• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the last hour I've encountered more Wii U ads than in the previous few months

Mariolee

I'm not actually watching TV right now, but my little sister has the TV on in the next room over. I think she either has Nick or ABC Family on, and in the last hour I've heard three or four Super Mario 3D World commercials and one or two of the Wii U Pitch ad. I've also seen ads on Disney Channel where they have a little bumper that says, "This show is sponsored by Super Mario 3D World, yadayadayadayada."

Before this, in the last few months, I've maybe seen two or three ads for Wonderful 101 on youtube videos and Pikmin 3 ads on Nick or Cartoon Network.

It really does seem like Nintendo is pushing the shit out of Mario 3D World, more than I was expecting at least. I thought it'd be a healthy dose between Link Between Two Worlds and Mario Party as well, but I guess they realize they really need to make the most of this holiday, obviously.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I would hope so- they basically sat on their ad budget for 10 months.

I wonder if they will go beyond cable..

LevityNYC

Banned
1. Its a really nice system with really good games out or coming out soon.

2. Video game systems are on people's minds and its holiday shopping season.

DJIzana

Just wait until Smash Bros, DKC, Monolith Soft's X and Mario Kart come out. You'll see a HUGE push from them. GUARANTEED.

jwhit28

I never see Wii U ads but they have a tendency of targeting Adult Swim and Comedy Central watchers with 3DS games, especially overnight. It's been happening the whole year starting with Fire Emblem Awakening and now that is the only time I see the A Link Between Worlds ad.

The_Lump

Banned
Nintendo are all over Cartoon Network in the UK in recent weeks (specifically in the morning but noticed it all afternoon this weekend - not that I was watching cartoons all day >.>) Specifically sponsoring "Comedy on Cartoon Network", which is shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show and Gumball.

....unfortunately it's all "3DS Family" (ugh) and Mario Kart 7 (whut?) and no WiiU.

Kouichi

Good to hear. Hopefully Nintendo can keep this up during 2014. I expect plenty of commercials near Mario Kart 8's release.

Mr. Desu

It's a great system. As with Nintendo though, it takes a little for things to take off though, so seeing this push now, especially before the holiday, is no surprise.

Darryl

Banned
I never see Wii U ads but they have a tendency of targeting Adult Swim and Comedy Central watchers with 3DS games, especially overnight. It's been happening the whole year starting with Fire Emblem Awakening and now that is the only time I see the A Link Between Worlds ad.

i saw wii u ads on comedy central all of the time last holiday. haven't seen them since, but they were going on like crazy

I can vouch for that as well. In addition to the 3d World and Pitch Ad, I have also seen several Let's Dance commercials that end with a full image of the Wii U. Looks like they are hitting this year's targeted audience hard.

Effect

Good to know they're doing some advertising. I tend to watch some kids channels and I haven't really seen any ads there in the last few months. Nothing compared to when they were advertising Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, and Kid Icarus. I haven't watched int he last several days so I haven't seen these latest ones. I didn't see anything for Wonderful 101 other then online and even that was rare.

However it would be helpful if Nintendo didn't put their ads just there. Kids watch other channels and are likely to watch other channels with parents. So having the ad go on that shows the family playing while the family is in front of the TV would be helpful. It also would help to have the child say "That looks cool" or "I'd like that" with the parent watching the same thing and hearing that. This is why prime time ads matter.

balohna

Switch to an NFL game. PS4 ad every 15 minutes.

Would be a waste of money for Nintendo. Their bread and butter is kids/families, and beyond that it's loyal fans that will buy their stuff anyway. The next step beyond that would be targeting mom's and old people, but they're probably not watching a ton of NFL.

kitsuneyo

I just can't understand why Nintendo's been so stingey with its advertising dollars. Should've been like this from the start.

Berordn

I guess they're hoping to replicate the 3DS's turnaround that started with 3D Land. About time they started marketing the thing, anyway.

PhantomR

Banned

What the hell does this have to do with this thread?

Anyway, Nintendo's marketing presence has been very strong in fairly specific channels. Like Odduck's mentioned though, I'd like to see a little more marketing on network television....primarily during prime time tv. Still, good to see the engine going.

jwhit28

I'm disappointed in these ads. Way too much people running around doing nothing when they have great footage they could be focusing on. With the way NBA 2k14 and Killzone look you don't need live action.

The Xbox One ads have been all about NFL on Xbox One.

Briarios

It's because they actually have games coming out that people want. They may have a good Christmas. I'd easily recommend it to a family with younger kids over a PS4 or One. I wish I had the money for one now ... but, the PS4 launch did me in.

hoserx

I'm disappointed in these ads. Way too much people running around doing nothing when they have great footage they could be focusing on. With the way NBA 2k14 and Killzone look you don't need live action.

The Xbox One ads have been all about NFL on Xbox One.

jack-nicholson-nodding.gif

I just can't understand why Nintendo's been so stingey with its advertising dollars. Should've been like this from the start.

They were waiting for the right games to be released. Nintendo is very confident about 3D World, and it's the holidays.

Well I guess its good they finally realized they have a console out there. TV is swamped by ps4 and xbone ads though

They are not targeting the same audience at this time. There may not be much of a overlap on what channels we will be seeing alot of Wii U commercials compared to the XBO/PS4 commercials.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Is Nintendo advertising the Skylanders bundle? That would be smart.

Top Bottom