• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Consoles Sales predictions (PS4/XBox1/WiiU)

Goodlife

With all consoles now out, be interesting to see what people's predictions are for the gen.
Think everyone expects the PS4 to win, but by how much?

Can re-visit this thread in 5 years time, closest guess wins a coconut.

My prediction.

PS4: 95 mil
Xb1: 75 mil
WiiU: 35 mil

Metallix87

I'd say it's too soon to say anything, including that PS4 wins hands down. Once we have some post-Christmas data, we'll be able to properly estimate about how much each system will do. Wii U, unfortunately, has been out long enough for us to safely say, with it's current trajectory, it'll be lucky to hit Gamecube numbers.

Goodlife

I'd say it's too soon to say anything, including that PS4 wins hands down. Once we have some post-Christmas data, we'll be able to properly estimate about how much each system will do. Wii U, unfortunately, has been out long enough for us to safely say, with it's current trajectory, it'll be lucky to hit Gamecube numbers.

No coconut for you

Nozem

But "properly estimating" isn't fun.

edit: oh shit, you said 5 years:

PS4: 80M
X1: 60M
WiiU: 20M

Next Christmas will be the real test. The PS4/XB1 won't be stock-starved and they'll have had a year to carve their niche.

Copenap

With all consoles now out, be interesting to see what people's predictions are for the gen.
Think everyone expects the PS4 to win, but by how much?

Can re-visit this thread in 5 years time, closest guess wins a coconut.

My prediction.

PS4: 95 mil
Xb1: 75 mil
WiiU: 35 mil

Your WiiU prediction is the only one with a realistic chance if you want to revisit this thread in 5 years.

Copenap

Maybe, just don't see this gen being huge once the hype has died down.

And put your money where you mouth is?

Neither PS4 nor Xbone will come close to your numbers within 5 years but I will gladly eat crow ;)

More realistic would probably be PS4 70'ish and XBone 50'ish. (Keep in mind, 5 year view)

Edit: And that might be still to optimistic for the Xbone, but it's so hard to say without knowing whether there's gonna be a kinectless sku and how in general the prices will drop this time around with off the shelve components. If we see a ~250$ PS4 within 2-3 years things can off course explode.

coldone

This will be a far far longer cycle. With both PS4 and Xbone reaching $99 price range in 6 years.

10 years end:
PS4: 120M
Xbone: 100M

WiiU: 20M. only stays alive for another 4 years. Gets a refresh on 2017. May be another AMD APU based console.

Not sure for PS4 or Wii U, but I'll make a (kind of) bold prediction for XB One and say that it will either be dicontinued or owned by a different company by E3 2016.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
PS4: 100 gazzilions
Xbone: 100 sensillions
Wii U: 100 bombillions

KOHIPEET

PS4: 60
X1: 25-30
WIIU: 15-20

PS4 will dominate, no question but I think less consoles will be sold overall than this gen.

PS4: 135 millions
Xbox One: 80 millions
Wii U: 15 millions

Back when the WiiU was launched I expected it to have a low start, but that also applied to the so called "next gen" because as it's been made obvious, the graphical leap is not even close to what it had been on the previous generational leaps.

But the market has spoken, PS4 has had the best launch on the entire PS history, XBO has had the best launch on the entire Xbox history, and WiiU has had the WORST launch on the entire Nintendo history.

The market doesn't want a console that at this point I even doubt will be able to achieve graphics comparable to those seen on the best PS3/Xbox 360 games, and not because the console won't be able to do that but because no one gives a shit about it, except for Nintendo and their seconds.

Even at 300, you're buying a hardware between 10 and 20 times less powerful than what the competence is offering, and this time the gamepad won't compensate that (even when I truly think that). Even if with a more modern feature set, third partys have completely abandoned the ship.
Ubisoft is the only one that has given it an opportunity with games like AC4 that are still a decent port, but seeing how even the PS4 and XBO versions of the game are selling an order of magnitude more than the WiiU version this will be the last year we see any third party title released for the system.

I'm worried because Nintendo represents the gaming philosophies I think would be the best for the industry instead of pursuing the casual "I want graphics explosions and bloooooddddd" crowd, but as it's been demonstrated, this is what the market wants and you won't be able to compete in those terms with 1/10 their graphical output.

Yanikun

Banned
5 years, lifetime, or by the time the next generation hits?

By the time the next generation hits, I see the Wii U at 33 million, Xbox One at 68 million, and PS4 at 95 million.

5 years? I'm gonna go:

PS4: 50-60m
Wii U: 15-20
Xbone: 40-50m

Don't think any of them will match even PS3/360 numbers this past gen. Would be pleasantly surprised if wrong though.

FDC1

In 5 years?

PS4 85M
X1 45M, next Xbox will be announced
WiiU 20M, next Nintendo console will already be released

frizby

PS4: 100M

Hits a perfect note in every region. Great price point. Powerful enough to remain relevant for 5-6 years.

XB1: 40M

Will play reasonably well in US and UK. High price point. Limited hardware will feel dated in the short term and antiquated in 2-3 years. People like remotes and don't like repeating themselves.

WiiU: 20M

People like Nintendo games to enough to sell about what the Gamecube did. Will be a second console for many. Underpowered. Controller is an unmitigated disaster.

LifEndz

Assuming MS continues to include Kinect in every box and doesn't eat the cost, I think it'll be:

1) WiiU 45 million
2) X1 60 million
3) PS4 100 million

Yanikun

Banned
Wow at some people expecting 100+ million.

I think the OP didn't mean to say how much will they have sold in five years, but how I much will they eventually sell and people may come back in five years to see who's probably going to be right and who was way wrong. I don't expect my numbers to be there in five years, but I expect them by the time their successors hit the market (so, pretty much, like looking at PS3/360/Wii numbers right now).

RaikuHebi

Banned
Wow at some people expecting 100+ million.

Let us dream of the King's Return.

atv.gif

xandaca

PS4: 100m
XBox One: 90m
Wii U: 10-15m

Don't see Nintendo keeping the Wii U around very long unless sales massively improve - which they almost certainly won't without an unexpected killer app, and Nintendo aren't good at surprises anymore - so I'd be surprised if it did over 10m to be honest. 15m is possible, but I definitely wouldn't go any higher at this point. Also worth noting that the Wii U has been tracking sub-Dreamcast numbers at this point.

As for the higher estimates for X1 and PS4, this generation is almost certain to last a very long time for Sony and Microsoft, so I'd bank on them beating this generation's numbers by sheer persistence.

I think the wii u demise is very premature. Lets see how much of a bump super mario gives it. there are several games i'm looking forward to on wii u....especially the Xenoblade sequel due out next year.

Top Bottom