• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Japanese-only PSN games?

dock

Which Japanese PSN games do you think are the most interesting?
These can be Vita, PS3, PSone, TG16 or any of the other platforms supported on PSN.

A few of my favourites:

Bomberman 94. - TG16 game
This is a PC-Engine game, which is also available on the Wii, but it's the second best version of multiplayer Bomberman that you can get, and by far the most comfortable and convenient to play with 5 wireless Dual Shock controllers.
(The best Bomberman game is
Saturn Bomberman
, of course)

Loopcube Lup Salad - PS1 game
This is also available on the US PSN as an import, but it's very much Japanese. It's an amazing block pushing game and I had a great time completing its many, many levels.

Robbit Mon Dieu (aka Jumping Flash 3) - PS1 game
Inexplicably the third Jumping Flash game has lots and lots of voice acting and cutscenes. It's probably for this reason that it didn't get a western release. Still, lots of Jumping Flash goodness.

Any other favourites?

Yes Boss!

Spelunker HD in japan has all the EX stages for download (never released in the rest of the world).

M2's awesome Spelunker Collection is only on J-PSN.

There is also the PSN version of R-Type Dimensions...identical to the 360 version released in the rest if the world.

For PC-Engine: Valis, Gate and Lords of Thunder.

SuperGrafx: Aldynes.

PS1 Classics: Adventures of Little Ralph, Einhander.

Theses are probably all my favorites.

robot

Had no idea there was a 3rd Jumping Flash - think it's time to buy a PSN card.

How much do games generally go for? Might grab Little Ralph too.

nyarla

Neo Member
Two ps1 games I love which heavily feature fish:

Umihara Kawase - that weirdo platformer with fish for enemies and really cool bouncy fishing line grapple rope mechanics. edit: a thing I love about this is how there are multiple exit doors on each level - of varying difficulties to reach - making for different paths through the game.

playstation-38583-21318105928.png

G-Darius - beautiful, colourful, psychedelic, aquatic-(except-in-space) themed shmup. also has multiple paths through levels, and even branching paths within some levels. and you can capture enemies with capture balls and get them to help you!

playstation-31332-21312008574.png

Also the very interesting, but not exactly FUN, game LSD Dream Emulator - Awesomely strange and dreamlike. Worth a look if you love grainy, low poly weirdness. Doesn't have as many fish in it as the first two but does have a few!

tumblr_mv3irkqGyk1qg0odpo4_1280.png

Shengar

Also the very interesting, but not exactly FUN, game LSD Dream Emulator - Awesomely strange and dreamlike. Worth a look if you love grainy, low poly weirdness. Doesn't have as many fish in it as the first two but does have a few!

tumblr_mv3irkqGyk1qg0odpo4_1280.png

Wow, this is something you usually read in books, or watch in movie/anime.
It's really....weird, in a good way.

Money Idol Exchanger (PS1)

Horribly addictive puzzle game where you match various coins together to change them up to higher amounts and eventually clear them. It's also on the US PSN store as a JP import, but sadly it isn't available in Europe or the rest of the world. The Giant Bomb guys played it on their MVS Mania stream so you can get a good look at the gameplay in the archive of that.

dock

Some excellent suggestions! I didn't realise Money Idol and Umihara Kawase were up.

I wonder why R-Type Dimensions isn't available elsewhere. I should pick this up, as I never did on 360 (haven't plugged my 360 in for a while).

dock

Had no idea there was a 3rd Jumping Flash - think it's time to buy a PSN card.

How much do games generally go for? Might grab Little Ralph too.
Japanese PSone games cost about 600 yen IIRC, which is about $5. Similar price to other territories.

Tizoc

Some excellent suggestions! I didn't realise Money Idol and Umihara Kawase were up.

I wonder why R-Type Dimensions isn't available elsewhere. I should pick this up, as I never did on 360 (haven't plugged my 360 in for a while).

R-type DIMENSions will switch to english menus if played on an english PSn account on your PS3.

Atomsky

Banned
まいにさいっよ
Mainichi isshyo

You may never understand the love in this one...

meppi

is twinkle star sprites on PSN? i am waiting for this to come to VC, PSN or anything... T.T

Sadly no. I really wish the PS2 version was up at least.
Have the import DVD, but still would buy it digitally.

Great choices so far. :)

One that's certainly missing from this thread it Ore no Ryouri.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Sadly no. I really wish the PS2 version was up at least.
Have the import DVD, but still would buy it digitally.

Great choices so far. :)

One that's certainly missing from this thread it Ore no Ryouri.

I wish that more PS2 games were up for that matter. Since personally have zero interest in gaikai and would rather have DD copies of the huge PS2 library thats out there. Granted I own a ton of the stuff physically doesnt mean I want to go digging it out of boxes to play on my PS3...

I seriously think one of the main reasons for not many up is that they want to keep it all for Gaikai which if thats the case I say is bullshit.

Yes Boss!

I am actually shocked it never made Virtual Console, D4 was pumping out Neo Geo stuff far after most people cared.

D4 did actually release it in Japan a couple years back on Virtual Console. Just one of those titles (like Pulstar and Blazing Star) that just did not make it over sadly.

Parakeetman

For those who like dungeon crawlers on the PSP section of the JP PSN there is

To Heart 2 Dungeon Travelers

and

Dungeon Travelers 2

Granted you might see pretty chicks and get turned off, but as a hardcore wizardry type of game fans, the games are quite solid. The second one Id suggest over the first if you had to pick between the two.

meppi

Harmful Park is an awesome and extremely rare PS1 shmup. It was free on Plus but I'm not sure if it's on there anymore.

http://www.destructoid.com/it-came-from-japan-harmful-park-209552.phtml

boss.gif

When picking this up, just be sure to put it on hard difficulty as the normal one is a bit too easy I feel.

And since we're talking about shoot em ups, don't forget Dodonpachi and Strikers 1945 II.
Also Galaga 88 is tons of fun on the PC-Engine.
And even though these might not be top shooters, I do really love Xevious 3DG+ (not for the 3D game though) and Gaia Seed.

I really enjoyed Dark Mist - it came out on the EU store as well, but the 'Depths of Darkness' expansion was only ever released on the JP & HK stores. The game's a mix of an action adventure dungeon crawler and a twin stick shoot-em-up, sort of Zelda-like (certainly in puzzle design), but with more of a focus on enemy patterns and bullet avoidance. The expansion is definitely worth getting, as it adds a bunch of new levels and three more playable characters.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The Last Ranker is a really great PSP RPG with a unique leveling and combat system. Basically you work your way up the ladder amongst many other fighters.

meppi

Almost bought that last week...but ran out of points on my 3000 yen card. Next time!

My favourite one is probably Xevious Fardraut Saga on PC-Engine, although the arcade version is an insta-purchuse for me on whatever system it's released, but that's not on PSN yet.

I have 9000 yen left on my card since I don't know what to buy first.
Well and having way too many games to play though as it is already. Still haven't opened Tearaway and only played an hour of Link Between Worlds even though ALTTP is probably my favourite game ever...
So much good stuff has been coming out lately.

I've been contemplating getting a Japanese PS+ account with it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it on top of my EU one. Really want to buy a ton of PSP games I missed out on as well, but they are quite expensive on the Japanese store.
So far I've only bought Gunhound Ex, but I have the Spelunker games in my basket right now. The 2400yen pack gives you everything, correct?

Too bad the Spelunker Collection isn't cross-buy, but it seems that if you buy one version, you can get the other version for half price.

Yes Boss!

My favourite one is probably Xevious Fardraut Saga on PC-Engine, although the arcade version is an insta-purchuse for me on whatever system it's released, but that's not on PSN yet.

I have 9000 yen left on my card since I don't know what to buy first.
Well and having way too many games to play though as it is already. Still haven't opened Tearaway and only played an hour of Link Between Worlds even though ALTTP is probably my favourite game ever...
So much good stuff has been coming out lately.

I've been contemplating getting a Japanese PS+ account with it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it on top of my EU one. Really want to buy a ton of PSP games I missed out on as well, but they are quite expensive on the Japanese store.
So far I've only bought Gunhound Ex, but I have the Spelunker games in my basket right now. The 2400yen pack gives you everything, correct?

Too bad the Spelunker Collection isn't cross-buy, but it seems that if you buy one version, you can get the other version for half price.

Hmm, not sure about the Spelunker HD pack. I've only got the US release.

Good on clearing up the Spelunker Collection. I saw it was for Vita but could not figure it out. It is a great (and fairly inexpensive) set for the PS3 but I'm definitely gonna get it for the Vita if that is available.

Damn, you've got Gunhound playable on your Vita. Jealous! I've only got the physical and my Vita is a US account. Will be getting a 2000 next year for my japanese content.

I went on bit of a tear last week and got a ton of M2 stuff: Gunstar Treasure Box, Spelunker Collection, Galaxy Force Collection.

Wanted the Xevious 3DG+ and Super Pang Collecton but ran out of funds. I do think of Super Pang as a PC-Engine CD (one of my favorites back in the day) game but was curious about the PS1 set.

meppi

Hmm, not sure about the Spelunker HD pack. I've only got the US release.

Good on clearing up the Spelunker Collection. I saw it was for Vita but could not figure it out. It is a great (and fairly inexpensive) set for the PS3 but I'm definitely gonna get it for the Vita if that is available.

Damn, you've got Gunhound playable on your Vita. Jealous! I've only got the physical and my Vita is a US account. Will be getting a 2000 next year for my japanese content.

I went on bit of a tear last week and got a ton of M2 stuff: Gunstar Treasure Box, Spelunker Collection, Galaxy Force Collection.

Wanted the Xevious 3DG+ and Super Pang Collecton but ran out of funds. I do think of Super Pang as a PC-Engine CD (one of my favorites back in the day) game but was curious about the PS1 set.
Well, the description of the 2400yen pack says: Minna de Spelunker All-in-One Pack. So it makes sense that all the DLC would be included.
Although the game separately is 1200yen and the DLC pack is 1200yen as well so I'm not sure what's the deal of getting the All in one pack for the same price.

The content page is a bit about my manage skills, but after putting parts of it through a translator, it seems that even if you purchase this 2400yen pack and then buy the Spelunker Collection on either Vita or PS3 at a "special price". Guessing that's also 50% off.

Got a great deal on a second Vita. Killzone physical bundel since I wanted to game on card as well instead of just a code. Got it for not even €180 of amazon a while ago, so I have one for my main EU account and a second one for my Japanese account now. :)

Super Pang Collection is really good. My first Pang was the Super Nintendo one back in the day.
Really love Pang 3, even though I'm not too fond of the overall art style. But it's the gameplay that matters. Has some great music though.
Really want the Gunstar Treasure Box and Galaxy Force one as well as they seem to be done with lots of love.

Don't forget Virtual On arcade as I don't believe it has been released in the west.
Neither has Virtua Stiker I think.
Really wish they would put the PS2 version of Sega Rally on there, or even better, port the arcade version.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Interested in the M2 Spelunker set....how do you search for it on the store?

And it's for Vita as well, right?

Yes Boss!

Don't forget Virtual On arcade as I don't believe it has been released in the west. Neither has Virtua Stiker I think.
Really wish they would put the PS2 version of Sega Rally on there, or even better, port the arcade version.

Oh yeah, got those. I think I got them for the 360 since that machine is better in my HD cab. There is the Viruta On Mars PS2 which I still need to get. As well as that Psvariar Complete. I've a short list of about $50 worth of stuff to get. Just added Jumping Flash 3 as I did not know that was on there till this thread!

But I only go J-PSN shopping once every few months so it will have to be next quarter.

The Spelunker HD game is one of the best hidden secrets on PSN. Just love that game.

meppi

If the link works, this should give you all the games. But you have to be logged in with your Japanese account.
I use Safari for my EU account and Firefox for my Japanese one so I can stay logged in on both on my laptop.

Otherwise, search for スペランカー

Oh yeah, got those. I think I got them for the 360 since that machine is better in my HD cab. There is the Viruta On Mars PS2 which I still need to get. As well as that Psvariar Complete. I've a short list of about $50 worth of stuff to get. Just added Jumping Flash 3 as I did not know that was on there till this thread!

But I only go J-PSN shopping once every few months so it will have to be next quarter.

The Spelunker HD game is one of the best hidden secrets on PSN. Just love that game.
Well, I just bought the complete set. :)

I had those Sega arcade games on 360 as well as they were released, but as I switched back to PS3 for my main console after all the DRM mess, I bought them again on PSN. ;)

Be sure to give Gundam Breaker a try as well, even though the demo doesn't do the final game justice at all.
I loved this game so much that I ordered the Vita version as well, but it's being held up in customs right now, so I hope I'll have it in a week or so and don't have to pay 150% tax again. :(

Yes Boss!

It is in the main PS3 pane. You need to get to one where it list games by genre starting with "RPG:"

68321F99-F622-49A5-990E-6180E8693E5B.jpg

Pick the second one just under RPG (it will have batman at the start icon). Then scroll down on that page...about half-way down:

940D3636-9965-45E1-93E1-6F25DCEDACA5.jpg

randomkid

Surprised no one has mentioned that Sega Classics Phantasy Star Collection for PS2. You can even switch it to English. Probably the best value of anything on Japanese PSN, I still need to pick it up.

mattiewheels

Thanks for the help Yes Boss! Too bad the Vita makes it a real pain to play games from different regions.

Parakeetman

For those who love SRPGs get and I mean GET Summon Night 3 & 4. Its in the PSP section.

I preferred 3 a bit more than 4, but 4 streamlined the characters a bit as for some it was overwhelming how many were in 3. While not totally some things of 3 go into 4. Mainly characters, so if you plan on getting both or which to start with indeed go with 3 first.

Both are fantastic games with great characters though.

34.jpg

Also STAY AWAY from 5. Im waving all you people off now as I bought that game and highly regret it since its shit. They really should not have gone the 3d route which effected the overall quality of things with gameplay. Worst one in the series, regardless of how nice the characters look. Really pissed me off considering am a long time fan of the series.

cj_iwakura

For those who love SRPGs get and I mean GET Summon Night 3 & 4. Its in the PSP section.

I preferred 3 a bit more than 4, but 4 streamlined the characters a bit as for some it was overwhelming how many were in 3. While not totally some things of 3 go into 4. Mainly characters, so if you plan on getting both or which to start with indeed go with 3 first.

Both are fantastic games with great characters though.

34.jpg

Also STAY AWAY from 5. Im waving all you people off now as I bought that game and highly regret it since its shit. They really should not have gone the 3d route which effected the overall quality of things with gameplay. Worst one in the series, regardless of how nice the characters look. Really pissed me off considering am a long time fan of the series.

Funny that Atlus never localized a mainline game.

Top Bottom