• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2014

L~A

Not sure if mentioned, but the Nintendo.co.uk page for TVii got a text update.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Wii-U/System-Software/Nintendo-TVii/Nintendo-TVii-666625.html

On one hand, I doubt this will ever see the light of day. On the other, they could have just removed the page entirely...

Your doubts are clearly wrong :p

No, I mean, if they had really given up on bringing Nitnendo TVii to Europe, they would either announce it clearly and/or remove that page altogether. Or they wouldn't have bothered updating the page at all.

By the way, looks like that manga app is coming to the West!

Robin64

No, I mean, if they had really given up on bringing Nitnendo TVii to Europe, they would either announce it clearly and/or remove that page altogether. Or they wouldn't have bothered updating the page at all.

Not if the web team are as clueless as the rest of us.

I'm willing to bet HIGH STAKES that TVii does not surface in 2014.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not sure if mentioned, but the Nintendo.co.uk page for TVii got a text update.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Wii-U/System-Software/Nintendo-TVii/Nintendo-TVii-666625.html

On one hand, I doubt this will ever see the light of day. On the other, they could have just removed the page entirely...

I actually forgot that TVii even existed.

By the way has anyone told you that you look like Gordon Freeman from Half-life? Assuming that the avatar picture is you in real life. :)

This page needs more rage.
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja is the European version, by the way. It was apparently translated into German, which means that everyone gets the 50hz version.
I'm pleased Contra...wait Probotector was not translated is all I can say..

tell THEM, not US.
I did so for 6 over years (customer services). I have even e-mailed Satoru Shibata* and heads of other Nintendo countries on occasion (well the address doesn't bounce like it does for former employees so who know if it winds up in a spam filter or not). Nothing happened.

It took complaints on Miiverse over Balloon Fight for journalists to finally get their act together (even Eureopan ones like Eurogamer) and ask Nintendo about it. And what does it get us, everyone gets thrown under the bus when there is a German translation...i.e. your typical Nintendo did not learn, is lazy and honestly doesn't deserve your money (it might still get it but...).

So please, tell me what is constructive in this situation?

*-The scattergun approach just annoys people but I don't know who else to turn to. Customer services are a brick wall who insist everything is fine.

Wario Ware Twisted (which kept appearing on release schedules for about 2 years) tells me it won't see the light of day.

D-e-f-

Banned
This page needs more rage.

I'm pleased Contra...wait Probotector was not translated is all I can say..

I did so for 6 over years (customer services). I have even e-mailed Satoru Shibata* and heads of other Nintendo countries on occasion (well the address doesn't bounce like it does for former employees so who know if it winds up in a spam filter or not). Nothing happened.

It took complaints on Miiverse over Balloon Fight for journalists to finally get their act together (even Eureopan ones like Eurogamer) and ask Nintendo about it. And what does it get us, everyone gets thrown under the bus when there is a German translation...i.e. your typical Nintendo did not learn, is lazy and honestly doesn't deserve your money (it might still get it but...).

So please, tell me what is constructive in this situation?

*-The scattergun approach just annoys people but I don't know who else to turn to. Customer services are a brick wall who insist everything is fine.

Doing it here also doesn't help so "needs more rage" is a waste of everyone's time and is just annoying because every time there is a 50Hz game we go through the same song and dance and nobody who needs to hear it will ever hear it.

Robin64

Doing it here also doesn't help so "needs more rage" is a waste of everyone's time and is just annoying because every time there is a 50Hz game we go through the same song and dance and nobody who needs to hear it will ever hear it.

I don't think spreading the word a little that this should not be supported is "a waste of everyone's time".

Jucksalbe

Banned
I don't think spreading the word a little that this should not be supported is "a waste of everyone's time".

Not sure who you're still spreading it to in here. Maybe if Nintendo doesn't listen, people should just get Sony to do it to built some competition and force Nintendo to adapt.

Robin64

Not sure who you're still spreading it to in here. Maybe if Nintendo doesn't listen, people should just get Sony to do it to built some competition and force Nintendo to adapt.

There was a poster in the past few pages who wanted to know. Even one person less buying this crap is a small victory. Have to vote with our wallets, right? But it's a rare enough occurence now. They're so close to getting it right.

L~A

Just thought of something... on the TWW Collector Disc, there's Ocarina of Time (the N64 game)... but in 60Hz (I clearly remember the warning message "This game only works in 60Hz" or something). But how exactly did they do that, because OoT WAS translated, therefore they couldn't have just gone with the US version.

Then again, I remember that Majora's Mask from the other Collector Disc (with the GC) was kinda prone to crashing. Was it 60Hz too?

With the VC output being what it is, I have zero hopes of the SNES/N64 games NOT to be 50Hz :p

Just thought of something... on the TWW Collector Disc, there's Ocarina of Time (the N64 game)... but in 60Hz (I clearly remember the warning message "This game only works in 60Hz" or something). But how exactly did they do that, because OoT WAS translated, therefore they couldn't have just gone with the US version.

Then again, I remember that Majora's Mask from the other Collector Disc (with the GC) was kinda prone to crashing. Was it 60Hz too?
The roms were modified compared with the N64 version (so are the VC versions). Z-targetting being renamed and the A/B buttons different colours reflecting the GCN controller (those may have been replacement textures called when the originals should appear though).

The emulator used is certainly odd (it is the only PAL game that can fail to display properly using RGB Scart on certain TVs/colour resolution settings) so maybe it couldn't be made to run in 50Hz but more likely is it is a free product that is tested to work fine in 60Hz, making a 50Hz version would take time and resources NOE did not have.

I think the translations were done by having script dumps and the ROMs being patched upon loading. It probably isn't practical to do this for a lot of SNES games (clean script dumps long lost and not being able to cleanly insert into US version etc).

Some of the problems of MM is due to it not being able to fit MM ROM+emulated RAM+emulator into Gamecube RAM so it has to read off the disc from time to time. Maybe the Gamecube struggles too as I think it runs at sub-20 FPS at times (20 FPS is the N64 version).

Jucksalbe

Banned
There was a poster in the past few pages who wanted to know. Even one person less buying this crap is a small victory. Have to vote with our wallets, right? But it's a rare enough occurence now. They're so close to getting it right.

Hmm...maybe then in addition to complaining about every 50 Hz game on Miiverse, we could also congratulate them on Miiverse for every 60 Hz game they manage to put out to increase visibility.
I don't really know what else there is to do. "Voting with your wallet" is bound to have nasty side effects, especially without explanation.

L~A

The roms were modified compared with the N64 version (so are the VC versions). Z-targetting being renamed and the A/B buttons different colours reflecting the GCN controller (those may have been replacement textures called when the originals should appear though).

The emulator used is certainly odd (it is the only PAL game that can fail to display properly using RGB Scart on certain TVs/colour resolution settings) so maybe it couldn't be made to run in 50Hz but more likely is it is a free product that is tested to work fine in 60Hz, making a 50Hz version would take time and resources NOE did not have.

I think the translations were done by having script dumps and the ROMs being patched upon loading. It probably isn't practical to do this for a lot of SNES games (clean script dumps long lost and not being able to cleanly insert into US version etc).

Some of the problems of MM is due to it not being able to fit MM ROM+emulated RAM+emulator into Gamecube RAM so it has to read off the disc from time to time. Maybe the Gamecube struggles too as I think it runs at sub-20 FPS at times (20 FPS is the N64 version).

Thanks a bunch for the explanation :)

Well, I hope we DO get Majora's Mask 3D then, in 60FPS plox.

L~A

Sorry for the double-post, but there's a couple of new 3DS communities on Miiverse :

Bd4BJRSCcAEK1YT.png:large

I'd love to know how they chose which game get a community each week :p

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sorry for the double-post, but there's a couple of new 3DS communities on Miiverse :

Bd4BJRSCcAEK1YT.png:large

I'd love to know how they chose which game get a community each week :p

I would be so ticked off if Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Super Pokémon Rumble Miiverse allows you to share screen shots.

Still ticked off that Pokémon X and Y doesn't let you do that.

D-e-f-

Banned
I would be so ticked off if Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Super Pokémon Rumble Miiverse allows you to share screen shots.

Still ticked off that Pokémon X and Y doesn't let you do that.

zlCfzRYIVv8aEtgKEc

zlCfzRYIOXIwu5UGs7

^Rumble does. Mystery Dungeon does not (at least no one did in the community).

Neff

The mistreatment and lack of respect for classic games by way of 50hz neutering cannot be broadcast or complained about enough.

I was really looking forward to Mystical Ninja, too.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So far, the 50hz releases are:

Balloon Fight
Kirby's Adventure
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Harvest Moon
I thought f-zero too, no?

It's one of the few truly great dsiware games.

Get it!
There are more than a few great dsiware games. But yes, SP is one of them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's one of the few truly great dsiware games.

Get it!

There's a lot of really good DSiware games.

There's only two great ones. This is one of them.

The other is Aura Aura Climber which also has been on Club Nintendo once before (This is Starship Defenses third time on I believe)

There are more than a few great dsiware games. But yes, SP is one of them.

Great rather than just good? Ennhh. I can only think of a handful I'd call "great" (Starship Defense, Trajectile, and Pictobits). Cave Story or other ports don't really count to me because they're better played anywhere but dsiware.

The other is Aura Aura Climber which also has been on Club Nintendo once before (This is Starship Defenses third time on I believe)

Yeah, I was talking great not just good or ok.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Great rather than just good? Ennhh. I can only think of a handful I'd call "great" (Starship Defense, Trajectile, and Pictobits). Cave Story or other ports don't really count to me because they're better played anywhere but dsiware.
What's not great about:

Minis on the Move, Pinball Pulse, Pop Island, Shantae RR, Spotto!, Ninja Karakuri Den, Dark Void Zero, DodoGo!, Aquia or Aura Aura Climber?

If you note, no ports (even though I plain disagree with your opinion about CS - having a competent port on the move, with a great battery life, is what actually allowed me to finally finish that game), and no 'merely ok' games - those are all 100% pure gems.

As annoyed as I am over the disrespect us in PAL-world get over the unnecessary 50hz release thing...

I do find it pretty funny that they release Contra 3 NTSC and people are upset because they wanted Super Probotector lol.

rjc571

Banned

Go! Go! Kokopolo isn't just a great game on DSiware, it's one of the best games in the entire DS library. Shantae, Mighty Flip Champs, the Rabi Laby series, the Art Style series (especially Boxlife and Zengage), Snapdots, and Mr. Driller are all great games as well.

zigg

Seconding highest recommendations on

• Aura-Aura Climber
  • Boxlife
  • DodoGo!
  • Pinball Pulse
  • Pop Island
And I'm sure there are many others I've forgotten.

I'm disappointed that 3DS hasn't met this standard yet, but there's hope. There are a handful of worthy titles already…

Richie

US' January Club Nintendo rewards are up:

F-Zero (Wii U VC) - 200 coins
1080 Snowboarding (Wii VC) - 200 coins
Game & Watch: Cement Factory (Dsiware) - 100 coins
Spin Six (Dsiware) - 150 coins

krumble

As annoyed as I am over the disrespect us in PAL-world get over the unnecessary 50hz release thing...

I do find it pretty funny that they release Contra 3 NTSC and people are upset because they wanted Super Probotector lol.

Generally it's because we grew up with super probotector (inc the 50hz issue) not sure why Thats hard to understand..?

SuomiDude

Generally it's because we grew up with super probotector (inc the 50hz issue) not sure why Thats hard to understand..?
But all the other PAL games were 50hz, so making Probotector an exception seems weird. Btw, I'm PAL gamer myself, and I don't understand the whole 50hz vs 60hz at all. I've never had any issues with PAL versions, so as a PAL gamer those versions are just as good as any.

D-e-f-

Banned
But all the other PAL games were 50hz, so making Probotector an exception seems weird. Btw, I'm PAL gamer myself, and I don't understand the whole 50hz vs 60hz at all. I've never had any issues with PAL versions, so as a PAL gamer those versions are just as good as any.

If the games were adapted properly, you'll hardly notice and differences unless you're super nutty about it and KNOW that there even ARE differences. Once you know, it's tough to not want the superior version. For a lot of games, the outrage is a little overblown though. But we've been over that countless times already.

Gotta say though, finally playing Street Fighter II in 60Hz was a revelation!

No? I never said it was. I'm not hassling anyone or saying they were wrong, just found it comical how it ends up.

- Booo stop giving us 50hz shit, its a disgrace! 60hz or nothing!

- Ok here is Contra 3.

- Omg not that one, that one we wanted PAL! Can't you do anything right?!

Top Bottom