• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 Multiplayer Mod |OT|

iNvid02

What is JC2 MP?

TLDR: Multiplayer Mod for Just Cause 2. Been around for a while through alpha/beta testing, but finally comes out today (16/12/2013)

Video Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtOwWoOiggc&feature=player_embedded

Over two years ago we set out to turn Just Cause 2 into a multiplayer game. During the course of the two months we spent working on JC2-MP, we were met with many obstacles - which at the time felt impossible to conquer. For the last month we've been working in secret to achieve those goals, with great success. Over the coming months, our aim is to polish the current build to a state that can be released to the public. Contrary to popular conspiracies, we were not shut down by Avalanche Studios. Nor did we intentionally delete our source code to inhibit further growth. The source at the time was extremely unstable and volatile. However this time around, we have squashed all obstacles encountered thus far.

Download it through Steam as free add-on DLC by clicking below

What are the objectives?

There are none. Collectively admire Panau, fuck shit up or anything else you can come up with.

Where is the cheapest place to buy Just Cause 2?

Its been on sale dozens of times for as cheap as £2.50/$2.50 but right now it's the Steam promo (80% off until 19/12/2013)

Other places to purchase a steam key from are listed here

How do i obtain the server version of the mod?

The mod includes everything you need to setup a server. Follow the instructions here
You can view the list of servers available here

old thread

Dommel

I'm kicking myself for not buying JC2 in one of the sales because I really want to try this mod but not for €15.

BigDug13

I'm kicking myself for not buying JC2 in one of the sales because I really want to try this mod but not for €15.

Hopefully it will be on Wintersale next week, can't wait to try this.

Game was way worth it before this mod ever existed, so not sure why people hesitated when it was only a couple bucks.

Hopefully it will be on Wintersale next week, can't wait to try this.

It'll probably be like $2 next week.

Played about half an hour and this may be the dumbest and greatest thing made. And it runs incredibly well.

Um I may be dumb but where is the download button? I'm on the steam page for it but there's nothing to click to start the download or anything and it's not listed under DLCs

Dommel

Game was way worth it before this mod ever existed, so not sure why people hesitated when it was only a couple bucks.

I already owned it on PS3 and put so many hours in it didnt really see the reason to double dip (even with PC mods).

But this one is definitely worth getting it cheap like the OP mentioned.

border

I am very interested.

I also can't help but think this will be like GTA Online -- awesome looking in trailers where everyone is doing coordinated group stuff, but a dull and janky mess in the real world.

iNvid02

Um I may be dumb but where is the download button? I'm on the steam page for it but there's nothing to click to start the download or anything and it's not listed under DLCs

steam having issues putting it out there atm

Steam is having issues pushing the mod to everyone who owns JC2. We're in contact with them and they are working to resolve it. It'll show up in your library automatically. Please wait!

jokkir

So ready for this. I remember playing one of the tests and everyone spawning at the airport and all hell was breaking loose. That was great.

I remember joining in on one of the Alphas (or Betas, whatever). It was pure chaos, but I hated that we couldn't truly interact with each other, as in, if I blew up a building, no one else saw that happen. Is that still the case here? Trailer didn't show anything related to building destruction so I assume so. I think the problem is basically impossible to resolve within the way the game is written (or, that's what I recall them saying) but I'm just curious.

AJLma

Played with 700 people online the other night.

It's different from GTA online in that the chaos and progression system is actually a bit of fun. You lose what you buy as soon as you die, but that's part of what makes it addicting for me.

This is the type of thing that I'll hop on for 30 minutes at a time when I just want some random fun.

Ketch

I checked out their site, but I couldn't figure out who these guys are... just some random at home modders? It's pretty impressive, avalanche (and every other studio too) should maybe consider giving these guys a job.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I remember the times I played in the beta when the server had 1,000 people.

I went to the airport to pick up an airplane and it was absolute chaos. If you tried to fly the large commercial plane you lived for a few seconds because it would get shot down so fast.

Elija2

I bought JC2 during the Autumn Sale just so I could play the multiplayer mod when it releases. I've barely even played the actual game though. I guess I should do that before hopping into multiplayer?

Tan

I bought JC2 during the Autumn Sale just so I could play the multiplayer mod when it releases. I've barely even played the actual game though. I guess I should do that before hopping into multiplayer?

The game's good but nah, you don't need to.

It takes an hour or two to get familiar with the grapple and parachute mechanics in the game, so it might be worth it to do a little practice lap in the singleplayer. Once you understand how to move quickly by 'slingshotting', traversing the island becomes a lot faster and more fun. This is useful because the island is fucking HUUUUUUUGE.

EDIT: Also yes, the singleplayer is pretty fun, so it doesn't hurt to check it out regardless of the multiplayer

Rich!

Been playing the multiplayer for a few days now. It's joyously chaotic.

With this, Just Cause 2's position as one of the greatest games of last gen is cemented. It's fucking amazing.

Wag

Hopefully they're paying attention and we get multiplayer functionality built into JC3. This is just wild.

KHlover

Banned
I wonder how many copies of Just Cause 2 this mod sold? Almost literally during each beta this game was on sale :D

I wish the DLC was on sale. Right now it's cheaper to buy the whole Just Cause pack than it is to buy the DLC pack for Just Cause 2.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Are there any full games that capture the essence of this mod? Complete madness in a sandbox world with thousands of players?

Downloaded, I'm surprised it show up as it's own game link in steam. Imagine a Dayz mod in JC2.

I like where your head is at. Too bad the game would have to be pretty much be annihilated to get those kind of mechanics in there.

This gonna be good sexy time after finals!

Top Bottom