• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac files trademark (service mark) for "Cloudless"

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On the 30th of October, Insomniac Games filed a trademark for "Cloudless", and the application entered the Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System (TRAM) of USPTO on the 2nd of November.

Word Mark CLOUDLESS
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Interactive video game programs
IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing online video games

Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 86106262
Filing Date October 30, 2013
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Insomniac Games, Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA Suite 550 2255 N. Ontario Street Burbank CALIFORNIA 91504
Attorney of Record Stephen Rubin
Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86106262&docId=FTK20131102074417#docIndex=1&page=1

Note that it's a service mark, which the USPTO has this to say about:

What is a service mark?

A service mark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination thereof, that identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than goods. The term “trademark” is often used to refer to both trademarks and service marks.
I searched thoroughly for anything about this, but found nothing. Could it be something related to Sunset Overdrive maybe?

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I wouldn't read anything into the service mark thing—that's how all their other trademarks are registered.

I knew what the first couple of posts would be, and I was disappointingly correct.

Interesting that this is a 'service mark' - what does that mean exactly? EDIT: Well, it says exactly what it is in the OP, if I'd cared to read that instead of the first couple of replies.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Ratchet and Clank Future: Make it Rain

RYeFns0.gif

Skyzard

Banned
Is this like registering a marketing phrase? I... would hope they use it sarcastically? Can they even..

Is it something in their pockets for Sony to buy, if online-only really backfires down the line or something? Sounds a bit weak.

Is it likely to even be allowed?

..sunset overdrive issues?

Poor insomniacs. The ones I've met are super cool and insanely talented, but it seems like there is a lot of mismanagement and sudden project changes happening that keep screwing them up (EA's doing probably).

I know they were working on a game that they were all insanely excited about and it was their baby, but then a game was announced that was near identical to it -- so they had to change it so much that they just ended up canceling it. Can't catch a break over there...

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wrench & Plank Future: Cloudless on Planet 720

V_Ben

Banned
Poor insomniacs. The ones I've met are super cool and insanely talented, but it seems like there is a lot of mismanagement and sudden project changes happening that keep screwing them up (EA's doing probably).

I know they were working on a game that they were all insanely excited about and it was their baby, but then a game was announced that was near identical to it -- so they had to change it so much that they just ended up canceling it. Can't catch a break over there...

Huh, and I thought Girl With A Stick was their only cancelled game. Poor folks.

BraXzy

I'm guessing this is just their comical take on the online situation. Similar to the "Offline Mode Enabled" seen on the back of CoD: Ghosts.

Top Bottom