• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust: Day Z Like game by the maker of Garry's Mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

educator

You can already do a ton more in Rust, every life is much easier to have an interesting story in, the interactions you have with those you run into seem much more varied, and personally a game-time versus real-time day/night cycle is much more appealing to me as an evening player.

Get both though if you can! DayZ is its own brand of awesome.

I've had a blast diving in by myself. The nice part about Rust is that there are many who will be helpful and have peaceful interactions with you. A lot can be accomplished through cooperation so there's plenty of it. I've met lots of interesting (and weird) folks playing, that's for sure. And you can fare quite well solo as well!

Unrelatedly, I'm thinking about starting a tumblr or something to collect all the hilarious rust stories in this thread and elsewhere, a collection of legends of more primitive times..

Thanks, I think im going to buy it even though I'll try to conquer the wilderness solo. DayZ is not really an option since im on a Mac (not to keen on bootcamp), and I've always wanted to play a game like this one, so Rust seems like the perfect choice.

kubus

Thanks, I think im going to buy it even though I'll try to conquer the wilderness solo. DayZ is not really an option since im on a Mac (not to keen on bootcamp), and I've always wanted to play a game like this one, so Rust seems like the perfect choice.
Wait, you're on Mac?

Rust is known to have issues with Mac systems, so be warned. It doesn't run on my MacBook Pro from 2011, doesn't even get past loading screens. Many users have reported the same problem. For others, the game does work but it gets terrible fps, and then there's also people who have no trouble at all on Mac.

It's kind of a gamble right now. The developers are working on it, though.

educator

Wait, you're on Mac?

Rust is known to have issues with Mac systems, so be warned. It doesn't run on my MacBook Pro from 2011, doesn't even get past loading screens. Many users have reported the same problem. For others, the game does work but it gets terrible fps, and then there's also people who have no trouble at all on Mac.

It's kind of a gamble right now. The developers are working on it, though.

Damnit, I just bought and realized I probably should have waited. It crashed about 5-6 times when loading the UI, and then I finally made it into a game only for it to crash after a minute. For reference, I have an iMac 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 and GeForce 750M 1024 MB. I guess i'll just have to wait until they stabilize it, too bad I didn't read your comment before. I literally bought it 10 minutes ago, haha. On the bright side though, it's a game I would have bought anyhow. This taught me to look into what im buying before I drop 18€ on something thats not guaranteed to work. Hopefully they'll resolve the issue as fast as they can.

Update

Finally got it to work. Chose a Scandinavian server with low ping and played for about 20 minutes without any hassle. The game has great premise, even though it's a bit scary at first. A guy in chat helped me a lot too, so now I know a couple important basics like making a campfire and cooking chicken. Is there any Gaf server I might be able to join?

Damnit, I just bought and realized I probably should have waited. It crashed about 5-6 times when loading the UI, and then I finally made it into a game only for it to crash after a minute. For reference, I have an iMac 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 and GeForce 750M 1024 MB. I guess i'll just have to wait until they stabilize it, too bad I didn't read your comment before. I literally bought it 10 minutes ago, haha. On the bright side though, it's a game I would have bought anyhow. This taught me to look into what im buying before I drop 18€ on something thats not guaranteed to work. Hopefully they'll resolve the issue as fast as they can.

Update

Finally got it to work. Chose a Scandinavian server with low ping and played for about 20 minutes without any hassle. The game has great premise, even though it's a bit scary at first. A guy in chat helped me a lot too, so now I know a couple important basics like making a campfire and cooking chicken. Is there any Gaf server I might be able to join?

quote op for server info

Prowl

Finally killed someone in game, thats what he gets for going into my furnace!

I kinda felt bad when i did it since he pretty much just spawned but oh well.

voodooray

Ouch, got raided overnight inside my supposed protected domicile. I realise now I had a bad weak spot, so I'll need to plan better next time! Considering whether to relocate our try to go insane with a more elaborate design.

Some GREAT moments tonight people, GfuckingG

ihjPSInru56Eb.png

educator

Just finished my first real session with Rust on the Gaf server. It's incredibly immersive, especially with the lights turned off using headphones. I did try finding other players, but I realize it can take me anywhere from an hour to a week in real life time before that happens. I guess thats the point -- not trusting anyone. It would be fun meeting someone though, but since there is no real way of knowing where you are it all depends on luck. I think the game runs alright for being in alpha, it's playable most of the time. I can see this game becoming truly fantastic, the premise is awesome and I hope that the devs keeps up the good work.

Those I talked to were really helpful in providing information and tips, thank you!

Mononoke

Banned
Question. Does this have multiplayer? I noticed on Steam it just says Multiplayer. Can me and a buddy join the same server, or be in the same party?

Just finished my first real session with Rust on the Gaf server. It's incredibly immersive, especially with the lights turned off using headphones. I did try finding other players, but I realize it can take me anywhere from an hour to a week in real life time before that happens. I guess thats the point -- not trusting anyone. It would be fun meeting someone though, but since there is no real way of knowing where you are it all depends on luck. I think the game runs alright for being in alpha, it's playable most of the time. I can see this game becoming truly fantastic, the premise is awesome and I hope that the devs keeps up the good work.

Those I talked to were really helpful in providing information and tips, thank you!

Glad you're enjoying it, and you got it running on mac!

Question. Does this have multiplayer? I noticed on Steam it just says Multiplayer. Can me and a buddy join the same server, or be in the same party?

It's purely multiplayer. There's no "party" system but you can certainly join the same server, you'll have to find each other on the island though which can be an interesting experience in and of itself!

Mononoke

Banned
Glad you're enjoying it, and you got it running on mac!

It's purely multiplayer. There's no "party" system but you can certainly join the same server, you'll have to find each other on the island though which can be an interesting experience in and of itself!

Thank you sir. Think I'll try this.

Jay Fray

So it isn't common for servers to wipe every few days in this game? Interesting.

It's surprisingly common, but I think that has to do with the issue we're seeing on the GAF server. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It's why I had the airdrop number set high relative to our starting numbers. Now we're consistently at ~20 people online so they should be happening more often. Most server wipe to keep things competitive.

At this point major patches can force wipes but otherwise its more or less up to the admins and when the community gets bored of being maxed out and just beating their heads against the wall.

Once a group gets C4 and if they are a sizable group the servers are more or less ruined as far as long term potential because it just becomes giant group going around killing everything and stealing everything

The latter part of your post is why I'd like to mess with the loot tables. If it were up to me I'd cut out all of the modern day items and try to shift the game around more of a risk/reward system. Right now the risk is inherent mostly to those who are behind in terms of progress and often kept behind by the kitted out players. I wish I could adjust what's researchable and remove explosives/charges from that list. That way people can't just assembly line charges and raid the server in an evening.

If anyone is interested in poking through the current loot tables, you can find the server mod here. The DropParty portion of the mod contains the actual loot tables.

Edit; Now that I think about it, I could remove Explosives from the server entirely and only have Explosive Charges spawn. Without being able to research an explosive you would have to rely solely on charge drops.

Ramma2

After 2 days playing off and on, I think I had my first success last night on the Gaf server.

Attempt 1: Killed by a wolf
Attempt 2: Killed by a bear
Attempt 3: Survived long enough to build a shack with a door, work bench, storage box. Starved to death.
Attempt 4: Hunted for food first, then built a 2 foundation shack in the mountain somewhere. Have a metal door, pistol, full armor and a sleeping bag. Incomplete defenses on my house, so I'm probably dead and raided by the time I get on again tonight.

Very fun game though, everyone on the Gaf server has been helpful with figuring out commands and other how-to stuff.

antonz

It's surprisingly common, but I think that has to do with the issue we're seeing on the GAF server. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It's why I had the airdrop number set high relative to our starting numbers. Now we're consistently at ~20 people online so they should be happening more often. Most server wipe to keep things competitive.

The latter part of your post is why I'd like to mess with the loot tables. If it were up to me I'd cut out all of the modern day items and try to shift the game around more of a risk/reward system. Right now the risk is inherent mostly to those who are behind in terms of progress and often kept behind by the kitted out players. I wish I could adjust what's researchable and remove explosives/charges from that list. That way people can't just assembly line charges and raid the server in an evening.

If anyone is interested in poking through the current loot tables, you can find the server mod here. The DropParty portion of the mod contains the actual loot tables.

Edit; Now that I think about it, I could remove Explosives from the server entirely and only have Explosive Charges spawn. Without being able to research an explosive you would have to rely solely on charge drops.

Having charges be a drop only would be pretty awesome. Grenades would be usable for base raiding but be quite costly so would make it more strategic because a well designed base may take a lot of grenades if you are low on c4 from drops

Jay Fray

Having charges be a drop only would be pretty awesome. Grenades would be usable for base raiding but be quite costly so would make it more strategic because a well designed base may take a lot of grenades if you are low on c4 from drops

The best part about this system would be gaining the ability to manipulate the drop rate on the fly instead of requiring a wipe to correct an over abundance of charges or grenades.

Well I know I made this thread but I hadn't given in to buying it till now. Downloading and looking forward to terrorizing ya'll on the GAF server. In game name is the same.

antonz

The best part about this system would be gaining the ability to manipulate the drop rate on the fly instead of requiring a wipe to correct an over abundance of charges or grenades.

Indeed. Seems like a great way to shift the balance of power a bit so the newer player isn't totally dominated but is still low on the totem pole

kubus

I made a google spreadsheet where we can add our (user)names so we can more easily detect outsiders on the GAF server. Feel free to add yourself to the list. This should be obvious but to avoid abuse, please do not post this link elsewhere or post this link in this thread without email tags.

My first time making a spreadsheet so if anything's wrong with it, let me know (or fix it, anyone can edit).

Quote to see Spreadsheet link!

The OT is coming along nicely btw. Although I've learned that it's better not to call it the OT, but just "Early Access Thread" or something similar. If we call it the OT, then it will be moved to Community and nobody will see the thread. OT is for when the game is officially out of beta :p.

Edit: Wow, Rust is a featured game now on Steam and it's the 2nd best selling game as well (only bested by DayZ, lol).

Wow, Rust is a featured game now on Steam and it's the 2nd best selling game as well (only bested by DayZ, lol).

I think it's going to be huge. And for an Alpha, it's surprisingly stable. I was on for 6 hrs last night without a single hitch.

Oh and thanks for creating that spreadsheet. :)

TomPUH

I think from now on I'm going to have to be a dirty little thief and just raid huts for stone when I have to start from scratch from now on, the drought is starting to get to me.

kubus

Nice to see the spreadsheet being filled :).

Also, holy shit Rust is pretty succesful.

So I think we have all been very very surprised by Rust’s popularity. In its first two weeks Garry’s Mod sold just over 34,000. That was amazing for me. It changed my life overnight. In Rust’s first two weeks it has sold just over 150,000 copies. Which on its own is amazing. It’s even more amazing for us, because our royalty rate is 30% higher and it costs twice as much as Garry’s Mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom