• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Insomniac port Sunset Overdrive to PS?

Game is shite though. You get nothing from playing this if you already have played Spiderman.

I found it more fun than Spiderman personally. Sunset Overdrive is one of those games that would probably have a sequel and an army of fans if it had been a playstation exclusive.

Last edited:

GHG

It's... really one of my favorite games ever.
I honestly wasn't expecting much, because it didn't seem that crazy in videos, but when I finally played it, what a joy it was.

I'm a huge fan of arcade / scoring games, like Tony Hawk, SSX and all, which don't exist anymore sadly, and I also love fast paced action games. This game is exactly the mix of that.

It's really up to the player to make the game fun or not though, if you decide to do the bare minimum, you can technically just play it like dead rising and it's not really fun, it's pretty generic. But if you want to have fun and embrace the gameplay to be creative, it's an insane game with so much freedom.

I really think this game has the most fun traversal gameplay of any games I ever played. Plus the open world is for once very fun, because it's not filled with boring sidequests everywhere, instead it has a bunch of environmental and various arcade / scoring challenges everywhere which are super fun and so addictive, it really reminded me of Tony Hawk in that way.

It really felt like a game out of time, it's a game from early 2000s, in the best ways, made with modern tech, and it was a fantastic experience. I miss games like this so much, I really was happy to finally be able to play something new like this.

edit: reading all the comments and seeing how everyone think it's trash, it makes me sad :messenger_crying:

Tried to get into it twice. Once on the Xbox One and again on PC (I primarily purchased it on PC to support Microsoft finally staring to release their games on Steam).

Both times I failed to get far enough to get the air dash ability. I've been told it's a game changer but I just couldn't suffer through it long enough.

Larxia

Tried to get into it twice. Once on the Xbox One and again on PC (I primarily purchased it on PC to support Microsoft finally staring to release their games on Steam).

Both times I failed to get far enough to get the air dash ability. I've been told it's a game changer but I just couldn't suffer through it long enough.
I don't know if it would help, and it might not be your thing, but I find the game a LOT more enjoyable with mouse and keyboard.
It's the type of game that seems like it would play better on controller, but it's, in my opinion, not actually the case.

It's kind of like games like doom and such, you really unlock the true gameplay if you play with a mouse, because you instantly have access to a lot more freedom in your movements. In Sunset Overdrive, unlike Tony Hawk for example, the gameplay is mostly based on the camera position, it will determine your movements and abilities. With a mouse you can for example do an instant 180 and wall jump between walls very quickly, which is something you wouldn't be able to do, or really not as quickly, with a controller.

It's just my thoughts but I find the game a lot more classic and limited with a controller, while playing it with a mouse really pushes it much further.

yurinka

Sony has the IP now, so maybe not a port because MS may have the rights but they could do a sequel or highly modified remake or reboot if desired.

But I don't see why they would want to bring it back, since it had poor sales. Insomniac is way more successful with Ratchet, Spider-Man and soon Wolverine. They also didn't make any new IP (even if Spider-Man or Wolverine are more ore less a new IP for them) or VR stuff for a while, so maybe they'll make a new IP or VR stuff after Wolverine.

I'd ask them to have a 3:1 ratio of existing and new IPs. Out of every 4 games they make, 2 would be Marvel games, 1 would be a sequel of an Insomniac IP (mostly Ratchet) and 1 would be a brand new Insomniac IP.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Youre not missing much.
Game has this 'how you doing fellow kids' vibe.

It was one of the first games I tried when I got GamePass for the first time and I couldn't get through the first level. It felt like the game was trying too hard to feel cool.

Insomniac has a bunch of much more valuable IPs now, IMO. Between Ratchet&Clank, Spider Man and Wolverine they have their hands full, and if they were to revive an older IP I'd rather have Resistance back.

Port begging is such a waste of time.
plan GIF

AmuroChan

If Insomniac goes back to any old IPs at all, I think it'll be Resistance. There is a much bigger need in Sony's first party portfolio for a FPS than it does with another third person game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If Insomniac goes back to any old IPs at all, I think it'll be Resistance. There is a much bigger need in Sony's first party portfolio for a FPS than it does with another third person game.
I really want them to make a new Stormland for PSVR2. That game had so much potential, but they more or less dropped support for it as soon as it launched because of the Sony buyout.

Don’t think can, ms own original game, just like crash bandicoot, they need ms approval, don’t see it happening, as the game bombed when released.

Mr Moose

It didn't sell well so no they won't, but yes they could (Sunset Overdrive Remake).
Don’t think can, ms own original game, just like crash bandicoot, they need ms approval, don’t see it happening, as the game bombed when released.
Sony/Insomniac own the IP. MS don't own Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:

EDMIX

yes and it likely wouldn't be Insomniac but a port team or something.

Also to my understanding the IP trumps any publishing thing as we've seen titles outright change the name of a game based on those disputes like when F.E.A.R 2 almost released as Project Origins.

I think with any remaster, that shouldn't be an issue. It would be nice to see a port to see if anyone is interested in the IP, but I think their focus will be on Spiderman and Wolverine for the foreseeable future. Any room they did have for something like this was to support Ratchet while their other half worked on Spiderman, so Wolverine basically means they might not have room for something like that to continue with a part 2 or something.

sainraja

It's... really one of my favorite games ever.
I honestly wasn't expecting much, because it didn't seem that crazy in videos, but when I finally played it, what a joy it was.

I'm a huge fan of arcade / scoring games, like Tony Hawk, SSX and all, which don't exist anymore sadly, and I also love fast paced action games. This game is exactly the mix of that.

It's really up to the player to make the game fun or not though, if you decide to do the bare minimum, you can technically just play it like dead rising and it's not really fun, it's pretty generic. But if you want to have fun and embrace the gameplay to be creative, it's an insane game with so much freedom.

I really think this game has the most fun traversal gameplay of any games I ever played. Plus the open world is for once very fun, because it's not filled with boring sidequests everywhere, instead it has a bunch of environmental and various arcade / scoring challenges everywhere which are super fun and so addictive, it really reminded me of Tony Hawk in that way.

It really felt like a game out of time, it's a game from early 2000s, in the best ways, made with modern tech, and it was a fantastic experience. I miss games like this so much, I really was happy to finally be able to play something new like this.
Agreed. :)

edit: reading all the comments and seeing how everyone think it's trash, it makes me sad :messenger_crying:
That narrative is just now being written. People didn't say that before when they weren't under Sony.

EDIT

Stick with it. You will enjoy it after unlocking the air dash and experimenting a bit with the gunplay.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
I liked it, combat kinda feels like R&C in open-world, like you upgrade weapons by using them iirc. Would be nice to have this on PS5 or for the love of god why MS isn't adding a 60fps patch for this or their other console exclusives like Quantum Break and Ryse.
Anyhow doesn't seems to me that a sequel will come unfortunately, and like been said here if the first game is MS ip then might can't be on PS.

Last edited:
Microsoft own the publishing rights for the first game, who knows when the contract is up.

Probably just not worth the time for sony/insomniac to port a generation old game that commercially bombed at this point

Insomniac came to MS because they didn't want to give the IP to Sony.

There may be a chance because of that, they gave MS either permanent publishing rights, or something high like 10 years or more.

I know that Insomniac own the IP rights for Sunset Overdrive, and Sony registered the trademark for it in 2021, however the original game was published by Microsoft.
I haven't read anything about MS giving the publishing rights to Sony, and after the horseshit Sony has done around ABK, I doubt they would.
Insomniac have said they want to do a sequel, but you really would want to have the original released before any sequel.

Could Sony port the original without Microsoft's permission as they were the publisher?
Did MS give them publishing rights back like they did with Alan Wake and Remedy?

Even if either side could (do something), they won't.

It's a can of worms, if Microsoft or Sony is against it, even if they don't have legal grounds to stop it. The relationship between Sony and Microsoft would have to be stellar for that to happen. Think of Goldeneye port on Xbox, Nintendo didn't have the rights (activision did) and had sold the studio to Microsoft at that point, but they still effectively made it not happen, because Activision had a relationship with Nintendo, and Microsoft didn't want to sour things either.

It's not a big IP either, so it's nor worth the risk for either party. Also, it's not like you could do something with it without the original studio being involved.

Last edited:
Hilarious that Sony ended up owning it in the end anyway.

Sony to Insomniac after Sunset Overdrive:

you-could-not-live-with-your-own-failure-Thanos.png

I've heard rumor that the reason why Insomniac about faced is that Sony used their money to get some insiders in the studio to lead the call for acquisition.

It's a rumor that's worth exploring, since there was a staff change in between Sunset and the buyout.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'd love to play Sunset Overdrive on PS5. Always wanted to try that game out, looks wild and legit made me nervous when it was first announced. I was legit scared that MS would buy Insomniac and I'd be forced to buy PS consoles and XBOX moving forward.

Thankfully my brother offered me his XBO so I can always go that route at some point to have access to the game.

sainraja

Funny thing is I can't tell if these reactions are MS fanboys hating on Insomniac or Sony fanboys hating on a MS exclusive. Either way I doubt SO would get this much hate if it was a multiplat from the beginning.
lol same here. I can't tell either! haha. The game is great though and should get another chance with a re-release or a sequel.

