• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas is almost here, it's tamale time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastry

Banned
bucket_of_tamales_small.jpg

In about a weeks time I'm going to be sitting at the table for Christmas dinner ignoring every food that isn't tamales. My grandmother and aunt make a huge batch every year, what type depends on if anyone in the family has gone hunting recently. Homemade pork tamales from a recently killed hog are just about the greatest thing ever.

What type of tamales are your favorites? Does your family make them or do you purchase them from an old lady your family knows?

This sounds like a delicious tradition. It's one my family has never undertaken, however.

I'll begin lobbying for it immediately, as tamales are like Twinkies made of far better things.

alterno69

Banned
Well, here(Mexico) we eat tamales often so no tamales on Christmas dinner, only "fancy" shit like turkey and stuff.

Paskil

My favorite local restaurant was selling them by the dozen for $14.50. They normally charge $6 for two with rice and beans. I got a dozen with some type of green pork. So fucking delicious, they were gone by the next night and I hated myself so much, lol. This places pastor tacos could probably vaguely compete with some of those fancy trucks you lucky bastards have out west and down south.

TylerD

Coworker took orders for tamales before Thanksgiving and he is doing it again this week. $8 a dozen and they are amazing. Really good size.

I got a dozen hot\pork, dozen chicken, dozen chile con queso. Have 6 left. They freeze and then reheat in a microwave surprisingly well. Just heat them in the freezer bags that you store them (4 per bag for me) in and they stay moist and delicious.

He only picked up 90 dozen last time he went lol.

studyguy

Fuck, I always take some home and end up with a shitload of them for a week.
Seriously though, this is like a tradition with the family that they all come to one house and the aunts make them together with the kids while the uncles all go into the garage, drink and play poker.

As a kid you play with the other kids, make a tamale if you're small enough, but otherwise do dumb shit with your cousins. If you're a girl you eventually grow old enough to lounge with the older girls who eventually get old enough to simply sit around with all the aunts.

The boys just do dumb shit till they get old enough to drink or cook on the bbq and play poker or do whatever your family does. Maybe karaoke, maybe just watch some stuff. Maybe nothing I don't know.

Enjoy for families people. At 26, I try to make the most of these times as I'm seeing my older family really start to age.

bjork

I worked with a dude who made prison tamales out of corn chips and beans or something, with some saran wrap and a microwave. Pretty tasty in a pinch.

studyguy

Is it like a burrito?

No, it's more like steamed corn dough with filling in the middle. Corn husks are on the outside, you peel those and eat the dough/innards.
Had a cousin with a boyfriend who had never seen one I guess and tried to eat it whole, corn husk and all.
Hilarious.

Innards are usually beef, chicken... maybe pork I guess.
Red or Green are most common, but you can make them sweet instead with no filling and just sweeten the dough to eat as a snack.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I used to have them premade by a few local contacts, but when I moved I noticed a local store has them premade from their kitchen. They're wonderful.

Those sound good right now.

Italian family = escarole + fish + pasta + roast + rice balls + stuffed mushrooms + all sorts of other delicacies. Then we throw in all the other Americanized Italian dishes, ie Ziti, Lasagna, Chicken Parm. Then comes dessert.

Fuck I love Christmas =')

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
This thread title bugs me.

The singular is "Tamal" not "tamale"
The plural is "Tamales".

Common mistake, now it will bug you every time you see it.

I am having a tamales party this Saturday!

Azuran

Banned
The best thing about having a Hispanic family is that Christmas food is always amazing. I'm so looking forward to having non-stop plates of tamales and torrejas in a week.

Refried bean tamales are my favorite. They're so good, they're addictive.

BobDylan

love them. my moms side of the family, which is hispanic, gets together and makes a ton of these around this time every year.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Always, ALWAYS have at least one Mexican friend going in to the holidays for just this reason. A Filipino is also acceptable for Lumpia. After New Years, drop them.

Jado

Banned
These are great. My gf introduced them to me. There was also a lady who would come around and sell them on weekends but hasn't been around for like a year...

On a related note, my family tradition involves these:

Pasteles in a banana leaf. Some people put ketchup on them (me!).

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
You can usually find XLNT tamales near the refrigerated cheese section. Do not buy them.

I just checked like five mexican restaurants menu's, nothing. There's a world renowned Mexican restaurant an exit away from me and they still don't have these on the menu what gives stop hoarding all the tamales

Elchele

I just checked like five mexican restaurants menu's, nothing. There's a world renowned Mexican restaurant an exit away from me and they still don't have these on the menu what gives stop hoarding all the tamales

central american restaurants are more likely to have them

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Even restaurants rarely get them right.

You can try to find a hole in the wall Mexican grocery store and find out if they sell them. You might get lucky. also taco trucks.

We don't make our own masa, but we definitely make everything else.

Red chile
Green chile
Rajas
Dulces

Four types every christmas.

Y452q6O.jpg

Bah that doesn't even look like 30 tamales. What are their parents supposed to eat when the kids are done?

No, it's more like steamed corn dough with filling in the middle. Corn husks are on the outside, you peel those and eat the dough/innards.
Had a cousin with a boyfriend who had never seen one I guess and tried to eat it whole, corn husk and all.
Hilarious.

Innards are usually beef, chicken... maybe pork I guess.
Red or Green are most common, but you can make them sweet instead with no filling and just sweeten the dough to eat as a snack.

Also, there are tamales with banana tree leafs instead of corn husk. Fuck it, there are lots of variations of tamales in Mexico that even living here I haven't had all the variations.
There are probably variations for every state in Mexico:
-Norteño: Mostly in the north of the country, those are small tamales and you could eat like a dozen or more
newstamales.jpg

-Veracruzanos: From the state of Veracruz, those use banana tree leafs:
62833792_1-Fotos-de-RIQUISIMOS-TAMALES-VERACRUZANOS.jpg

-Oaxaqueños: Like Veracruzanos, but with a different taste. My mother in law makes a variation of this, called "costeños" with lots of chile and mole:
1303244994_190530243_1-TAMALES-OAXAQUEnOS-bellavista.jpg

-Chiapanecos: I haven't had these, but some say they are really tasty(and big!) with lots of stuff for filling(sorry, couldn't find an image)

-DF style: From the capital of Mexico, lots of corn, very little meat to my tastes:
1340595074_404276005_3-TAMALES-EXQUISITOS-SAZON-CASERO-DF-TLALPAN-COYOACAN-BENITO-JUAREZ-Organizacion-de-eventos.jpg

Also, it seems like every latin-american country has its own delicious variations of tamales, I hope one day to taste them

(Also my mom makes some vegetarian-maybe even vegan?-tamales, can't wait for new year)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom