• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust: Day Z Like game by the maker of Garry's Mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F1 to open up command console its net.connect server ip.

They just pushed out a patch so lots of servers up though Gaf one is down atm til updated

Ahh ty, that got that sorted. I'll have to check tomorrow to see if it's up and running. In the mean time I guess I'll just get on a random server and get my "sea legs".

antonz

came in to ask if it was just me whom couldn't connect. Good to know. Nix?

Been a long day. Something in this mornings patch made CPUs overwork til they would crash the server. Then The French annoyed ulink was fixed went after the hosting companies.

nm docbon saves the day. Yay Thanks again Doc

Sweet, I'll join the gaf server in just a sec. I'm feeling a lot more confident after spending an in-game day or two on this pve server. Figured out how to make a hovel, fire, kill, and cook.

antonz

Sweet, I'll join the gaf server in just a sec. I'm feeling a lot more confident after spending an in-game day or two on this pve server. Figured out how to make a hovel, fire, kill, and cook.

And right now Gaf server is pretty peaceful so people don't get frustrated etc. Obviously if someone picks a fight there will be bloodshed but for now at least its calm

And right now Gaf server is pretty peaceful so people don't get frustrated etc. Obviously if someone picks a fight there will be bloodshed but for now at least its calm

Yeah, only ran into one other person so far, and we got into a minor stand off before we both backed off. I definitely am not after blood at this point, but I'm quite happy with what I have and I don't feel much like sharing just yet ;)

I'm actually amazed that in such a short time I've not only gotten used to the game but built up what I'd consider to be a fairly impressive "stash"... won't go into details for obvious reasons, but I feel quite accomplished of my little hovel.

(edit) Wow, it's actually only been an hour that makes me feel even more accomplished.

antonz

Yeah, only ran into one other person so far, and we got into a minor stand off before we both backed off. I definitely am not after blood at this point, but I'm quite happy with what I have and I don't feel much like sharing just yet ;)

I'm actually amazed that in such a short time I've not only gotten used to the game but built up what I'd consider to be a fairly impressive "stash"... won't go into details for obvious reasons, but I feel quite accomplished of my little hovel.

(edit) Wow, it's actually only been an hour that makes me feel even more accomplished.

Oh yah getting a chance to do stuff without constant ganking speeds things up a bit. I imagine gaf server will be pretty interesting once the honeymoon period is over.

Eventually its just all about finding a reasonably secluded place to build and prepare for war.

Hamm

Neo Member
Doesn't work on my Mac (gets stuck on loading screen) and many users on steam and facepunch forum are reporting the same problem.

I would suggest holding off until that specific problem is fixed.

Ok, thanks! Bummer though, I really want to play it. Guess I have to wait a while.

TomPUH

Okay my hut got raided no problem it didn't have much good in it anyway but who is evil enough to destroy the sleeping bag for good measure?

Kard8p3

Zzzz, friend got on to check our huge base, got invaded, two more of us got on really fast to defend. They broke in and started talking shit, said they had eight of them(there wasn't). Managed to kill one and scare the other two little shithead aways, quickly rebuilt the wooden gate and quickly made another one for them to break, replaced the door as well as putting up some barricades for them to break through.

EZ GAME EZ LYFE.

Lyonaz

Bought this game this morning and I think I played for 6 hours straight or something.

Also that feeling of making your own cooked food for the first time when you almost died of starvation! I felt like Tom Hanks in Castaway. Running with a stone after a pig is also fun.
After reading the starting guide on Steam, stuff is going much smoother now. Totally loving this game.

I read just enough to know how to make a proper hatchet this morning and since then I've built a fairly substantial base and more or less everything a man could want... Haven't died or come anywhere close to dying in hours and the gaf server's community is nice aside from a stray ganker or two.

I joined the GAF server earlier and was running around with Irish and met a random guy who seemed friendly enough! Although I also saw someone get killed with a gun in the background :lol

Can the server be found through the browser or is it pretty much only GAF dudes.

I joined the GAF server earlier and was running around with Irish and met a random guy who seemed friendly enough! Although I also saw someone get killed with a gun in the background :lol

Can the server be found through the browser or is it pretty much only GAF dudes.

I found it through the server browser, but it may have been a fluke.

GAF server is nice, definitely room to breathe but keeps the feeling of danger. Only got killed by another player once, when that Nuke guy dropped what I thought was an item for me, turns out it was explosives :lol.

I'm the biggest idiot though, I mostly get foiled by my own stupidity. Like when I set up camp on cliffs by the ocean in such a hard to reach place that I mistimed a jump and stranded myself on unreachable geometry. Amazing how the simplest of mistakes can foil hours of work.

Jay Fray

Server can be found through the browser. There's no way to turn off the public listing for your server, though I don't think we would want ours hidden even if we could.

PRO-TIP! If your walls are made of wood, you need to repair/maintain them. If you don't they'll decay and disappear. Same goes for metal doors.

If you see the server is out of date, PM Doc and myself. I try to check in on the thread and playrust.com as often as I can at work, but sometimes I just pop into a random thread and then log off. If I see a PM odds are better I'll have it updated sooner. Also, we need someone not in NA that can push updates since Gary and Co. are in the UK.

I've been so close to buying this game many times the past couple weeks. I even had it in my cart at one point, hovering over the purchase button. My only problem is I don't have any close friends with an interest in the game and going alone doesn't seem nearly as fun. I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger after the sales die down and hope to meet some nice people on the GAF server. I'll see you all online soon!

I've been so close to buying this game many times the past couple weeks. I even had it in my cart at one point, hovering over the purchase button. My only problem is I don't have any close friends with an interest in the game and going alone doesn't seem nearly as fun. I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger after the sales die down and hope to meet some nice people on the GAF server. I'll see you all online soon!
I had the same fears, but I've honestly had a blast by myself, and have met interesting people in every "life" I've lived. It's worth it.

Kade

The Mac version is kind of messed up at the moment. Works for some people, completely broken for others.

seems this is hacker/DDOS paradise as of right now they'll have to get that all straighten out eventually though it's a very good game from the lil i played of it so far.

Well today was super depressing. Set up a second camp by the road, put some boxes outside and advertise on chat that anyone new should stop by for weapons, food, etc... Much to my chagraine, my nice idea turned into 4 bandits camping outside of it, eventually tearing it apart.

Luckily for me, I hadn't set myself to spawn there so they only got my leftovers that I was giving away anyways. Being ambushed sucks, but at least you can plan your route and be prepared to handle rogue individuals. Roving bands of thugs is kind of a downer however.

I'm pretty interested in this game and it seems like a good alternative for when I don't feel like playing DayZ.

Although, from what I've seen lately, it looks like I should hold off for a while. Is that what you guys playing would recommend to me?

antonz

Those Gaffers who do play. if you could post here and your name it might help with figuring out undesirables on the server and maybe doing something about them. The overall tone of the server has become pretty negative. Aggressive players are fine but I suspect we have a few rolling around who aren from Gaf who are deliberately being dicks

voodooray

Anyone else read Garry Newman's AMA on Reddit? I was wondering how its popularity has translated in sales even though its still alpha. Sounds like its going to be a runaway:

On paper it's already about 50x more successful than GMod. It's made $5.5 million dollars. I don't know how long GMod took to make that much money.. but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in under three weeks... in alpha.. after we'd warned everyone not to buy it.

More interesting replies from him at the link above.

Edit: I play as VººDºº|2ª¥

dave is ok

aztek is ok
dave is ok.

Everyone has been ok so far except for whoever put three walls and a ceiling in front of my door. Fuck that guy. Made me waste a charge.

Just finished my first night with the game. I was able to avoid running into anyone and just do my own thing for most of it, which was the most enjoyable part. It ended abruptly when someone that was running around naked blew me away with a gun. I should've known the moment he started speaking reassuringly, while continuing to get closer, that he was going to pull some shit. But as this was my first time playing a DayZ-like game, I wasn't really sure what to do.

Sucks, since I lost some rad gear and had just, finally, made my own gun. Lessons learned, I guess.

syko de4d

Anyone else read Garry Newman's AMA on Reddit? I was wondering how its popularity has translated in sales even though its still alpha. Sounds like its going to be a runaway:

More interesting replies from him at the link above.

Edit: I play as VººDºº|2ª¥

this quote is so true for all early access games

It won't be in any steam sales until we're out of Alpha. Just because I don't think it's fair to encourage people to buy it right now with a lower price. They should only really buy it to test and take part in the development process.

antonz

Just finished my first night with the game. I was able to avoid running into anyone and just do my own thing for most of it, which was the most enjoyable part. It ended abruptly when someone that was running around naked blew me away with a gun. I should've known the moment he started speaking reassuringly, while continuing to get closer, that he was going to pull some shit. But as this was my first time playing a DayZ-like game, I wasn't really sure what to do.

Sucks, since I lost some rad gear and had just, finally, made my own gun. Lessons learned, I guess.

A big issue right now is we cant keep servers hidden so we are getting invaded by a ton of non gaffers. On top of it I am pretty sure we got someone who is using hacks.

Koji is Koji~

And yeah, it's definitely non-gaffers that are invading and causing problems... While the one person who kept stalking me and occasionally killed me wasn't too big of an issue... there are definitely a group of trained "bandits" who've rolled into the server.

Magic School Bus is the leader of one such group. They are watching chat and heading towards where people mention activity at... My suggestion, if you're hidden stay hidden. Don't use chat to meet up with anyone. Keep your buildings off the road. Use multiple doors if you have the resources, they may break in still, but make it as painful and costly for them resource wise as possible. If they break down 4 walls for a load of charcoal, you've both wasted their time and their explosives.

(edit) To be clear, I have no problem with PvP... that's kind of the point of the game and the server. While I've had problems with a few individuals, it was at least a back and forth game. Large groups of raiders isn't fun, just oppressive.

Set a trap for 'em.

How powerful a PC do I need to run it? I'm considering getting it this weekend when my laptop gets shipped.

Set a trap for 'em.

How powerful a PC do I need to run it? I'm considering getting it this weekend when my laptop gets shipped.

Not sure the minimum, I've been running it on a dual core 3.6ghz A6 processor and a 5770 video card as my weaker machine.

My main rig runs it on a hex 4.2ghz proc and a 7870. Both machines play it fine, grass disabled more for gameplay issues than speed issues (even though I haven't hunted chickens in ages, it's easier to spot people this way)

Jay Fray

Just an FYI: I made MickeyKnox our "late" (12 AM - 6 AM EST) updater. So if Garry pushes an update in that time, PM him.

antonz

Great Jay.

And yeah Koji we have an issue now on the server since there is that rampaging group. We might have 10-12 gaffers on the server and 20+ others who more or less just roam the map pillaging and killing. I have had secure crates in the middle of my base emptied with no one getting in. May just sit out for awhile and pester gary to add the option to not have all servers listed publically

I doubt I'll pack my bags and take a break, but I think I'll play a little less seriously/religiously until things settle more.

In the end, I knew I was paying for an alpha game, so I know I can't complain TOO hard... and it's not like I'm not having fun so.

In less discussion about current issues... Not sure what I'm going to farm when they remove zombies from the game... After a certain point, they are just the perfect things to spend your mornings on after you've burned up all the resources in the area.

antonz

I doubt I'll pack my bags and take a break, but I think I'll play a little less seriously/religiously until things settle more.

In the end, I knew I was paying for an alpha game, so I know I can't complain TOO hard... and it's not like I'm not having fun so.

In less discussion about current issues... Not sure what I'm going to farm when they remove zombies from the game... After a certain point, they are just the perfect things to spend your mornings on after you've burned up all the resources in the area.

They should add some animals to replace the zombies. Heck they could get creative and have rare spawn type things.

Go with DInosaurs since we are cavemen heh. Raptors and something similar for basic threat animals. Have a Trex occasionally spawn as a Big baddie that groups could coordinate on

kubus

I love this game so much. So far I've only been playing on a very small server with only 10-18 players active, and thankfully I've yet to encounter any bandits, griefers or hackers.

The server was wiped yesterday so I had to start anew. Right after spawning there was an airdrop and luck would have it that the goods dropped right in front of me. There was another caveman running for the drops but he quickly ran away when he saw me. I only grabbed one of the crates to leave something for the others, and it contained lots of wooden foundations, walls, pillars, doorways, two metal doors and some explosives. The perfect package to build a nice home!

I found an amazing spot somewhere in the mountains. There is a trail going through it (flat surface, so no jumping around) which eventually leads to some sort of cave. It's nicely hidden away, you have to know exactly where to go to find it. I build my fortress there, which is actually only two foundations with a metal front door, and a metal door inside the house that leads to the goods. I stashed all my stuff there and went hunting for food and supplies. Apparently the field right in front of the mountain is a spawn place for wood and stones, and plenty of them. Hunting for animals will have to be done further away, though.

I was checking the area from above the clifftops when I saw a dude in cloth armor hacking away at the stones that spawned there. I've always been a friendly in this game but I just wanted to cause grief one time. I tried to use bow and arrow to kill him, but it's hard to hit from so far away so I missed the guy constantly. He eventually ran away. I thought it was funny and was actually glad I didn't kill him.

Right after he ran away he started shouting "HELP!!!!!" on the chat; he was calling for his friend. Apparently he was teaming up with another dude on the server but they only communicated through the global chat and not through mumble or skype. The guy I attacked started explaining what happened and that he was scared and the other dude got angry. Like he was his dad or something lol. So they started a witch hunt. I already went back to my house and waited there, gun in hand, in case they found me. Following their conversation was really amusing. They were constantly talking about "Ok where did you see him?" "Right over here, then he ran away into the mountains" "Ok which way". They even gave away information about where their base was located by saying "it was down the road we take to our base", which was funny but stupid on their part. Eventually they fired "warning shots" and shouted "come out of your hiding place!". I could hear their gunshots closeby. After a while they gave up and figured I was long gone.

When I see them next time I think I'll offer to help. They seem like nice people. I'll never tell them that I was the one who shot them though, lol.

I really like this social aspect of Rust. You never know who to trust. And if I do band up with them, they'll never know that I shot them. Unless they read neogaf lol. I won't backstab them, I like playing friendly more. Or perhaps they will know it was me and they'll backstab me once I join their ranks.

You never know what wil happen. It's a very interesting game, that's for sure :)

Shining

Reading some of your stories and watching some clips i'm fucking sold on this game. My PS4 will continue to collect dust. Oh, can someone recommend a good headset compatible with both PC and PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom