• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 Review Thread

Polygon - 7.5

DICE has failed once again to make Battlefield 4 a serious singleplayer contender. But its emphasis on ambitious, team-based multiplayer does wonders to wash the taste of that failure away. Battlefield 4 takes the elements that have made each installment work and glues them together successfully — even if some rough edges show here or there.

Gamespot - 8

So with five versions of the game spread across two generations of consoles, which is the best Battlefield? Unsurprisingly, the PC version remains on top with excellent visuals and sprawling 64-player matches that make the most of the great maps and incredible combat diversity.

IGN - 8.5

Battlefield 4 is an excellent multiplayer game that makes the most of its ambitions, proving once again that destruction is a valuable strategic addition to competitive combat, which reaches its full potential with two killer Commanders are bringing out the best in their squads. On the other hand, its single-player campaign is a disappointing, but functioning and familiar game with overwhelming action and remarkable spectacle.

Joystiq - 9

The main draw for the Battlefield series has always been the chaotic camaraderie of its multiplayer, and that's no different here. But the sum of Battlefield 4's parts shows that DICE is capable of more. Not only has the developer iterated on and progressed its marquee multiplayer, it's provided a tight and cohesive campaign that is everything a military shooter needs to be.

Adam Sessler/Rev3: 4/5

+ scale remains stunning
+ smart new gamemodes
+ encounters can be thrilling and inventive
- massive levels can hurt pacing
- weak sp campaign

Game Informer: 8.75

Battlefield 4 doesn't advance the series in any significant way, but the subtle improvements provide enough incentive for multiplayer fans to invest heavily in the land, air, and sea battles. Given the underwhelming performance of yet another story campaign, maybe DICE was on to something in ignoring single-player altogether in Battlefield 1942. Imagine what the studio could do if it invested all that manpower into making its already good multiplayer experience even better.

PC Gamer: 84

DICE is certainly guilty of taking an “if it ain’t broke” attitude to creating BF4, but its modest multiplayer refinements alongside excellent maps are enough to make it one of our favorite current FPSes. A cynic would call BF4 a deluxe map pack in sequel’s clothing. If that’s your predisposition, know that it’s at least a wonderful map pack, one with enough variety, depth, and quality to survive a year of intense play.

Eurogamer: 8

Consider this the last gasp of the old multiplayer model then. It's a fine swansong, especially when played on the most powerful platforms, and in particular if you treat the campaign as a free bonus feature. It's hard not to wonder just what DICE will be able to do when it no longer has to hobble its designs to suit ageing hardware, though.

Gametrailers - 9.5

Polygon failing posting random low scores again. I think IGN's is most accurate, imo. Should be higher but I <3 battlefield ;).

In what way?

I don't think their scores for a lot of games make much sense, at least to me.

They failed because they Gave it a point less than ign and half a point below GameSpot.

Oh boy what can you say.

The difference between a 7.5 and an 8.5 is actually pretty large. Especially with the "anything below a 7 is garbage" system videogame reviewing has become.

EDIT: Changed my wording, didn't mean to crap-up the first post.

Maybe Dice should just make it a multiplayer game only. The game is getting points knocked off because of the campaign. Really a shame.

sephi22

"DICE has failed once again to make Battlefield 4 a serious singleplayer contender"
Should be
"DICE has failed once again to make Battlefield a serious singleplayer contender"

Because this is the first time they have tried to make BF4 a serious SP contender.
amirite?

DeltaJay

Banned
Really looks like IGN is on top of their game bringing out the multiplayer content in both the Xbone and PS4. All the while Polygon wasn't given the opportunity to play multiplayer? Odd indeed.

At least this time around some journalists are calling out Dice on their crappy SP and adjusting the scores accordingly. Instead of the usual campaign sucks, but multiplayer so 10/10.

I just don't get what's going wrong with their single player campaigns. I know people say that "You don't play Battlefield for the single player", but why were the Bad Company games pretty damn good in that area while the mainline games are so lacking?

Polygon said:
Unfortunately, at this time, we can't provide final verdicts for either the Xbox One or PS4 versions of the game. Microsoft has specified that review scores must be held until Nov. 12th at 9:00AM PST, and we were not given the opportunity to play the Xbox One version's multiplayer component.

Regarding PS4, there were serious stability issues that repeatedly led to crashes after multiplayer matches concluded. As the PS4 is still more than two weeks away from its Nov. 15th launch date, it seems premature to assume that this issue will not be resolved — and penalizing the game this far from the PS4's launch doesn't seem especially fair. We will further evaluate both next-generation versions of Battlefield 4 once they launch on their respective platforms next month.

Interesting.

I just don't get what's going wrong with their single player campaigns. I know people say that "You don't play Battlefield for the single player", but why were the Bad Company games pretty damn good in that area while the mainline games are so lacking?

The original BC guys are gone I think. BC didn't take itself seriously and I prefer that.

Seanspeed

Banned
The gist of how this game will get different review scores:

- Not everybody will 'weigh' the single-player part as much as others.

Ah well. I am seriously bad at multi in Battlefield, but I love the visuals of the engine so I would have bought for the SP had it reviewed well (or at least been a good length for once with these games). Fair play though, I'm well aware that's not the focus of this series.

"DICE has failed once again to make Battlefield 4 a serious singleplayer contender"
Should be
"DICE has failed once again to make Battlefield a serious singleplayer contender"

Because this is the first time they have tried to make BF4 a serious SP contender.
amirite?

the internet is not place to argue about semantics, but yes, you are right

patapuf

At least this time around some journalists are calling out Dice on their crappy SP and adjusting the scores accordingly. Instead of the usual campaign sucks, but multiplayer so 10/10.

It just shows how meanlingless scores are. If the MP is a 10 (and that's what most are interested in) but the SP is a 6 the most accurate thing to do would be to post both scores. Not this wierd mixing that doesn't mean anything and helps no one make a purchasing descision.

Kashinoda

Banned
EA push DICE for single player to compete with COD, single player drags the review scores down... not helping it compete with COD.

Hmm. So, are some outlets claiming to have only played the single player? I wonder if they were only showing that off at review events, which some outlets are morally object to.

pelican

Maybe Dice should just make it a multiplayer game only. The game is getting points knocked off because of the campaign. Really a shame.

Exactly my thoughts.

I'm hoping by the time their next BF game appears the idea of shoe horning a SP campaign is dropped completely. Like with BF3 I have little interest in the campaign. At least Respawn seem to be sticking to their guns and making Titanfall MP focused.

Into

I was expecting it to land 85-90

I wonder if i will enjoy the SP more this time than BF3 SP, because the SP in that game was pretty bad, even to someone who enjoys 4-5 hour FPS modern military "brohahaa" macho campaigns.

Seanspeed

Banned
EA push DICE for single player to compete with COD, single player drags the review scores down... not helping it compete with COD.
Just having it at all helps them, sales-wise. They can take a bump in the review scores, but the bump in sales if it was multiplayer only would be far more massive and crippling.

Xater

Just imagine how much more content the MP could have if DICE didn't have to create a campaign. Now you play full price for something where half the game is crap.

Opinions will be opinions. They are inherently subjective and informed by the reviewer's experience with the game and the context that the game exists in. There is nothing to be 'accurate' about. This whole notion among enthusiasts during review coverage is deeply problematic.

Omni

They need to stop bothering with campaign. It's dragging the scores down - by memory it was the same damn thing as BF3.

Just focus on pumping more maps out at release. Everybody wins.

The original BC guys are gone I think. BC didn't take itself seriously and I prefer that.

That's part of the reason with BF4. But BF3's lead designer was the lead designer on BC2. The lead designer for BC1 moved on to become the lead designer of BF3's multiplayer.

I thought that the mainline Battlefield single player would be more in line with the original Bad Company, which involved really large open areas to fight in instead of being funneled from set piece to set piece. You'd think that they'd take advantage of BF's more open nature with the single player instead of making an ultra linear experience.

Seanspeed

Banned
Just imagine how much more content the MP could have if DICE didn't have to create a campaign. Now you play full price for something where half the game is crap.
Two things:

- Disappointing is not the same as 'crap'. Most of the complaints seem to be about the length, not the quality of the gameplay.

- I'm really thinking that 'half the game' is a somewhat misleading way of looking at it. Obviously the focus is on multiplayer and there are hundreds of hours to spend there, making the single-player part quite miniscule in comparison.

They need to stop bothering with campaign. It's dragging the scores down - by memory it was the same damn thing as BF3.

Just focus on pumping more maps out at release. Everybody wins.
Except DICE, who make a lot less money.

Believe it or not, review scores are not the end all, be all of how well a game does.

Its really sad when they say how much effort they are putting into the campaign,
Bad Company 1 & 2 make Battlefield 3 & 4 look like a joke.

Even putting Danger Close in charge of the campaign would have turned out much better.

Xater

Two things:

- Disappointing is not the same as 'crap'. Most of the complaints seem to be about the length, not the quality of the gameplay.

- I'm really thinking that 'half the game' is a somewhat misleading way of looking at it. Obviously the focus is on multiplayer and there are hundreds of hours to spend there, making the single-player part quite miniscule in comparison.

Except DICE, who make a lot less money.

Believe it or not, review scores are not the end all, be all of how well a game does.

If the SP of BF3 is anything to go by it will be crap by my standards. It is half the game. The game has 2 parts and one of it doesn't stack up. You can also bet that a lot of resources were spent during development to produce a SP campaign which is could have been omitted for a even better MP experience.

vanty

No one was complaining about the "singleplayer" in BF1942 so they should go back to that. A essentially multiplayer-only game that has largely terrible (they were good at shooting down planes with mounted MGs) AI that you can you use to practice if you want.

I never played BC1 since I don't play console FPS, but BC2 had a singleplayer campaign almost as bad as recent CoD titles so even going back to that won't help them.

Tekku

Too bad the campaign lowers the overall score once again. But it does seem fair. DICE wants the singleplayer to be viewed as a part of the total experience, so that's how it's gonna be judged.

Top Bottom