• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenPandora liquidated, as company runs out of money

Takao

Banned
Gamasutra:

It came to light over the weekend that OpenPandora, the manufacturer best known for its open source Pandora handheld games console, has run out of money and has subsequently applied for the company to be disbanded.

OpenPandora first started building its Pandora handheld machines around 7 years ago. The Pandora was quite ahead of its time, a sort of games console crossed with a notebook-style computer, and shipped around 5,000 units to consumers.

As the years went by, however, the team faced numerous problems, such as manufacturing defects and the intermittent failure of LCD cables, which led to drastic losses.

Now the company has been forced to admit that it "has no assets of any significant value," in an email sent out to people who preordered the Pandora over the years.

"There is no money to pay for liquidation (it would require around £4000) and since no one has applied to liquidate us it is with regret that we have had to take this action," reads the statement.

As a result, it's looking unlikely that those people who pre-ordered the handheld years ago are going to receive the hardware anytime soon, nor will they be getting their money back.

However, OpenPandora Germany will apparently continue to trade, and the company advises customers who are still waiting on hardware to try getting in contact with the German branch instead.

Sad to see as I love the concept of what they were trying to do.

If I remember correctly though they had lots of problems actually delivering on the amount they sold, still think there are people waiting (though could be wrong)

I also backed the iControlPad2 on kickstarter and was notified a few days ago that it was cancelled. 200 000 gone in a year and nothing to show for it. The kickstarter was terrible in every way.

Lafazar

To clarify: There are two companies (and mainly two People) involved in the Creation of the Pandora:
OpenPandora LTD lead by Craig Rothwell ("Craigix") in the UK and OpenPandora GmbH lead by Michael Mrozek ("EvilDragon") in Germany.

The one that folded is the English one. Craig has stopped communicating with the community (and with Michael) for some time now, so this was expected. There are now a few hundred customers of his that paid for a Pandora and never got it. Also he failed to deliver his latest Kickstarter Project (the IcontrolPad 2).

The German company run by Michael is still healthy and still making and selling Pandoras and there is even talk of a Pandora successor (not associated with the Pandora name though, after all this).

This is a sad turn of events. Not all of it is Craigs fault, the Pandora Project was initially royally screwed by the company making the PCBs, but Craig did not manage this and other problems well and worst of all did not communicate properly with the community to search for solutions.

Michael did all that and managed to save the project through a vast effort (basically working two jobs at once), but since Craig did not inform him properly (i.e. lied) about the number of his orders, his efforts were not able to provide all of Craigs customers with Pandoras. He is currently offering a Pandora at production costs for Craigs customers.

Luckily I ordered at Michael's Store and got my Pandora after numerous delays (nowadays you get one instantly when you order it). I can still recommend it for what it is: a portable Linux computer with a number of very good emulators and some unique hardware features (two SD slots, great battery life, full USB-port, all replacement parts available, etc...), even though it has been eclipsed by the Nvidia shield and some other devices as a pure emulation device.

To be clear (as the end of the quote somewhat notes), it is only OpenPandora Ltd. that is disbanding. OpenPandora GmbH is still up and running, and they're the ones who have actually taken responsibility for manufacturing and everything else for the last couple of years. Sucks for the people who preordered from OpenPandora Ltd. and still haven't received their unit, though. (I ordered from OpenPandora Ltd. myself, but I took advantage of the upgrade plan from OpenPandora GmbH and I got an upgraded Pandora around a year ago.)

Edit: Somewhat beaten.

pootle

I can only add to the above: it's sad for the people caught up in Craig Rothwell's lack of ability to actually fulfill his promises.

As stated, OpenPandora GmbH is still going strong and they are looking after Craig's customers as best they can, either through paid upgrades or by donations. It will take them a while but hopefully the Craig's customers will eventually get what they have paid for.

I don't want to go off on a rant about Craig, you need the dreamers to inspire the more rational among us to attempt projects they normally wouldn't try. But now he has left 2 trails of victims of his incompetence in his wake.

The Pandora is still the only device of its kind. It is a fantastic little thing, it really is.

It's a pity the merits of the console, the community and EvilDragon and OpenPandora GmbH's loyalty to Craig's customers is being overshadowed. Very sad for those who have been affected by this.

Geedorah

Also an iCP2 backer via Kickstarter. What a horrendous and insulting campaign they ran. Got to be honest, not at all surprised they went under with practices like they have displayed. Hope to all that is good in this world that I receive back my initial investment, just on principle...

Daedardus

I was quite interested in this thing but it came out too late. By the time it started production, Android was becoming more and more dominating, and showed that the OpenPandora was nothing more than overpriced weak hardware.

Lafazar

So how many people were still waiting for their handheld?

A few hundred (last I heard was ~440). In total there were a few thousand Pandoras made and delivered .The German company produced and delivered around 3000, the English company probably around the same, so I'd estimate there are around 6000 Pandoras in the wild (and before someone asks: yes, this number is a huge success for a niche device like this).

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

coughlanio

I'd totally be on board for a successor.

Give me a quad core, 2GB RAM, 5" 720p clamshell with QWERTY keyboard that can run a full Linux distro, and I'll be completely happy.

Cody_D165

Banned
Somewhere, right now, Gamester81 is laughing a laugh of justice.

if anyone listens to the All Gen Gamers podcast they probably know what I'm talking about

redlemon

I was strongly considering pre ordering from the second batch a few years ago. Dodged a hell of a bullet there.
I think the time is past for me in terms of getting a pandora but I'd be interested in buying a successor device from ED since he did about as good a job as you could salvaging the disaster the pandora became.

Lafazar

Top Bottom