• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite's Burial At Sea media day coverage *Spoilers*

IGN

Your first hour in Rapture is then spent hunting down clues to try to find Sally, and that entire search contains no combat whatsoever. Instead, you’re simply exploring a Rapture that’s alive and well, with people milling around and enjoying life in the city. There are a few notable landmarks (Little Wonders from BioShock’s Point Prometheus, for one) and you’ll hear passing references to spots like Arcadia and Apollo Square.

Rapture-A modern Day Atlantis?

BAS achievement/trophy list. (Mild spoilers)

[Potential Spoilers]

If you would like an official link to the first 5 minutes of Burial at Sea - Episode One, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSou7NmhOkg

BioshockInfiniteBaS1-610.jpg

BioshockInfiniteBaS3-610.jpg

BioshockInfiniteBaS2-610.jpg

Gameinformer

It's fascinating to feel both at ease in the return to Rapture and the sense of wonderment I remember diving deep into the ocean on that first bathysphere ride. Splicers move as I remember them (though there are no spider splicers at this point in Rapture's tortured history), and some hide their faces in terror of catching a glimpse in the mirror.

The splicers retain some of their humanity. While they crave adam, their conversations are filled with coherent plotting rather than the gibberings we've previously experienced. Still, the madness is starting to set in, and the wild-eyed addiction that plagues nearly everyone we've met on past adventures lurks nearby.

Polygon

Burial at Sea was an admittedly short experience, more an appetizer than a meal, but the ending was both surprising and satisfying, perhaps more so than what was delivered with BioShock Infinite.

Destructoid

The combat mechanics in Burial at Sea, including Plasmids, are very much the same as in prior BioShock installments. However, this time around resource management is much more prevalent than it was in Infinite. On medium difficulty I found myself often running out of bullets and Eve, thus having to conserve my resources to ensure I could make it through to the next area. This was intentional from a gameplay perspective, and I actually found myself getting more out of the combat situations versus the rushed combat mentality of BioShock Infinite.

The Guardian

Burial at Sea is the very definition of fan service.

Not only does it offer an intriguing glimpse into the barmy universe of BioShock Infinite, where neither the motives of the characters nor the very fabric of reality can be trusted, but it satiates a couple of desires many fans of the original BioShock have had since the credits rolled on that game back in 2007.

Warning

Won't quote details here, but be warned HUGE SPOILERS in the Eurogamer preview.

OXM

As we follow a very film noir-styled Elizabeth on a mysterious mission, we’re whisked through a Rapture that isn’t patrolled by Big Daddys or terrorized by Splicers. Instead of dive-suits and psychos, the city’s instead bustling with well-dressed civilians who marvel at gorgeous underwater scenery from behind thick panes of glass. We stroll past a baby carriage that doesn’t contain a pistol — as it creepily did in BioShock — but an actual baby, and we eavesdrop on a sly gent attempting to impress a woman by claiming Dr. Steinman uses his handsome features as a template for facial symmetry.

Furthermore

Levine sees the 2-3 hour chapter as not just DLC, but as an “expansion pack” — an experience that not only provides value but, as he puts it “something that isn’t just thrown together or phoned in by some farm team.”

DLC Central

There are three other things of note here: 1) the Sky-Hook is back, but now called the Air-Hook, 2) this means that rails and hooks to higher levels are available and 3) you can now carry every weapon you come across – shotgun, Tommy-gun, carbine and the like – squeeze R2/RT and cycle through them all instead of flipping between two.

CVG-Ken Levine interview

The Elizabeth you see here is not the one that was dancing on the beach in Infinite - even though there are echoes of that scene here - she's more opaque. I can't tell you how this ends, but she's not the person you met. While her story set against the backdrop of this world, in terms of the political and social themes, their function is to show how they impact on these characters rather than show how they themselves operate - because I think we did that already.

Video Previews

Gamespot

Joystiq

(Thanks Endless.)

Gametrailers

Inside Gaming

IGN

Celegus

Just started Minerva's Den last night which is fantastic, I'll take any excuse they want to give me to go back to Rapture.

bengraven

Love Elizabeth. It's very uncomfortable.

"HERE'S A HOT GIRL TO FOLLOW AROUND!"
"woot"
*HOURS LATER*
"Hey, you know that girl you've been ogling for so long...?"

It feels like a certain Korean film.

steev101

Neo Member
I'm hanging out for this. Hopefully 'short experience' means around six hours of content or more...
"
"there's only about an hour and a half of actual game here - and that's if you savour it for all it's worth" - from the Eurogamer preview.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
"
"there's only about an hour and a half of actual game here - and that's if you savour it for all it's worth" - from the Eurogamer preview.

Wow. I wasn't expecting that. It seems odd that Irrational would put six months of development effort into a product with only 1.5 hours of new game content.

I'm not complaining; it just seems like an odd decision. What they've done looks amazing, I'd be happy to wait another twelve months for a full sized game expansion set in Rapture. Ah well.

steev101

Neo Member
Wow. I wasn't expecting that. It seems odd that Irrational would put six months of development effort into a product with only 1.5 hours of new game content.

I'm not complaining; it just seems like an odd decision. From what I've seen so far, I'd be happy to wait another twelve months for a full game set in Rapture.
The worst part for me,from reading the preview,is the fact that it doesn't expand or continue the detective/film noir theme that it begins out with,and seemingly decends into the same old gameplay and combat we've seen from the franchise since the original Bioshock.

AJ_Wings

The worst part for me,from reading the preview,is the fact that it doesn't expand or continue the detective/film noir theme that it begins out with,and seemingly decends into the same old gameplay and combat we've seen from the franchise since the original Bioshock.

Yeah, I was expecting something like an introduction of a dialogue system or something.

Also do you still have to rely on Elizabeth/rummaging through garbage for medpacks or are they part of your inventory at all times Bioshock 1&2 style?

Ein Bear

3) you can now carry every weapon you come across – shotgun, Tommy-gun, carbine and the like – squeeze R2/RT and cycle through them all instead of flipping between two.

Oh hells yeah. Now patch that into the full game!

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member

That's a shame. I do love the traditional Bioshock combat sandbox though; I'm definitely not complaining that it's still a strong component in the DLC. I was really looking forward to the detective/film noir theme at the beginning though.

My ideal scenario would be a six hour noir styled campaign with Elizabeth and a complementary six hour long traditional Bioshock experience with Booker. I'll take what they serve up but I like the setting so much, I really wish that it was getting the full game treatment.

angelic

Banned
err, a few hours at most because they had to create the assets from scratch? man that is super depressing. games with "episode" in the title are doomed to dissapoint.

Zoc

I don't quite get the spirit of this DLC. Take a year to re-do parts of the original game, charge 10 bucks, it takes an hour and a half to play, and it's releasing on platforms that will be dead? Why not just re-use some of the old assets with a new story and some new gameplay concepts? Cheap, easy, fun.

This will be my first real taste of episodic gaming and I guess (as it's already started) people will ask the same question that eurogamer did at the end of their article in relation to the length of the DLC (1.5 hours of 'actual gameplay').

At £10 per episode though, the big questions demand expensive answers. Will players accept that this level of craft in DLC can't come cheap?

Lijik

The sky-hook returning at some point in Burial At Sea has upped me from "Neat I guess" (Playing all three bioshocks for the first time back to back earlier this year burnt me out on Rapture more than most) to "Day one"

Love using that thing

EDIT- Wait is the full Burial at Sea only 1.5-3 hours, or just the first episode? Id be begrudingly okay with the latter but idk if I'd buy the former until a sale

RalchAC

Are they telling the whole Burial at the Sea lats 2-3 hours or each parts is that long?

I didn't really understand it.

I want to buy the Season Pass, but I'm not doing it if they can't provide me at least 4-5 hours of content (Clash in the Sky + Burial at the Sea 1 and 2).

I'll probably end up buying this. I like that you can carry all your weapons, it seems they've heard our feeback. And it seems to be less of a dudebro shooting this time, more like the original Bioshock.

It seems cool.

Only episode 1 is somewhere between 1.5-2 hours. Not both Episode 1 and 2 guys.

I'm not sure if they're counting the initial non-combat part as well. OXM said 2-3 hours.

But hoping for some clarification.

Saty

Series continues to lose its plot in mechanics and gameplay. The DLC is set in Bioshock's 1&2 Rapture's heyday but uses the Vigor\Gear system instead of Plasmids\Tonic but it ditches Infinite weapon limit in favor of the original's set up but they somehow wedge the Skyrails from Infinite in.

Roto13

That sheepish admission that it's going to be short in the Joystiq preview doesn't instil me with a lot of confidence. I get the feeling it's going to be about 90 minutes per episode, and I do not pay $15 for 90 minutes.

RalchAC

Series continues to lose its plot in mechanics and gameplay. The DLC is set in Bioshock's 1&2 Rapture's heyday but uses the Vigor\Gear system instead of Plasmids\Tonic but it ditches Infinite weapon limit in favor of the original's set up but they somehow wedge the Skyrails from Infinite in.

I don't think it lose anything. Plasmids = Vigor, Gear is another form of Tonics, although you were limited to 4 or 5 at a time, if I remember correctly.

The two weapons limit was something a lot of people complained. They may have heard the feedback and let you carry them all this time.

The Skyrails were awesome and I'm happy the've kept them.

If they let you improve your weapons and unlock some gear pieces by buying them instead of waiting a random drop, i'll by happy.

Top Bottom