• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics finally set to release in NA/EU beginning November 28

Is there any way to play Sonic with the CRT filter but without the dramatic screen curvature?

No. But turning off or reducing 3D makes less a little less curvy.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed playing the game with that mode, I wish it was included for other Mega Drive ports. But yeah the distortion is a excessive.

AmyS

My pack-in was Sonic, you guys got coned.

LOL.

The Sonic cart was not even packed in with Genesis until the second half of 1991, maybe not until late Q3 or Q4.

Mega Drive launched in Japan October 1988, Genesis launched in the United States, nationwide, September 1989.

Mega Drive in Japan was just over 2 and 1/2 years old by the time Sonic The Hedgehog first got released in the middle of '91, in June.

Altered Beast pack-in was for us early-adopters.

Sonic pack-in was for when Genesis went mainstream.

Oh you mainstream gamers you.

Ya just don't know what it was like around the time of Sega's New Beginning

ZwrfAsH.jpg

;)

Apenheul

Space Harrier 3D in-cabinet view with full 3D on and headphones makes me super nostalgic. I already own some of these games on Mega Drive but strangely enough the 3DS version feels more 'authentic' somehow.

LOL.

The Sonic cart was not even packed in with Genesis until the second half of 1991, maybe not until late Q3 or Q4.

Mega Drive launched in Japan October 1988, Genesis launched in the United States, nationwide, September 1989.

Mega Drive in Japan was just over 2 and 1/2 years old by the time Sonic The Hedgehog first got released in the middle of '91, in June.

Altered Beast pack-in was for us early-adopters.

Sonic pack-in was for when Genesis went mainstream.

Oh you mainstream gamers you.

ZwrfAsH.jpg

;)

Alright, you guys win... but in my defense, I live in a small poor country in the Middle East, not the First World :p

:(

AmyS

Alright, you guys win... but in my defense, I live in the Middle East, not the First World :p

:(

Well, even though I was born in, militarily, the most powerful nation on earth and when I was growin' up during the Reagan era near the end of the Cold War with the Soviet Union, my family would've been considered lower-middle class.

By late '89 my parents were living paycheck to paycheck after my dad had been out of work for like two years. I did not actually have Genesis until sometime in 1990, after launch, tho still before Genesis truly hit paydirt and 'primetime'.

Arghh sorry, I know that almost sounds like I'm rubbing it in since we would've been considered wealthy compared to people living in the 2nd and 3rd worlds, but I'm not trying to...

Ty4on

Any one else having VERY slight audio issues with Sonic? Like sound cutting off only a tiny bit for a little bit when things break or something?

The Genesis had only five FM audio channels (six if the game didn't use samples which all Sonic games did) and they could only play one sound at a time. I think looking at this version of Spring Yard Zone that the third channel was probably used a lot for audio effects, but I haven't studied a lot of Sonic 1 music. They probably emulated the sound chip instead of recreating everything.
dPUa6tt.gif

Green channels are from the Master System sound chip. Usually two square wave (NES-like leads) and a noise channel (used to aid percussion).

Slermy

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around how Galaxy Force II can be as good as you guys are saying! So far, I've only played Sonic of the 3D collection... and I absolutely adored it. I completely understand how the 3D and tech for GF II might be amazing, but is the gameplay really that solid? I hate shmups, but LOVE Star Fox. From the very few brief video clips I've seen of this, I can't tell which category it falls more into. Space Harrier and Super Hang On (and hell, even Altered Beast on a conceptual level) all interest me more than GF II, but some of these comments are swinging me towards the "I should download it right freaking now" camp :p

You shoul download it right freaking now. If you love Star Fox, you'll love this.

stuminus3

Banned
Hey! My love for Sega started with Turbo (a defining childhood moment for me) so I know exactly what it was like!

Looking at the NPD software top 10 after playing so much Space Harrier and GFII this month makes me feel kinda sad and old. Sad for other people, that is. Not for me. I'm playing Space Harrier and GFII.

Picked up Super Hang On, Space Harrier, Sonic, and Galaxy Force 2. Almost got Altered Beast but realized Warioland 3 would probably be a better value so I got that. Never did like Ecco much so I didn't even think about it.

Never played GF 2 or Super Hang On before this release and am loving the hell out of them. The 3D effect in GF 2 is truly awe-inspiring. Everything about these feels like a labor of love. Can't wait to buy more. Even Altered Beast.

Oh hell yes! I totally forgot about the arcade version of SMGP. The Genesis version was the first racer I ever bought, actually!

That game on the eShop would be fantastic. It was bundled with my MegaDrive II, in a 6-in-1 cartridge. I think it had a football game, Columns, Alien Storm, Super Hang-on, SMGP and Thunder-something, with helicopters.

SMGP was kind of frustrating for me, because I didn't understand English and everytime I was prompted to upgrade or switch teams, there was the chance that I was choosing to retire instead. So many confusing "Game over" screens...

kunonabi

Picked up Super Hang-On, Space Harrier, and Galaxy Force 2. I would have picked up Sonic but I spent the rest of my card on Ace Attorney....the 3DS is such a boss.

AmyS

Oh hell yes! I totally forgot about the arcade version of SMGP. The Genesis version was the first racer I ever bought, actually!

Well I never forgot.

Played it at Six Flags Great America near the end of Aug. 1990 right before school started up again. Already had Genesis by that point, and actually, it was around the time Genesis SMGP reached U.S. stores along with ABII.

Found some real footage that's not Mame/Emu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnaPL48ADak

The sit-down, sit-inside cab I played had this magnifying lens window-thing that made the small CRT' monitor appear larger than it was.

Sega did all kinds of little cool shit like that with their various arcade cabs.

OnPoint

The Genesis had only five FM audio channels (six if the game didn't use samples which all Sonic games did) and they could only play one sound at a time. I think looking at this version of Spring Yard Zone that the third channel was probably used a lot for audio effects, but I haven't studied a lot of Sonic 1 music. They probably emulated the sound chip instead of recreating everything.
dPUa6tt.gif

Green channels are from the Master System sound chip. Usually two square wave (NES-like leads) and a noise channel (used to aid percussion).

Where is this GIF From?

Nekobo

I picked up Sonic, Galaxy Force II, and Space Harrier. Thinking about getting Ecco...how's the 3D for the game?

I picked up Sonic, Galaxy Force II, and Space Harrier. Thinking about getting Ecco...how's the 3D for the game?

Yeah I'm curious how it compares to the 3D in Sonic (they said they got more out of the "GigaDrive" with each consecutive port).

I have enough eShop balance to buy them all now, but I want to go through them one by one, so that I'm not tempted to abandon playing ones in favor of others, and also to witness the technical progression gradually between the arcade games.

So I started with Super Hang-On, when I'm done with it I'll download Super Harrier, then GFII. I'll probably pick up Ecco and Shinobi in between those.

AmyS

Know what, I recall back in those days reading EGM's all-Sega magazine, Mega Play.
UA0fGD7.jpg

Galaxy Force was coming to Mega Drive with, get this, 3-D effects the Master System could not handle. Galaxy Force would be ready for the U.S. market in time to help Sega take on SUPER NINTENDO.

.........However the tiny little disclaimer text at the bottom said 'Arcade version shown for illustration purposes'

Managed to find it

zwstZdE.jpg

Well Ha!

That dream has finally fuckin' become reality--Only took like a quarter fucking century, 'lil something called parallax barrier technology, and Nintendo's platform to do it all on.

fuck yeah.

But...

.....Ohhh man, the irony ya know?

Yuterald

Bought Galaxy Force II last night. Played a level until I get a GameOver, lol! Never played this before until the other night. Looks really cool, amazing 3D and all that jazz.

CANNOT WAIT for Shinobi III to drop. Fav Shinobi game and one of my favorite Genesis games of all time. Going to replay that SO HARD.

That's not the order they were released in. :p

I was merely talking about Super Hang-On, Space Harrier, and Galaxy Force II, and I wasn't referring to their chronological order of release (what's the order anyway? I'm curious), but rather the visual complexity/"wow factor" of their graphics, which I think is in that order.

That said, I'm loving Super Hang-On... Yes the game is kicking my ass, but I absolutely love how it looks, handles, and sounds. I love the bike and bikers designs and the solid vivid and pastel colors used. I find this more beautiful than say the launch title Ridge Racer 3D, or even Mario Kart 7.

Now onto another topic:

Just gave Sonic 1 a burst. Looks amazing. But I don't know how to play Sonic games. True story.

Hold down the right button. Press A when you see an obstacle.

That's about it.

I'd like to chime in here and disagree that "holding right, and pressing A when you see an obstacle" is the correct or only way to play Sonic, especially the first Sonic.

Here's an excerpt from Nintendo Life's review of 3D Sonic:

Nintendo Life said:
it strikes us as an urban myth that Sonic the Hedgehog is a fast game — the Sega PR machine did its job. The franchise would move that way from its next entry onwards, with dizzying tubes and some levels that encouraged short spells of reckless abandon. This first title has brief flashes of that approach, but is actually a fairly steady, circumspect platformer when played with rose-tinted specs dutifully removed. It's solidly constructed and there are moments where the designers allowed themselves to flirt with bursts of speed, but on the whole this is a title that tested the waters while, in the process, placed great care in its environments and outstanding soundtrack.

I've always looked at clearing the stages in Sonic (much as I do in Mario) as a balance between Time Bonus and Ring Bonus (or Time Vs Coins in classic Mario). If you clear the level as fast as you can, then you'll get a lot of points for time, but you'll miss out on a ton of rings and power ups. While if you go through the levels slowly trying to collect everything, you'll score massive on the rings but lose out on time. I guess ideally you'd want to strike an optimal balance between the two.

Also, you always want to have at least 50 rings before you clear an act in order to access the bonus stage, which won't always be feasible if you blast through levels in the shortest possible path.

AmyS

3D Super Hang-On is incredible as well.

It D-eeestroys MD/Genesis, X68000 and Sega Arcade Gallery GBA versions.

Yes Boss!

3D Super Hang-On is incredible as well.

Best title of the bunch!

And if you have the honor to play this one on a 2DS it is all the better. Mapping the turbo to that big-fat trigger is bliss. BLISS!

Closest racer I've ever felt got near to the SNES F-Zero. Sublime.

(That Genesis version is junk. The XBLA/PSN is a close second to 3DS version, though)

AmyS

Best title of the bunch!

(That Genesis version is junk. The XBLA/PSN is a close second to 3DS version, though)

GBA version wasn't bad.

Either was the X68000 rendition

3DS is easily the best and still my favorite of the 3D Classics so far, with Galaxy Force II very close behind.

My forever favorite video game of all times though, is coming to Japanese eShop in 3D very soon: After Burner II.

It also has a very great port on Wii VC...if one prefers those controllers.

For me 3D trumps all. It makes a game SO MUCH better looking and feeling that the thought of playing a game in 2D when I can play it in 3D is blasphemous. I frequently turn off the 3D on any game just momentarily to remind myself of how inferior it looks before I crack it back up into blissfully crisp 3D.

I know that many people don't hold that opinion and find 3D anywhere from gimicky, trivial, or "just nice I guess", and apparently you're one of those people since you're playing these 3D Classics on the 2DS :p

Yes Boss!

I know that many people don't hold that opinion and find 3D anywhere from gimicky, trivial, or "just nice I guess", and apparently you're one of those people since you're playing these 3D Classics on the 2DS :p

Oh no!

I'm a 3DS freak and play all my games in 3D. All the time.

But I did that with these titles on my japanese 3DS earlier in the year. Just now enjoying them on the 2DS for a different spin. And, they were never 3D to begin with, so there is that.

But, yeah, way more impressive in 3D. Now, about wearing glasses to view them on an HDTV. No, I'll have none of that. None of that, at all.

Oh no!

I'm a 3DS freak and play all my games in 3D. All the time.

Good to know!

But I did that with these titles on my japanese 3DS earlier in the year. Just now enjoying them on the 2DS for a different spin. And, they were never 3D to begin with, so there is that.

Well yeah, but they are 3D remakes. That's one of the biggest draws for playing them again for those who played them previously... but since you've already done that, and you have a bunch of 2DS's laying around, then sure suit yourself :)

But, yeah, way more impressive in 3D. Now, about wearing glasses to view them on an HDTV. No, I'll have none of that. None of that, at all.

I have the Sony HMZ-T1, that's where I'd play PS3 Super Hang-On in 3D if I get it. Cross-talk free, OLED in-your-face 3D. I wonder if it runs in 60fps in 3D on PS3.

I still prefer the auto-stereoscopic 3D on 3DS over the HMZ... it's less immersive and much smaller in size, but I find it much easier on my eyes.

Also taking a bathroom break while playing on the HMZ means putting the game on hold, and probably turning off the system since I'd want to take a break from the face-hugger before bracing myself into it again. While with the 3DS I'd just carry it around with me and continue playing while I do my business on the throne. I never want Nintendo to stop making auto-stereoscopic 3D handhelds going forward, and I hope Sony follows suit. No 3D in Vita was a deal breaker for me.

rjc571

Banned
Good to know!

Well yeah, but they are 3D remakes. That's one of the biggest draws for playing them again for those who played them previously... but since you've already done that, and you have a bunch of 2DS's laying around, then sure suit yourself :)

I have the Sony HMZ-T1, that's where I'd play PS3 Super Hang-On in 3D if I get it. Cross-talk free, OLED in-your-face 3D. I wonder if it runs in 60fps in 3D on PS3.

I thought PS3 and PS4 games are limited to 30 fps in 3D.

NintendoLife GFII review. It's fine up until the part where the reviewer basically says the game's unfair, which it isn't (he's also trying to say that all of SEGA's Super-Scalar games were done to maximize coin-feeding, which OutRun disproves). And since there's a justifiable way to play with extra energy (focusing on learning stages one-by-one and breaking record scores)...

Can't wait for you to review this, Roto! I've gotten much better at the second stage now, but the third's as labyrinthine as its awesome tune.

Top Bottom