• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics finally set to release in NA/EU beginning November 28

Camjo-Z

Anyone else think Gain Ground would be a cool choice for a 3D classic? It was already a pretty good game to start with and the 3D effect would be helpful for gauging the height of those enemies at different altitudes.

Roto13

Anyone else think Gain Ground would be a cool choice for a 3D classic? It was already a pretty good game to start with and the 3D effect would be helpful for gauging the height of those enemies at different altitudes.

Phantasy Star 2/3/4 (Yes I like 3) and Shining Force 1 and 2 pls

Unfortunately, 3/4 overview 2D games don't really work for 3D remasters. It'd look like things were floating above the ground.

AmyS

The 3D effect in Super Hang-On and Galaxy Force II is just utterly AMAZING.

If M2 used the System 24 arcade version as the basis, for sure.

sXp8tgl.jpg

cUAdbJ2.jpg

AmyS

I'd also love to see System 16 arcade Alien Syndrome, as well as System 24 Bonanza Bros and Crack Down all in auto-stereoscopic 3D

GhlrYdo.jpg

5LmtoUX.jpg

SF6u40z.jpg

joesiv

Unfortunately, 3/4 overview 2D games don't really work for 3D remasters. It'd look like things were floating above the ground.
it doesn't work just by adding depth values to the sprites, but if a developer (like M2) were to re-work the engine, they could actually do some neat tricks like offset pixel rows to create a 3d effect of sprites standing up on the ground. They could probably tweak the engine to do it automatically to the non background sprites.

3D Bonanza Bros with co-op (online would be amazing but let's be realistic) would be the shit.
Co-op makes more sense anyway, since quick communication's a big deal with the way multiplayer works in that game.

Gain Ground needs more fans and more recognition. The game's up there with Herzog Zwei and other defining strategy-action games.

mclem

But you're wrong about the 3D in Super Hang-On.
He isn't. I've noticed it now; it's subtle, but he's absolutely correct; the sprites for the other riders aren't quite on the same visual plane as the section of track they're logically currently positioned on. His description made it sound like more of a pop-out, but it's really just a slight mismatch. That said, I'm wondering if it's conscious, to make the immediate threats stand out against the backdrop.

I think I may have misunderstood what Roto was saying. I thought he meant there was no depth data added to the bikes at all, which isn't the case. I noticed the "mismatch" of their position on the road as soon as I first played the game (it makes them kind of appear to be floating above the track in the distance) and had even read it mentioned in a review before playing the game, but I didn't really find it detracting. I don't know if having never played the original in 2D affects how I felt about it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I want Bonanza Bros 3D so bad.

(As long as it's the arcade version)

But I think I would like Herzog Zwei (online) even more.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, if you have no interest in playing the games in 3D, what's the motivation for picking up these releases? Not a troll question or anything, I'm genuinely trying to find an excuse to plunk down the cash. Specifically for Shinobi III and Super Hang-On. Are they the best releases of the games, or what?

CLEEK

They're lovingly made ports, with each game now arguably the de-facto best version available. The emulated cabinets are a great addition. Even in 2D, Super Hang-on is a joy.

Yes Boss!

So, if you have no interest in playing the games in 3D, what's the motivation for picking up these releases? Not a troll question or anything, I'm genuinely trying to find an excuse to plunk down the cash. Specifically for Shinobi III and Super Hang-On. Are they the best releases of the games, or what?

Buy a 2DS and go to town.

Only game that suffers from lack of 3D is Galaxy Force II.

Frankly, I'm surprised you don't already have them. SHAME!

Danny Dudekisser

Buy a 2DS and go to town.

Only game that suffers from lack of 3D is Galaxy Force II.

Frankly, I'm surprised you don't already have them. SHAME!

I know, I know :(

But I guess my hang-up is that, in regards to the Genesis games, like Shinobi III, I already have the Genesis version. With Super Hang-On, I've got it on XBLA and PSN. I don't play my 3DS outside the house, either, so basically, unless there's that something extra in these ports, there's just not much value to it for me. Thus, why I'm wondering if these are really the best versions of the games.

Yes Boss!

But I guess my hang-up is that, in regards to the Genesis games, like Shinobi III, I already have the Genesis version. With Super Hang-On, I've got it on XBLA and PSN. I don't play my 3DS outside the house, either, so basically, unless there's that something extra in these ports, there's just not much value to it for me. Thus, why I'm wondering if these are really the best versions of the games.

Well, if all else fails then just buy them for support and a vote of confidence!

I put these games on a bunch of my systems...even though I've already got all those other ports you also have. Nice to support. The games are only $40 total...

Danny Dudekisser

Well, if all else fails then just buy them for support and a vote of confidence!

I put these games on a bunch of my systems...even though I've already got all those other ports you also have. Nice to support. The games are only $40 total...

Eh, I suppose I'll take a look at Shinobi III first. It's one of my favorite games ever, so I might as well. Reading up on the port a bit, it sounds like they added a couple cool things for people who are super into the game, so that might be kinda interesting. So I guess I'll figure out first-hand how this compares to the original.

And it's fucking M2. I literally feel bad about not supporting their efforts.

Mikhal

Shinobi 3 is my favorite Genesis game and I never even knew there was a 6-button mode till I saw it in the interview! Going to have to attempt a melee-only run when I get the game!

Danny Dudekisser

Shinobi 3 is my favorite Genesis game and I never even knew there was a 6-button mode till I saw it in the interview! Going to have to attempt a melee-only run when I get the game!

I didn't even know you could guard in the game. Tha fuck.

japtor

Gyro control and tilting cab background! I don't bother with the 3D in it cause of that. I think the Hang-On interview mentioned having all the courses (from the different arcade versions) and more options, but I don't know if the other versions got those too.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
we (japan) got Afterburner 2 today

SO PRETTY , though the "shot down and crash into the ground fireballs" look a little too floaty.

Wide screen mode doesn't stretch - just expands the sides so it's seemingly rendering extra :O

Only had 5 minutes with it, so need to have a proper look but - again - :bow M2 :bow

Maybe Ferrari holding their license hostage (or SEGA being unwilling to pay up) will lead to us getting a GLORIOUS port of Outrunners!

It'd be so amazing that even after being satisfied my heart would yearn for them to port it to every console/handheld/device in existence.

we (japan) got Afterburner 2 today

SO PRETTY , though the "shot down and crash into the ground fireballs" look a little too floaty.

Wide screen mode doesn't stretch - just expands the sides so it's seemingly rendering extra :O

Only had 5 minutes with it, so need to have a proper look but - again - :bow M2 :bow
OMG I wants it bad.

there is one game ideally suited to this series : POWER DRIFT.
This would be awesome.

There sure are a lot of requests for racers!
I'm happy with the variety in genre thus far and actually hope we only get one racer in the next batch, which would be Outrun of course.

Danny Dudekisser

Maybe Ferrari holding their license hostage (or SEGA being unwilling to pay up) will lead to us getting a GLORIOUS port of Outrunners!

I hope so. I'd really like to see some games that never got decent home releases or any home release at all come to this. Specifically:

Outrunners
Shadow Dancer
Revenge of Death Adder

Anyway, poring over those M2 interviews Sega had on their blog has really boosted my interest. I can't believe how much effort has gone into making these releases worthwhile. $5.99 seems like a steal.

Anyway, poring over those M2 interviews Sega had on their blog has really boosted my interest. I can't believe how much effort has gone into making these releases worthwhile. $5.99 seems like a steal.

My thoughts exactly, especially compared to the prices of many "rom dumps" on the eShop.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Exactly what had motivated me to get them all.

Heart that M2.

Danny Dudekisser

Too bad Sega threw the source code to all of their Saturn games in the trash. Then set it on fire. Then launched it into outer space.

Did they lose the code for all of their Saturn games? I know the one that I hear about the most is the Panzer Dragoon series, but I haven't heard much of anything about the rest of their Saturn games...

Well anyway, if you're looking for a better game that also has some sort of foreground/background interaction, Shadow Dancer arcade is totally tha shit.

ghibli99

Super Hang-On is like crack. I'm really enjoying the speed and challenge of that game.

I feel like these games are being undermined by the simple "3D" in their titles... if I hadn't read this thread and the Siliconera interviews, I would have easily just passed up on the Genesis games thinking they were just quick ports. The amount of work that went into these sounds insane, and there isn't much in the eShop descriptions that say much about them either. Maybe they list one extra feature of something, like the spin dash for Sonic. I know they can't go into great detail, but a little more would be nice. I don't think the screenshots or videos are in 3D either, so you can't see the effects before you buy... nor do they show any of the cool options.

Slermy

I want Bonanza Bros 3D so bad.

(As long as it's the arcade version)

But I think I would like Herzog Zwei (online) even more.

I would be money Bonanza Bros. is going to be an upcomming 3D title. I'd guess it'd be the home console version though.

Too bad Sega threw the source code to all of their Saturn games in the trash. Then set it on fire. Then launched it into outer space.
We don't which games they've lost the original files for, except the usual suspects like PDS. I think they still have the source code for the old Virtua Fighters, for example.

Super Hang-On is like crack. I'm really enjoying the speed and challenge of that game.

I feel like these games are being undermined by the simple "3D" in their titles... if I hadn't read this thread and the Siliconera interviews, I would have easily just passed up on the Genesis games thinking they were just quick ports. The amount of work that went into these sounds insane, and there isn't much in the eShop descriptions that say much about them either. Maybe they list one extra feature of something, like the spin dash for Sonic. I know they can't go into great detail, but a little more would be nice. I don't think the screenshots or videos are in 3D either, so you can't see the effects before you buy... nor do they show any of the cool options.

Yeah their marketing is terrible... I mean not even 3D videos, makes me want to facepalm

steveovig

Yeah their marketing is terrible... I mean not even 3D videos, makes me want to facepalm

I agree. I don't have any of the games yet but I wanted to get a small taste of the 3D in Sonic and to my dismay, the video was just 2D static gameplay. What's the point since I've played Sonic regularly a million times?

rjc571

Banned

Japanese companies seem to hate using 3D as a marketing tool for whatever reason. There's next to no 3D content on the Japanese eShop. Most games don't even have 3D images, let alone trailers.

Top Bottom