• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2k14 Next-Gen is Always Online and other messed up business decisions

Purexed

Banned
I was playing couch multiplayer with my boys last night and we were kicked out our game based on a network error message. Took us straight to the main menu in the middle of the 4th quarter.

Different generation, same ol' 2k networking issues.

Mik317

I never understand complaints about micro-transactions. Just don't buy them. Problem solved.

This is all well and good until you realize you cant do simple shit like set your lineups without it. like I said not a big deal to me since I often earn crazy ammounts anyway.

My main issue with the game is that they took away features that are in the game. I get it. Next Gen sports games often cut stuff and its a new engine but CAP is technically in the game...so why can't we use it outside of MyPlayer mode? Defensive settings, single player co-op and more are in the game pre-patch but now they aren't? Fucking why?

The always online stuff is bad but explainable. Douchebags were ruining it for everyone. Fine. I don't like the way they have tried to stop it but whatever. But taking away features and shit? Nope.

Like I said, the game part is great but everything that surrounds it is garbage. someone needs to call Kotaku lol.

The game loads nba.com stat information and video highlights straight to your console. Of course it has to be online. And you access your rosters by pressing triangle at the team select screen.

Keep calm.

DR3AM

yes saves and "rosters" are offline. if you need the latest rosters you need to download them. current stats and and the nba stuff needs an online connection which is normal.

Mik317

The game loads nba.com stat information and video highlights straight to your console. Of course it has to be online. And you access your rosters by pressing triangle at the team select screen.

Keep calm.

Except this wasn't an issue in previous games. Why should I HAVE to save my roster to their servers (which are ass)...when in every other game, it's a normal save. Same thing for every other mode. The sad part is that saving a roster to your hardrive is in the game...only accessible when the servers are dead.

I don't mind online features. NBAToday requiring the internet is fine and great but all this other stuff. No.

also they TOOK features away via a patch. That is just dirty.

Mik317

yes saves and "rosters" are offline. if you need the latest rosters you need to download them. current stats and and the nba stuff needs an online connection which is normal.

nope.

You have to upload your own personal rosters and then download them everytime you want to use them. and if the servers are down you cannot access them.

Derrick01

Banned
This is one of the reasons I'm getting NBA Live instead. Follow me to the promised land, fellas. Redemption is upon us!

You're on your own there Jim Jones.

I'd put up with all of this bullshit before ever playing another EA sports game.

Except this wasn't an issue in previous games. Why should I HAVE to save my roster to their servers (which are ass)...when in every other game, it's a normal save. Same thing for every other mode. The sad part is that saving a roster to your hardrive is in the game...only accessible when the servers are dead.

I don't mind online features. NBAToday requiring the internet is fine and great but all this other stuff. No.

also they TOOK features away via a patch. That is just dirty.

Its only the first weekend. We'll see what happens if they release a holiday big patch.

I never understand complaints about micro-transactions. Just don't buy them. Problem solved.

The problem is when they design games around microtransactions such that the game is unplayable/unbearably grindy unless you spend money on the microtransactions. Problem not solved.

The problem is when they design games around microtransactions such that the game is unplayable/unbearably grindy unless you spend money on the microtransactions. Problem not solved.

I think they want to cap your usage of VC to your myplayer so he won't be godly.

2k13 was halfway here, and I guess they've completed the implementation of their always online let's monetize fun plan. 2K13 was all but unplayable due to the grinding for vc that you needed to do if you didn't feel like paying. I gave up on playing 2K13 when I calculated that I'd need to play 180 hours of it to get my myplayer to the point I'd like him at. That wasn't even fully maxed out either. I was also already 60 hours deep at that point so I don't know what the fuck they're expecting from me besides extra payment, it's like F2P but you've actually paid for a product already. This will also make it easier for them to force people to move on from product to product so they cal resell them the same content and vc points again.

It's a sad day when big publishers start fishing for whales.

Top Bottom