• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza 5 1080p/60FPS gameplay and performance analysis videos

Yeah, and I look at the trailers of other racing games shown around E3 then look at the actual 'racing' direct feed stuff and there is a massive world of difference..

I hate it as much as the next guy, but lets not pretend artistic 'trailers' with perfect AA and impossible LOD aren't pretty much a given these days..

The crowds look terribad to me.. I think they should have left them out, but watching the actual high bitrate videos' DF link to, the game looks very good indeed..

And there are plenty of instances of upgrades as well, it's not all one way..

I'd say 8/10 sums it all up nicely.. not bad for a rushed launch game, not perfect, but people, have a smidgeon of perspective..

Jeeze there is a lot of salt and obsessiveness over this. The game is getting high marks including in the graphical department. Ignore the fact that you saw pre-release footage and just look at the final product for crying out loud because thats what matters.

pre-release footage is pre-release footage, it is not a final build and if you expect there to not be changes then nothing can help you

Get this logic out of here.

Jeeze there is a lot of salt and obsessiveness over this. The game is getting high marks including in the graphical department. Ignore the fact that you saw pre-release footage and just look at the final product for crying out loud because thats what matters.

pre-release footage is pre-release footage, it is not a final build and if you expect there to not be changes then nothing can help you

B.O.O.M

Probably the biggest downgrade for me is the crowds. I was pretty impressed that they were all 3d in the reveal...I thought the 2d era of crowds was over.

5eG8gb4.png

vtikJ0f.png

Fcutzg1.png
J7MARIc.png

lol..Guess that Japanese news outlet which claimed about downgrades was right. I remember some getting really defensive in that thread.

Do you work for Ubisoft ?

ACH1LL3US

Erm....there were lots of cars on the track in the original reveal gameplay....even in the Jimmy Fallon play through....

All of the videos I saw from E3 actual gameplay on the floor ( TEAM VVV, IGN etc) had one car on the track.

Hatred? Not a hatred, it's a got damn fact. Look at e3 footage then look at this, look at e then look at this, how can you not see it....

Did you read his post? He posted what I would say is hatred towards both ms and turn 10 :/

Also , Yes I do see a difference between the reveal and now, I am not argueing that, I am argueing it was false advertising. That there is something shady going on here. So many variables why the game doesn't look as good as the reveal and E3 gameplay but saying it is false advertising is just hyperbole.

When I saw the E3 footage I was truly amazed by it,.I was hyped mainly because of the way it looked.

and now what got me so hyped for it and the X1, turns out to be a lie.

The game simply is not the same which annoys me because I thought it looked really good.

The basis for why i'am so annoyed is because Dan Greenawalt (bald guy) from turn 10 was there with IGN saying ''look at how amazing the lighting , the reflections etc etc are'' and I was on board and hyped with him, but now that its been revealed, that the final product is not as good has he said, I feel cheated,conned and left with a product that is in dismay of its portrayed image by MS.

Like how you can feel after seeing a picture of a big mac that looks a amazing, and the actual burger is 1/2 the size and looks like shit.

heres that IGN interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_NySJyi2pw

I understand its a disappointment BUT the gameplay on the E3 floor had one car on the track, the final game has 16. In order to keep 1080p at 60 they clearly had to scale down some stuff.

Let me ask everyone, would it have been worse if they kept the E3 graphics at say 900p or 720p ? I feel there was no win/win for turn10 in this scenario.

Zeth

that gig video at 1080p and 60fps is GLORIOUS

Yeah, I continue to be impressed by the visuals. I'm very happy that they prioritized resolution and framerate; I wish other devs did the same. The comparison img/gifs are amazing - software optimization, how does it work? Some of them are truly reaching, if you look that hard for upgrades you'd likely find many more. The lighting in Prague does seem much less dynamic in appearance.

RetroStu

Banned
The crowd doesn't even look like some realistic motorsport spectators but like they took some pictures of people in an office. And the most people look even pissed.

Thats because they are, the guy in the black t-shirt for example is Dan the lead designer.
Obviously some kind of easter egg.

disap.ed

Let me ask everyone, would it have been worse if they kept the E3 graphics at say 900p or 720p ? I feel there was no win/win for turn10 in this scenario.

Can't speak for everyone of course ;) but I would definitely choose 720p with better lighting/shadows/textures.

Gestault

Watching the Eurogamer 1080p race-replay footage is pretty darned impressive. I'd love to see someone reconstruct the original reveal trailer using the final version of the game for the sake of comparison. That footage is worth the download, just to see what things would look like with the game on your own screen.

Download the Eurogamer direct feed and tell me with a straight face that the crowd didn't IMMEDIATELY look bad at the start of the race. Or during the replay video.

I did, i've been the one asking to refer to the DF footage. So yeah, it doesn't look great for all of about three seconds whilst i'm going out of my way to look at the crowd.
Can't speak for everyone of course ;) but I would definitely choose 720p with better lighting/shadows/textures.

720p with the 'upgrades' from E3 would have been a shit trade.

ITT: People moaning about a crowd they're going to be driving past at 150MPH.

Well... they WERE 3D. It's funny, that was the same excuse GT fans used for the 2D trees.

Anyway... we are on "next gen" consoles, it would be nice if they can make them at least crapily 3D.

KORNdoggy

ITT: People moaning about a crowd they're going to be driving past at 150MPH.

People tend to do this. I've seen people complain about trees and 2D crowds in GT5 too...granted i didn't expect to see 2D crowds in a next gen title, but alas, it's not the end of the world.

RetroStu

Banned
People tend to do this. I've seen people complain about trees and 2D crowds in GT5 too...granted i didn't expect to see 2D crowds in a next gen title, but alas, it's not the end of the world.

Neither did i but it would explain why there are so many more spectators than in the old build. I suppose if they did it so they could add a ton of spectators then so be it, you will hardly notice it anyway.

I think the problem is, is that we had them all running around claiming that everything is running real-time on Xbox One and almost final boxes and in addition the console has also had spec bumps since E3.

You would expect downgrades as it gets nearer to release if they're running on beefed up dev kits that are not 100% representative of retail units, but this, they claim, isn't the case here.

VanWinkle

Oh f*ck
this a big downgrade ;)

Forza
1080p/60fps - check
8/10 score - check
day one - check

=

angry sony fanboys in the thread - check

Ahhh so two examples of upgrades in an entire level chock full of spots that look downgraded means that it's been upgraded overall. Interesting logic, there.

stew

I never thought that the game would be like in the E3 trailer. I just watched the direct feed video at the same distance from the screen when I'm playing, and the game looks beautiful.

mocoworm

Game looks absolutely incredible and is a solid 60fps and 1080p, not only that it's getting amazing reviews on its gameplay.

I cannot believe the complaints in this thread.

Game looks absolutely incredible and is a solid 60fps and 1080p, not only that it's getting amazing reviews on its gameplay.

This isn't the review thread though. People are gonna nitpick tech in a tech thread.

Any game can hit 1080p/60fps, you just have to sacrifice graphics for it and it's showing right next to launch. This is a DF thread after all.

Damaniel

Banned
Oh f*ck
this a big downgrade ;)

Forza
1080p/60fps - check
8/10 score - check
day one - check

=

angry sony fanboys in the thread - check

Angry fanboys? Hardly - PS4 players have multiple 1080p/60 gaming options at launch. ;)

I think the main issue is that Forza was the 'last great hope' for anything running at 1080p/60 on Xbox One at launch, and now we find out that in order to get there, the devs pretty much had to drop or reduce the quality of tons of processing effects, avoid using dynamic lights or deferred rendering, and use 2D crowds (instead of 3D). Sure, the result looks pretty damn good in motion (especially the complete lack of frame drops), and if I had an Xbox One, I'd buy it in a second, but it lends credence to the rumors that ESRAM is going to be a hinderance to more advanced rendering techniques at 1080p going forward.

rokkerkory

Angry fanboys? Hardly - PS4 players have multiple 1080p/60 gaming options at launch. ;)

I think the main issue is that Forza was the 'last great hope' for anything running at 1080p/60 on Xbox One at launch, and now we find out that in order to get there, the devs pretty much had to drop or reduce the quality of tons of processing effects, avoid using dynamic lights or deferred rendering, and use 2D crowds (instead of 3D). Sure, the result looks pretty damn good in motion (especially the complete lack of frame drops), and if I had an Xbox One, I'd buy it in a second, but it lends credence to the rumors that ESRAM is going to be a hinderance to more advanced rendering techniques at 1080p going forward.

Do you remember what launch 360 games look like compared to mid and end of it's life? Games will only continue to look better and run and better on BOTH platforms.

\m/

Top Bottom