• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust: Day Z Like game by the maker of Garry's Mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Website

Description
Rust is a survival game created by Facepunch Studios. Inspired by games like DayZ, Minecraft and Stalker – Rust aims to create a hostile environment in which emergent gameplay can flourish.

The aim of the game is to survive. To do this the player should gather resources. Hitting a tree with a rock will give you wood, hitting a rock with a rock will give you rock and ore. You can then craft a hatchet from the wood and rock, allowing you to gather faster. You can go out and hunt a variety of wildlife such as boars, chickens, rabbits, bears, wolves and deer. Once you have killed an animal you can butcher it to gather its meat and skin. You can craft a fire using wood and cook the meat inside the fire. Then you can eat.

You face two major dangers in game.

Rust is a multiplayer game, so there will be other players trying to survive in the same way that you are. Unfortunately for you they can find you, kill you and take your stuff. Fortunately for you – you can kill them and take their stuff. Or maybe you can make friends and help each other survive. Rust’s world is harsh – so you might need to make friends to survive.

The environment is not kind. Bears and wolves will chase and kill you. Falling from a height will kill you. Being exposed to radiation for an extended period will kill you. Starving will kill you. Being cold will kill you.

History
Rust started out as a DayZ clone. We liked the idea of DayZ but we got very frustrated when trying to play it. It was decided that we could make a rough estimation of it in less than a month. Four months later we got there.

It became very clear that one thing DayZ had that we didn’t was a huge populated world. We could not justify spending the time to create towns and cities full of enter-able buildings full of furniture and lootable goodies. We decided that the world should be empty – and the user should build those buildings. Joining a different server would be like entering a different world – because it will have evolved completely differently.

After adding this feature we released an early alpha version. This ended up being a million times more popular than we expected and left us satisfied that we had chosen the right direction.

Around this time we came to the conclusion that we were sick of zombies, and after taking a look at the game decided that we didn’t even need them. There are already enough ways to die. So we removed them.

This game has been a top seller on Steam since it's alpha launched and hits around 13k concurrent players daily. Anyone play it? I searched for a topic but couldn't find one. I personally can't stand the gameplay in Day Z but I have been looking for something along the lines of it. A lot of the let's play videos make this game look pretty fun. Any impressions?

Warning: Penis

https://trello.com/b/lG8jtz6v/rust

This is the developer's to-do list, they update constantly and is a great way to see what the game is shaping up to be straight from the source.

A well written starter guide.
Oh man, just discovered this thread as I'm about to leave town. I've been looking for an opportunity to explain in detail why this game is so good and also so much more than you might assume from the discussion so far. Pardon the slapdash bullet-pointing:

-Find a server with friends or a low population. Avoid servers with established populations of 200. NeoGAF needs its own server. Me and my friends are on US East II (Dev)Half-Craft. I highly recommend joining. Smallish population, with excellent rivalries emerging.

-Base building is an art. You are not making Barbie dream homes, but fortifications designed to withstand probing and repeated raid attempts. Utility, experience, and the game's systems should drive your design, not what you think looks neat or cozy. The fact that good architecture is driven by these things is something special. Good fortifications have false doors, honey pots (seemingly easily accessible sections with large storage crates visible through the wood slats that entice marks to waste their expensive explosive charges in vain, labyrinthine construction with serial steel doors; they're constructed to confuse and confound; they are proofed against other players placing adjacent siege works that allow them to reach your upper story walls.

-Serial explosive charges can destroy anything except foundations and pillars. No one wall, door, or barricade will save you. You want to cost raiders far more resources in a raid than they strand to gain by getting to your real goodies.

-Raiding is an art. The smarter you play, the more fun you'll have, the better the results.

-Use global chat to feed misinformation and to manipulate. Change your steam/in-game name as often as you need. Raid under the names of your enemies.

-I really want to give concrete examples and tell stories about the clan feuding that occurs but that will have to wait. A successful raid against worthy opponents in well-defended houses who are able to call for backup is thrilling and tremendously satisfying.

-Don't go resource gathering with your best gear. Especially if you're alone. Conversely, prey on fools who go gathering in their good gear. The game's apex predators let you gather for them. They're above lifting an axe.

-Don't build your primary settlement near the roads. You're gonna get ganked again and again. Start off in deep wilderness and advance as you acquire resources, know how, and allies.

-Learn from your losses. Post mortem your approach to base building every time your defenses are breached.

GAF Server
GAF server. Quote for IP.

I've had for a while, before it was on Steam, it's fun with friends, but there's just not enough substance to the game at the moment and the constant thievery of items when you log out gets real old.

This genre of survival crafting games is so saturated. The multiplayer looks kind of hilarious though so maybe that will save it. From the screens I was expecting something like Miasmata. FartOfWar has been playing and seems into it.

This looks awful. The movement is terrible, the animation is garbage, the interactions seems really off...it's just bad. I don't know what Gary's Mod is exactly, or what went in to making this, so forgive me if this was a one man do it yourself type deal.

jabuseika

... and random naked guys with guns.

At least Shotgun guy was kind of helpful.

I don't know, this could be fun playing coop, but I don't like the whole forced to be playing with strangers thing.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
really, a game about camping? has it really come to this point game developers ? lol

nah it looks somewhat cool like minecraft HD or something.

This genre of survival crafting games is so saturated. The multiplayer looks kind of hilarious though so maybe that will save it. From the screens I was expecting something like Miasmata. FartOfWar has been playing and seems into it.
Indeed. Some choice quotes:

@ShawnElliott --- 14 december
Been playing Nether and Rust. Rust is the better of the two by far; a bandwagon waiting to be jumped on.
But be warned: Rust shuns every single pillar of contemporary design philosophy.
For one, the few have fun at the expense of the misery of the many; and materially profit from it, too.
If you read the Walking Dead comic, Rust is a world of Nagins waiting to take you for all you're worth.
Only if you loathe them as much as Grimes does Nagin will you endure the Sisyphean treadmill long enough to taste comeuppance.
So far, Rust's sawtooth is a story of minor victories and major defeats...
You fashion a stone axe, feed yourself, make a shitty shelter, and are murdered...
Soon, you're wielding proper weapons, you've covered your exposed wiener, and have plans for the future...
Which is when you hear the footsteps outside your shitty shack. You know it's not your friend, cos he's inside his hut, too, and says so.
Next you hear the ticking timer. The shack explodes; they shoot you dead, then take everything you've spent the day earning.
In Rust, big fish are eaten by bigger fish. Half the shit they stole from me was shit I laughingly stole from those who had even less.

@ShawnElliott --- 16 december
@MitchyD @McBiggitty @Chufmoney: To survive you absolutely need to join our enclave. I can bank valuables in my citadel.

@MitchyD ---16 december
@ShawnElliott save me room to build my own doorway to get in :)

Unfortunately that isn't too safe. I have several for you, but my inner sanctum is 15 steel doors deep...
Maze-like structure with multiple steel doors that lead to dead ends. Once they SWAT you with C4, you'll see.

I told our Rust server that their raids bring my seven year old brother to literal tears, that he has leukemia and his one wish is to build.

Played this for a couple hours tonight. There was like 6 guys outside my hut trying to offer me a gun. I open the door and one rushes me. I closed it and trapped the bastard. He killed me but now he's trapped in there with no way out. Definitely some good times to be had building labyrinths like Shawn says. Trapping looters.

skoma

So i spent about 15 hours in Rust and i'm really enjoying it so far. Playing it with 3 friends. We started building our house and its more like a fortress by now. We found some decent blueprints and are going to gear up.
After our first day playing we've been robbed over night. some people blew up a wall of our house and killed us while we were sleeping. But we know where they're building their base so we're going to get back our stuff.
While wandering around in search for some ressources, i found a new camp near ours where 9 people tried to get started. Now we think about blowing their camp before they get to the point where they'll be a danger for us, or whether we try to work together with them.
So for me its great fun, and it runs pretty smoothly considering its still in early alpha. But you have to deal with some nasty people. I was near a road and met two naked people, only with a stone in their hand. They begged me for something to eat so i stopped to drop them something. As soon as i stopped, they pulled guns, shot me down and took all my stuff. Thats what you get for trying to be nice in rust.

I'm having mad FPS issues today. Not sure if the game is more CPU or GPU intensive.

I'm kicking myself because someone posted a console command that doubled my FPS yesterday and I can't find it now. It wasn't the grass one. In the day time the official servers are completely packed so I'm not sure I'll be playing there much.

https://trello.com/b/lG8jtz6v/rust

in X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rust\cfg\config.cfg you can edit the lines for grass, and grass shadows to be false which may improve performance.
Code:
grass.on False
grass.forceredraw False
grass.displacement False
censor.nudity False
grass.disp_trail_seconds 1000
grass.shadowcast False
grass.shadowreceive False

Garry says the start up options for graphical quality settings are Unity defaults and may not make a difference. Playing full screen allegedly improves things but I'm having more luck in windowed mode.

