox-one-day/

snoop.png
Sony owns the IP for "Ratchet & Clank".

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Community web developer Tim Salvitti needs to do some research.

I'm fine with Insomniac being independent but they should take on interesting projects unlike Fuse.

Guymelef

Comparing Ratchet IP owned by Sony and...

SUNSET OVERDRIVE and the SUNSET OVERDRIVE logo are the trademarks of Insomniac Games, Inc. INSOMNIAC and the INSOMNIAC GAMES symbol are the registered trademarks of Insomniac Games,

Genius...

Cade

"It will also allow us to have quicker production cycles, enabling timely content updates for new weapons, characters, storylines and even pop culture-relevant content like memes based on social commentary.
This is exactly what I wanted out of a video game. If only I could maybe buy DLC that allowed me to have a "Le Troll Face"! That would be so current and hip.

I think he might be joking here, implying that the chances of SO being on the PS4 have about as much chance as R&C coming to the Xbox...(since Sony own the R&C IP)

Dio

Banned
I think he might be joking here, implying that the chances of SO being on the PS4 have about as much chance as R&C coming to the Xbox...(since Sony own the R&C IP)

This is what I got out of it. Ratchet is one of the Sony mascots, it would be like a Mario game on PS4.

Magwik

Banned
"But as the Microsoft team began introducing us to the abilities and philosophies driving the development of Xbox One, we knew that Sunset Overdrive was a perfect fit. The Xbox One and Xbox Live will support our ambitions to create an ongoing two-way dialogue with our community
So they were offered a big bag of money?

WJD

That's how I took it. Either way, can't wait to see more on Sunset Overdrive.

Ryuuga

Banned
"But as the Microsoft team began introducing us to the abilities and philosophies driving the development of Xbox One, we knew that Sunset Overdrive was a perfect fit. The Xbox One and Xbox Live will support our ambitions to create an ongoing two-way dialogue with our community.

So how cohesive is that philosophy after the 180?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So what if sony own the ip? Its just simply meant to illustrate the point of "never say never".

2 years ago nobody will have thought that sony will start making playstation games for the ios and look here we are.

Insomniac own the Sunset Overdrive IP though, so they could put it on PS4 if they saw it would be profitable to them, unlike R&C which is locked up with Sony.

madmackem

So what if sony own the ip? Its just simply meant to illustrate the point of "never say never".

2 years ago nobody will have thought that sony will start making playstation games for the ios and look here we are.

Its about as likely as mario on xbox or ps4, or halo on ps4.

I still feel like Insomniac is salty about Sony. Don't know why though, Sony gave them every opportunity.

Insomniac wanted to own the IPs they developed and Sony clearly didn't allow that. Resistance lacked a cohesive identity, perhaps something went on there between publisher and developer we don't know about that made them want to move multi platform.

Also, I'm pretty sure as a few others have said he was comparing the chances of SO on PS4 to Ratchet on Xbox...

CREMSteve

Insomniac went from being one of my favourite AAA game developers to just another average joe in like, 12 months.

It's quite sad, really.

amardilo

What worries me about this article is that it says Sunset Overdrive is using the engine that powered Fuse.

Fuse didn't look like a bad game but visually it wasn't anything special and some reviews I read said the AI wasn't very good (not sure if AI is tied to the engine or if they can use cloud computing to help power AI routines).

Normally Insomniac's tech is pretty good (well the PS3 stuff they did for the early Ratchet and Clank games looked really good for the time) I hope whatever they do to that engine it is a big upgrade on Fuse.

Toppot

I don't see how this is thread worthy. All Vitti was saying was 'anything is possible' Sony could go under or sell the right for R&C to Xbox. Its really, really, really, really unlikely but not impossible. Context.

Just a case of a needlessly sensational headline to get clicks.

Sony already have their 10million selling franchise. Its called Gran Turismo.

I really don't get what you're trying to say. Sony wouldn't care for more 10 million selling franchises? Just as I'm sure MS would take GT in a heartbeat if it were available, similarly Sony wouldn't hesitate a second to make a Halo game if it could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom