• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunplay in F.E.A.R. 2 puts 99% of shooters out there to SHAME!

MYE

Playing this right now for the first time.
Holy balls, this shit feels brutal!!!

fear2_2.jpg

The shooting and impact sound design
The hit animation
The gore splatter

Take notes from this 2009 FPS, SHOOTAN developers!!

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Playing this right now for the first time.
Holy balls, this shit feels brutal!!!

fear2_2.jpg

The shooting and impact sound design
The hit animation
The gore splatter

Take notes from this 2009 FPS, SHOOTAN developers!!

FEAR 1 is even better.

Grayman

The praise for the second game confused me and this seems to be corrected now. Fear has top tier gunplay and the map design is very good for that type of game with each battle area having at least two paths to freely take.

F.E.A.R. 1 still has some of the best dust, blood, and smoke particles in gunplay which makes everything feel like such a great mess. It's the little things like that which most shooters pay no attention to that keeps it on top.

AJ_Wings

Now I feel like I have to re-install FEAR 1 and experience its sublime gunplay again...

I have some 2013 games to catch up to, damn it!

To think i almost wrote off FEAR back in the day as a tech demo .... the weapon animations were janky but god damn did the gunplay + visual feedback go hand in hand to make something special. Sadly the sequels didn't have the same punch (although still quite fun).

MYE

Played FEAR1 ages ago. Don't really see any downgrade from that one to the second in terms of gunplay

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Wish I could understand the whole "FEAR 1 has the best gunplay" thing. All the weapons felt pretty lame. Can't have good gunplay without good weapons.

*edit*

Except that nail gun thing, that thing was incredible.

kris.

Banned
didn't FEAR 2 get way worse reviews than 1? or am I just making that up

either way both are exceptional

MYE

Is this lukewarm FEAR 2 reaction one of those "oh no they consolized it" things from the self-appointed master race camp?

SkylineRKR

FEAR 1 didn't have those illuminating enemies which is lame in 2, and not every blast was a splatter kill. I prefer the first game although the setting was mostly boring.

Pooya

meh, FEAR1 was way better and I'm pretty sure it had more/better particles and object reacted better to bullets.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is this lukewarm FEAR 2 reaction one of those "oh no they consolized it" things from the self-appointed master race camp?

Yes, it is. The game never escaped that criticism.

Anyway, FEAR 2 was all kinds of awesome. I absolutely loved it and think it's still the benchmark for combat in shooters. Well, either that or FEAR 1. I dunno. There are aspects of both that I like a lot. I'm not sure why the genre refuses to pay any attention to improving the core shooting mechanics, but that's modern gaming for you.

Tapejara

Count me in the "F.E.A.R 1 was better" group. I got bored and didn't finish 2. If I had to describe it, I'd say it's because F.E.A.R. had a lot more fluidity to movement and shooting, whereas F.E.A.R. 2 felt a lot more restrictive.

Fear2 felt better to me.

Guns didn't feel light and floaty, and the enemies didn't ragdoll all ridiculous and over the top like in the first one.

Sorry but a shotgun blast to a 150lb man wedding Kevlar isn't going to launch him across the room. It was fun, but I think people are letting their preference of the first game in general alter their memory on the specific points the OP made.

I just finished both of these games and I would agree, FEAR 1 has better gun play and mechanics.

Ignoring Lean in the sequel was a problem that I had with the game (the Fucking AI leaned, why couldn't I?), however both games do have some great encounters.

I also enjoyed the guns in Fear 1 more than fear 2. I stuck with the Sub and Assault Rifle most of the game in Fear 2. Fear 1 i felt like every gun had usefulness. Granted 2 was better when it came to sniping and the mech missions were decent enough to add variety.

Not to mention.. the eeriness of the glitches made FEAR 1 so fucking great! Such as this gem

Wish I could understand the whole "FEAR 1 has the best gunplay" thing. All the weapons felt pretty lame. Can't have good gunplay without good weapons.

*edit*

Except that nail gun thing, that thing was incredible.
How satisfying the gunplay feels ss a combination of many things:
-Great enemy behaviour, not necesarily AI.
-A lot of physics interaction (objects and enemy ragdolls)
-Heavy use of particle effects.
-Superb atmosphere.

A developer doesnt need to write the book with originality for a game to shine. It's a perfect time to create a game similar to FEAR in this generation since developers have a lot more of processing power and tools to employ in phycis simulations.

Best thing in F.E.A.R. 1 is coming out of slow-mo and the sound speeds up and the misty blood particles dispense

I know this post makes me sound like a goddamn psychopath but my dude

They added a new engine to the game half way though development, whole game felt sluggish and bad. Multiplayer is where it really showed.

edit: im mistaken

VAD

I disagree with OP. I was greatly disappointed with FEAR2, I don't understand why the shotgun and the nailgun were worse than in FEAR. I don't remember why, but I enjoyed the extension Project Rebirth (not sure about the title) much more than the main game.
All in all, FEAR2 was still a good game, it was just not a worthy sequel to FEAR.
I long for the next FPS that I will enjoy as much as FEAR.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How satisfying the gunplay feels ss a combination of many things:
-Great enemy behaviour, not necesarily AI.
-A lot of physics interaction (objects and enemy ragdolls)
-Heavy use of particle effects.
-Superb atmosphere.

A developer doesnt need to write the book with originality for a game to shine. It's a perfect time to create a game similar to FEAR in this generation since developers have a lot more of processing power and tools to employ in phycis simulations.

It does have those, but the feel of the guns is the biggest factor for me when it comes to "gunplay." When you put it like that though I can understand why people like it as much as they do.

MYE

The walking running animation/speed is also spot on.
Perfect amount of weapon sway and snappy response. Feels weighty but not too much

Top Bottom