• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza 5 1080p/60FPS gameplay and performance analysis videos

RetroStu

Banned
What are your thoughts on this comparison? Tonnes of different segments of the track compared.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90611423&postcount=203

Its obvious the assets were not final in the E3 vid, as happens with games months away from completion. The high res captures on this very thread look miles better than those screen grabs in your thread.
The only real difference i can see is that they turned down the colour a bit so its not as garish, something everyone moaned about at E3 and how 'cartoonish' the game looked.

Demon Ice

Banned
Not at all. I've seen Nib in multiple Forza threads therefore it's fair to make the assumption that somebody who is visiting and posting in multiple threads about a game would have a lot of interest in that series.

Not sure why you feel the need to be all Kevin Costner but carry on.

I don't understand the reference, but I'm just trying to figure out why you're bringing up a poster's interest in past Forza games in this thread. That's all.

nib95

Banned
Not at all. I've seen Nib in multiple Forza threads therefore it's fair to make the assumption that somebody who is visiting and posting in multiple threads about a game would have a lot of interest in that series.

I do have a lot of interest in the series. In-fact, I spend a lot of time with racing games in general. I'm not buying an Xbox One for a while, but F5 will be one of the games I get for it when I do. Hopefully they'll have a F5 GotY Edition or something when I do.

Here are the differences I've noted. Correct me if I am wrong.

Downgrades.

- Overall lighting and dynamic range
- Textures on certain buildings
- Geometry
- Shaders
- Ambient Occlusion
- Quality of crowd models
- Motion blur reduction
- Shadow quality
- Post processing (reduction of fog etc)
- Anti Aliasing
- Number of trees and quality of foliage

Upgrades.

- Certain buildings now have windows
- Bloom has been reduced
- Road textures in areas are better
I didn't notice much with the trees, but some of these downgrades I bet were because of the backlash some games are having with less then 60fps.

Almost averything apart from car looks mediogre. Even bad at spots. Comparasion shots are idiotic as other shots are compressed to hell. 1080/60 came with a price it seems.

I will write comparison as comparasion. deal with it. Next gen has been pretty mild regarding to news. Maybe after XBO release.
I do not think i have ever played forza game. When I had xbox i did not have it. my friends did not have it. nor do i know anyone who has any forza game.

Gestault

What are your thoughts on this comparison? Tonnes of different segments of the track compared.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90611423&postcount=203

I see one or two cases that I'd absolutely agree are toned down geometry, but I don't think it's unfair to say the majority of these changes represent improvements to art and geometry. I agree that things like contrast are less pronounced (more realistic), but that's an artistic shift that I think benefits how the game looks. It's a factual statement to say that the images you linked show more detail in the release version, aside from a few outliers (I'll make a gif of those momentarily to highlight that as well).

i43ZPp9TedD8U.gif

Aren't they doing something strange by only releasing the "replay" version videos?

Those have higher effects and what not?

The direct feed stuff is there - hence a 1GB file.

As for the replay stuff, it looks barely better, strangely. Geometry isn't changed, aliasing or much else as far as i can tell. There's a more liberal use of motion blur but that's about it.

As for the side-grade (lol) i think the only effect i'm truly missing is the fog over the river. Initially the trailer looked like you shot out over the water ripping through the fog along the bridge, now it's a lot more civilised with the toned down fog in the retail game :(

Edit: Why use the Fallon stuff for comparison when DF have got a 25Mb/s file for you to work with lol. The car isn't the same but then we will truly be bale to worm out the trolls.
Glad they got it locked at 60.

Only 2 dropped frame in 3 minutes when i watched the direct-feed DF stuff through MPC.

ShogunX

I do have a lot of interest in the series. In-fact, I spend a lot of time with racing games in general. I'm not buying an Xbox One for a while, but F5 will be one of the games I get for it when I too. Hopefully they'll have a F5 GotY Edition or something when I do.

Fair enough. Had a feeling there was more to it than you simply not playing the game for so long. In other news if you didn't play Crackdown on your friends 360...do so.

