• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza 5 1080p/60FPS gameplay and performance analysis videos

How bad are the jaggies here? Doesn't native 1080p help mitigate that?

Half of me wants to high-five Turn 10 for getting 1080p locked at 60fps. That's absolutely the right goal and I'm sure a LOT of work went into locking that down.

But the other half of me has always had issues with IQ in Forza games, and jaggies and shimmer in particular, and those issues still seem to be present here.

RayMaker

Banned
Nicolas%20Cage%20laughing%20like%20a%20mad%20man.gif

at the people saying at theres no downgrade these pic and the ones above show a clear downgarde in many aspects.

And even though some textures may have been improved the overall visual package looks noticeably worse then the E3/jimmy fallon version

E3 version had that next gen feel

Release version is just orange peel :(

Demon Ice

Banned
The static crowd sprites utterly kill the otherwise fantastic looking replay mode. They're also pretty horrible at the start of the races. Not even a little bit animated.

ShapeGSX

How bad are the jaggies here? Doesn't native 1080p help mitigate that?

Half of me wants to high-five Turn 10 for getting 1080p locked at 60fps. That's absolutely the right goal and I'm sure a LOT of work went into locking that down.

But the other half of me has always had issues with IQ in Forza games, and jaggies and shimmer in particular, and those issues still seem to be present here.

I have a Sony KDS-60A3000 SXRD 60" 1080p rear projection TV (the last SXRD RPTV ever produced). I doubt that I'll see any jaggies. :) It tends to add its own post-processing AA.

SRTtoZ

Oh god. Watching the Prague e3 build then the DF video was truly night and day. I wonder why they tuned it down so much.

VaizardNL

Banned
Said it a while ago, that the E3 build looked much better than the later gameplay trailers, but I wasn´t aware that it was this big. I knew it was a big difference, but the Prague screenshots are an insane difference.

I´m really curious as to what the reason is that they needed to downgrade it this much, but in my opinion it does not bode well. Were they really so far off as to what their final specs would be?

I'm still looking forward to my Xbox One purchase next year, but I am really wondering why there are such big differences. Ryse is like the complete opposite of this game (though that always looked great)

elektrixx

Banned
To be honest I'd prefer the game with replay mode graphics all the time. I don't care that much about 60FPS.

Actually, replay mode is pretty much Forza Horizon mode. I hope that's coming next year.

ACH1LL3US

My god I bloody new it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89137237&postcount=615

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90437741&postcount=4595

Downgrades/false advertising is what I hate most in the industry.

I dont know how they can think they can get away with it.

Screw You MS+Turn, this has completely turned me off getting an X1.

Where is the false advertising??? The game is still 1080p 60... They showed the game at E3 with only ONE car on the track. It still looks great to me, I played the build with Leguna Seca and was really impressed , espcially with the gameplay, the physics are fantastic with all of the assists off.

I don't see much basis for your apparent hatred now because the game had to be "downgraded" to accomodate more cars on the track etc. then the reveal was.

nib95

Banned
Where is the false advertising??? The game is still 1080p 60... They showed the game at E3 with only ONE car on the track. It still looks great to me, I played the build with Leguna Seca and was really impressed , espcially with the gameplay, the physics are fantastic with all of the assists off.

I don't see much basis for your apparent hatred now because the game had to be "downgraded" to accomodate more cars on the track etc. then the reveal was.

Erm....there were lots of cars on the track in the original reveal gameplay....even in the Jimmy Fallon play through....

The game looks good, no questions asked.. but the downgrades are damn obvious. Ouch. They should have been more upfront about this.

Probably the biggest downgrade for me is the crowds. I was pretty impressed that they were all 3d in the reveal...I thought the 2d era of crowds was over.

5eG8gb4.png

vtikJ0f.png

Fcutzg1.png
J7MARIc.png

Yeah. Ick.

Well stuff always happens between the game's reveal til it's launch so this is no surprise. Also of important note, when the game was shown at E3 and Gamescom, there were only a handful of cars on the track. Optimization, along with them wanting to have a full grid of 16, running at no less than 60fps, had led to this.

Shouldn't optimization result in a better looking game? It's pretty rare for a game to actually look worse as it finishes development IMO.

iJudged

Banned

Hatred? Not a hatred, it's a got damn fact. Look at e3 footage then look at this, look at e then look at this, how can you not see it....

Snubbers

Hatred? Not a hatred, it's a got damn fact. Look at e3 footage then look at this, look at e then look at this, how can you not see it....

Yeah, and I look at the trailers of other racing games shown around E3 then look at the actual 'racing' direct feed stuff and there is a massive world of difference..

I hate it as much as the next guy, but lets not pretend artistic 'trailers' with perfect AA and impossible LOD aren't pretty much a given these days..

The crowds look terribad to me.. I think they should have left them out, but watching the actual high bitrate videos' DF link to, the game looks very good indeed..

And there are plenty of instances of upgrades as well, it's not all one way..

I'd say 8/10 sums it all up nicely.. not bad for a rushed launch game, not perfect, but people, have a smidgeon of perspective..

Still looks decent but it is a downgrade. What the hell happened?

The reality of making a game for a hd7770 with no memory bandwidth

If it looks too good to be true then it is too good to be true, just be glad they put fps/image quality first, I wish all console devs had done so during the ps3 era

RayMaker

Banned

When I saw the E3 footage I was truly amazed by it,.I was hyped mainly because of the way it looked.

and now what got me so hyped for it and the X1, turns out to be a lie.

The game simply is not the same which annoys me because I thought it looked really good.

The basis for why i'am so annoyed is because Dan Greenawalt (bald guy) from turn 10 was there with IGN saying ''look at how amazing the lighting , the reflections etc etc are'' and I was on board and hyped with him, but now that its been revealed, that the final product is not as good has he said, I feel cheated,conned and left with a product that is in dismay of its portrayed image by MS.

Like how you can feel after seeing a picture of a big mac that looks a amazing, and the actual burger is 1/2 the size and looks like shit.

heres that IGN interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_NySJyi2pw

iJudged

Banned
Yeah, and I look at the trailers of other racing games shown around E3 then look at the actual 'racing' direct feed stuff and there is a massive world of difference..

I hate it as much as the next guy, but lets not pretend artistic 'trailers' with perfect AA and impossible LOD aren't pretty much a given these days..

The crowds look terribad to me.. I think they should have left them out, but watching the actual high bitrate videos' DF link to, the game looks very good indeed..

And there are plenty of instances of upgrades as well, it's not all one way..

I'd say 8/10 sums it all up nicely.. not bad for a rushed launch game, not perfect, but people, have a smidgeon of perspective..

All I see is an amazing looking game at E3,and now still an amazing looking game but downgraded graphically that it is very noticeable. I guess my self and many others thought what they showed at E3 was the actual in game footage, as advertised if I recall.

dogstar

Banned
Has gone from stunning to nice.. this was the only game I was going to miss by going Sony this time, but now I'm not bothered at all. It looks sterile and more than a lttle dull.. I'll keep enjoying F4 on the 360 with few regrets.

Top Bottom