• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What reliable but predictable developer should try something different?

eshwaaz

With companies like Criterion and Neversoft branching out from their expected franchises to take a shot at the FPS genre, what other talented but "type-cast" developers would you like to see try something different?

Some of my choices:

Visual Concepts
Sports, sports, sports. I'd love to see VC take another shot at an all-out action game like One. It was definitely flawed, but there was huge potential there.

Insomniac
At this point, you've pretty much got the platformer genre down to a science. Disruptor was a solid FPS, but that was over seven years ago. What else have you got?

id Software
They've more or less created and mastered a genre. It's time for a new perspective.

epmode

i can't belive that you didn't list nintendo. while there are signs of hope (donkey konga,) nintendo has been in a rut for a long time. won't keep me from buying paper mario 2, though.)

Prine

Banned
Bungie

MAybe try some sort of 3 rd person adventure (forget Oni), they employ some amazing artist, i'd love to see what tyoe of worlds they can create.

Bigfoot

epmode said:
i can't belive that you didn't list nintendo. while there are signs of hope (donkey konga,) nintendo has been in a rut for a long time. won't keep me from buying paper mario 2, though.)
Ah no! Pikmin, Wario Ware, SMS, Celda, and Animal Crossing don't agree with you.

belgurdo

Banned
Shocked that no one has said Capcom. One Viewtiful Joe or niche game every six months does not make up for releasing a Megaman or game modeled after RE every 10 seconds

epmode said:

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat shoots this entire argument into smitherenes. Conga platforming is the way of the future!

I agree. Diablo and *Craft are fantastic and all, but these guys should try something new. I guess they are with World of Warcraft, doing an MMORPG. That's something different, but they should do something totally different like a third person action game or a really good RPG influenced first person adventure.

Also, StarCraft: Ghost is excluded from this argument because it's being made by Swingin' Ape.

SKluck

Banned
id Software
They've more or less created and mastered a genre. It's time for a new perspective
They've tried, but have always been forced elsewhere. At one point a lot of the guys wanted to make a racing game but were pretty much told to do Doom 3. It's been a source of great turmoil over there.

cja

Retro Studios. The potential is there but are the development staff too stuck in their first person ways? Considering they proved many critics wrong with Metroid Prime its surely worth a shot in a different genre altogether.

KCET's Winning Eleven team, it would be nice to see if they could translate their soccer prowess to another sport or make a soccer spin-off, ala EA's Street series.

Neversoft. Thankfully they are splitting development resourses and working on an original title. Spiderman on PS1 showed the potential they have outside of 720s and baggy pants.

Archer Maclean has done enough pool/snooker games in the last decade, it'd be nice to see a return to genres he excelled at in the eighties. Fighters (IK+) and shooters (Dropzone).

ge-man

cja said:
Retro Studios. The potential is there but are the development staff too stuck in their first person ways? Considering they proved many critics wrong with Metroid Prime its surely worth a shot in a different genre altogether.

I'm worried that Retro may become nothing more than the Metroid team. I hope I'm proven wrong.

I wouldn't have thought of them myself, but Blizzard is a great choice. Not that what they're doing now is bad, mind you! It would be great to see them take a chance on something different.

Sonic Team is another good choice. Billy Hatcher wasn't great by any means, but it was still better than the 3D Sonic bilge they've been putting out. Everyone's down on them now, but Chu Chu, PSO and Samba were great games on Dreamcast...hell, I still hook up my maracas frequently. Maybe the talent really is gone, but I'd love to get another great original game from them.

Rockstar North. Well, Manhunt kinda sucked, but Space Station Silicon Valley ruled. With GTA being such a huge success, it's obvious they're going to be another Polyphony, where we're lucky to get one game per generation that isn't a part of their big franchise.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I'd like to see id or Valve create something other than an FPS, yeah. They've both clearly mastered graphics, if they could apply that to a raw, action/adventure game it'd probably be very, very impressive.

----

Banned
I'd like to see Bungie make a kart racer with all of the Halo characters.

Imagine the cute little Grunts in their racing karts and the hulking monkey-like Brutes sitting uncomfortably in their diminutive karts. 343 Guilty Spark flys out at the beginning of each race and starts the race by flashing his eye red yellow green. And when you fall off the track Guilty Spark fishes you out and pulls you back on. :D

Rhindle

Pretty much every Japanese third-party.

They should try making like, you know, a modern game. With stuff like a full 3D engine, controllable camera, usable controls and a coherent story line.

epmode said:

umm. so they're not doing something different with DS?

JAPANESE 3rd party?

Japanese developers do try different things - thing is you WILL NEVER see most of these stuff in the west. For eg; I love the densha bus driving games but ....

neptunes

Polyphony...they did make that shooter Omega boost.

even if it's just one game, put all that deatail they put into GT into something different.

jarrod

Banned
belgurdo said:
Shocked that no one has said Capcom. One Viewtiful Joe or niche game every six months does not make up for releasing a Megaman or game modeled after RE every 10 seconds
Actually Capcom's been branching out quite a bit this gen... it's far from just MegaMan platformers, survival horror and 2D fighters (which was essentially all they did in the 32bit days). Look at Dragon Quarter, auto modellista, Monster Hunter, Under the Skin, Viewtiful Joe, PN03, Steel Batallion, Pro Cast Fishing, Spawn, Killer 7, Shadow of Rome, Devil May Cry, Gyakuten Saiban, Yuushun Rhapsody, Ookami, Chaos Legion, Disney Golf, Disney Hide & Sneak, Catan, Gregory Horror Show, MegaMan Battle Network, PowerStone, Maximo, CannonSpike, El Dorado Gate, Zeta Gundam, Gaia Master, Gotcha Force and so on... Capcom hasn't been this diverse since the NES/Famicom days imo.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Not so much branching out...but I'd love to see Snowblind take their BGDA engine and use it for a more "traditional" RPG experience. Party management, deeper skill trees, extensive dialogue trees, etc., etc.

Of course, others seem to do be doing this for them (Xmen Legends, The Bard's Tale) to some extent.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Rhindle said:
Pretty much every Japanese third-party.

They should try making like, you know, a modern game. With stuff like a full 3D engine, controllable camera, usable controls and a coherent story line.

What planet have you been living on? You basically described Super MArio 64.

edit: didnt notice the 3rd party...

hmm maybe you have a point :p

ge-man said:
I'm worried that Retro may become nothing more than the Metroid team. I hope I'm proven wrong.

I don't think it will happen as long as the company can only support one team. In failing to work out without Nintendo buying the company outright, it will probably take a couple of strong successes before they can build up enough trust to form a second game team.

Even if that happens, the best way to convince Nintendo that supporting a second Retro team is a good idea involves remaking another Nintendo franchise.

Top Bottom