• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

fresquito

chespace said:
The biggest problem with Mario Kart DS is that a 4 player race soon becomes a 2 player race. The players in 3rd and 4th place always drop because they don't want a loss on their record. And the person in 2nd place will drop if they're on their last lap with no chance of catching up. It's pretty pathetic.
This is pathethic, specially taking into account the fact that indeed it´s not open to the general public yet. This talk worlds about the industry. All the time complaining because Nintendo didn´t support online and now they all quit while playing.

I guess after all we will end up playing with friend buddies instead with random people.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
nine words said:
This is pathethic, specially taking into account the fact that indeed it´s not open to the general public yet. This talk worlds about the industry. All the time complaining because Nintendo didn´t support online and now they all quit while playing.

I guess after all we will end up playing with friend buddies instead with random people.

I'm willing to bet most of the people with the game haven't read the instruction manual to realize that online races are in the form of 4 race 'gp' modes, so they drop after the first or second race...

I'll admit I did that before I realized online matches were GP based.

d

I can't understand the mentality of someone that just quits. Surely playing someone better will improve your game, maybe learn new tricks, which line to take etc. Also this is Mario Kart, anything can happen for goodness sake, just because a guy has a lead doesn't mean he'll win the race. It's even weirder because the people playing now do so for a living, maybe a few egos took a hammering with people finding out they're not quite up to the standard they thought they were.

antipode

This is a shot in the dark, but maybe people aren't dropping on purpose but it's an artifact of how the network code runs? It could be that whoever is in first place is sort of "hosting" the game - so when people behind you start having network problems connecting to your DS, the game decides to drop them. From your perspective, you would never drop until you are the last person left, since you're the one "hosting" to begin with.

It's sort of a fault of a Wi-Fi system that doesn't allow you to choose to host a game, yet someone has to be hosting to be an arbitrator of who got hit with a red shell, etc.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
When a thread is started here on GAF to give out friend codes and any one of those people drop out more than a few times (we should give allowance for network errors) we should all delete them. I don't care if you're fourth, finish the fucking race.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
eh... for all we know we could be making a mountain out of a mole hill.. maybe things won't be bad at all once the public jumps in....

besides, we know everyone in the industry is a wank anyway!!! :lol :lol

vitaflo

Dropouts suck. At least you know that if you race me I'm not going to disconnect on anyone (not because I'm losing anyway). I suspect I'll be the exception rather than the rule, given how weaksauce online gamers tend to be.

Anyone know how the server selects players in world mode? I'm curious if it's based on win/loss records, and it tries to match you with like-skilled players. If that's the case, then the people who drop all the time so they can maintain a perfect record are ones I won't be racing against much (I expect to lose).

fresquito

DrEvil said:
I'm willing to bet most of the people with the game haven't read the instruction manual to realize that online races are in the form of 4 race 'gp' modes, so they drop after the first or second race...

I'll admit I did that before I realized online matches were GP based.

d
Well, that would be understandable if people would also quit when they are first, and I think no reports have been written about this happening.

A technical question. Is it possible that if this happens a lot, Nintendo releases an update where people playing online will be penalized when dropping from the race?

sammy

I know a lot of buddies of mine that have gotten so used to just closing their DS (just like it was pause) --- especially my gf .... They don't really realize that the WiFi is interrupted at that point - and always seem baffled when they open their DS and multiplayer is haulted.

I bet tons of people just close their DS not realizing --- hopefully this'll get better as people play ..... Still it's a portable game, and everyone isn't gonna sit through a whole GP at McDonalds for 20min.

borghe

sammy said:
I know a lot of buddies of mine that have gotten so used to just closing their DS (just like it was pause)
HOLY SHIT!! I just realized I did this last night when I stopped Phoenix Wright for the night.. and I haven't charged it in days...

ahhh crap.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so wait a minute, if someone drops out of the race they aren't credited with a loss? if true that's pretty fucking stupid.

suaveric

Error2k4 said:
so wait a minute, if someone drops out of the race they aren't credited with a loss? if true that's pretty fucking stupid.

Here's where Nintendo's newbie online game making starts to shine. I suspect this will be the first and last game to not show some sort of record of people who drop.

Mihail

Banned
suaveric said:
Here's where Nintendo's newbie online game making starts to shine. I suspect this will be the first and last game to now show some sort of record of people who drop.
A technical question: since the actual calculation of wins/losses/disconnects is handled by their server, they can update how the data is handled, no? For example, if I'm not mistaken, even tomorrow they can decide to start counting 2nd or 3rd lap disconnects as losses.

I'm not saying they're going to do that. I just want to confirm that it's possible.

suaveric

Mihail said:
A technical question: since the actual calculation of wins/losses/disconnects is handled by their server, they can update how the data is handled, no? For example, if I'm not mistaken, even tomorrow they can decide to start counting 2nd or 3rd lap disconnects as losses.

I'm not saying they're going to do that. I just want to confirm that it's possible.

I'm not sure if anyone knows outside of Nintendo. I'm sure they could set it up so it counts that, but those stats might only be available on the website. If it would require the game having new code written for it to display in-game, that's not going to happen, obviously.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Could someone maybe make my ducky avatar in the decal maker (and include the GAF logo, too)? :)

Nester

PezRadar said:
Confirming.. my router was on the list for compatibilty issues..

BULL SHIT

Worked like a charm :D

So which one was it so those people can breathe a sigh of relief?

vitaflo

PezRadar said:
Netgear WGT624 people.. I have v2.. i dont think itll make a difference though :p

Do you have WEP enabled? I had a v1 but got rid of it because I could never get WEP to work at all without it dropping all the time, so I always had it wide open. Wonder if that's part of the issues Nintendo saw.

no WEP on.. i had to turn on ssid broadcats though my normal pcs pick it up w.o it..

Also lets start swapping codes.. the lack of games is keeling me.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Jeff-DSA said:
My Mac:

My DS ID:

Dude edit those out right now, lol. That's personal info. Your friend code is gotten by selecting the "confirm friend code" menu option, under friend code, under wifi.

Teddman

What's that test you can do with Pictochat and your router's setup web page to see if it senses the DS as a wireless device?

Mofo

Just for the record over the whole loss over disconnect contraversy... I've just tested this again, and when I disconnected after losing 1 match my win-loss changed from 20-1 to 20-2. Don't know what else to say. I'm not going to keep trying it because I take pride in my W/L record... but there you go.

vitaflo

Mofo said:
Just for the record over the whole loss over disconnect contraversy... I've just tested this again, and when I disconnected after losing 1 match my win-loss changed from 20-1 to 20-2. Don't know what else to say. I'm not going to keep trying it because I take pride in my W/L record... but there you go.

Thanks for testing that. That's about as much confirmation as I need. Happy it's like that.

Drensch

Has anyone with the dongle tried to connect to it via something other than the Ds? Like a psp or Laptop? Or has anyone with the game tried to connect via other methods, unlisted-different routers, the Buffalo dongle, unofficial hotspots?

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
I played several rounds of wireless 5-player, 1-cart play and Mario Kart DS is quite fun. It's spiffy that the bottom screen can be toggled between overhead/map radar and close-vicinity radar displays Too bad there's no rear-view point-of-view (like say Burnout Revenge), that would have been nice...heh.

Controls are easy and tight, and I wanna master the powersliding technique so I can get better lap times and smoke my opponents...haha.

The VS. tracks I played on were: Figure 8, Yoshi Circuit, Cheep Cheep Beach, Luigi's Mansion, Peach Circuit, Moo Moo Farm, and some others. The Battle Arenas I tried were the Nintendo DS (edges of doom!) and Sweet Cake (oh no cream in the face! :p). The tracks were nice and detailed, but the basic ones (like Figure 8) were kinda bland.

I thought it sucked that everyone was relegated to being a ShyGuy if they didn't have an actual cart, and the host can be any character. -_-

A very fun and competitive game for sure, Mario Kart DS is right up there with the likes of Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart: Super Circuit. Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart: Double Dash!! don't compare.... :p

Rlan

It was mentioned in the MKDS GAF Clan topic, but one way people can try and send their friend code to others would be via their icon. Like Motorbass posted:

So, I made this chart: (don't ask why)
decalchart9ln.png

I think Mario Kart uses "every other pixel" interpolation for the half-sized Icons. Its the easiest but you see: not readable while inside the race (but who cares).

