• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
what I don't get is why someone would disconnect? I mean I get why, but I guess I plan on playing mostly friends and rivals.... if I am losing badly to someone, I kind of want to lose badly to them so my record is accurate and the rival system places me with more similar players... just my two cents.. I suppose there are idiots though who want a great record even if their ability doesn't exactly reflect it. :\

The Win/Lose statistics really say nothing and the "most active player" is only something for real.... uhmm... obsessed people.

I would have preferred something like uploading your record times or official tournaments where all participants are placed in a lobby where they can watch the table or spectate races then the first games start (several games simultaneously) between the races they get to the lobby. The overall Winner gets some kind of a badge that can be viewed in his profile.

Okok, this is a bit too much for Mario Kart but imagine something like that in F-Zero DS (if) or several online leagues...

the "most active player" is only something for real.... uhmm... obsessed people.

Realistically, fraternities and other shared housings often have many people playing on one account...they dominate such meaningless 'stats'.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The big reason for the disconnects right now is that, for the time being, I'm getting a lot of 1v1 matches because there's only a handful of people PLAYING online. So when the only online option is a 4-race GP and they get SMOKED the first, they already know the other three aren't gonna be that fun. In 4-player races its less of a problem because there's more rank shuffling.

Teddman

I think I'm going to keep my friends list pretty small and not play with random folks very often. It sounds like it's going to turn into a game of "disconnect if you're losing after 1 lap." Ironically, Nintendo seems to have designed the online play with jumping into a random game in mind.

Too bad Nintendo didn't have better game testers on this one. I can't believe they didn't anticipate this aspect of online gaming behavior. You must, must, must give people a loss when they disconnect, and have the ability to set limits on which karts people can use (to prevent R.O.B. exploitation).

jman2050

Teddman said:
I think I'm going to keep my friends list pretty small and not play with random folks very often. It sounds like it's going to turn into a game of "disconnect if you're losing after 1 lap." Ironically, Nintendo seems to have designed the online play with jumping into a random game in mind.

Too bad Nintendo didn't have better game testers on this one. I can't believe they didn't anticipate this aspect of online gaming behavior. You must, must, must give people a loss when they disconnect, and have the ability to set limits on which karts people can use (to prevent R.O.B. exploitation).

Umm, unless someone else said otherwise (I don't see it), people who disconnect DO get the loss...

Mrbob

borghe said:
what I don't get is why someone would disconnect? I mean I get why, but I guess I plan on playing mostly friends and rivals.... if I am losing badly to someone, I kind of want to lose badly to them so my record is accurate and the rival system places me with more similar players... just my two cents.. I suppose there are idiots though who want a great record even if their ability doesn't exactly reflect it. :\

Welcome to the world of online gaming.

borghe

Teddman said:
See post #239 on page 5 of this thread.
that doesn't refer to win/loss at all in regards to disconnects.. it just says you can't see how many times they have disconnected.. i.e. how many of those losses are from disconnects.

borghe

Mrbob said:
Welcome to the world of online gaming.
heh.. I have been here for a while (around 15 years actually). I was referring specifically in regards to rival play (should have specified). with the rival system in place there almost seems to be MORE reasons to not disconnect than to do so. In games in leagues and stuff for online sports games, disconnecting makes sense (to a certain degree). but here where your rank suffers anyway and arguably it can skew your "rival mode" level, it just seems counterproductive..

who knows..

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This isn't really applicable to the Mario Kart thread, but I don't want to start my own:

However, can someone create an offical TONY HAWK SK8LAND thread and discuss impressions for that game too?

I wanna know how it plays on NWFC, and what its online features are.

To see if it warrants a purcahse as well.

Nester

John Harker said:
This isn't really applicable to the Mario Kart thread, but I don't want to start my own:

However, can someone create an offical TONY HAWK SK8LAND thread and discuss impressions for that game too?

Go to the media page for Tony Hawk at Gamespot HERE

View the movie titled "Tony Hawk's American Sk8land WiFi Gameplay Demonstration"

Excellent showing of the online features, though I don't think it shows chat or inviting a specific friend your specific game, both of which can be done.

The video titled "Tony Hawk's American Sk8land Game Demonstration" is a really good watch as well. Both of these videos sold me on the game and I now have it prepaid in full.

Sorry for the brief derail. :)

John Harker

SpeedRazor said:
Go to the media page for Tony Hawk at Gamespot HERE

View the movie titled "Tony Hawk's American Sk8land WiFi Gameplay Demonstration"

Excellent showing of the online features, though I don't think it shows chat or inviting a specific friend your specific game, both of which can be done.

The video titled "Tony Hawk's American Sk8land Game Demonstration" is a really good watch as well. Both of these videos sold me on the game and I now have it prepaid in full.

Sorry for the brief derail. :)

So you CAN chat and invite specific friends.

THANKS SpeedRazor

GDJustin

John Harker said:

Although I'm sure folks like IGN and Gspot etc. have Tony Hawk since its out next week, we didn't get a retail copy to take home from the summit, like we did with kart. That's the biggest reason you're seeing so much prerelease MK chatter.

John Harker

GDJustin said:
Although I'm sure folks like IGN and Gspot etc. have Tony Hawk since its out next week, we didn't get a retail copy to take home from the summit, like we did with kart. That's the biggest reason you're seeing so much prerelease MK chatter.

Ahh, I didn't know.
That makes a lot of sense then - I was starting to get the feeling people just didn't like it, ha.

Thanks for clearing that up.

p.s. - go mario kart!

Mrbob

So Nintendo Wi Fi isn't universal? Specific from game to game?

Eh, that kind of sucks. Hope Nintendo fixes this for Revolution launch.

Now I see why it is free.

jman2050

Mrbob said:

The wi-fi settings save to your firmware for each game (if I understand Craig's comments correctly), so I'm not sure what you mean... unless you mean online features, in which case third parties have always been able to do whatever they want to augment the infrastructure.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
stinger009 said:
It would be a bit unfair if your connection went down causing you to have 5 losses.

1 is fair.
I was exaggerating with 5 losses for a drop out but I still think the penalty should be larger than finishing the race and getting 1 loss.

borghe

Mrbob said:

it has already been confirmed as universal. it actually bricked the then existing homebrew implementations (which have since been fixed). futhermore, every game provides the exact same interface into the settings. but someone else in this thread already confirmed that when he put his review copy of Tony Hawk in his settings from Mario Kart were already in there.

teepo

:Motorbass said:
Stupid. Watch and learn. You won't get better by playing people at or below your skill. (unless that hidden Character is a real balancing problem)

hey stupid its kindoff hard to watch and learn when you're 20 seconds behind.

stupiddd

Nester

Mrbob said:

The only thing that is not universal is friends lists. That's game specific.

I certainly don't want some of my friends that I'll be racing with in Mario Kart to be barging into my town in Animal Crossing and cutting all my trees down. So I don't mind as much.

Still, I wish there was an underlying friends list aside from the game specific friends lists so I could see if someone else was playing Tony Hawk while I'm playing Mario Kart. :(

GDJustin

SpeedRazor said:
I certainly don't want some of my friends that I'll be racing with in Mario Kart to be barging into my town in Animal Crossing and cutting all my trees down. So I don't mind as much.

In AC you can boot anyone out of your town anytime you like.

Mrbob

SpeedRazor said:
The only thing that is not universal is friends lists. That's game specific.

Still, I wish there was an underlying friends list aside from the game specific friends lists so I could see if someone else was playing Tony Hawk while I'm playing Mario Kart. :(

I'm getting confused. I had hoped for a universal friends list not game specific list. You have to compile your list for every game right?

I don't expect Xbox Live level online play, but I would like a little more effort like having a universal friends list being able to see who is playing what. I'll give Nintendo credit for being a little more daring than Sony in the online arena at the moment.

Nester

GDJustin said:
In AC you can boot anyone out of your town anytime you like.

I know, but it just takes a few whacks before a couple trees are down before you have a chance to boot them out.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Keep in mind guys that NWC, just like Xbox live, will evolve over time.

None of these features were initially available for Xbox Live back when it debuted in 2002:

matchmaking
clans
marketplace
live arcade
MSN messenger integration

heck, I don't even think Live Aware was a feature initially available.

mutsu

mutsu said:
On the bottom of this page:

http://wifi.nintendo.co.jp/information/qa/01.html

It says if you bought your DS and game (Mario Kart or Animal Crossing) in Japan, then you cannot take it outside of Japan and connect it through Nintendo WFC. Would this be the case? If so, why? I assume every country has a different place like www.nintendowifi.com to register their account?

Can anyone share their wisdom on this? Because I am thinking of importing the Japanese version of Mario Kart DS... wouldn't be much use if I can't play it outside of Japan...

Would anyone here know anything about this? I just don't understand why it would not work.

Kroole

mutsu said:
Would anyone here know anything about this? I just don't understand why it would not work.
That seems a bit weird considering that you should be able to compete against opponents from all over the world.

mutsu said:

Some possibilities as I see it:

I would imagine its referring specifically to Nintendo sponsored hotspots. Your own router would allow you to connect to any domain you please...

Of course, they could be detecting your region by IP and forwarding you to the nearest WFC server, with the games being designed to function best with local ones. I doubt this, I'm not even sure its 100% reliable and possible.

Maybe its just that Nintendo spots in the states might be allowing exclusive access to the american Nintendo WFC domains rather than the Japanese ones, or something like that.

-- OR! --

They just don't want you importing games. Their local support teams can't support you, and imports probably mess with their forcasts/budgeting process... they might even be claiming more off consumers in one part of the world over the other for example. Telling you it mightnt work is one hell of a good way to make sure you dont import right?

antipode

Can any of the journalists with an import DS confirm Mario Kart worked online?

Anybody in the SF Bay Area want to do a meetup when the game is out?

Rlan

IGN have an "uncut" version of a Developer interview up. He mentions that they only decided to make Mario Kart online a little before E3 this year. That's certainly a pretty quick setup, and the main reason why they didn't add more stats or abilities.

jman2050

Rlan said:
IGN have an "uncut" version of a Developer interview up. He mentions that they only decided to make Mario Kart online a little before E3 this year. That's certainly a pretty quick setup, and the main reason why they didn't add more stats or abilities.

Now that's a very interesting piece of information.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
How many of these features could be added entirely via serverside programming? It seems like you could hack together tournaments, rankings (including loss counts for dropping), and specific friend requests via a serverside request...

Rlan

Well, from the looks of the "Beach front racing" video over at:

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Media/Media.htm?CS_pid={2BA11996-7A07-4D4D-A15C-3461C2C65860}

The SNES Tracks have DEFINITELY been expanded. Think of it as having The course be twice as large as Mario. Koopa Beach takes, what, 11 seconds to finish a lap on SMK? It now around 30 seconds. The little island in the water which usually has 1 "?" block to get [In the GBA version at least], now has 3, as it can fit them.

borghe

DavidDayton said:
How many of these features could be added entirely via serverside programming? It seems like you could hack together tournaments, rankings (including loss counts for dropping), and specific friend requests via a serverside request...
tournaments and whatnot could easily be added serverside since all the matchmaking happens server side anyway. mind you you couldn't actually control anything and it probably wouldn't look fancy on the DS.. you would just keep joining a new game and the server based on your id would stick you were you needed to be.

friends lists between games could be done IF the games were programmed for it ahead of time or if there was enough space left in the DS firmware to hold a friends list, though that could be big as you essentially have a different friend code for each game.

matchmaking is already there with rivals in tony hawk and mario kart at least.

really the only major flaws in as I see it (from what I've read) is the inability to create a specific game for specific people to join, and the inability (so it seems) to easily add friends to your game from random people you play against. AFAIK you can't even go online and look them up because two people can have the same name. mind you NONE of this has to do with the service... all of it is strictly related to mario kart.

that being said, the more I think about it the more I am merely annoyed by it than entirely put off by it. Online racing will still be fun as hell and I am sure they will expand the capabilities for MKDS in particular through some server side mods..

hey, at least Nintendo is finally going online and it doesn't suck much at all.. that definitely counts for something. :)

:Motorbass said:
Wuot? No. It's delayed to 25. Nov. At least in Germany and I thought in whole Europe. That's known for some weeks...

Owned cant wait for him to wake up tommorow run to the store and the clerks to laugh at him.

I had a guy come into Circuit City today (2nd job 1 shift a week for a discount ftw) and he was asking for Mario Kart DS.. I told him its not out yet and he called me a bull shitter cause he saw people online at Nintendowifi.com and I explained it was press who got press packets last week for reviewing the game etc and he went on saying it was bullshit how they deceived people like that and quickly reversed the story into "My uh son told me it was out and wanted it" yet the whole time it was quite obvious he was buying it for himself..

Top Bottom