• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunplay in F.E.A.R. 2 puts 99% of shooters out there to SHAME!

Best thing in F.E.A.R. 1 is coming out of slow-mo and the sound speeds up and the misty blood particles dispense

I know this post makes me sound like a goddamn psychopath but my dude

I'm right there with you. All the blood mist + dust from holes in the wall + shotgun smoke lingering while the sound comes back and you hear all the rounds/shells + bodies hitting the floor. It's marvelous.

It's been my "visual feedback" gunplay benchmark for 8 years.

rschauby

Banned
I played the original FEAR and after that FEAR 2 was almost a disappointment.

The shotguns in the original FEAR were amazing.

@MYE: Btw, contrary to standard internet protocol i wish to clarify that FEAR 1 (and expansions) been the best in the series doesn't make 2 bad by any means.

Even FEAR 3 is a very decent and fun shooter. Fear 3 with the right order of priorities could have end up been very close to number 1.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Someone on these boards described shooting the shotgun in FEAR 1 to be akin to fucking someone with God's Dick.

Accurate description.

Hypron

Is this lukewarm FEAR 2 reaction one of those "oh no they consolized it" things from the self-appointed master race camp?

When reviewing a fps on PC "consolisation" is a perfectly valid complaint. The main (and best from a performance standpoint) input devices for FPSs on PC are kb/m. If a PC shooter doesn't use those at its fullest it deserves to be called out for it.

I just played FEAR 1, its two expansions and FEAR 2 back to back, and I must say that while FEAR 1's gunplay is way better, I like FEAR 2 better thanks to its great ending and a better mix environments that somehow made the whole game more enjoyable although I guess it's just as repetitive as FEAR 1.

Is this lukewarm FEAR 2 reaction one of those "oh no they consolized it" things from the self-appointed master race camp?

My biggest complaint about the second game is that I don't think its atmosphere is nearly as good as the first. The first game didn't scare me but it definitely creeped me out quite a bit and the second game never did anything like that for me. I don't even remember what the gunplay was like so I can't comment on it but I still remember it from the first game and it has the best shotgun I've ever used in a video game.

kazebyaka

Banned
Too bad the game is boring as shit. Gunplay is great and all, but i want to look at something other than office corridors

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Gunplay and Gore you say?

PIQUvEn.jpg

Have you played soldier of fortune 2 by chance

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Too bad the game is boring as shit. Gunplay is great and all, but i want to look at something other than office corridors

The nice thing about FEAR is that it's solely about the gunplay. The game empowers you. It's not about admiring some stupid setpiece that you can't interact with or perks or some extraneous bullshit. It's a game where you shoot motherfuckers in the face and it feels good.

Shogun1337

Back then, I didn't even like shooters. Halo was the only shooter that I loved (up until Gears of War and this generation),

but even I was totally floored by F.E.A.R 1

FEAR 1 had amazing gunplay, one of the best. The melee is just as awesome too. I love the fact that you move a lot faster when you are not carrying your weapon. Dominating in multiplayer with jump kicking and slides felt really satisfying.

MYE

Gunplay and Gore you say?

PIQUvEn.jpg

Have you played soldier of fortune 2 by chance

Nope.
I do love me some Raven shooters though.

FEAR 1 had amazing gunplay, one of the best. The melee is just as awesome too. I love the fact that you move a lot faster when you are not carrying your weapon. Dominating in multiplayer with jump kicking and slides felt really satisfying.

Nice avatar

Muffdraul

I don't think you played the same FEAR 2 that I played. I didn't think it sucked or anything, I played through it twice. But yeah, certainly nothing to write home about.

Then again I clearly wasn't anywhere near as impressed with FEAR 1 as most of the people in this thread apparently were. However I do acknowledge that it was far better than its sequel.

Playing through the entire FEAR saga at 144 FPS/1080p on PC right now.

Its games like this that make waiting for new games to drop in price easy--so many old dusty games that might as well be next gen pearls when on PC.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
F.E.A.R. 1 still has some of the best dust, blood, and smoke particles in gunplay which makes everything feel like such a great mess. It's the little things like that which most shooters pay no attention to that keeps it on top.

To think i almost wrote off FEAR back in the day as a tech demo .... the weapon animations were janky but god damn did the gunplay + visual feedback go hand in hand to make something special. Sadly the sequels didn't have the same punch (although still quite fun).

yep. back then, we had FEAR and soldier of fortune. Soldier of Fortune was controversial, but FEAR has sound and visual feedback elements that every fps to this day is missing. The level design is pure shit, but the gameplay is so good because of it that no one cared.

Not to mention it was like 10+ years ago. People would go ape shit if it returned.

orborborb

I agree, FEAR 2 has the most satisfying shooting of any FPS I've ever played. Killzone 3, Bulletstorm, FEAR 1, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and Marathon 2/Infinity also rank up there for me.

Half Life, Halo, Doom 3, Rage, Vanquish, Syndicate, Binary Domain are good enough,

Gears of War, GTA, Uncharted, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex, Mass Effect... are unsatisfying.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
FEAR 1 All the way.

Nothing like nailing a dude to a wall, coming back to that corridor and crapping myself/shooting the crap out of him because I thought it was a living enemy stood in the corridor.

Hard to argue. FEAR 1 and 2 are pretty badass. F3AR not so much.

Ah well, at least FEAR 2 has a pretty sweet DLC campaign as well iirc.

NeoGash

I don't own F.E.A.R 1 or 2 anymore, and i used to have that expansion thingy, whatever it was called. F.E.A.R 2 was one of the scariest games I played, I remember going through a haunted school or something and I was sweating and turned it off. The blood gore and solid shooting sold the experience for me, and I was interested in the story. I might play them again.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
FEAR 1 and 2 are both amazing games IMO. Yes FEAR 1 is better but I still love FEAR 2 and find it incredibly satisfying to play. Fuck I love Monoliths games. Hell I even like FEAR 3 (despite not being made by Monolith) and I don't even consider that much of a FEAR game at all.

It's a shame that the PC version of FEAR 2 essentially got canned and they ended up working on FEAR 2 for consoles instead (which then got ported to PC). Well according to one of the devs working on Betrayer anyway.

I also wanted to ask any ex Monolith guys here (like element). Why did you change the gore model/gun sounds from the first game ? Especially for the worse. I still watch the videos from E3 and wonder why it was changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Nk_ms9VYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxsonSEq5fE

yep. back then, we had FEAR and soldier of fortune. Soldier of Fortune was controversial, but FEAR has sound and visual feedback elements that every fps to this day is missing. The level design is pure shit, but the gameplay is so good because of it that no one cared.

Not to mention it was like 10+ years ago. People would go ape shit if it returned.

No it wasn't pure shit, at all. It was that level design that made the AI look so good:

I highly recommend reading Jeff Orkins GDC talk on it

notBald

I loved Fear 2, but yes 1 was better.

One thing I didn't notice until I played 2 is that Fear 1's lighting is fully real time. When someone fires a gun there's a muzzle flash and all shadows shift, giving you a small visual cue to where he's firing from.

AFAIK it's the only game that does that. Neat touch that added to the gunplay.

TUROK

I didn't think it was that great. Nor FEAR 1's. Shitty gun sound effects really take me out of the experience.

FEAR 3 has the best gunplay out of all of them.

Mman235

Sorry but a shotgun blast to a 150lb man wedding Kevlar isn't going to launch him across the room. It was fun, but I think people are letting their preference of the first game in general alter their memory on the specific points the OP made.

Are you really trying to paint that as a bad thing in a game where you can go into bullet-time and slide-kick a guy across the room? Why would you even want to "alter your memory" of that when that's FUCKING AWESOME

Shane

AI took a step back in 2. Violence was more 'graphic novel'. Story was worse. Guns didn't have that impact.

F.E.A.R. 1 was last generation's Doom.

bengraven

I loved Fear 1 on Xbox and just got the trilogy through a bundle - I need NEED to play Fear 1 on PC.

Does it hold up?

FEAR is one of the old games I really wish I owned on steam. I no longer own the original copy I had when it first released.

Wolfenstein Enemy territory and return to castle wolfenstein are also two other gems from the past.

Yep Fear 1&2's gunplay is fantastic just like Binary Domain and Space Marine are for 3PS.

It's a shame game feel is pretty low down on most devs and players laundry list, as games of that calibre should be the norm not the exception.

The lack of any kind of game feel is my main pet peeve of Gears 1 or 2, (haven't played 3 & 4) it has machine guns and exploding rockets not lasers, how the hell did they fuck that one up?

I find fear 2 to be generally underrated, it's a good game with some pacing problems that didn't live up the original. The hospital level for example went on way too long.

Fear 1 though.. Such great gunplay. A classic straight shooter.

One of the things both those games did right is the huge underground complexes made by mega corp to keep stuff under wraps. They were pulled off so well with the right mix of open spaces and closed in environments, and had the right feel of exploring some cool secret stuff.

Fear 3 is just a bummer, made by different dudes, totally technically underwhelming, weak gameplay and co-op focus.

bengraven

Oh god yes. As long as you don't mind every area being an office space.

As a guy who works last shift in an office, it's not really a big deal. It will just feel like an average work day...except I have to walk over bodies while locking up.

Jharp

I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask: How is the FEAR 2: Reborn DLC? I never played it, and what with the Steam sale going on, I could always go for a few hours of FEAR again. I did replay the first less than a year ago.

Top Bottom