• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft won't support Wii U version of AC: Black Flag with DLC

Branduil

This sets a terrible precedent. It's basically how you guarantee future failure. If you teach an audience that you can't be trusted to support your games, or even release them in a timely fashion on a platform, then that audience will not buy your games on that platform. This is how you set in motion your inability to succeed on a platform and everybody does it on Nintendo's home consoles. It's like they don't want to succeed on Nintendo consoles so they set themselves up to fail.

I wouldn't go that far, but I think in the eyes of third parties, they really view Nintendo as unnecessary. If they can make a few bucks on a Nintendo console, that's cool, but they really are quite happy with the current Sony/MS paradigm where they don't have to face competition from 1st party games and they already know they have a willing customer base.

It's really past time for Nintendo to just expand their internal studios(and commission select third parties for exclusive games), because it is obvious they cannot and should not count on extensive third party support. If they want a diverse and flourishing ecosystem on their home consoles, they have no choice but to make it themselves.

Gator86

This all seems kind of pointless. In the end, the Wii U is going to be a console that just plays first party Nintendo games and that's it essentially. Once the PS4 and Xbone are out third parties are probably just going to quit even bothering to pretend they still care about the Wii U.

Shahed

I know Nintendo doesn't have much of a position on this, but this is the type of thing they need to put their foot down on, somehow. It's not like before where the infrastructure wasn't there, this is publishers deciding not to treat their Wii U release as a full product (a clear developing pattern), and Nintendo can't let that pass. It's not like they're chomping at the bit to publish on Wii U, but could they perhaps enforce repercussions on 3DS publishing for intentionally launching inferior Wii U releases? Sony and Microsoft certainly have no qualms about enforcing such rules.

Of course, that might put pubs off publishing on Wii U entirely, but Nintendo has to figure something out.

I doubt the majority of publishers would even care about that. Well the western ones anyway

How well are these advertised anyway? I'm not suprised they do awfully considering people are just used to these titles on other platforms, they own those platforms, then im guessing with sony/MS money to constantly impede eachother (and byproduct wiiu). Its all a recipe for disastrous sales. Ubi/others needs to build a userbase who are used to buying there, and nintendo needs waaaay more console sales.

They're advertised in proportion to Ubisoft's expected sales. Ubisoft didn't expect much out of Blacklist for Wii U, so they budgeted accordingly. This prevented the title from getting much exposure, and ultimately led to low sales.

But sales of Blacklist on Wii U were undoubtedly worse than expected. Let's suppose Splinter Cell: Blacklist sold ~290,000 units in its first month in the USA. Out of that 290,000, the Wii U version sold only 1.6% of that, or ~4,600 units.

Now suppose you're Ubisoft. Would you really advertise (or care about) the Wii U ports of your future core games when the Wii U only represents 1.6% of your core market?

No, you wouldn't...and this leads to even worse sales the next time around. Sooner or later, you just aren't going to bother anymore.

Azih

Can't blame Ubi. They gave it a good try. Got shit sales in return and are withdrawing from the market.

Edit: I think they answer the 'chicken and the egg' question anyway. Ubi has been providing a hell of a lot of games for the WiiU base, but they didn't sell. The audience just isn't there for third party devs.

onipex

At this point why would anyone buy multiplatform games for the Wii U?

I don't care about DLC so there is no reason not to. I'll buy the game after it drops in price.

Can't blame Ubi. They gave it a good try. Got shit sales in return and are withdrawing from the market.

Edit: I think they answer the 'chicken and the egg' question anyway. Ubi has been providing a hell of a lot of games for the WiiU base, but they didn't sell. The audience just isn't there for third party devs.

Not really since they have been pulling this DLC crap from the start and then went and delayed Rayman . At least now they are telling people from the start that they wont get it.

NYCrooner

I know it's a small install base but how do third parties expect multiplats to sell better or at all on the Wii U when they keep half assing it???

jeffers

They're advertised in proportion to Ubisoft's expected sales. Ubisoft didn't expect much out of Blacklist for Wii U, so they budgeted accordingly. This prevented the title from getting much exposure, and ultimately led to low sales.

But sales of Blacklist on Wii U were undoubtedly worse than expected. Let's suppose Splinter Cell: Blacklist sold ~290,000 units in its first month in the USA. Out of that 290,000, the Wii U version sold only 1.6% of that, or ~4,600 units.

Now suppose you're Ubisoft. Would you really advertise (or care about) the Wii U ports of your future core games when the Wii U only represents 1.6% of your core market?

No, you wouldn't...and this leads to even worse sales the next time around. Sooner or later, you just aren't going to bother anymore.
Yeah, though obviously few million wiiu's vs 140mil ps360s so budget works out that way as well (again leading to nintendo need larger adoption numbers). But the worse thing here, and just a matter of fact, is to break this trend ubisoft needs to be 'suprised' at getting higher sales. Just lacks any entrepreneurial spirit or business vision (admittedly they gave them some shovelware titles and also the loved zombiu).

I know it's a small install base but how do third parties expect multiplats to sell better or at all on the Wii U when they keep half assing it???
That I really dont know. Just seems like a wasted endeavour to me. Maybe its the recession tightening everyones belts and rising dev costs.

LTWood12

I don't expect to see many Ubisoft releases on Wii U after this fall. I consider myself 'hardcore,' though I'm not a fan of the term. I own multiple systems, and buy a lot of games. I buy 3rd party stuff on PS3 because of online player base, game performance (textures/framerate/loading times), trophies, the controller, and the overall eco system. Two recent ubisoft games: Splinter Cell and Rayman, I bought on PS3 because of those very reasons. I'm glad the Wii U only crowd gets a chance to play those games, but at the same time, the Wii U only crowd has yet to show their support to a single 3rd party release.

I understand people's frustration, but I think directing it at Ubisoft is misguided. Nintendo had the chance to release a next-gen system a year before Sony & Microsoft. Had they released a system more in line with the next two HD twins, Wii U would have been the console of choice this past year for hardcore gamers who wanted to play games on a console with significantly better performance. Just like the 360 did in 2005, they could have built a base and cost Microsoft and Sony a number of sales this fall.

Instead, they released a system marginally more powerful than consoles people had had for six or seven years, and with next to no on-board storage.

I really like my Wii U. I've really enjoyed great games like ZombiU, NSMBU, and W101; and I'm looking forward to 3D World, Bayonetta 2, and some others. I bought the system expecting to basically only buy exclusives on it, and that's largely what has happened. One could argue with a few exceptions that Nintendo has reinforced this behavior since the N64 era.

So in my humble opinion, Nintendo made this bed, and if I were mad about it (which I'm not), I would complain to them instead of Ubisoft.

KageMaru

Shitty news indeed. Anyone have any idea how recent ubisoft games have been selling on the Wii-U? I've been somewhat out of gaming for a while now.

So ridiculous.

They want Wii U users to buy third party games, and blame Nintendo for not selling people on third party games, or making a console that is "friendly" to the current paradigms of third party games.

...but then they release late/unfinished/gimped ports of third party games that don't even receive DLC. And they sell it at full price, or a price that doesn't reflect the lesser product (read: $49.99 or less). Worse still, they - and other people - rage that people just don't want Wii U third party games.

Oh well.

I'm confused, are you talking about this game or another ubisoft release? How do we know this is an unfinished/gimped port before it's even released?

Also, unless you've been living under a rock, this news isn't entirely unexpected. I haven't been paying attention to gaming for a while now and even I know Nintendo hasn't turned things around.

One less game I have to buy then

That'll show them! Nothing like company devotion, even when you cut yourself out from experiences in the end.

tumblr_m1bb6vbDkA1r5jtugo1_500.png

Honestly, this shit doesn't even surprise me anymore. What would shock me is if a 3rd party developer put in EXTRA effort into a Wii U version of a game, or even made a third party exclusive title.

jeffers

I'm glad the Wii U only crowd gets a chance to play those games, but at the same time, the Wii U only crowd has yet to show their support to a single 3rd party release.
Think you gotta remember the wiiu only crowd is tiny. And then the other reasons you listed before is why nothing sells here, especially when its parity or worse. Also dont think concepts like "wiiu only crowd has yet to show support" is helpful, this is a dynamic range of people interested in different things, make a compelling experience and itll sell. Its nintendos job to help raise the console base, its third parties jobs to convince people to buy their games.

I understand people's frustration, but I think directing it at Ubisoft is misguided. Nintendo had the chance to release a next-gen system a year before Sony & Microsoft. Had they released a system more in line with the next two HD twins, Wii U would have been the console of choice this past year for hardcore gamers who wanted to play games on a console with significantly better performance. Just like the 360 did in 2005, they could have built a base and cost Microsoft and Sony a number of sales this fall.
Dunno, dont think it;d have happened. a console on parity back then would have cost a fortune, it'd have no unique selling point. I'm doubting it'd have even had better looking games than ps360 just by virtue of small console base = dont spend the money (they also wouldnt be lead platforms, so its a port team who are going to be playing catch up), the 'ninty is a kiddie console' stuff.

LTWood12

Think you gotta remember the wiiu only crowd is tiny. And then the other reasons you listed before is why nothing sells here, especially when its parity or worse. Also dont think concepts like "wiiu only crowd has yet to show support" is helpful, this is a dynamic range of people interested in different things, make a compelling experience and itll sell. Its nintendos job to help raise the console base, its third parties jobs to convince people to buy their games.

Dunno, dont think it;d have happened. a console on parity back then would have cost a fortune, it'd have no unique selling point. I'm doubting it'd have even had better looking games than ps360 just by virtue of small console base = dont spend the money (they also wouldnt be lead platforms, so its a port team who are going to be playing catch up), the 'ninty is a kiddie console' stuff.

You make really good points here. I don't agree with all of them, but you're right, I did paint with too broad a brush. I shouldn't have, and it isn't helpful.

I also think your hypothesis in response to my 'they should have made a more powerful box' argument has a lot of merit.

These types of discussions are why I love GAF.

And so begins another cycle of Wii U owners bemoaning the lack of third party support for their platform of choice while vowing not to buy yet another third party title.

Interesting approach to get better support.

If Ubisoft steps out, then the Wii U is on official life support. There's no known ulterior motive such as trying to push Origin or something. They would only step if they didn't see the expenditure as profitable.

And as expected, Nintendo fans won't buy the worst version of games, further perpetuating the issue.

Shitty news indeed. Anyone have any idea how recent ubisoft games have been selling on the Wii-U? I've been somewhat out of gaming for a while now.

Ubisoft sales:

April 1st, 2013 - June 30th, 2013:
PS3 - 23%
360 - 23%
PC - 20%
OTHER (MOBILE) - 16%
WII - 10%
WIU - 3%
PSV - 2%
3DS - 1%
DS - 1%
PSP - 1%

January 1st, 2013 - March 31st, 2013:
PS3 - 33%
360 - 27%
PC - 20%
WII - 14%
OTHER (MOBILE) - 3%
3DS - 2%
PSV - 1%
PSP - 1%
DS - 0%
WIU - (-1%)

October 1st, 2012 - December 31st, 2012:
360 - 37%
PS3 - 33%
WII - 14%
PC - 7%
WIU - 4%
PSV - 2%
OTHER (MOBILE) - 2%
3DS - 1%
DS - 1%
PSP - 0%

The Wii U has never been a large factor for Ubisoft, even at launch.

Kid Ying

Ubisoft announced a bunch of games a couple of weeks ago. Only one for the Wiiu (that Children of light one). I don't think anyone should be surprised that they are pulling support as we speak.

I'm not going to say i'm part of the problem. Their games don't interest me and the last one i bought was Beyond good and evil on PC. I'm not going to buy stuff i don't plan to play, but it suckes for people who likes those games. Better get another console then.

Pain

Banned
Wii U is lucky to even get the game though. If you want more of these games on Wii U, buy this one new.

Tiktaalik

Is there an actual practical reason why publishers for the most part aren't putting DLC on Wii U? Like, an actual logical reason beyond conspiracy theories?

Well no one is sharing too much data about the eShop service so everything would be a theory, but I would assume that there's not enough eShop users to justify DLC content.

If that is the issue then Nintendo needs to improve the service and encourage users to buy into the system. My suggestion would be to overhaul the service and at least get to feature parity with PSN.

The Wii U console exclusive "Scribblenauts Unmasked" that just came out a few weeks ago has a OT thread that's only 2 pages long:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683685

This thread is 3 pages long.

It just doesn't seem like anyone cares about the majority of 3rd party games on the system.
Matter fact, only two 3rd party games, Rayman Legends & Monster Hunter 3U were able to get any type of real buzz on this site.
Everything else seemed to be virtually flat-lined at release.

Pretty much.

They were going to drop support either way when the new consoles came out, at least in terms of their AAA titles. Honestly I don't think there would have been much of a difference here no matter how Wii U sold, if Ubisoft's output on the Wii is anything to go by. Maybe a ZombiU sequel and Rayman staying exclusive for a little longer, but nothing huge.

It sucks, but it's the truth. I just hope Nintendo can keep cultivating indies to keep my attention in between their big releases. That'll at least keep me entertained.

cavalcade

Neo Member
ZombieU has sold over half a million copies. That's not stellar, but it's not terrible either. Rayman Legends has sold (to date) more on Wii-U than any other individual platform.

I suspect this shows that shitty, half-arsed ports of 360 and PS3 games aren't really worth doing on Wii-U, but there may be some margin on games which play to the strengths of the system and target the type of person who might own the console.

The Wii has always been a subtle, but reliable cashflow for Ubisoft. Just Dance being the most obvious IP. Rather than betting the farm on the PS4 and One, which might sell about as well as the Wii-U and Vita, I think it's a canny move for Ubisoft to spread its hardware coverage as wide as possible. You could see something like AC3 as a total waste of time, but porting to the hardware improves the internal skillbase and breeds familiarity with the tech and longer term could drive down dev costs so particular IP could be ported for some low risk sales.

I admire Ubisoft for supporting the Wii-U. I remember EA's rather shitty treatment of the PS3, resulting in terrible crippled versions of their core franchises. As the generation went on they slunk back to the PS3 and started taking it seriously - a sensible business decision? Perhaps. But looking at how EA are struggling for relevancy now, sometimes you need to expose the business to a bit of risk to keep pushing it creatively.

As a software developer I'd say platforms like the Wii-U and Vita are crying out for a developer to put something on the system that the existing user base goes for in a big way and drives new people to the platform, as everyone wins.

Dysun

Splinter Cell bombing horribly on the Wii U (even if it bombed everywhere) put the writing on the wall. The jig is up, this Holiday will probably be the last time Ubi puts significant resources into Wii U titles. Cutting off DLC is just the beginning

raschi

Ubisoft sales:

April 1st, 2013 - June 30th, 2013:
PS3 - 23%
360 - 23%
PC - 20%
OTHER (MOBILE) - 16%
WII - 10%
WIU - 3%
PSV - 2%
3DS - 1%
DS - 1%
PSP - 1%

January 1st, 2013 - March 31st, 2013:
PS3 - 33%
360 - 27%
PC - 20%
WII - 14%
OTHER (MOBILE) - 3%
3DS - 2%
PSV - 1%
PSP - 1%
WIU - 1%
DS - 0%

October 1st, 2012 - December 31st, 2012:
360 - 37%
PS3 - 33%
WII - 14%
PC - 7%
WIU - 4%
PSV - 2%
OTHERS (MOBILE) - 2%
3DS - 1%
DS - 1%
PSP - 0%

The Wii U has never been a large factor for Ubisoft, even at launch.
You know these numbers don't look so bad when you compare the tiny Wii U base against the massive PS360 base. In fact they look very good to me. You need to keep releasing games to build an audience.

Amin_and_Azizah

Neo Member
So ridiculous.

They want Wii U users to buy third party games, and blame Nintendo for not selling people on third party games, or making a console that is "friendly" to the current paradigms of third party games.

...but then they release late/unfinished/gimped ports of third party games that don't even receive DLC. And they sell it at full price, or a price that doesn't reflect the lesser product (read: $49.99 or less). Worse still, they - and other people - rage that people just don't want Wii U third party games.

Oh well.
If Ubisoft can sell the Wii U version for $49.99 or less, then there should be no reason for this version to fail. It would make good business sense to sell this version cheaper than the other versions.

You know these numbers don't look so bad when you compare the tiny Wii U base against the massive PS360 base. In fact they look very good to me. You need to keep releasing games to build an audience.
Lol not sure how that looks promising, man. It got below Vita numbers sometimes. Truly abysmal.

jeffers

As a software developer I'd say platforms like the Wii-U and Vita are crying out for a developer to put something on the system that the existing user base goes for in a big way and drives new people to the platform, as everyone wins.

Think maybe the death of everything between AAA and indie hasnt helped. AAA wants the big bases and big money, indie wants to put it on everything for maximum users (also nintendo not moneyhatting to ensure even footing in indie policy).

Suprised someone hasnt released some kind of addictive RTS that makes use of the gamepad.

hatchx

Banned
You clearly haven't seen the sales of the AC series. It will sell a ton in it's first month NPD, most of those will be at full price.

I know they sell a ton, but I said 'here' as in, the people of gaf. We are pretty in-the-know, and we've all seen almost every high-profile UbiSoft release in the last 2 years launch in need of patches with a price drop soon after. Unless someone here is rich or a die-hard AC fan, I just don't see the sense of buying it right away. Literally wait until the end of November and it'll be much, much cheaper.

ZombieU has sold over half a million copies. That's not stellar, but it's not terrible either. Rayman Legends has sold (to date) more on Wii-U than any other individual platform.

I'd love to see where you get your numbers.

The_Lump

Banned
Not shocked at all. I actually assumed they weren't anyway and you can't blame them.

They can't seriously expect this to sell with a later release date and confirming no dlc?

Personally couldn't care less as I don't usually buy dlc. But it's a continuation of a sad trend for WiiU and coming from a previously strong supporter, it's pretty ominous.

Edit: by ominous, I mean future "AAA" titles from 3rd parties are unlikely to be any different.

Top Bottom