• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas is almost here, it's tamale time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Oh god we only eat these terrible Salvadorian tamales with dry ass chicken. Every christmas now is carne asada and tamales.

Dry tamales are the worst.
I don't mind the sweet ones when they get old and dry since they still retain the taste, but the ones with meat inside are shit when they're dry.

Zoe

I've always been tempted to buy the ones that still need to be cooked, but I have no idea how to properly cook them.

Feral hogs are all over the place in South Texas. The meat is amazing, perfect for tamales.

They should go hunting around the toll road in between Austin and San Antonio. There's a $1/tail bounty!

Damaniel

Banned
Can I come eat Christmas dinner at your place? :)

Homemade tamales are the best - doesn't matter what's in them. I can't say I've ever associated tamales with Christmas, but I'm neither from a Hispanic family or from a region that's known for having a large Hispanic population.

Pastry

Banned
I've always been tempted to buy the ones that still need to be cooked, but I have no idea how to properly cook them.

They should go hunting around the toll road in between Austin and San Antonio. There's a $1/tail bounty!

If they're already prepared but not cooked you just need to steam them. Are they from HEB or something?

I'm from San Antonio so the toll road isn't far lol.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
so pumped. ready to have so many to bring back to my roommates. its especially awesome living with another mexican as well that we'll have a shit ton when the holidays end. should last a few days.

Zoe

If they're already prepared but not cooked you just need to steam them. Are they from HEB or something?

I'm from San Antonio so the toll road isn't far lol.

Yeah, I see them at HEB. I do just buy the cooked ones from HEB occasionally, but I can only eat so many at a time before they're no longer fresh.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Yeah, I see them at HEB. I do just buy the cooked ones from HEB occasionally, but I can only eat so many at a time before they're no longer fresh.

They do ok frozen for a few weeks.

I can post a recipe for the whole process if people are interested.

The thing about tamales is that they are such a hassle to make. Reason why you wont find them at restaurants unless its a special occasion. I'm so glad my mom knows how to cook every good mexican dish.

see5harp

I love tamales but I wish they had a little more to them. The ones that most people sell on the side of the road here in CA are basically chicken, pork, or beef. That's it. Just seasoned meat in cornmeal. And as much of a hassle as people say they are, they are nothing compared to Chinese sticky rice Zongzi, which a lot of churches and familes make. They are essentially chinese tamales, but like 10x better because they put like all sorts of stuff in it. Sausage, salted egg, dried shrimp, like big ass chucks of pork belly. A damn tamale is weak as fuck compared to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom