• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the cast of KNACK (+ new screens)

artist

Banned
Credit to viveks86.

doctor01jpg-e95526dvknw.jpg

doctor02jpg-e95527etj2z.jpg

lucas01jpg-e95528s0jv1.jpg

lucas03jpg-e95529hykbn.jpg

ryder01jpg-8841adr1jmc.jpg

victor01jpg-e9552b0ujkr.jpg

victor04jpg-8841afthjbm.jpg

katrina03jpg-8841ab6vjhv.jpg

katrina04jpg-8841acwcjwo.jpg

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/10/...playstation-4?abthid=52584d06ef7635723f000014

VanWinkle

Sounds pretty interesting. I'm really curious whether this game will be good or not. It's honestly a little hard to tell.

Obviously it's not a graphical showcase, but it's a good looking game.

ryder02jpg-e954ce_610w.jpg

doctor02jpg-e954ca_610w.jpg

abrack08

Thought this was gonna be about the voice actors. I've noticed Laura Bailey and some other VAs tweeting "#KNACK" every now and then.

played this last week at the ebgames expo. great game. probably the cleanest looking next gen game (iq wise. saw very little to no aliasing)

game is HARD. even on normal. took me a while to get used to. its certainly not a button masher. you need to dodge and move around very quick. if i was getting a ps4 on launch this is the game id probably get.

Reposting my thoughts from the other thread. :)

Nice to have some character info. The characters look good in these.

Had no idea Ryder was related to Lucas, that's cool. Now I'm expecting his role to be quite different from what I thought before.

Will definitely be playing this.

Thought this was gonna be about the voice actors. I've noticed Laura Bailey and some other VAs tweeting "#KNACK" every now and then.

Nice. I thought the voice cast sounded great in the old trailer, I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Yoday

Knack looks interesting to me, and I would absolutely love another really great 3D platformer, but I agree that it is really hard to tell whether it is going to be any good or not. Waiting for the reviews on this one.

Salex_

Looks great, can't wait to see the latest gameplay footage. It's crazy how we're getting to the point where this game's graphics are considered "bad".

VanWinkle

played this last week at the ebgames expo. great game. probably the cleanest looking next gen game (iq wise. saw very little to no aliasing)

game is HARD. even on normal. took me a while to get used to. its certainly not a button masher. you need to dodge and move around very quick. if i was getting a ps4 on launch this is the game id probably get.

That's good to hear.

Really tempted to pick this up at launch, haven't played a platformer in forever.

It has a great pedigree. Mark Cerny assisted Naughty Dog and Insomniac in shaping Crash Bandicoot, Spyro: The Dragon, Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter. I'd wager he knows a thing or two about making a good platformer.

I've always felt squeamish about this game. On one hand it's supposed to allude to the mascot days of yore and invoke nostalgic memories of PSX/N64 days gone by, on the other hand...those screens look like shit.

It's like trying to create a soul by following a recipe.

I just posted this in another thread regarding these screens, but it's worth posting here again, because it's a total "can't unsee" thing:

Everyone, look at the screens again, they have some jacked up lazy eye problem. In more than one of those screens, characters have one eye looking in a wonky direction. The most obvious example is the first of Viktor, but go back and look and just about everyone has one character with a lazy eye, a really lazy eye.

artist

Banned
I just posted this in another thread regarding these screens, but it's worth posting here again, because it's a total "can't unsee" thing:
Personal pet peeve of mine - I always look at the character's mouth to see just how well the dev has lip synced the dialogues.

Thanks for picking this up, artist! :)
Thanks to you actually, not long before you can make threads on your own.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This reminds me of the time I realized that none of the characters in the original Toy Story blink with both eyes at the same time. It's always one before the other.

FyreWulff

Reminds me of the PS2 flat-style a lot of PS2/Sony developers used, just with a crapton more polygons thrown at it. So it definitely has a Sony look to it.

It has a great pedigree. Mark Cerny assisted Naughty Dog and Insomniac in shaping Crash Bandicoot, Spyro: The Dragon, Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter. I'd wager he knows a thing or two about making a good platformer.

That's what makes me so tempted to buy it, even though I heard some negative impressions. Games like these are so refreshing to play every once in a while, instead of dark and gritty stuff all the time.

viveks86

Hey is it true that Ico/SoTC people worked on this game or something? I'm not really seeing it, I dunno, maybe in Knack itself, hmmm...

It is likely, since team ico moved to Sony's main offices and development priorities changed. Having said that, the vision and leadership for the game wouldn't necessarily change when new devs join. There could be influences, but we haven't seen much to spot them.

I'm probably one of the few who loves the art direction. It gives it its own unique look. Glad they didn't opt for yet another "realistic" looking game. Talk about bad art direction. Give me artistic style in the look of characters over the overused realism you see in most games. Besides, I'd much rather take something uniquely cartoon(CG toony) than what eventually happened to Overstrike/Fuse. Hell, give me more unique artistic styles in gaming. Open the flood gates and let it flow in!

Adam J.

The character design is so cool, minus Knack when he's little-Knack. Only think that looks bland is the level-design (imo).

I'm on the fence about this. If it were 40, it would be a no brainer. But with injustice taking one spot on my likely two game launch list....I really am interested in it, though.

JABEE

I thought the same, especially Knack himself. Seems odd too since the game wasn't out of the PS4's potential from what we saw before.

I actually think it looks better than before. Maybe I'm misremembering what the reveal models looked like.

VanWinkle

Here's a comparison between the reveal chracters and the new screens. The lighting is definitely different. Ignore the sharpness of the old screens because I captured them from a 1080p Youtube video. This will give a sense of lighting, geometry, stuff like that.

Left: Reveal
Right: New

Top Bottom