• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person posts sales infographic based on Wikipedia info

Tripon

Graphs.net has a nifty graphic illustrating which games cost the most to make and which are the highest grossing. Some of numbers might surprise you. For instance, Final Fantasy VII is still one of the most expensive games ever made, sitting at $45 million. Square got itself back on the list over a decade later with Final Fantasy XIII, which cost over $65 million. Adding Gran Turismo 5 ($60 million) rounds out Japanese games.

Meanwhile, Grand Theft Auto V's $266 million cost towers over everyone, including number two on the list, Grand Theft Auto IV ($100 million).

Rockstar recouped those budgets and then some, but a lot of the more expensive games missed the list of top grossing games. Mario Kart Wii grossed $1.4 billion, right under Call of Duty: Black Ops' $1.5 billion. I think Black Ops II should be somewhere up there as well. But Mario Kart Wii -- wow!
http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-xiii-cost-65m-mario-kart-wii-made-bank-263305.phtml

LIRFtIS.jpg

Trago

Mario Kart Wii's budget must have been chump change compared to those other games and it still made a ton of money. That's crazy.

Fandangox

How much did that relatively recent Star Wars game cost to make? I forgot the name, it was a MMO or similar I think.

It cost a lot to make if I recall correctly.

I wonder how much the $ amount for Mario Kart was bumped by the racing wheel bundles, like CE's do for other games. Can't be much of a difference but it would be nice to know.

I know it probably doesn't mean much but something is up with that Mario Kart image. I believe the only Mario Kart game Pacman was in was the arcade Mario Kart game..

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Budgets have risen sharply in the last few years. A $50 million production budget for most AAA games should be manageable, I just hope it doesn't go over $100 million next-gen. The GTA brand is a special case and should be treated as a one off thing. Also, WTF at Crysis 3?

Cutebrute

I don't recall ever hearing Nintendo brag about how much individual software sales have made them. I would be parading that 1.4 billion number if I were Iwata/Reggie.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Believe me I dislike a lot of things about FFXIII too but I think we can all agree that John Carter is the worst in terms of money spent vs sales and critical reception.

Kemal86

The only one on this list that really shocks me is Crysis 3 at $65million. Kind of wonder if the total cost of developing the CryEngine that was used for Crysis 2 as well is folded into that number.

antonz

Mario Kart Wii actually passed 32 million sales which based on how they are doing the math is 1.6 billion dollars.

If they filled that list out with all the games missing, Rockstar would take up half of it. LA Noire, Red Dead and Max Payne 3 were all ~$100M.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
And people think racing games are irrelevant. Though I guess this is also because of how strong the Mario Kart franchise is as well. Great to see those numbers though.

Sulik2

Looking at the number, could someone please explain to me why Nintendo isn't releasing a Mario Kart game against the new consoles? Terrible planning on their part to not have it ready for this year.

Top Bottom