• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Cloud Gaming Test": Gaikai Testing Underway on PlayStation Network?

Tsundere

Banned
From the PlayStation 4 OT.

Was going to invite a friend to Resogun when I saw this:

bzOkGAb.jpg

1477819_10201069276911203_1966981732_n-500x430.jpg

something going on

Looks like Cloud Gaming Test(s) are taking place on PlayStation Network.

Gaikai related? Probably. Anyone know anything about this?

It's the entrance exam for Cloud Gaming. You can only gain access to the feature if you can answer 10 questions about last gen correctly.

Tsundere

Banned
Makes me wonder if it'll be App-based.

Load the "PSCloud" App and then select the games you want to play, etc.

Possibly reads your PSN details to determine if you can play certain games free (games you've purchased in the past, games you have the disk to, etc).

Nipo

Possibly reads your PSN details to determine if you can play certain games free (games you've purchased in the past, games you have the disk to, etc).

Do they let you play digital PSP games free if there is Vita compatibility? I never had a PSP so I don't know.

If so I'd assume they'll do the same thing with PS3 games.

NHale

There are hacks that allow PS3 users to change their "Status Game" to anything they want. Even Half-Life 3 if they so desire.

So the images don't prove anything.

curb

Banned
There are hacks that allow PS3 users to change their "Status Game" to anything they want. Even Half-Life 3 if they so desire.

True, but it could be legit. Obviously it's not any kind of concrete proof.

MattVT

Do they let you play digital PSP games free if there is Vita compatibility? I never had a PSP so I don't know.

If so I'd assume they'll do the same thing with PS3 games.

Yes, if you bought the PSP game digitally, you can download it to your Vita without paying again.

Tsundere

Banned
That would be too good. Wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

Why?

To play your "upgraded PS3 to PS4" digital versions of COD etc, you need to have the PS3 disc in at all times. Meaning, the drive can detect PS3 games genuinely, thus, the system as well. They can pass that data to the Gaikai app, which in turn, will let you play those games free.

Tsundere

Banned

Doesn't matter if you look at it with your 3/4/Vita. If the guy in the pic is online with his PS3, it still shows whatever he wants (if he really hacked).

Would have to be some big coordinated effort to all have changed the display name to "Cloud Gaming Test, since a GAFer has said that they've seen their friend on it too.

I saw the same thing on my friends list last night too.

PS+ backlog galore!

Cornbread78

Very nice, I really hope they can get this set up on PS4 early next year. It would be huge for me to hit up some of the late PS3 jrpgs on PS4. If that is what they have planned for the service.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why?

To play your "upgraded PS3 to PS4" digital versions of COD etc, you need to have the PS3 disc in at all times. Meaning, the drive can detect PS3 games genuinely, thus, the system as well. They can pass that data to the Gaikai app, which in turn, will let you play those games free.

I don't think he's saying it would be technically impossible (obviously it isn't), but rather that Sony might prefer getting that money from you. But then again, they did make the PS4 ports of PS3 PSN games (Flower, etc) free for people who have already bought them once, so maybe they'll do the right thing with Gaikai as well. I certainly hope so.

zakislam

Really hope this comes into fruition properly in 2014. Service has too much potential to miss out on to be waiting a few years for it to roll out.

curb

Banned
I don't think he's saying it would be technically impossible (obviously it isn't), but rather that Sony might prefer getting that money from you. But then again, they did make the PS4 ports of PS3 PSN games (Flower, etc) free for people who have already bought them once, so maybe they'll do the right thing with Gaikai as well. I certainly hope so.

5 years ago I wouldn't have had any hope that Sony would "do the right thing" but I feel like there may be hope now. I don't know though, that Gaikai investment wasn't cheap.

daveo42

Banned
Now I'm curious how the test is going and if Sony's going to give out alpha and beta invites to PS+ owners to help test out the Gaikai servers and games.

Hopefully it's going well. I'm excited and hopeful it'll work out well for the majority of us in the US.

Deathly_Grin is always online.

Always.

I can confirm he's online right now.

I don't know why people would rather have BC through Gaikai instead of just direct ports. I'm pretty sure all of Sony's studios will have their ps3 collections ported over to ps4 before game streaming even becomes a thing.

el_jefe

Neo Member
In regards to a future service, I've always wondered if it would be possible for users that have the original PS3 disc to:

-put the disc in their PS4; the Gaikai app detects the game, verifies it on the streaming service side
-the PS4 copies SOME of the game data off of the PS3 game disc locally as a cache (textures? level files? scripts?)
-The Gaikai streaming service handles most of the heavy lifting but uses the locally cached items so there isn't much to stream over the internet connection.

Possible? Impossible?

Tsundere

Banned
In regards to a future service, I've always wondered if it would be possible for users that have the original PS3 disc to:

-put the disc in their PS4; the Gaikai app detects the game, verifies it on the streaming service side
-the PS4 copies SOME of the game data off of the PS3 game disc locally as a cache (textures? level files? scripts?)
-The Gaikai streaming service handles most of the heavy lifting but uses the locally cached items so there isn't much to stream over the internet connection.

Possible? Impossible?

That's how digital upgrades on PSN work to identify the game.

Would have to be some big coordinated effort to all have changed the display name to "Cloud Gaming Test, since a GAFer has said that they've seen their friend on it too.

Detective GAF is welcome to scour my friends list. I don't recall who it was, as it was not the username of an IRL friend. I assume it was a
GAFfer. They also had other weird statuses related to testing other things.

Even if Sony gets this service up and running, their tone at the PS4 reveal was of hopeful uncertainty that they could offer PS3 games through the service (and likely in limited quantities, primarily a combo of technological and business restraints) - PS1 & PS2 games seemed far more attainable from the way they were handling the press' inquiries.

ckohler

Possible? Impossible?

That's not how streaming services like Giakai work. They simply send you low-latency compressed video. Nothing about the actual game exists on the player's end.

curb

Banned

Possible? Impossible?

I think that's how it would work for detecting what game is in the drive but as far as I know, Gaikai does all the processing server-side and just sends the video to the client so I wouldn't think any textures/files would be used from the PS3 disc.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Oh boy - I hope this becomes reality soon! Just yesterday a friend was asking me if he should get a PS4 or a PS3 (finally) if he wants a bluray player and a big catalog of games to play. I told him PS3, *but* this will definitely change that. Only problem is that he wants to get one soon.

daveo42

Banned
That's how digital upgrades on PSN work to identify the game.

Do you think we'll even need this though for Gaikai? We've yet to get any pricing on the service and whether we'll get charged a al carte for game streaming, be charged a flat rate per month, or even have the service included as a part PS+.

It'd work out if they did charge us a one time fee to stream individual games, but we wouldn't even need to verify the game locally if they go with the latter options.

el_jefe

Neo Member
Do you think we'll even need this though for Gaikai? We've yet to get any pricing on the service and whether we'll get charged a al carte for game streaming, be charged a flat rate per month, or even have the service included as a part PS+.

It'd work out if they did charge us a one time fee to stream individual games, but we wouldn't even need to verify the game locally if they go with the latter options.

I think they could possibly do it with different tiers:

-charge an extra fee on top of PS+ for a stream everything plan
-charge for individual games if you don't want the stream everything plan
-if you are a PS+ member, free backwards compatibility stream if you have the original PS3 disc

curb

Banned
I think they could possibly do it with different tiers:

-charge an extra fee on top of PS+ for a stream everything plan
-charge for individual games if you don't want the stream everything plan
-if you are a PS+ member, free backwards compatibility stream if you have the original PS3 disc

I can see a scenario where Sony offers Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited and PlayStation Unlimited - all separate services with their own subscription/rental fees. My dream scenario for Gaikai is a "Netflix" of PlayStation that you can get a discount on if you're a PS+ subscriber
(I certainly have no expectation that they'll roll it into Plus)

Dug

Banned

Well mine was a guy who works at Sony so I doubt he was doing that.

BrunoM

From the PlayStation 4 OT.

Looks like Cloud Gaming Test(s) are taking place on PlayStation Network.

Gaikai related? Probably. Anyone know anything about this?

Things ain't always what they look like .. Just wait a bit and your gonna see ..

Sometimes they are even better ;)

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Things ain't always what they look like .. Just wait a bit and your gonna see ..

Sometimes they are even better ;)

I feel like you're not telling us everything you know...

QUICKLY GAF, CAPTURE HIM AND PROCEED WITH TORTURE UNTIL HE BREAKS.

Top Bottom