• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 Review Thread

Eurogamer 7/10
Dead Rising 3 is the weakest in the series, then. It's no kind of technical showcase for Xbox One, although that didn't really bother me once I got into it, and if all you want for a launch title is something passably entertaining to plug away at for a few long evenings, it will suit you fine. Just beware, once you get over the pleasure of the first few combo weapons, Dead Rising 3 is just a solid zombie brawler set in an open world, not the strange game of tender heart that used to be so funny and surprising.
Polygon 7.5/10
Dead Rising 3 gets a lot of things right. It presents a massive open world filled with possibilities and features the first truly impressive use of scale in a game based on a zombie outbreak. But the game's difficulty spikes — due to its control and inventory issues — and boring, stereotype-laden writing can be difficult to swallow. There's a very good game lurking inside of Dead Rising 3 — but it feels a little unsteady on its feet.
EGM - 8/10
When so many of this generation’s launch titles feel like glorified tech demos, I’m inclined to applaud the fact that Dead Rising 3 is much more impressive to play than it is to look at. Would I love to have it both ways? Sure. But I’d gladly trade more polygons for more zombies, more weapons, more laughs, and more Dead Rising. And no matter what anyone at Capcom Vancouver might say, that’s exactly what Dead Rising 3 delivers.
Joystiq 3.5/5
Dead Rising 3 is a worthy entry in the series and, for the most part, gets out of your way. It knows that all you really want to do is discover and create new playthings to dismember the undead. As a vehicle for that, it's a comfortable ride.
C&VG 7/10
In some ways Dead Rising 3 doesn't feel like a sequel at all. It's a sloppy, loose and ugly looking game, lacking the finely tuned foundations of most games in their third iterations. Its problems, though many, are somewhat saved by all of the effortless fun had dicing up zombies with bizarre weaponry. Capcom hasn't managed to clean the blood off this flawed diamond. In some ways it may even have tarnished it further. But a diamond it remains.
EDGE 8/10
Dead Rising 3 is a sandbox in the purest sense, one that urges you to experiment with its innumerable toys at your leisure. The result is an open world that, in spite of its reanimated inhabitants, feels more alive than most.
Kotaku - YES
As a game, Dead Rising 3 is significantly flawed but plenty fun. As a step toward our brave new next-gen future, it's a half-measure, testing fresh ground while leaving its rear foot planted squarely in the past.
GameInformer - 8.75/10
Capcom Vancouver’s latest entry in the Dead Rising saga is an impressive display of big, dumb fun, and a must-play for fans of the series. It’s also a great demonstration of the outstanding capabilities of next-gen hardware right out of the gate. Thinning out the undead of Los Perdidos is worth your time, but the bugs infesting the sandbox are an unwelcome scourge.
Gamereactor UK - 8/10
For those seeking a return to the comedy thrills of past iterations, there's enough of that original spirit here for that to still be possible, despite the grittier tone. Some won't appreciate the new save system and relaxed emphasis on timekeeping, but the remedy for that is to go straight to Nightmare mode as it's more inline with what's come before. If you're new to the series and are just after a decent zombie-fest and an open-world to explore on your new console, you'll find that here too. If you can forgive the fact that it's not the perfect advert for next-gen gaming, there's plenty of reasons to take a trip to Los Perdidos.
Videogamer - 8/10
One of the best games to simply mess around in.
Destructoid - 9/10
Although it sacrifices a tad of its loveable camp factor and neon style in favor of a few other advancements, the outcome is a much stronger, more involved Dead Rising game. For once, I actually felt overwhelmed in a zombie outbreak, which is a real example of how next-gen technology can be used to do more than simply "make things look better." Out of all the launch titles I've played on both new consoles, Dead Rising 3 is my personal favorite, bar none.
Gamespot - 7/10
Despite a wonky presentation and obvious technical hiccups, Capcom has successfully made Dead Rising 3 a more welcoming experience than its harsh predecessors. It can be an inconsistent experience, but I choose to ignore the game's peculiarities and play Dead Rising 3 in the spirit that I believe it's intended: running around in shark outfit shooting zombies with deadly dildos fired from a leaf blower.

Edge: 8

http://www.edge-online.com/review/dead-rising-3-review/

For all its innovation, Dead Rising 3’s bosses – both the mandatory storyline encounters and the Psycho missions – remain a frustrating low point. Even with your new-found abilities, boss fights feel awkward and unfair. Controls that work well when navigating through the lumbering undead come unstuck against more agile foes, or even track-mounted robotic arms, as one particularly hateful and drawn-out encounter proves.

But even these charismatic roadblocks can’t quite derail an ambitious overhaul of the series that offers more than enough incentive for you to endure its less progressive design choices. Dead Rising 3 is a sandbox in the purest sense, one that urges you to experiment with its innumerable toys at your leisure. The result is an open world that, in spite of its reanimated inhabitants, feels more alive than most.

nice :)

Xater

Dead Rising 3 is just a solid zombie brawler set in an open world, not the strange game of tender heart that used to be so funny and surprising.

That is probably the most disappointing thing about the game. Well besides the technical issues. It always looked like a game that lost it's heart.

dreamfall

Playing this is going to be a lot of fun, even if it is a bit of a technical mess.

Those beautiful weapon combinations!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
not the strange game of tender heart that used to be so funny and surprising

this is the crux of why i don't have the same excitement - why take away one of the greatest things about the series and make it into another generic-y looking zombie game?

Capcom?

Takao

Banned
Microsoft has spent some big ad money on this game, and while the scores are decent I expected better given the push.

shandy706

Looks like it's going to be mid 7's and 8's. Good to hear. I'll pick it up in December :)

Come on OP, update that first post.

Mman235

Is the Eurogamer link in this thread not working for anyone else? I went to the actual site and found the review and that works fine.

Top Bottom