• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 Review Thread

Dion

Banned
Not sure why people care about the reviews.. There was an open beta where everyone could play the game and decide if they like the game themselves.

Not sure why people care about the reviews.. There was an open beta where everyone could play the game and decide if they like the game themselves.

There was an open beta where players could play one map with content left out. Sure it gives a decent impression, but reviews are nice. It also confirms that the campaign sucks, again.

Which you can't really go by because it was the shit current gen version beta that ran horribly.
the game should be much better than that even with just more content,
so I would like opinions on it.

Seanspeed

Banned
If the SP of BF3 is anything to go by it will be crap by my standards. It is half the game. The game has 2 parts and one of it doesn't stack up. You can also bet that a lot of resources were spent during development to produce a SP campaign which is could have been omitted for a even better MP experience.
This is BF4, not BF3.

And the 'its half the game' thing I talked about. You can look at it that way if you want to, but I think that's a silly way of doing it for reasons I stated. Is Assassin's Creed multiplayer 'half the game'?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love BF to be multiplayer-only, but from a business standpoint, its perfectly understandable why its not. It would not be 'everybody wins'. Look at how many people are dismissing TitanFall because there's no single-player. Its a checklist feature that DICE understand they need to compete.

Polygon failing posting random low scores again. I think IGN's is most accurate, imo.

Ugh. "Polygon", or indeed this particular reviewer, hasn't posted a 'random low score'. There's an entire written review behind that score, which incidentally, is only 0.5 (shocking I know) below most of the other scores.

And why do you think IGN's is most accurate? How long have you spent playing the game (not beta) to come to an equal opinion?

Tacked on MP doesn't seem to be as big a drawback as tacked on SP.

With the amount of spectacle in the singleplayer there must be put a whole lot of resources in there.

And reviewers also seem to be able to ignore the multiplayer easier than the singleplayer.

I really would love a shit ton of more multiplayer content if they would remove the singleplayer.

Tekku

Is it only me by the way or is there a lack of consistency when it comes to judging big multiplayer titles? It's one of the few times when reviewers seem to take the singleplayer into big account.

If you turn it around; do most reviewers give singleplayer games lower scores because they have bad multiplayer components? Not really. It mostly never occurs.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Is there a reason why the gametrailers review doesn't get added to the OP?

Is it only me by the way or is there a lack of consistency when it comes to judging big multiplayer titles? It's one of the few times when reviewers seem to take the singleplayer into big account.

If you turn it around; do most reviewers give singleplayer games lower scores because they have bad multiplayer components? Not really. It mostly never occurs.

That doesn't mean that they should treat poorly executed campaigns the same way. Either write off both cases and focus on the main piece of the product, or take both into account while looking at the overall product (which they should).

But this is again why I hate scores.

Battlefield 4 is an excellent multiplayer game that makes the most of its ambitions, proving once again that destruction is a valuable strategic addition to competitive combat,

yes, more games need to do this!

MogCakes

I enjoyed BF3's MP but the SP experience was....well, I worry for that game's longevity, let's put it at that. It seems the case is the same here. I will still pick this game up eventually either for PC or PS4 because the MP looks awesome, however long it will last. I just hope there's no more infinite circle-looping for dogfights or height wars between choppers. Fucking choppers hovering at high altitude. Fuck them!

Morzak

This is BF4, not BF3.

And the 'its half the game' thing I talked about. You can look at it that way if you want to, but I think that's a silly way of doing it for reasons I stated. Is Assassin's Creed multiplayer 'half the game'?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love BF to be multiplayer-only, but from a business standpoint, its perfectly understandable why its not. It would not be 'everybody wins'. Look at how many people are dismissing TitanFall because there's no single-player. Its a checklist feature that DICE understand they need to compete.

The problem is those 4-5 Hour campaigns, are incredibly expensive, thanks to all the set pieces that have to be designed. That part of the game will have bound a lot of resources and I'm not so sure that they would fare worse without a SP campaign.

And it's fair to drag down the score, you either include a worthwhile campaign, or you focus on multiplayer and provide some bots for training purposes.

Ugh. "Polygon", or indeed this particular reviewer, hasn't posted a 'random low score'. There's an entire written review behind that score, which incidentally, is only 0.5 (shocking I know) below most of the other scores.

And why do you think IGN's is most accurate? How long have you spent playing the game (not beta) to come to an equal opinion?

I just completed the campaign and have about 2 hours in retail MP, and 24 hours in beta. The gameplay is tight, hit detection is on-point, both sound and visuals (PC) are stunning, and I really have almost no complaints as far as MP goes.

As far as single player goes, I thought it was fantastic. Seemed to be more in line with Bad Company 2 than BF3, and the visual presentation is phenomenal (more than MP even). And I actually found myself caring for the characters more than a tiny bit.

I just don't find Polygon's review equating to what boils down as an average score (a C) for this game. But I know it's all subjective. They gave The Last of Us a 7.5 too, and it just makes me kind of shrug in confusion.

SteveWD40

Maybe Dice should just make it a multiplayer game only. The game is getting points knocked off because of the campaign. Really a shame.

It guts me they dropped the SP from BF2: just MP with AI bots, great way to learn maps and practice load-outs.

They shoe-horned the campaign in there to compete with COD sadly.

Somewhere, far away in fun singleplayer land:
30518_normal.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
The problem is those 4-5 Hour campaigns, are incredibly expensive, thanks to all the set pieces that have to be designed. That part of the game will have bound a lot of resources and I'm not so sure that they would fare worse without a SP campaign.

And it's fair to drag down the score, you either include a worthwhile campaign, or you focus on multiplayer and provide some bots for training purposes.
I can almost guarantee it would fare worse without single-player. I would bet a lot of money that DICE have done or seen the research to support this. Tons of people on here alone are saying they have no interest in TitanFall because there's no single-player. And these are enthusiast gamers, not the more casual crowd where there'd be even bigger losses.

As far as it being fair to drag down the score, I've said nothing about that being unfair. I even said in my very first post in the thread that the amount it drags it down largely depends on how much the reviewer 'weighs' the single-player aspect.

Ugh, sounds like a renter's worst nightmare. I don't really want to play the multiplayer, so even though the single-player is average, I'd give it a shot on a rental just because the whole "SHE'S A GIRL!" story looks like something I'd want to see how it plays out. The current-gen versions are visually lacklustre, they won't be renting next-gen versions here, and PC rentals are like the offspring of unicorns and yetis.

Guess I'll end up watching the campaign on YouTube.

Tekku

That doesn't mean that they should treat poorly executed campaigns the same way. Either write off both cases and focus on the main piece of the product, or take both into account while looking at the overall product (which they should).

But this is again why I hate scores.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. There is no real consitency in this regard.

Conor 419

Banned
I think DICE hold no credibility in this industry if they can't put out a decent single player campaign in their Battlefield titles, the IP itself is a joke.

VeeP

I can almost guarantee it would fare worse without single-player. I would bet a lot of money that DICE have done or seen the research to support this. Tons of people on here alone are saying they have no interest in TitanFall because there's no single-player. And these are enthusiast gamers, not the more casual crowd where there'd be even bigger losses.

As far as it being fair to drag down the score, I've said nothing about that being unfair. I even said in my very first post in the thread that the amount it drags it down largely depends on how much the reviewer 'weighs' the single-player aspect.

Does anyone even play BF for the single player?

In some games, developers have said gamers don't even finish the campaign.

Not only that, but like you said it drags down the score. A lot of gamers, hardcore and casuals, do look at ratings. I'm sure if the game came out with at least 16 maps, instead of 10 maps and a mediocre single-player, it would've gotten better reviews.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Polygon failing posting random low scores again. I think IGN's is most accurate, imo. Should be higher but I <3 battlefield ;).

Eh.. Should be higher? Why? Because you love the series or something?

They reviewed the game, they played it for hours on end. Don't you think they are more qualified in giving a final score than you are?

Seanspeed

Banned
If TitanFall is a hit, I think you're going to see DICE pull their campaigns again.
TitanFall is also only made by a relatively small team with less impressive graphics and with the full marketing strength of Microsoft behind them at the moment.

Its an interesting model to watch, but I don't think it'll affect DICE's approach either way. Battlefield is here to dethrone Call of Duty and they need single-player for that.

Mogwai

I think DICE hold no credibility in this industry if they can't put out a decent single player campaign in their Battlefield titles, the IP itself is a joke.

What?

The Battlefield series is about multiplayer. The actual problem is that DICE stuffs in these campaigns that are built on the foundation of zero effort. SP is only to draw some attention at gaming conventions and for people to say "Wow, look at this... OMG!!!111"

I would love to see some great SP content powered byf the Frostbite engine. But the Battlefield series will probably never deliver that.

Seanspeed

Banned
Does anyone even play BF for the single player?

In some games, developers have said gamers don't even finish the campaign.

Not only that, but like you said it drags down the score. A lot of gamers, hardcore and casuals, do look at ratings. I'm sure if the game came out with at least 16 maps, instead of 10 maps and a mediocre single-player, it would've gotten better reviews.
I know reviews do sway a lot of people and they're important, but they're not always the primary factor in a game's sales. Simply the amount of people that would completely dismiss the game if it was a 'multiplayer only' game is large enough. There's a demographic out there that isn't buying these games JUST for the multiplayer that we may not see just talking with other people on NeoGAF.

I mean, I look back at how I got started playing multiplayer FPS's in the first place - CoD4. Granted, that game had a very good single-player, but I wouldn't have gotten it if there was no single-player at all. I got it because I liked Call of Duty and then once I experienced the multiplayer, I became hooked. So the single-player stuff can also be seen as an impetus to get people playing the multiplayer, where the hooks can dig in. In an ever furthering online world, this has the potential to happen more and more.

