• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person posts sales infographic based on Wikipedia info

Some Nobody

And people think racing games are irrelevant. Though I guess this is also because of how strong the Mario Kart franchise is as well. Great to see those numbers though.

Nah, the top racing game franchises consistently do well. GT5 sold some stupid amount of copies.

Hiltz

Man, Nintendo better hurry to get the expanded audience back because those sales figures for those Wii games are insane.

Road

8cQrEzN.png

In short, a whole lot of guessing and very little of fact checking.

Would Final Fantasy XV have crossed the $100 million mark yet? I wonder.

It depends how much of the cost of the original engine is defaulted into FF13's budget or would square count it against both games?

Do we even know what engine FF15 is running on? Is it Crystal Tools or Luminous Engine?

EDIT: Also wasn't the Versus team pulled off for a while to help with FF14? does that time count against XV's budget?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Tangled cost $250+M to make? Ridiculous. $60M more than Toy Story 3 (with dat voice actors costs... On the other side, errr, Mandy Moore) and 100 more than Wreck-it-Ralph.
I'm sure it banked high at the box-office, I think only The Lion King grossed more for Disney, but it seems a mismanaged production nontheless.

How are they those maths? MKWii sold 5 more millions than Black Ops and it is lower.

How much did they cost on retail? I'm guessing $49.99 for MK and $59.99 for Black Ops.

Hiltz

I wonder how much it actually cost to make New SMB. The average Wii game cost is said to cost between $5-10 million with marketing costs included.

antonz

Perspective.

Mario Kart Wii, NSMB Wii and Wii Play generated more money than the entire PS1/PS2 generation made Sony money wise.

Tangled cost $250+M to make? Ridiculous. $60M more than Toy Story 3 (with dat voice actors costs... On the other side, errr, Mandy Moore) and 100 more than Wreck-it-Ralph.
I'm sure it banked high at the box-office, I think only The Lion King grossed more for Disney, but it seems a mismanaged production nontheless.

Tangled was a hand animated movie (Rapunzel) with different leads that were all done that was totally scrapped and remade into Tangled with Moore and Levi

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
How are they those maths? MKWii sold 5 more millions than Black Ops and it is lower.

How much did they cost on retail? I'm guessing $49.99 for MK and $59.99 for Black Ops.

Well, in EU you had MK's mrsp at €49.99 while Blobs' was €64.99.
That's a big difference right there.

Hiltz

According to Crytek's CEO, Crysis 1 and 2 broke even. Crysis 1 cost $22 million, and it and the sequel both sold over 3 million copies. Although, Crysis 1 was one of the most pirated games on PC.

Zabka

God damn it internet. The $266 million includes the marketing budget. Only one or two of those movie budgets in the graph include their marketing budget.

Tangled (as well as John Carter I believe) had an incredibly troubled production. It got started and restarted so many times it caused it to be a large moneysink.

ButchCat

Crytek, if you would just stick to making engines that would be great. $65m for 5 hours of corridor roaming no wonder this industry is fucked.

that's like a no brainer.I think it will definitely be the most expensive FF of all time.

Nope. That honor will always belong to FFXIV with 1.0 and the "oh god we messed up" 2.0 built from ground up version.

Which leads me to my second point. This list is full of crap. There have been hundreds of games that have been made for more than 12 million. No way in hell Half Life should be on this list. Hence this list is full of crap. Just look at the source.

JordanN

Banned
Nintendo doesn't deserve that money after the way they continue to rip off gamers.

JUST MY OPINION

The employees though who worked on the games deserve to be rewarded.

Also, lol at the mess of FFXIII.

I knew Gran Tourismo 3 was big, but not THAT big. Also, the Nintendo sure made some bank on the Wii. Amazing they don't make even more of those games than they already do.

Instro

Um...the GTAV budget is including marketing and some if not all of the movie budgets are not.

Avatar's budget is known to be in the neighborhood of ~$240m for production+~$150m in marketing. So at the very least this one is way off

edit

Yeah none of those movie budgets are including marketing. Great research there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
$45million adjusted for inflation would be...?

Still kinda insane for the time and hardware.

Penguin

Nintendo doesn't deserve that money after the way they continue to rip off gamers.

JUST MY OPINION

You know what they say.. vote with your wallet.

Seems most don't mind.. er.. being "ripped" off

clemenx

Banned

JUST MY OPINION

How do they rip off gamers? I mean they put "Mario Kart" on the box and you get Mario Kart and so on.

Hiltz

where is Halo4? I thought it cost 100 million to make.

The estimated development cost for Halo 4 is said to be around $60 million. According to Phil Spencer, Halo is a $3 billion franchise, and that Halo 4 was Microsoft's most expensive project to date.

Magnus

I don't think these numbers are 100% right. Or if they are, there are omissions.

Isn't Star Wars: The Old Republic sitting at around $200 million+, just under GTAV? It's on the chart at all.

Magnus

Hold on...World of Warcraft has grossed an average of $1000 per user?! Wow, indeed.

$12/month on average since 2005 for me. What is that.... $1150? Factor out a couple years of breaks, but then factor in some character transfers....yeah. $1000. Don't really regret it. Been a great decade (basically) of gaming. Haha.

Kangi

Perspective.

Mario Kart Wii, NSMB Wii and Wii Play generated more money than the entire PS1/PS2 generation made Sony money wise.

And Sony bled out all of that money with the PS3. While Nintendo was making huge profit even during the GameCube days, their peak of irrelevance.

People hugely underestimate how much of an impact having guaranteed multimillion-selling IPs has. Having games like Mario Kart explode in sales is the icing on that money cake.

Hold on...World of Warcraft has grossed an average of $1000 per user?! Wow, indeed.

They state it has sold 10 million copies. It has sold way more than that. In fact.. just a few years ago it had 12 million users.. 12 > 10 million so you know alone they had way more copies then 10 million sold.

Top Bottom