• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Screenshots

Endless

New Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor screenshots now available

The Black Gates are infiltrated by Sauron’s army, murdering all in their path. Talion revives from the grave having lost all he holds dear, denied the peace of death… why did he survive?

Today, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Monolith Productions release five new screenshots and concept art for recently announced Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor.

These assets include screenshots and concept art that showcase

• Talion - Players take the form of Talion, a ranger who loses his family and everything he holds dear, only to be returned from death by a mysterious Spirit of vengeance.
Mordor

• Mordor - Set between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor begins on the night of Sauron’s return to Mordor, throwing the region into turmoil.

• Nemesis System - Discover a powerful and dynamic next-gen gameplay mechanic that allows players’ actions to shape enemy relationships and characteristics, creating personal and unique stories and gameplay arcs that remain persistent even after death.

• Wraith abilities - Players command Wraith Powers to orchestrate and execute their vengeance to outwit enemies, infiltrate the ranks, and dominate within an adaptive world.

• Melee combat - A multitude of enemies will require different tactics, encouraging the player to advance their skills, abilities and weapons to become legendary through a system of rune rewards crafted according to the player's strategy.

About the game

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor delivers a dark story of retribution as players will assume the role of Talion, a ranger who loses everything on the night of Sauron's return to Mordor. As Talion's personal vendetta unfolds, players uncover the mystery of the Spirit that compels him, discover the origin of the Rings of Power and confront the ultimate nemesis.

With a dynamic next-gen game environment powered by the Nemesis System, players orchestrate their personal plan of vengeance as they bend Mordor to their will; ensuring a unique experience to all players. Every enemy players face is a unique individual, differentiated by their personality, strengths and weaknesses.

Enemy encounters create personal archenemies specific to every gameplay session. Players must outthink each distinctively different enemy to infiltrate the ranks and dominate within the dynamic world that remembers and adapts to their actions and choices.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will be available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows PC.

marrec

Banned
Maybe if I pretend this is just some generic action fantasy game I'll get more excited for it.

Also, Mordor looks super brown.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
his face looks exactly like kili from desolation of smaug lol

especially in the first screenshot

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The 3 screenshots look kinda of bad. Monolith was never that good with graphics.

but I'm still hyped for this.

TimFL

So this is open-world in Mordor only? When do they give us an open-world Middle Earth game with a similar playstyle to elder scrolls?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I have never seen someone look this relaxed and expressionless while he's fucking hacking away at orcs with his sword for dear fucking life.

Respawn

Banned
Just watched the Hobbit last Friday and Im hyped for this.
I have never seen someone look this relaxed and expressionless while he's fucking hacking away at orcs with his sword for dear fucking life.

lol you should read. He is back from the grave and has wraith powers. There are no expressions to make just dead orcs to count.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just watched the Hobbit last Friday and Im hyped for this.

lol you should read. He is back from the grave and has wraith powers. There are no expressions to make just dead orcs to count.

I'm pretty sure the wraiths from the movies and books did a little more than stare blankly into the distance while they were decapitating and slaughtering their enemies.

Then again, what do I care. It just looks silly.

Hurley

Given the pile of dead Orcs he's already standing on I'd say he's probably feeling pretty good about the situation.

Milennia

The story sounds like something i would be interested in for sure.
Screens look nice as well.
Something off about that last picture though, his face seems sort of.. Meh, like he gives no shits.

Edit : beaten on the facial expression

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The 3 screenshots look kinda of bad. Monolith was never that good with graphics.

but I'm still hyped for this.

49658-johnny-depp-ed-woo3o.gif

li bur

I am super hyped for this. But I am also worried at the same time, since this is sounds so molyneux-esque.

Hold me GAF

glaurung

I can deduce nothing from these bullshots and artwork.

The protagonist's facial features lack personality. Fuze effect.

yencid

Playing through war in the north right now and thats actually a pretty decent experience so im interested in more LOTR

Loxley

Looks gorgeous. Although I think the main character's design is a tad dull - still think the concept is intriguing.

thefil

Everything except the basic premise of the story sounds awful. I wish they didn't have to go "dark" and "gritty". Everything about the copy feels tonally wrong for LOTR.

Jharp

Nemesis system sounded so goddamn rad in the GI article, and I try to be optimistic about game promises (which gets harder and harder every year), but I have such little faith in them pulling it off to the level that they claim they will.

I would love to be wrong about this, but the best I'm hoping for is that it works half as well as they want it to, and another developer refines it in the new generation.

was also disappointed to hear the combat would be similar to the Arkham games. I dig the Arkharm games, but when the hell is a game going to ape Demon's/Dark Souls combat? It's seemingly perfect for a game like this.

Sentenza

I am super hyped for this. But I am also worried at the same time, since this is sounds so molyneux-esque.

Hold me GAF
I'm still under the impression that this"Nemesis system" they are promoting so much is just a bullshit PR nickname to describe some sort of level scaling.

marrec

Banned
Everything except the basic premise of the story sounds awful. I wish they didn't have to go "dark" and "gritty". Everything about the copy feels tonally wrong for LOTR.

Yuup, feels like they're trying to force Middle Earth to be Dragon Age.

Carcetti

I like how the plot sounds absolutely nothing like LotR stuff. Magic super powers might fly in Silmarillion Tolkien game but here it just clashes with the tone of the book.

To be fair they are probably exactly that, they just want to show people their vision and how the game is shaping up.

Of course they're just that. But the whole goal of releasing screenshots is to make then not seem like that. It's their chance to carve emotion into their characters' faces with absolute discretion and make a good impression.

Maybe if I pretend this is just some generic action fantasy game I'll get more excited for it.

Also, Mordor looks super brown.
It's Mordor. What color palette are you expecting.
Nemesis systems /sounds/ good on paper, but... I'll reserve my hype until we see more.

Jharp

While modern Monolith might be quite mediocre, this just isn't right at all. Games like No One Lives Forever and FEAR looked amazing for their time.

No One Lives Forever 2 was stellar in its day, and still holds up thanks to its fantastic art design.

Top Bottom