• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft won't support Wii U version of AC: Black Flag with DLC

GameReactor said:
Yesterday Ubisoft announced the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, revealing a new story, exclusive content and a 20 per cent discount.

We noticed then that Wii U wasn't mentioned anywhere on the press release, and this morning Gamereactor Germany contacted their representatives, who informed them that there'd be no DLC for the Wii U version of ACIV. Gamereactor UK has contacted Ubisoft's UK representatives, and are awaiting their response.
Source: http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/94044/Ubisoft+confirms+no+DLC+for+Wii+U+ACIV/

This is the version they want you to avoid.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Yaaaaaay. So glad the few third-party games we get on the Wii U get shafted like this. I assume Ubi just doesn't want the game to sell at all?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Huh, so it wasn't just the season pass.

I thought it was an odd omission since IIRC the season pass for Arkham Origins works.

Morts

I'm surprised there's a middle ground where its worth making the game for Wii U but not the DLC. I'd think if there was a market for AC on Wii U there'd be a market for the DLC as well.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yaaaaaay. So glad the few third-party games we get on the Wii U get shafted like this. I assume Ubi just doesn't want the game to sell at all?
I'm sure ubisoft sat down in a meeting and said to each other "you know what! Let's start trying to NOT make money on titles we sell!" And then everyone left the room patting each other on the back.

Realistic reason, ubisoft looked at the expected ROI of the project and the cost benefit analysis and decided spending more resources on the wiiU version wasn't worth it for whatever reasons.

I know Nintendo doesn't have much of a position on this, but this is the type of thing they need to put their foot down on, somehow. It's not like before where the infrastructure wasn't there, this is publishers deciding not to treat their Wii U release as a full product (a clear developing pattern), and Nintendo can't let that pass. It's not like they're chomping at the bit to publish on Wii U, but could they perhaps enforce repercussions on 3DS publishing for intentionally launching inferior Wii U releases? Sony and Microsoft certainly have no qualms about enforcing such rules.

Of course, that might put pubs off publishing on Wii U entirely, but Nintendo has to figure something out.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well time to cancel that pre-order and wait for the price to drop like a rock by January. I really hope the same doesn't happen to Watch Dogs.

Is there an actual practical reason why publishers for the most part aren't putting DLC on Wii U? Like, an actual logical reason beyond conspiracy theories?

mackattk

Which came first, the chicken or the egg. If Ubisoft is disappointed in Wii U game sales, then poor support might be a part of the blame.

Zero148

game gets delayed in Europe, no dlc. I'm waiting for the no multiplayer in the WiiU version announcement (still getting it on WiiU, the only DLC I ever bought was NSLU)

Ludist210

I'm thinking this has something to do with the Splinter Cell fiasco, because Ubisoft has been one of Nintendo's strongest third parties on the Wii U to this point (arguably their strongest).

It's not like I was buying the game for any console period (I'm not a fan of the AC series), but this is bad news.

Though they'll look at sales and say, "See? Didn't sell on Wii U." Of course, decisions like this one when all other consoles (360 and PS3 included) are getting the same DLC are part of the reason the software isn't supported on the console.

I hope this port doesn't bomb for the sake of future third party support, but I have a feeling that it will.

They probably projected the percentage of people buying the DLC for it was too low to justify the cost of porting it. Given how poorly third party games sell on the WiiU and realistic percentages of players that buy DLC, the end number was probably just too small.

So ridiculous.

They want Wii U users to buy third party games, and blame Nintendo for not selling people on third party games, or making a console that is "friendly" to the current paradigms of third party games.

...but then they release late/unfinished/gimped ports of third party games that don't even receive DLC. And they sell it at full price, or a price that doesn't reflect the lesser product (read: $49.99 or less). Worse still, they - and other people - rage that people just don't want Wii U third party games.

Oh well.

jeffers

should consumers have confidence in a game that the dev doesnt have any confidence in? what about patches etc? <-- rhetorical.

prag16

Banned
Huh, so it wasn't just the season pass.

I thought it was an odd omission since IIRC the season pass for Arkham Origins works.
Are we sure it wasn't just the season pass? We don't have a direct quote. Just what may very well be an assumption or a shoddy paraphrase.

I wouldn't have bought DLC anyway (poor value proposition 95% of the time), but this doesn't bode well if true..

while it not appearing wouldn't shock me it's worth noting this comes from a ubisoft Germany rep, it wouldn't be the first time a rep from a national branch of an international publisher has got something wrong

Xellos

Pretty disappointing, but understandable considering how poor third party game sales have been on Wii U. Ubi is probably done with with Wii U ports of "AAA" games after this year.

I hope this isn't an indication that Ubisoft will cut off core Wii U support completely after this holiday season.

Ubisoft is one of the few third-parties that is still porting over their major games.

Alfredo

It's a shame. If I recall correctly, Assassin's Creed 3 was one of the few multiplatform Wii U games to get DLC parity with the other consoles. I wonder how well that did...

They gave it a shot but they can only put up with abysmal sales for so long. They can't reasonably be expected to support a system that gives them nothing forever.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist sales have been abysmal on the console. That's strike one for Ubisoft Wii U support.

Assassin's Creed + Watch_Dogs are up to bat next.

narton

How difficult is it to port the DLC from Xbox 360 to PS3? Is it really that hard to do for Wii U that it would cost them money? They're pretty just gimping it and then blaming Nintendo when it won't sell.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are we sure it wasn't just the season pass? We don't have a direct quote. Just what may very well be an assumption or a shoddy paraphrase.

I wouldn't have bought DLC anyway (poor value proposition 95% of the time), but this doesn't bode well if true..

Well I switched the OP to the original article on this note:

GameReactor said:
Yesterday Ubisoft announced the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, revealing a new story, exclusive content and a 20 per cent discount.

We noticed then that Wii U wasn't mentioned anywhere on the press release, and this morning Gamereactor Germany contacted their representatives, who informed them that there'd be no DLC for the Wii U version of ACIV. Gamereactor UK has contacted Ubisoft's UK representatives, and are awaiting their response.
Source: http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/94044/Ubisoft+confirms+no+DLC+for+Wii+U+ACIV/

Basically they're saying that Ubisoft Germany has told Gamereactor Germany that there's no DLC for Wii U, and Ubisoft UK hasn't said otherwise yet.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I've never bought a single DLC pack for any AC game before so I'm okay with this.

My interest in ACIV is pretty limited, but if it ends up being good I'll wait till boxing day sales.

I'm surprised there's a middle ground where its worth making the game for Wii U but not the DLC. I'd think if there was a market for AC on Wii U there'd be a market for the DLC as well.

If DLC wasn't a pain in the ass to do on the Wii U there would be a market for it.

Is there an actual practical reason why publishers for the most part aren't putting DLC on Wii U? Like, an actual logical reason beyond conspiracy theories?

First parties charge for server space/download bandwidth on their stores. If they figure they won't make that back with the projected DL rate on WiiU, then they won't do it.

Berg

Whoa whoa whoa...I've seen the "NO season pass" everywhere...but not "NO DLC"
Did AC3 have a season pass? because wiiU didnt get it, but still got all of the DLC.
same thing with Splinter Cell...No season pass, got the DLC. Did SC have a season pass?

I love how quickly this becomes Nintendo's fault. It's always Nintendo's fault.

Won't someone please think of the poor third parties? Obviously people should just be happy that the Wii U version is happening, even though it's quite obviously a lesser version, because of REASONS. Every piss-poor third party decision can be traced back to Nintendo not selling consoles, not bad planning or bad management on their own end. It's not possible to blame the third parties who put out games to die without further support because of MORE REASONS.

So to recap, Nintendo didn't sell enough Wii U's so that absolves third party from every bad decision they have made thus far with regard to the system. Just so we're clear: those same third parties, however, are entirely to blame for issues they may encounter on other systems. Because REASONS AND LOGIC AND FACTS.

jeffers

Splinter Cell: Blacklist sales have been abysmal on the console. That's strike one for Ubisoft Wii U support.

Assassin's Creed + Watch_Dogs are up to bat next.

How well are these advertised anyway? I'm not suprised they do awfully considering people are just used to these titles on other platforms, they own those platforms, then im guessing with sony/MS money to constantly impede eachother (and byproduct wiiu). Its all a recipe for disastrous sales. Ubi/others needs to build a userbase who are used to buying there, and nintendo needs waaaay more console sales.

Top Bottom