• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2k14 Next-Gen is Always Online and other messed up business decisions

Mik317

2k seemingly has pulled a fast one on us.

The next gen version of NBA 2k14 is basically always online (or at least partially). For one, your saves, rosters,and the NBA Today features are all unaccessible if their servers are down. And since thease are 2ks patented Dreamcast Servers, this will happen a lot.

Not only that but the day 1 patch actually takes away features such as the ability to save your roster without having to upload it to their server (this feature does come back when their servers are dead).

Also their single player MyGM mode is pay to win as simple tasks like setting you lineups requires VC (their virtual currency). This is less of an issue since it can be earned via the game but still worth mentioning.

These issues (along with some smaller things like them taking away CAP and some other editing options) try to ruin what is a great playing game. I have tried to contact various 2k dudes but of course they do not respond to anything that isn't slurping them off. I made this thread so that people who haven't bought the game know and so they don;t get blindsided by things and that people who are higher up than I can try to get answers fro 2K.

Note: The game is playable offline but you lose out on a ton of features and maybe won't even be able to save your stuff and if you are you won't be able to access it when the servers go back up. I have a roster I created when PSN was down and I a only able to access it when the servers are dead.

Courage

That's so messed up. Why would they attempt something like this after the backlash back in June?

It's a shame because the game plays beautifully.

Nibel

And here I was sitting and thinking that I might try another basketball game after all these years, and now I learn that I can't save progress (!) offline? I need my PC to be on to have my consoles online which costs a lot of energy, so that's a huge bummer for me to read

Seems to me that they didn't have a chance to work on anything but the gameplay. Launch sports titles almost always sucks but at least this one is pretty to look at.

Varth

A couple of those seem like launch rush and misjudgement on their side rather than malice. What's their track record on patching issues? I remember people being pretty upset with previous installments on PS3/360.

Jesus Christ. Personally don't have the best track record with 2K servers so this is troubling.

I hated 2K13 as it was because of how you couldn't turn auto-save off while in Association mode. This seems to be taking it to the next level. I was so jelly of the next gen version of 2K14, but this has really soured me on it tbh.

Why would they do this? How does it benefit them? Piracy doesn't exist already does it?

Especially fucked up that they didn't mention this anywhere, like, on the box for instance. Actually, does it say anything on the box?
How is it a good idea to cover this up? They thought people wouldn't notice? They thought stink wasn't gonna get made? My mind is full of fuck?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Damn I was just thinking about looking into this game. Oh well, good I did

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
A couple of those seem like launch rush and misjudgement on their side rather than malice. What's their track record on patching issues? I remember people being pretty upset with previous installments on PS3/360.

What? If this OP is true, they took out features with their patch.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This is one of the reasons I'm getting NBA Live instead. Follow me to the promised land, fellas. Redemption is upon us!

So always online or NBA Live?
iby3m1SzB88E7U.png

Think I might have to stick with FIFA for my sports gaming needs until The Show hits next year.

EDarkness

This kind of stuff is why I didn't pick this up for the Wii U last year. So many people were having problems with their profiles and their patches didn't seem to fix it. So I avoided it. Seems it's just a common thing for them. It's a shame.

Yep, I made a thread last night on this too. The patch also took down CPU vs. CPU or User vs User matches in Season or My GM mode. Very disappointing. I may either trade in the game or just reinstall and delete the patch. Bad stuff 2K.

This is one of the reasons I'm getting NBA Live instead. Follow me to the promised land, fellas. Redemption is upon us!

Yea, I don't think anyone is crazy enough to jump off that bridge. :)

This really doesn't change my view on picking up NBA 2K14. It's one of my must have games. I can't very well pass on it.

This is an insanely big deal, because when a new 2k comes out they are super quick to shut down servers for past iteration.

They have a monopoly on the market and seek to control it in every single way. Now we gotta revolt, just can't enjoy shit lol.

2k seemingly has pulled a fast one on us.

The next gen version of NBA 2k14 is basically always online (or at least partially). For one, your saves, rosters,and the NBA Today features are all unaccessible if their servers are down. And since thease are 2ks patented Dreamcast Servers, this will happen a lot.

Not only that but the day 1 patch actually takes away features such as the ability to save your roster without having to upload it to their server (this feature does come back when their servers are dead).

Also their single player MyGM mode is pay to win as simple tasks like setting you lineups requires VC (their virtual currency). This is less of an issue since it can be earned via the game but still worth mentioning.

These issues (along with some smaller things like them taking away CAP and some other editing options) try to ruin what is a great playing game. I have tried to contact various 2k dudes but of course they do not respond to anything that isn't slurping them off. I made this thread so that people who haven't bought the game know and so they don;t get blindsided by things and that people who are higher up than I can try to get answers fro 2K.

Note: The game is playable offline but you lose out on a ton of features and maybe won't even be able to save your stuff and if you are you won't be able to access it when the servers go back up. I have a roster I created when PSN was down and I a only able to access it when the servers are dead.

About setting lineups in MyGM Mode. Don't you have to "level up" your GM. I thought to set lineups and stuff it said you had to be Level 3 or something, not have a certain amount of coins. I will check that later. If it is the coins, you get them for doing everything. Just look at them as XP. Maybe the word "coins" is bothering you. It is not like they ask you to pay real money for VC's. I would try to look at it more as leveling up. I am going to look into the coins thing here in a minute.

EDIT - It appears you have to be Level 1 Coaching Attribute to change your Rotations in MY GM. To get level 1 coaching attribute, you have to purchase it with your VCs as you said, you were right. However, that costed like 500 coins, and I already have a couple of thousand.

I did play a game online last night and I was floored with how buttery smooth it was. The game had no lag and played just like playing offline. The person I was playing did live in the same city as me, but it was amazing how well it played.

It's still a great game, but these are definitely frustrating aspects of it. I haven't gotten into MYGM yet, but it's very disappointing to see you need VC just to edit your rotation. It's one thing when a F2P game tries to milk money out of people with micro-transactions, it's ridiculous when a $60 game tries to do it. I also find it frustrating that there is no CAP option and couch co-op isn't available in the MYGM mode.

Strider

Wow you can only save games to their servers?! That's awful. I hated how the cloud saves worked in 2k13. Amazing that a game known for being terrible online is now forcing it on you.

I was considering picking it up but I'm not anymore. Thanks for posting bc that would have been an unpleasant surprise.

Yep, I made a thread last night on this too. The patch also took down CPU vs. CPU or User vs User matches in Season or My GM mode. Very disappointing. I may either trade in the game or just reinstall and delete the patch. Bad stuff 2K.
2k is getting cocky. They've let their success get to their heads and are now in the "let's fuck over our customers because we're #1 so whatevs" mode. It's the perfect time for EA & Live to strike. You've been warned... Winter is com-- wait, that line wouldn't make sense in this context.

Baby Milo

yeah i can't believe some of the cuts

all i remember was them talking about not regressing going into next-gen. Micro transactions in franchise mode is terrible.

jwhit28

This is the way it has been the last couple of years. VC is tied to online connected saves. Of course in the PS3 games you can choose to play offline and sacrifice earning VC. Is this option not available in the PS4 version?

Jalen

Neo Member
They made it so that you have to connect to the server to earn and use VC because people were modifying their save files to have unlimited VC.

PBY

Banned
I never understand complaints about micro-transactions. Just don't buy them. Problem solved.
i used to feel the same way- except after playing 2k. They structured the economy to make it suuuuper grindy, they wanna encourage microtransactions.

bigace33

This is truly an amazing game, but the awful, awful menu set up makes me almost hate it. This has to be the worst menu system I have seen in a game. It's so bad that I have to dock them a full point from what would easily be an 8.5 out of 10. It is now a 7.5.

This has always been so since 2K12 no? It's a woeful state of affairs indeed and I've had my gripes with 2K since the introduction of the shambles that is VC (shedding out money for an animation is waaaay too much like holding the true game to ransom IYAM) ...
but ya gotta get dat 2K fix despite all o' this

NBA2K's online is a broken mess? I AM SHOCKED! UTTERLY SHOCKED!

It's alright though, I hear they are rebooting the server tonight. Should smooth things out

I wouldn't call it that at all. I think most of the complaints are from using VCs to purchase upgrades within your MYGM. Of course, you earn VCs for everything you do. So you can earn them pretty quick.

Also, online a broken mess? I played an online game last night against a friend and it was silky smooth with no lag. It played amazing. We talked about how good it was running the entire game.

I never understand complaints about micro-transactions. Just don't buy them. Problem solved.

The problem is you need their currency to do some of the most basic things, even after giving them $60. If it was just special shoes or jerseys, I wouldn't care too much, but it's stuff you do on a regular basis to play the game.

Strider

Sure. But needing virtual currency to do simple stuff like edit your lineup in an offline game mode is taking it way too far.

The economy in 2k13 was shit and in 2k14 it's sounding even worse. Having the option to buy VC is fine. Basically forcing you to so you can enjoy all the gamemodes is not.

The guys over at 2KSports Forums seem to disdain at the lack of patching some iterations of the NBA2K series got .. maybe 2K were a bit busy with the next-gen incarnation so ignore older versions https://www.2ksports.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=246

hopefully they might be more attentive this release

Top Bottom