There are some render options like force dx9 mode, and force quality. I've not found them to improve it. Look it up, seems to change from build to build.

Tenck

Played this for a couple hours tonight. There was like 6 guys outside my hut trying to offer me a gun. I open the door and one rushes me. I closed it and trapped the bastard. He killed me but now he's trapped in there with no way out. Definitely some good times to be had building labyrinths like Shawn says. Trapping looters.

Okay just bought it because of this post :lol

akaoni

Banned
Rust is griefing - the game. It's in an experimental state right now, all the player action and resources are in a small part of the overall map while the rest is more or less barren. Best played with at least 2 friends so you can back each other up and murder beta males for their goods. Base building is fun. Played it heavily for a week or so in October, if you're part of a group of tryhards/enjoy fucking people over this is the game for you. Looking forward to seeing where it ends up. Much, much better than DayZ alpha is right now if you're choosing between the two. My only gripe is the injury I picked up with how sprinting can be a chore, keep in mind I've played quite a few games with a sprint key before, changing it to spacebar fixed it for me, left-shit for jump instead.

Am I a fool if I wait three months before jumping into this? It's pretty early right now, right?

Or will everyone be pimp at the game by then and I'll never have the chance to evolve past being a caveman?

akaoni

Banned
Am I a fool if I wait three months before jumping into this? It's pretty early right now, right?

Or will everyone be pimp at the game by then and I'll never have the chance to evolve past being a caveman?

The main gate to progression is the crafting system. The best items are dropped every hour by an airplane when there's something like 50~ players on a server in 3 packages and can't be acquired elsewhere. The gate is using a research kit that allows you to craft said items by just gathering the necessary materials, so it's all about control and dominance with a group of people, like some sick game of artificial selection with the alphas keeping everyone else down as much as they can. So no, not everyone will be a pimp by then to be honest, there's always going to be the pyramid

There's a basic flowchart everyone will need to go through in order to get off the ground initially, that's the fun part, when you reach the end it's about preventing other people doing the same.

There's server wipes with updates etc too, but they're probably less regular now.

This seems kind of interesting but the whole guns thing is just confusing and off putting. It seems to be in odds with the whole survival ethos. 'start from scratch and build your way up. also you get guns cuz mystery airplanes drop them from the sky'.

akaoni

Banned
This seems kind of interesting but the whole guns thing is just confusing and off putting. It seems to be in odds with the whole survival ethos. 'start from scratch and build your way up. also you get guns cuz mystery airplanes drop them from the sky'.

All the guns can be obtained from the various standard spawns around the map IIRC, the best of which are usually in radioactive areas with zombies, you could always gank an alpha too. The main use for the airdrops will be kevlar armour to allow you to roll players and C4 to break into player buildings. Research kit and just craft them thereafter.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
I will buy this once it becomes more fleshed out (as in less caveman dongs, and more polish and features).

As it stands, from seeing this and other videos, there just isn't much to do since everything is so primitive.

There's also a whole lot of competition in this kind of game. It even competes with similarly themed games like DayZ, 7 Days to Die, and there's 1-2 more that I can remember existing but can't remember the names for.

I'm just not sure they should have gone from making Garry's Mod, to making a giant game like this.

TheExodu5

Banned
Loving the game. I've played it for about 30 hours over the past 2 and a half days...it's been a while since I've played a game this intensively. I've been playing with Freakinchair, mkenyon, and 3 other friends.

We're playing on LockedBox, which is a friendlier server with some general guidelines that make for a less frustrating game. Generally, you're not allowed to kill naked people on sight, and aren't allowed to destroy newbie shacks (shelters with wooden doors). Besides that, raiding and PvP is still allowed.

There are a few things that make this stand head and shoulders above DayZ, IMO:

1) Performance. The game performs pretty well considering the draw distance...I get 40 fps in the worst of circumstances on a 2500K and GTX 680, though usually 60+.

2) Controls. The game controls fine and there is no X/Y sensitivity disconnect or mouse acceleration. The UI is also mostly intuitive. Of course, you don't quite have the freedom to do things that you would do in DayZ...the game is much more simplistic by comparison (e.g. you can only crouch and run...there is no prone or other stances).

3) Crafting. You have a lot of crafting to do in this game so you can always have a goal to set for yourself, whether it be working on a base, crafting an arsenal, or creating a lot of C4 charges for raiding purposes.

4) Server instancing. Your character and all structures persist on a single server. This means you won't be server hopping for drops and you'll be encouraged to stay on a single server. This leads to a much stronger sense of community as you get to know the other people on the server (allies and bandits alike).

Now, this is a difficult game to play solo. Many servers don't discouraging killing on sight, so if you're playing on such a server, be very careful. Don't walk around with too many valuables, and try to build your base in a more secluded area, away from the more popular zones. In the end though, I do suggest finding some friends to play with, or try to find a community in game that will take you in. A microphone is an absolute must.

Also, if you don't have dual monitors, I suggest you print out the following map:
http://playrustwiki.com/wiki/Ingame_Maps

It will take you a while, but you'll start to learn the map and a lot of the landmarks.

bender

What time is it?
I need to pickup a Steam card. This will probably be my next purchase. I'll probably play solo so hopefully it will not be too frustrating.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you're hell bent on playing solo, it could get frustrating. I do suggest making friends on a server.

If you do play solo, live like a hermit. Make yourself an unassuming shack and don't get too ambitious, at least not until you get a good grasp on the game. Also, my advice is to not stockpile materials too much. Craft what you have and build, otherwise you could get raided and lose everything.

I'd give it 5-10 hours before you have a decent grasp on the game and can start truly progressing. Be patient.

bender

What time is it?
You brave soul. Send me a postcard after a mob raids your hut ;)

haha. That's part of the fun. I spent about 6 hours yesterday trying to re-gear up after wasting two hours trying to meet up with a friend (a very drunk friend) who ended up getting me killed. I like how lonely and punishing the world can be. At hour two of my resupply run, I have an airport in site and I'm making my way across and open field when I got blasted by another player. I chuckled, re-spawned and restarted the journey.

Patience is not a problem.

TheExodu5

Banned
haha. That's part of the fun. I spent about 6 hours yesterday trying to re-gear up after wasting two hours trying to meet up with a friend (a very drunk friend) who ended up getting me killed. I like how lonely and punishing the world can be. At hour two of my resupply run, I have an airport in site and I'm making my way across and open field when I got blasted by another player. I chuckled, re-spawned and restarted the journey.

Sounds like you'll be fine, then. This is a bit less punishing than DayZ since there's at least some permanence to structures, at least.

Anustart

I need some friends to play with. Me trying to get anywhere solo is just not going to happen. Solo isn't an option when everyone else is wandering with their death squad buddies.

lol that video. There's something about the player count on servers and the global chat that allows people to develop reputations. Got two more stories for you:

last night someone was running around in the dark naked mic spamming a soviet anthem. as soon as i heard the footsteps in the distance i turned off my camp fire and huddled in the dark like a coward. as he approached i shot the guy in the chest with my bow and he ran off into the night.

i respawned near a radiation site and found both a 9mm and a red dot sight mod. started rolling around like a tough guy intimidating people. found some Russian guy up in the mountains and demanded he give me his hatchet. after a few back and forths he stormed out and ran at me. i went through my 18 bullets in seconds and he claimed his modded pistol. i really hope they add a sight mod for the bow or a metal bow.
1) Performance. The game performs pretty well considering the draw distance...I get 40 fps in the worst of circumstances on a 2500K and GTX 680, though usually 60+.

2) Controls. The game controls fine and there is no X/Y sensitivity disconnect or mouse acceleration. The UI is also mostly intuitive. Of course, you don't quite have the freedom to do things that you would do in DayZ...the game is much more simplistic by comparison (e.g. you can only crouch and run...there is no prone or other stances).

4) Server instancing. Your character and all structures persist on a single server. This means you won't be server hopping for drops and you'll be encouraged to stay on a single server. This leads to a much stronger sense of community as you get to know the other people on the server (allies and bandits alike).
I'm on a 7870 and getting 20-40 fps for comparison, usually averaging about 30.
I am looking into a third party solution for run and crouch toggle, I am going to ask the devs to include it as an option. Hopefully it will be trivial.
Server resets are also something to look out for. If the server is reset so is your character.

It's much less solitary than DayZ though. I could spend hours in that game and never see another player unless I went to a city. I hope we can see some heat maps for kills. This week I'm going to work on securing an air drop with two other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom