• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

Nintendo better address the problems with their wifi site. The US launch is days away and I still can't log in. I'm sure by Monday night a majority of gamers will be trying to get that shit online. I can only hope Nintendo has the service ironed out.

Nester

evilromero said:
Nintendo better address the problems with their wifi site. The US launch is days away and I still can't log in. I'm sure by Monday night a majority of gamers will be trying to get that shit online. I can only hope Nintendo has the service ironed out.

I've never had a problem logging into nintendowifi.com. Are you able to login at nintendo.com without problems?

Aurora

marc^o^ said:
New Mario Kart Review

Also, UK Official Nintendo Magazine gave Mario Kart 95%.
To put things into perspective they gave the following scores in the same issue:

Batallion Wars - 78%
Mario Football - 79%
Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness - 58%
Mario Baseball - 59%

Here are some quotes from the review:

Quote:
It plays almost like a 3D version of the original Mario kart

Quote:
The handlng of the karts is spot on

Quote:
The balance of the items has been improved...high powered weapons are far rarer

Quote:
the most fantastic tracks in the history of Mario Kart

Quote:
One of the best Nintendo multiplayer expriences out there

Quote:
This is the Mario Kart game we've been waiting for since we fell in love with the original back in 1992

Awesome thanks.
I'm a bit surprised by the scores for Pokémon XD and Mario Baseball. Are they that bad?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Xrenity said:
Tap on every count down second and push after the 1
3 - tap simultaneously
2 - same
1 - same
(GO! message?) - PRESS GOOOOOOO

One might say boost on the fourth second. Worked in Double Dash anyway

Dude you just hold down "A" on 2.

Keio said:
Now it's different! I finally figured how to boost at the start.

Press the accelerator down when the number 2 is disappearing: you'll reach maximum revs when the start happens and you'll boost away like crazy.

Not as intuitive as the old system, but maybe purposefully harder? Dunno.

Thats how I did it in MK: DD. In MK64 (maybe on SNES, GBA too, I can't remember) different class racers had different Startboost-Timings, they unified that in MK: DD to make it easier.

SpeedRazor said:
I've never had a problem logging into nintendowifi.com. Are you able to login at nintendo.com without problems?
Yes. I log in quite frequently to NOA. But everytime I try the wifi site it goes to the white screen as if the page wasn't found.

ziran

GDJustin said:
Modojo has the most in-depth look yet at Mario Kart Online and Nintendo's online service in general (with lots of pics):

http://www.modojo.com/features/20051110/21/
nice article, thanks. it's cleared up many questions i had.

Even with those issues excused, there are other problems that dampen the experience. If you do have a friends list populated with gamers you know in real life, you can't choose specifically who you want to race. All you can select is to "race friends" and it'll then randomly pick from other friends of yours that are online. This is a major problem that prevents communities from setting up tournies, and is a level of control needlessly taken away from gamers.
this quote is puzzling and bad imo. why not allow people to choose who they want to race?

overall though, the impressions and reviews i've read make mkds sound outstanding! :)

GDJustin

Teddman said:
Great article. One thing I'm curious about which is not covered involves routers with WEP enabled. Is there a screen in which you input the passcode?

Yeah, I guess I should have taken a pic of that too. From this screen:

mk4.JPG

you can hit A and go into the details of that connection, which shows all those kinds of tech things that most people will probably be able to ignore

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
marc^o^ said:
Quote:
This is the Mario Kart game we've been waiting for since we fell in love with the original back in 1992
I can't believe going into the weekend I just want it to be over now. :(

Teddman

Yay, looks like Nintendo's techs just weren't thorough enough. Now I don't have to worry about getting a new router to play some Kart.
Posted Nov 7, 2005, 2:58 PM ET by Wari0

I was in the Nintendo WiFi Beta and I own a D-Link DI-514. I had to go in and manually adjust some settings to get my DS to go online with the crappy D-Link router. It was a b/g compatibility issue. After I tweaked a setting, (see D-Link's troubleshooting page for b/g compatibility), my DS was online without a hitch.
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000667066925/

Jeff-DSA

This game kept me up WAY late last night. Homework? Who cares about homework?

Anyway, I can already declare that this is my favorite Mario Kart game ever. The online is bit slim, but it's really, really, fun. The tracks are the best in the series and the retro cups do a great job at brining most of the greatest hits back.

Heaven is on the DS.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
empanada said:
If you're looking for a router with AOSS, Fry's has this on sale this weekend.

1372924_2684393.jpg
damn that is tempting.. will have to see how my netgear v6 works.. AOSS + WPA makes borghe happy.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
.oO( *Don't hate congratulate* )

I am really happy for you guys that you can already play this. :)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I finally played the game today for a good hour or two. Didn't go online but I played single-player and a shit load of multiplayer. It handles like the SNES version and plays better than MK64 and Double Dash IMO. I only played for such a short while so my impressions are a bit brief and I can't really impart any new knowledge beyond what is known. I thought most of the new tracks were very well planned out and most of all FUN. The other great addition is the new A.I., easily the best out of all the Mario Karts.

Well that's it, great game definitely worth a purchase.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Hooray figured it out

And yes I just edited my post before you posted :lol

Great Score!

fresquito

Not being able to set up a game with selected friends is a serious letdown :-/ I can understand no lobby or chat-room for strangers, but not being able to choose which friends do you want to face is plain stupidity.

OH SHIT BREAKING NEWS!!

This is in regards to friend match playing.. That no review site has even listed.

In the manual page 40 in an orange box theres an area that talks about locking specific people on your friends list so that you dont accidently delete there entry.

Also in that box it states and i quote

"If both you and an opponent lock eachother's information on your friend rosters and then choose to race against friends on the Nintendo WFC at the same time, the chances of the two of you being matched up for a race INCREASE"

Woot even better chances of going agst certain people right there :D

Rlan

I.. don't understand the sentence.

Does it mean if you and a friend both have a specific friend on your list, it is more likely that he will join your game via Friend game? Would make much od a difference if not many of your friends are online at one time..

Rlan said:
I.. don't understand the sentence.

Does it mean if you and a friend both have a specific friend on your list, it is more likely that he will join your game via Friend game? Would make much od a difference if not many of your friends are online at one time..

Wish i had a digital camera..

On your firneds list.. that you pull up, theres small padlock icons next to everyones name on your list.. you have the option of hitting the padlocks and LOCKING them so they dont get deleted from your list accidently, doing this ALSO...

Gives you a better chance of matching with them as opposed to other friends with there padlocks unlocked

Make sense?

So locking your friends with the padlock is good, unlocking is still okay but less chance you will match agst them then if you padlocked them when you choose friends mode to go agst friends only.

Not yet announced but very reliable Gaming-Universe.de is reporting that for Germany Nintendo is in bed with T-Mobile / T-Com to provide free access to Wi-Fi-Connection via their hotspots. Those hotspots are nearly everywhere in Germany - in McDonald's, Starbucks, various restaurants, train stations, airports... that's a huge deal.
The evidence behind their report is the new German Mario Kart DS print ad with a "T-Com Hotspot enabled"-logo.
After UK that's the next nearly perfect Hotspot deal! Nintendo takes it serious, even in Europe :)

Scoring System Online

Ive noticed its really irky, been noticing this tonight checking my record, and I saw DarkainMX noticed it too.

Lets say you are playing 3 other people.. And you win.. You dont get 1 win.. you get 3 wins

Lets say you are playing 2 other people and you win.. You get 2 wins

Lets say you are playing 3 other people but get second.. You get 2 wins and 1 loss

Lets say you are playing 2 other people and you tie for first place with 1 other. You get 1 win the other tied person gets 1 win.. The loser gets 2 losses.

So win for every person you beat.. Loss for every person you lose too

Also..

DarkainMX was posting on Nintendo Forums saying that he is noticing scoring has been changing.. Dropped players are giving him wins.. So if 2 people drop.. he would get 2 wins, and then the third person he beat who stayed he got another win off of that. But he hasnt tested it with 1v1.

Calidor

PezRadar said:
Scoring System Online

Ive noticed its really irky, been noticing this tonight checking my record, and I saw DarkainMX noticed it too.

Lets say you are playing 3 other people.. And you win.. You dont get 1 win.. you get 3 wins

Lets say you are playing 2 other people and you win.. You get 2 wins

Lets say you are playing 3 other people but get second.. You get 2 wins and 1 loss

Lets say you are playing 2 other people and you tie for first place with 1 other. You get 1 win the other tied person gets 1 win.. The loser gets 2 losses.

So win for every person you beat.. Loss for every person you lose too

Also..

DarkainMX was posting on Nintendo Forums saying that he is noticing scoring has been changing.. Dropped players are giving him wins.. So if 2 people drop.. he would get 2 wins, and then the third person he beat who stayed he got another win off of that. But he hasnt tested it with 1v1.

looks like Nintendo reads GAF :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Calidor said:
looks like Nintendo reads GAF :)

or probably forums in general I'd imagine. sweet that losing is punished. now I won't feel like such a dick if I have to legitimately drop. Cause lets face it, that does happen. (especially with my randomly stopping internet connection grrrr)

thegodsend said:
Not yet announced but very reliable Gaming-Universe.de is reporting that for Germany Nintendo is in bed with T-Mobile / T-Com to provide free access to Wi-Fi-Connection via their hotspots. Those hotspots are nearly everywhere in Germany - in McDonald's, Starbucks, various restaurants, train stations, airports... that's a huge deal.
The evidence behind their report is the new German Mario Kart DS print ad with a "T-Com Hotspot enabled"-logo.
After UK that's the next nearly perfect Hotspot deal! Nintendo takes it serious, even in Europe :)

I really hope that this is correct. It would be absolutely logical and there are TONS and TONS of T-Com hotspots here (afaik over 5000 from T-Com alone).

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
can someone confirm if the 'hit by a shell' noise is the same as the hilarious one from the original? please let it be so!

thwaaaaack!!

GDJustin

PezRadar said:
\

DarkainMX is HIMSELF a dropper. I was smoking him first race in a 1v1 when HE was ROB and I was Yoshi, and he dropped.

Top Bottom