• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Mario Kart game?

Favorite Mario Kart?

• Super Mario Kart

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Mario Kart 64

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Mario Kart Super Circuit

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Mario Kart Double Dash

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Mario Kart DS

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Mario Kart Arcade GP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario Kart Arcade GP 2

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Mario Kart Wii

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Mario Kart 7

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Mario Kart Arcade GP DX

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Mario Kart 8/Deluxe

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • Mario Kart Tour (lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
a couple days ago i managed to get Mario Kart Wii online set up on my PC, and playing it reminded me how genuinely really fun this game is. (and also the fact that the character models are even more low poly than i actually remember, LOL) Mario Kart in general despite all its flaws (and my thoughts on it) is a very popular, and for the most part well crafted franchise. People love this franchise but people never state what their favorite entry is so.... go on!!!

Personally i don't think there's any Mario Kart that can compare to Wii. It does frustrate the shit out of me sometimes, but the courses are honestly some of the most unique and creative in the series. This wasn't the first Mario kart to try out more 'out there' course designs but it was frankly really unique in doing so... Coconut mall has the most iconic course and music of any mario kart game ever. it's not just that area either, there's also mushroom gorge with the mushroom cave, Toad's factory with the conveyor belts and mudslide, grumble volcano's erupting course, Moo Moo Meadows (which granted is mostly a retread of Moo Moo Farm, but it's designed better and more interesting to go through as a course) with the burrowing enemies, it's a canvas of creativity and Nintendo wasted not a single space. Not to mention the speedrunning scene the game has and the mods that were made, community wise it's one of the most supported and beloved Mario Karts

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
8 Deluxe is very cool but I've put soooo many hours into the Wii one with friends that I have to vote that one.

Manji Uzuki

For me 64, it has a lot of charm and I played the shit out of it when It released. Close second is the DS one. 8 is nice and has a lot of content but I think has less interesting tracks overall (less shortcuts for instance)

I feel like an angry old man saying this but I think the balance between skill and luck has never been handled better than in the original.

N64 one was mind blowing at the time but it doesn’t hold up.

GBA Super Circuit is underrated.

Saber

Gold Member
Double Dash is fun as fuck.
The special itens are unbalanced sure, but playing 4-players with chaotic setting is a thing of beauty. And the stages are pretty damn nice to play.

Banjo64

cumsessed
8D and Smash Ultimate are the zeniths.

I have great nostalgia for the N64/Game Cube entries in those franchises, but they aren’t close.

I’d go;

1. Mario Kart 8/D.
2. Mario Kart DS.
3. Mario Kart 64.
4. Double Dash.
5. Mario Kart SNES.

Naked Lunch

The original and Double Dash are the best of the series.
DD has a SegaRacer-like drift/boost system with some really great tracks.

MK64's gameplay is so bad. Not sure what happened with that game.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Mario Kart 64 is the best Nintendo 64 game in my childhood and will always be my number 1 racing game of all time! All tracks never get old and the music is awesome and the best track with the best music is Rainbow Road! All racing cups are amazing I like the Special Cup the best.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's a tie between Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart DS.

MK8 is pretty damn good. But I like simplicity, and MK8 has too many elements. All of them are awesome though.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Ah! Only allowed one vote! Alrighty then...Double-dash. Loved that one and still do. However right behind that:

Super Circuit, Super Mario Kart (just nostalgia) and 8 Deluxe

CeeJay

I feel like an angry old man saying this but I think the balance between skill and luck has never been handled better than in the original.

N64 one was mind blowing at the time but it doesn’t hold up.

GBA Super Circuit is underrated.
All true. N64 one was full cheating AI.

Super Circuit got my vote even if the gba gave me awful hand cramps

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"The one I grew up with"

But it's actually 8. By a country mile.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
For me MK64 is the best it comes down to memorable tracks and soundtracks.

flying mario kart GIF

Bragr

Banned
The DS one had the best balance between the racing and the rubber-band bullshit, and Mario Kart is great as a handheld game too. Mario Kart 8 after that one.

Rat Rage

Mario Kart 7 is the best. Best tracks, best customization, great item balance, lot's of viable builds. Monster tires were a bit over powered, but quite a few other builds were still viable (and they all handled quite differently, which helped the gameplay variety) . Tracks weren't too wide, either, which made the races exciting.
I also think it had the best mix of tracks.

Last edited:

Codes 208

8DX > DS > DD > wii > 64 > everything else

Though for 8 its gotta be DX for the extras, double items, dlc content off the bat, NEW dlc and return of traditional battle modes. otherwise Id put basic 8 just below DD

DS is a close second because its the only one to have a single player challenge mode (it also had some of my favorite tracks like its version of rainbow road, luigis mansion and peach’s garden)

Last edited:
Diddy Kong Racing
Damn this game was so much better than MK64. I've tried to convince so many of my friends to play it with me instead of MK64, but they always said MK64 was better just because its MK64.

The graphics, the handling, the courses, the campaign... everything was just supirior compared to MK64.

And still to this day there is no fun racer with that structure.

Shut0wen

As in online play definitely mario kart 7, 8 is abysmal, Literally full of waluigi and wiggler scrubs, matio kart 8 wii u was way more balanced then this

McGILLAZ

I played the arcade version recently and was shocked that you can take a picture of your face that floats above your kart for others to laugh at - how hasn't this made it it into a home port? Doesn't the Switch have camera right on top?

Davevil

I played the arcade version recently and was shocked that you can take a picture of your face that floats above your kart for others to laugh at - how hasn't this made it it into a home port? Doesn't the Switch have camera right on top?
because if you enable that function, a second later you are surrounded by flying penises playing online

Green_Eyes

Super Circuit had the best tracks; Double Dash was the most fun; Super Mario Kart is the most nostalgic (ofc).

Went with Super Circuit though because it gave me the bestest of feels even though I sucked at it.

Last edited:

calistan

Super Mario Kart is the only one that requires any real skill. Mario Kart 64 is the one I had the most fun with in multiplayer, though, despite it having the single worst track of probably any racing game ever.

The more recent ones are massively dumbed down, with stupidly wide tracks so that toddlers and grannies can get around without getting stuck in a chicane. They have uncontrollable cutscenes where you get blasted through cannons, and there's minimal penalty for crashing. And those ones are by far the best selling, so what do I know?

Unpopular opinion, but none of the others have felt as much fun as Mario Kart DS.
In my hazy memory, MK DS is where power sliding actually started to feel good. It was the first time I really started to feel satisfaction from MK.

8 is my favorite though. It feels good to play, looks really beautiful, has a great soundtrack, and the sheer amount of content is crazy.

mako

Mario Kart DS. Crowning achievement was being reported as a cheater on GameFAQs because the other guy couldn't snake.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The most recent Mario Kart that was made for the WiiU is amazing. The Switch version and the amount of tracks is incredible. Adding the Tour tracks actually makes those tracks fun. I really loved the SNES, N64 and DS versions.

Top Bottom