EDMIX

Funny thing is I can't tell if these reactions are MS fanboys hating on Insomniac or Sony fanboys hating on a MS exclusive. Either way I doubt SO would get this much hate if it was a multiplat from the beginning.

...maybe, maybe not. Its not like we all love that weird FUSE game they put out

Umbasaborne

Banned
Its a cool enough game, but man the humor can be kinda cringe. Sadly on xbox its locked to a muddy ass resolution and low framerate

It was one of the first games I tried when I got GamePass for the first time and I couldn't get through the first level. It felt like the game was trying too hard to feel cool.

Insomniac has a bunch of much more valuable IPs now, IMO. Between Ratchet&Clank, Spider Man and Wolverine they have their hands full, and if they were to revive an older IP I'd rather have Resistance back.
hKY4nsN.jpg
iIG1YZU.jpg

When I saw this thing I uninstalled.

Look Im not saying the gameplay is bad. I just cant vibe with it.
Just as how I understand folks cant get into halo because you shoot pink needles.

AndrewRyan

Haven't finished it (yet) but still consider it terrific game for creating some mayhem in an open world. The weapons fun and over the top, the bouncing mechanics are neat and kind of unique and it's challenging to aim while sliding and bouncing around. It's sort of like Prototype, I jump in for a few minutes and have a blast just destroying everything.

Hope in comes to PS5 eventually since playstation fans have Insomniac's DNA in their blood so I feel they will appreciate it right away.

Sony has the IP now, so maybe not a port because MS may have the rights but they could do a sequel or highly modified remake or reboot if desired.

But I don't see why they would want to bring it back, since it had poor sales. Insomniac is way more successful with Ratchet, Spider-Man and soon Wolverine. They also didn't make any new IP (even if Spider-Man or Wolverine are more ore less a new IP for them) or VR stuff for a while, so maybe they'll make a new IP or VR stuff after Wolverine.

I'd ask them to have a 3:1 ratio of existing and new IPs. Out of every 4 games they make, 2 would be Marvel games, 1 would be a sequel of an Insomniac IP (mostly Ratchet) and 1 would be a brand new Insomniac IP.
I doubt that Sony would use Insomniac to do a port of it. They would farm that out to a Sabre type company and have Insomniac putting their efforts into Spiderman and Wolverine.
However, Sony did register the trademark and Insomniac have said they really want to do another one.
With regards to the failure of Sunset on Xbox. MS did fuck all to promote the game. Just the fact that it's a Sony first party game will give it good publicity.

Pimpbaa

I doubt that Sony would use Insomniac to do a port of it. They would farm that out to a Sabre type company and have Insomniac putting their efforts into Spiderman and Wolverine.
However, Sony did register the trademark and Insomniac have said they really want to do another one.
With regards to the failure of Sunset on Xbox. MS did fuck all to promote the game. Just the fact that it's a Sony first party game will give it good publicity.

Well they did do a bundle of the game (download code) with a white Xbox One. That’s a pretty significant promotion.

Josemayuste

This and Dead Rising 3 were the first two games that I bought when I put my claws on a Xbox One X.

I did enjoy Sunset Overdrive a lot, fantastic game, traversal and weapon variety were definitely a highlight, they really should port it to PS and make a sequel!

Godot25

Banned
From what I understand, they can't.
Yes, Insomniac owns the IP, but publishing rights for first game belongs to Microsoft. So basically, Sony needs to go to Microsoft and ask very nicely if they can release PS port of that game. Which I doubt they will do because Sunset was not commercially successful and I doubt Sony would want to pursue sequel. Especially since they struck gold with switching Insomniac to develop superhero games. Why on earth would they develop sequel to underperforming IP when they have IP that are printing money?

Roberts

I've restarted it three times over the years, every time hoping that I can finally complete it. It's because I actually like it, but eventually after playing it for 5-10 hours I lose interest and move on to other, more memorable games. At least I completed R&C and Spiderman even though they are hardly masterpieces and in some ways inferior to SO.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They could have renamed it to Sunset overdrive Remix and added a few things and called it a day to avoid any legal battle.

They just busy with other shit. which is sad because the game is worth it.

Just so I understand, are you saying that adding "remix" to a game's title would defeat the legal rights of a publisher?

//DEVIL//

Maybe Phil Spencer has some teams working on God Of War: Remix, Spiderman: Remix and Returnal: Remix.

...or perhaps it isn't that simple.
To be fair the contract be very clear not to port anything related to sunset overdrive .
Also your examples are wrong a they are first party games when insomniac wast.

Also in theory, if MS trade mark god of war remix as one title, then yeah they can,. Just dont name him kratos and make him look like one 😂

Clone games are fine a dozens. Same for movies

Top Bottom