StuBurns

Banned
TitanFall is also only made by a relatively small team with less impressive graphics and with the full marketing strength of Microsoft behind them at the moment.

Its an interesting model to watch, but I don't think it'll affect DICE's approach either way. Battlefield is here to dethrone Call of Duty and they need single-player for that.
I think you're absolutely right that they include it to compete with CoD, but if TitanFall shows the audience is willing to adopt a pure multiplayer experience, then DICE will be in a position where they can just not bother including it.

We'll see, we really haven't seen a major multiplayer only release at full price. If it's getting a metacritic in the nineties, and I think it will, and if it's a big hit, and I think it will be, I could see DICE follow suit.

Jibbed

Why can't we have the light-heartedness of Bad Company's SP campaigns paired with BF3/4's multiplayer style?

BC2 pretty much nailed that formula and it worked great, merging the two series would keep everyone happy I'm sure.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think you're absolutely right that they include it to compete with CoD, but if TitanFall shows the audience is willing to adopt a pure multiplayer experience, then DICE will be in a position where they can just not bother including it.

We'll see, we really haven't seen a major multiplayer only release at full price. If it's getting a metacritic in the nineties, and I think it will, and if it's a big hit, and I think it will be, I could see DICE follow suit.
Like I said, smaller team, ho-hum graphics and full backing of Microsoft make it a little incomparable to DICE and Battlefield's situation and ambitions.

Even on NeoGAF, people are dismissing TitanFall for not having single-player. It will lose LOTS of sales because of it and only by being a smaller, less technically ambitious team(meaning likely much smaller budget) will they be able to justify that. We'll see.

Conor 419

Banned
What?

The Battlefield series is about multiplayer. The actual problem is that DICE stuffs in these campaigns that are built on the foundation of zero effort. SP is only to draw some attention at gaming conventions and for people to say "Wow, look at this... OMG!!!111"

I would love to see some great SP content powered byf the Frostbite engine. But the Battlefield series will probably never deliver that.

No excuse, CoD repeatedly busts out awesome campaigns.

GetemMa

Why can't we have the light-heartedness of Bad Company's SP campaigns paired with BF3/4's multiplayer style?

BC2 pretty much nailed that formula and it worked great, merging the two series would keep everyone happy I'm sure.

I don't know. BC2 is the best Battlefield game since BF2 and imo it's better than 2.

DICE said they were ultimately "embarrassed" by BC2.

I would love to ask them why. It is easily the best product they've made this gen.

I put 3 times as many hours in BC2 as I have with any of their other games.

DICE doesn't realize that their self seriousness is their weakness. I loved the fact that you could level an entire stage in BC2. The destruction in BF3/4 is more realistic I guess, but also far less fun.

patapuf

I don't know. BC2 is the best Battlefield game since BF2 and imo it's better than 2.

I would love to ask them why. It is easily the best product they've made this gen.

DICE doesn't realize that their self seriousness is their weakness. I loved the fact that you could level an entire stage in BC2. The destruction in BF3/4 is more realistic I guess, but also far less fun.

Having no cover at all within 10 minutes on a 64 player server, with vehicles even more deadly than those in BC2 would make for a horrible experience.

The Destruction in BC 2 worked because of the smaller scale.

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this in (hopefully it won't derail it by any means...i take my junior status pretty seriously smh) but with Rev3 being able to review both BF4 and AC4 on PS4 (4's everywhere), is ut safe to think that the drama from Sessler yesterday was in regard to something else? Or was it simply because they may or may not be able to get final retail hardware? One would assume the PS4 captured stuff was from final hardware right?
idk...just thought it was interesting...someone in the YouTube comments mentioned the same thing and it had me wondering...

Jibbed

Same, BC2 is easily in my top 5 games from this past gen. Probably just falls short of CoD4 but that's saying a lot.

I'm fine with less destructibility the map needs to maintain a certain level of composure to keep things organised and fair. BC2's maps were glorious to play though.. man, I might just reinstall it this weekend.

Xater

If TitanFall is a hit, I think you're going to see DICE pull their campaigns again.

That would be great. DICE apparently can't even reach the quality of COD campaigns and these days that's not a high standard to go for. If only they went back to actually using the strengths of Battlefield for their SP. BC1 and 2 were hardly perfect but still a way more fun SP experience than BF3.

SiRatul

I was expecting a few more higher scores but they seem to have failed at the SP again. I guess it only got the fancy looks going for itself. Wish they just put those ressources on the MP.

Eusis

... They must have fired everyone involved. Or they decided to take their job entirely too seriously, what little I've seen of those games via demos and what I watched would've been far better for a BF campaign than that shit I saw for BF3. At the least they were on the right track gameplay-wise.

Top Bottom