I don't understand the reference, but I'm just trying to figure out why you're bringing up a poster's interest in past Forza games in this thread. That's all.

Pretty sure I've already answered that in the very post you are quoting....Kevin Costner = The Bodyguard. Immature I know :)

nib95

Banned
I didn't notice much with the trees, but some of these downgrades I bet were because of the backlash some games are having with less then 60fps.

I think the quality of the tree's and amount of foliage has been reduced. Could always be an artistic decision, or simply because the tree's don't look very good. Eg.

17sxek.png

1_1j3amu.png

7nxliy.png

7_7grart.png

8vobdg.png

8_874awg.png

2wdxd6.png

2_2klzfy.png

Fair enough. Had a feeling there was more to it than you simply not playing the game for so long. In other news if you didn't play Crackdown on your friends 360...do so.

Played Crackdown at release the same way. Quite enjoyed the game too! Mindless fun. But I remember thinking the graphics were pretty awful.

Seanspeed

Banned

Nib is a smart guy. He knows what he's talking about for the most part and I have no doubt he has some interest in Forza. But he's not a Forza fan. His biases quite evidently lie elsewhere and he likes to downplay Forza anytime he can, even if he's not exactly being brash or antagonizing about it.

derFeef

Wow nib what are you seeing? It's more saturated, there is even more grass/bushes. If I see another tower of highly compressed forza5 picture comparison... gosh.

I think the quality of the tree's and amount of foliage has been reduced. Could always be an artistic decision, or simply because the tree's don't look very good. Eg.

Looks like they were using trees originally to hide low detailed buildings. And as the buildings got better they were more comfortable letting them out into the light.

RetroStu

Banned
Actually the trees do look a little worse but everything else looks a lot better, the buildings and texture detail are far better.

Pbae

All of this is small fries to the bigger problem here.

Clearly there is a substantial downgrade in their confetti tech.

This game looks beautiful.

adelante

Nib is a smart guy. He knows what he's talking about for the most part and I have no doubt he has some interest in Forza. But he's not a Forza fan. His biases quite evidently lie elsewhere and he likes to downplay Forza anytime he can, even if he's not exactly being brash or antagonizing about it.

Not sure if downplaying is the issue, but I just don't understand why it's hard for some people to be objective and put in more effort to even bring up good points that may not be obvious to others (like the altered/added/improved buildings for instance, these are worth mentioning too). Perhaps, it's easy to be blinded to such things when the bad parts stick out like a sore thumb to you.

system11

Being firmly in the PS4 camp, I think this game looks great and will hold the next gen racing crown until something else comes along with the correct frame rate. Just a shame about the microtransactions...

Snubbers

I think it's fair to say that there are 'some' downgrades..

But, I see people being pillocks and really going out their way to present things in the worst light they can..

Even in the Horiffically compressed DF video, in prague, there is some LoD effect going on with the buildings, when you step through you can see the majority of the texture/geometry does appear when closer, but there are still obvious differences..

I can see some obvious 'downgrades', but it's clear there are also some general scene construction/lighting differences anyway, so until I see actual HQ footage, or see it with my own eyes, I think it's almost trolling to start playing the 'significant downgrades' card..

:)

I'll be around my brothers playing this on Friday, so I'll see how bad it looks in the flesh..

Coolwhip

Banned
It doesn't look very good, but 1080/60 is definately the right choice. Any racing game that doesn't go for 60 fps is a joke.

Perkel

Banned
so how did they manage 1080/60fps and other games cant manage it?

Baked lighting probably because they are still using tiled renderer instead of deferred which would @ 1080p exceed 32mb of ESRAM. With tiled renderer they probably can fit framebuffer in esram.

But i may be wrong with this one because i don't remember if that was 1080p or 1080p with 2xAA that would exceed 32mb limit

Stil 1080p @ 60fps can look amazing with even baked lighting.

I would kill for proper GT5 @ 1080p with 4xMSAA with improved effects quality. Basically photomode gameplay

Baked lighting probably because they are still using tiled renderer instead of deferred which would @ 1080p exceed 32mb of ESRAM. With tiled renderer they probably can fit framebuffer in esram.

But i may be wrong with this one because i don't remember if that was 1080p or 1080p with 2xAA that would exceed 32mb limit

I would kill for proper GT5 @ 1080p with 4xMSAA with improved effects quality. Basically photomode gameplay

Replay mode is pretty legit. It runs at 30fps though, but if they can hit that at 60fps with texture upgrades I'll be happy.

IMG]http://abload.de/img/forza1080p60.mp4_snapeqs63.png[/IMG]

The above doesn't look very good to you?
Honestly, it doesn't look very good there. That's probably one of the worst pictures you could use as an example; it's got the shitty trees in it, the photoshopped looking crowd, and the aliasing of everything going into the distance.

Photomode AA is so good. All they need to do for GT on PS4 graphically is up the AA to where there are no jaggies.

Phil4000

Wow, disappointing.... :(
Are the crowds 2D?!
Even the reflections on the cars look terrible, half-frame/ pixelated up close and their are jaggies everywhere.

Aside from the buttery smooth framerate, Forza 5 looks pretty lousy graphically.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-now-forza-motorsport-5

Links to the videos can be found in the article on the left site hosted on Mega with torrent mirrors.

Direct link to the performance analysis video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGMX0RWzwM#t=53

omg, I've never noticed before, but that looks god awful.... Why wonder it's running at 1080p/60

EDIT: Ah, It's because of the downgrade, not seen much since the inital reveal... Bet the developers where disappointed with having to cut down too :(

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Is there zero AA? Just saw the MEGA videos and there's a lot of shimmering going on.

Also goes to show how crisp and clear 1080p can deliver. But I agree, graphically it's not very impressive considering all the sacrifices they've made to hit 1080/60fps. Its a solid looking game.

Piggus

Is there zero AA? Just saw the MEGA videos and there's a lot of shimmering going on.

Also goes to show how crisp and clear 1080p can deliver. But I agree, graphically it's not very impressive considering all the sacrifices they've made to hit 1080/60fps. Its a solid looking game.

Yep, no AA

Zen

Banned
Of course you're going to be able to find examples of earlier placeholder geometry being improved come release though. That's not news or really the source of the downgrades.

As someone who is buying the XB1 day one, and Forza was my biggest reason, I'm definitely feeling a little disappointed seeing the video in the OP.

I immediately noticed the lighting had been toned down, and there was a great looking fog effect over the water at E3, and it appears to be gone or mostly gone now. :/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You don't really need to "think" just look at the screens above from Prague that prove conclusively otherwise.
I don't know. The new footage looks very flat in comparison. Looks self shadowing on trees and shadow casting from trees in general has been removed, there's no AA anymore, everything looks more muted somehow, as if the lighting dynamic range has been shrunk down or simplified somehow.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Probably the biggest downgrade for me is the crowds. I was pretty impressed that they were all 3d in the reveal...I thought the 2d era of crowds was over.

5eG8gb4.png

vtikJ0f.png

Fcutzg1.png
J7MARIc.png

See how that green line doesn't move from 60 fps other vidya game developers?
That is how you make a console game

1080p , 60 fps locked (closed hardware for a reason!)

Who cares if the game saw some downgrades, at least they put the framerate and image quality first

If it was 30 fps or not 1080p or had framedrops then yeah, but for once a dev does the right thing...

The crowd doesn't even look like some realistic motorsport spectators but like they took some pictures of people in an office. And the most people look even pissed.

I trust DF will be doing a comparison between the final build of the game and the version they played at E3, yes?

Some of the downgrades here are truly shocking to observe.

And to think of all the shit some of the insiders got around E3 for suggesting this very thing was going to happen. Unbelievable.

Looked decent on the ign stream although seriously needs AA. 60 fps definitelys gives it an advantage over Driveclub, but at this stage I am quite surprised at just how much more impressive DC looks.

Top Bottom