• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's Best Video Games of 2013 List (Top 10 list)

Cheddahz

Banned
Pretty decent list that includes a good number of overlooked games, I approve of it

Amazon's Top 10 Games of 2013

10) Ni no Kuni
9) Super Mario 3D World
8) Divekick
7) Rayman Legends
6) Bioshock Infinite
5) Grand Theft Auto V
4) Tearaway
3) The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
2) Rogue Legacy
1) The Last of Us

Honorable Mentions:
Tomb Raider
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Metro Last Light
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Gunpoint
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine
Gone Home
Papers, Please
DOTA 2

Thanks to Avallon for posting this in the thread, it seems as if Amazon is holding a trade in promotion towards any of these games!
Note from the Editors - How We Selected Our Top 10 Video Games for 2013

It’s that time of year again when we take a look back at the most exciting and engaging games of the year. We quickly narrowed it down to around 40 games. Then we discussed the merits of including DLC, Episodic games, and re-released titles and decided to choose from new complete games. Once these guidelines were set, we debated over our finalist and narrowed it down to the 10 titles we most appreciated. After we had this list, each gamer ranked the titles. We tallied up the votes and the Amazon.com Best of 2013 list was born as well as the 2013 Game of the Year, The Last of Us. In addition to our ranked list we wanted to include some other titles that we believe should be recognized as stand out titles for the year as well. Take a look and let us know what you think. That’s not all. We want to hear what your favorite games of the year are. Head over to our Facebook page to vote on your favorite games of 2013. Once voting ends, we will feature our fan favorites on this page and see how they compare to our list.

Plus, if you want to pick up one of our Editor’s Picks, don’t forget to trade in the games you’ve already finished for Amazon.com gift cards in the Video Games Trade-In Store. For a limited time we’re offering a $10 bonus toward our Best of 2013 when you trade in $10 worth of video games and gear. Learn more here.

Avallon

Note from the Editors - How We Selected Our Top 10 Video Games for 2013

It’s that time of year again when we take a look back at the most exciting and engaging games of the year. We quickly narrowed it down to around 40 games. Then we discussed the merits of including DLC, Episodic games, and re-released titles and decided to choose from new complete games. Once these guidelines were set, we debated over our finalist and narrowed it down to the 10 titles we most appreciated. After we had this list, each gamer ranked the titles. We tallied up the votes and the Amazon.com Best of 2013 list was born as well as the 2013 Game of the Year, The Last of Us. In addition to our ranked list we wanted to include some other titles that we believe should be recognized as stand out titles for the year as well. Take a look and let us know what you think. That’s not all. We want to hear what your favorite games of the year are. Head over to our Facebook page to vote on your favorite games of 2013. Once voting ends, we will feature our fan favorites on this page and see how they compare to our list.

Plus, if you want to pick up one of our Editor’s Picks, don’t forget to trade in the games you’ve already finished for Amazon.com gift cards in the Video Games Trade-In Store. For a limited time we’re offering a $10 bonus toward our Best of 2013 when you trade in $10 worth of video games and gear. Learn more here.

Rich!

That's...the best list yet. Zelda deserves to be higher than GTAV, as it's quite simply the better game.

Approved!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
DIVEKICK?
I had fun with it but it doesn't belong on this list. Since these lists are a cluster fuck of mixed genres, I'd say Splinter Cell Blacklist deserves the spot instead.

Codeblue

This is the final argument in the debate over video games as art. The argument against was already pretty thin, but when faced with a game as rich in characterization and pathos as The Last of Us, it vanishes completely. Ellie and Joel are two of the most well-rounded, human characters in modern popular fiction. Both are shaped by a constant existential threat, which is heightened by the game's precarious mechanics and rich, reactive gameplay. The blend of quality cinematic storytelling, a compelling plot and characters, and tight control mechanics clinches The Last of Us the best game of 2013 spot, securing its place in history.

Congrats to Last of Us for winning an online retailers game of the year, thus securing its place in history.

Did Sessler write this?

Glass Rebel

I did not expect Rogue Legacy, Divekick or Ni No Kuni. I've only played the former (and it's good) but this is still cool.

graywolf323

the OP should have the 10 honorable mentions too

Tomb Raider
Metro Last Light
Gunpoint
Gone Home
Papers, Please
DOTA 2

Cheddahz

Banned
the OP should have the 10 honorable mentions too

Tomb Raider
Metro Last Light
Gunpoint
Gone Home
Papers, Please
DOTA 2

I'll add them to the OP as well, thanks!

TEH GHIBLI.

The game sucked. Shouldn't be in any top 10 other than TOP 10 Disappointments of 2013.

image.php

Eusis

It's nice of you to remind him what the biggest disappointment for him was
Admittedly I do think anyone familiar with Level 5 games beyond just DQVIII and maybe Dark Cloud 2 should have seen this coming from far away, if it weren't for that Wizard's Edition I'd have gladly waited but that book was something I really wanted.

Well, I was kind of expecting the worst for Bioshock Infinite anyway. Still, Level 5 was just being Level 5, whereas we know Irrational games and Ken Levine are capable of far more but went too far in a typical shooter direction, and unlike JRPGs we aren't starving for options for those on consoles.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
For those curious, Amazon JP's list, though this is based on sales only I suppose.

1. Monster Hunter 4 (3DS)
2. Animal Crossing (3DS)
3. Pokemon X (3DS)
4. GTAV (PS3)
5. Pokemon Y (3DS)
6. DQVII (3DS)
7. Jojo's ASB (PS3) (lol)
8. Tomodachi Collection: New Life (3DS)
9. Yakuza 5 (PS3)
10. Ace Attorney 5 (3DS)

~ ~ ~

11. Metal Gear Rising (PS3)
12. Luigi Mansion 2 (3DS)
13. The Last of Us (PS3)
14. SMT IV (3DS)
15. AKB1/149 (PSP)
16. Hatsune Miku Project Diva F (PS3)
17. New SMB U (WiiU)
18. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 (PS3)
19. God Eater 2 (Vita)
20. Gundam Breaker (PS3)

atomsk

Party Pooper
While I don't agree with some of the order, I do like most of this list + honorable mentions.

Personally I would have switched Ni No Kuni with SMTIV and gotten Puppeteer in there somehow, but otherwise it's pretty good.

Top Bottom