Another Thing: If you don't want to waste your Username to hide the 10-digit Friends-ID in (if possible) why not write it into your decal:
This one is even readable on 16x16 pixels:
decal23yg.png

Or:
decal10fr.png

Get your magnifier glasses! :D

edit: for the completion, the palette once again

I've tried making some via:

gafsonic1.png
gafmario1.png
gafmegaman1.png

Any other suggestions on how to incorporate 12 numbers + pictures would be great :)

Ninja Dom

Rlan said:
It was mentioned in the MKDS GAF Clan topic, but one way people can try and send their friend code to others would be via their icon. Like Motorbass posted:

So, I made this chart: (don't ask why)

I think Mario Kart uses "every other pixel" interpolation for the half-sized Icons. Its the easiest but you see: not readable while inside the race (but who cares).

Another Thing: If you don't want to waste your Username to hide the 10-digit Friends-ID in (if possible) why not write it into your decal:
This one is even readable on 16x16 pixels:

Or:

Get your magnifier glasses! :D

edit: for the completion, the palette once again

I've tried making some via:

gafsonic1.png
gafmario1.png
gafmegaman1.png

Any other suggestions on how to incorporate 12 numbers + pictures would be great :)

Just to make it easy for everybody to read my Friend Code, I may have just the Friend Code as my Decal with no pic or anything else.

Rlan

Actually, I'm not even sure if it WILL work. Do we see other peoples icons at their original resolution? The image shown when racing is smaller than the usual image, and I haven't seen any "Joining game" movies around, so I'm not too sure. Do we see their full icons in the "joining game" section?

Mofo

And for one last time - you do get the loss on your record if you quit while losing. I'm the sure the PGC guy is pissed, but I had to quit because of the kids waking up, so after being trounced in two races I quit... and whamo - I got the loss. Hope this puts this reported negative to a rest.

jman2050

Mofo said:
And for one last time - you do get the loss on your record if you quit while losing. I'm the sure the PGC guy is pissed, but I had to quit because of the kids waking up, so after being trounced in two races I quit... and whamo - I got the loss. Hope this puts this reported negative to a rest.

And yet people will still ignore you...

borghe

Drensch said:
Has anyone with the dongle tried to connect to it via something other than the Ds? Like a psp or Laptop? Or has anyone with the game tried to connect via other methods, unlisted-different routers, the Buffalo dongle, unofficial hotspots?
my guess is that you could make an ad hoc connection with the dongle from anything (psp) but then the proprietary software will prevent other devices from routing through your pc.. just a guess though.

jman2050 said:
And yet people will still ignore you...
sad but true.. repeat folks. we have multiple players WITH THE GAME confirming that you get a loss from dropping connection.

Keio

For a Finer World
I'm being owned at all my online races. The nightmare starts on the starting line, when everyone else boosts away. What's the secret - I can't figure out the timing of accelerating!

Please help :) At least I'd get owned a bit less.

Xrenity

Keio said:
I'm being owned at all my online races. The nightmare starts on the starting line, when everyone else boosts away. What's the secret - I can't figure out the timing of accelerating!

Please help :) At least I'd get owned a bit less.
Tap on every count down second and push after the 1
3 - tap simultaneously
2 - same
1 - same
(GO! message?) - PRESS GOOOOOOO

One might say boost on the fourth second. Worked in Double Dash anyway

Keio

For a Finer World
Now it's different! I finally figured how to boost at the start.

Press the accelerator down when the number 2 is disappearing: you'll reach maximum revs when the start happens and you'll boost away like crazy.

Not as intuitive as the old system, but maybe purposefully harder? Dunno.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
New Mario Kart Review

Also, UK Official Nintendo Magazine gave Mario Kart 95%.
To put things into perspective they gave the following scores in the same issue:

Batallion Wars - 78%
Mario Football - 79%
Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness - 58%
Mario Baseball - 59%

Here are some quotes from the review:

Quote:
It plays almost like a 3D version of the original Mario kart

Quote:
The handlng of the karts is spot on

Quote:
The balance of the items has been improved...high powered weapons are far rarer

Quote:
the most fantastic tracks in the history of Mario Kart

Quote:
One of the best Nintendo multiplayer expriences out there

Quote:
This is the Mario Kart game we've been waiting for since we fell in love with the original back in 1992

Top Bottom