• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 Review Thread

Willectro

Banned
They always do this because the vast majority of reviewers don't get much time to actually play the game and hardly ever bother putting any decent amount of time into any multiplayer aspect and it always shows in the reviews.

Exactly, so basically any reviews thus far are complete bullshit.

Mully

DICE should stick to multiplayer.

It was interesting to see them continue the story after it had ended in BC2 and incorporate the Russian invasion of Alaska through multiplayer.

Bedlam

The single player is in the game and a large part for many gamers (I believe something absurd like 40% of COD players play the SP and never touch the MP). If it sucks and is lazily done then it needs to be called out by reviewers and the score drastically hurt.
Completely agree.

There are gamers who buy these games for the SP. And Dice wants these gamers to give them their money too. It's only fair to consider the SP part of the package and rate the package accordingly.

It's unfortunate but that's how it is. Spec-Ops The Line would've probably received better scores as well without the checkbox-mentality ("we need MP too!"). Even the devs themselves hated the tacked-on MP in that case because they knew it would drag down the overall product.

StuBurns

Banned
Just this gen...
Ass...
COD4
COD W@W
COD MW2(Washington DC stuff)
Bad Company 1
Bad Company 2
COD MW3
COD BO
Medal of Honor

Assish...
Halo ODST
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
Resistance 1

Decent...
Rainbow 6 Vegas
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2

Not played, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess, Ass...
COD BO2
Medal of Honor Warfighter

patapuf

Completely agree.

There are gamers who buy these games for the SP. And Dice wants these gamers to give them their money too. It's only fair to consider the SP part of the package and rate the package accordingly.

It's unfortunate but that's how it is. Spec-Ops The Line would've probably received better scores as well without the checkbox-mentality ("we need MP too!"). Even the devs themselves hated the tacked-on MP in that case because they knew it would drag down the overall product.

SP games get a pass for shitty MP all the time. I'd like to see the scores of big single player franchise like Metroid, Half Life or Bioshock if the MP was weighed as much as the SP in all reviews.

mancan92

Banned
The single player is in the game and a large part for many gamers (I believe something absurd like 40% of COD players play the SP and never touch the MP). If it sucks and is lazily done then it needs to be called out by reviewers and the score drastically hurt.

No way does battlefield have that amount its probably closer to 20%. Anyway my point is if its the other way round they barely mention the multiplayer in single player based games.

ODST pales compared to the other Halo campaigns, I've never understood why so many people love it. Not that I have an issue with those people loving it, just can't see any appeal at all. It's like a b-sides collection.
Story & character wise its my favorite of the series, gameplay wise its right below CE.

I don't like how regular Halo treats the actual interesting characters(Johnson, Miranda,etc)

kiyomi

So are there going to be next-gen specific reviews of the PS4 and X1 versions when they actually come out? From the sounds of it, these reviews were essentially conducted in a controlled environment, right?

Do we know if they were reviewing the next gen versions that Digital Foundry were talking about? ;

First up, a few crucial points on our test methodology. It's worth noting that these captures are taken from Xbox One and PS4 development kits, as used by the game-makers themselves to ensure the game runs within the parameters of the retail hardware released this November. Also, the code is what DICE claims to be in a near-finalised state, where only very minor tweaks will be implemented over and above what we're seeing here.

Or did they have actual retail hardware, with the final code?

Feels weird to be reviewing a game on next-gen systems that is so utterly detached from the current-gen counterparts, before those versions are even out. The PC version is surely the easiest comparison.

Odrion

Banned
You know what? It's fine if reviewers over emphasize the single player. People are still going to buy this game in droves, and maybe the non 90 metacritic score lights a fire under Dice's ass and we get The Bad Company in Battlefield 2143.

Somewhere, far away in fun singleplayer land:
30518_normal.jpg
Oh DICE. What happened to you. You used to be capable of good single player campaigns, this and Mirror's Edge the same year too.

Bedlam

SP games get a pass for shitty MP all the time. I'd like to see the scores of big single player franchise like Metroid, Half Life or Bioshock if the MP was weighed as much as the SP in all reviews.
Did you just call HL's MP shitty? Bioshock 2 got knocked for the MP a little bit I think (it wasn't terrible though). And Spec-Ops really suffered because of the shitty MP.

patapuf

Did you just call HL's MP shitty? Bioshock 2 got knocked for the MP a little bit I think (it wasn't terrible though). And Spec-Ops really suffered because of the shitty MP.

Bioshock 2's MP was nowhere near a 9 though. And yes, i'm not fond of HL Deathmatch.

Still, there's tons of SP games with tacked on MP that barely got a mention.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I still don't know why DICE even bothers with singleplayer. Multiplayer is definitely where its at for Battlefield.
They make SP cuz some folks like it over MP, you cant compete against COD without a SP.

StuBurns

Banned
They make SP cuz some folks like it over MP, you cant compete against COD without a SP.
TitanFall is going to.

If TitanFall becomes the real successor to CoD, and BF missed it's chance after three real chances (yes, I'm counting BF2), their inclusion of campaign is going to look really silly.

NHale

They cover both but cover single player in far more depth than multiplayer, even though single player is its tacted on mode like most single player games with tacted on multiplayer.

There is just such a huge sense from the journalist that they just dont like multiplayer games in general. Very rarely do I hear journalists talk about liking online.

That's because they are always jumping from game to game to review and never have the time to dedicate themselves to playing online. That's also why I will never trust multiplayer reviews, they always miss critical problems.

Also a lot of them are "afraid" of being beaten online against people that play the game 12 hours per day. Don't really understand this way of thinking but a lot of reviewers have shared this sentiment in multiple podcasts in the past.

Top Bottom