• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2014

I believe NA is getting Unepic and F1 Race Stars for Wii U tomorrow. First time in a while Wii U gets two new games, I think.

Good timing before MK8. Could see some sales due to the game drought, although in my case I have so many great games still to get from 2013.

terrisus

Simon's Quest on 3DS VC?

To heck with SMB3 and LTTP - those already have portable versions of them - this is one I've really been looking forward to.
I don't care what anyone else says, Simon's Quest is an absolutely amazing game, and one of my favorites.

horriblenighttohaveacurse.png

+Bloody Tears

I've had my eye on UnEpic for a while. 9.99 seems like a nice price; I was expecting 15 dollars to be honest. Impressions on Steam seem generally very positive. While searching for info on the game I found this old comment from the dev:

The porting will start next January. When the porting is done, I will have to do all changes in the game coming from Nintendo, specially in dialogs and some 'adult-like' quests ;-)

Personally I'm happy to hear the crudeness has been toned down (though I haven't played the original) as I enjoy having games that I can play with my son. It's rated T though so perhaps still not appropriate for him.

Does anyone know if the Wii U version has multiplayer? The Nintendo page says number of players is still TBD, which obviously can't be the case.

I've had my eye on UnEpic for a while. 9.99 seems like a nice price; I was expecting 15 dollars to be honest. Impressions on Steam seem generally very positive. While searching for info on the game I found this old comment from the dev.

Will I understand everything if I've never played D&D outside of the 2D beat 'em ups? The only reason I'm excited is because it looks Castlevania-ish. Is this the case, or am I way off the mark?

terrisus

Are you serious? It said "Wii U"!

This is true. And it technically is true, since you can play it on the Wii U - just, it has to be in Wii mode.
Kind of a bad way to label the initial image. But on the product page you have to go to before selecting it, it also says:

System: Wii

Originally launched in 1998 for the Nintendo 64™ system, 1080° SNOWBOARDING can be downloaded from the Virtual Console™ section of the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii™ console for 1000 Wii Points™. Additional accessories required for 2-player mode; sold separately. For a limited time only until February 9 2014, Club Nintendo members can get a download ticket for this game for just 200 Coins.

How to Download: You will receive a Wii download ticket, and can download the game at the Wii Shop Channel.

Plus, no N64 games are available on the Wii U VC yet.

donny2112

I don't care what anyone else says, Simon's Quest is an absolutely amazing game, and one of my favorites.

horriblenighttohaveacurse.png

Ugh. It may be more playable with save states. That way if you spend 15 minutes working hard going all the way to the left and find nothing, you can just load up the save state to take you back to where you started and then try going right.

terrisus

Ugh. It may be more playable with save states. That way if you spend 15 minutes working hard going all the way to the left and find nothing, you can just load up the save state to take you back to where you started and then try going right.

If you were killing stuff along the way, reloading from a savestate wastes all of those hearts from that process.
Exploring is half the fun.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is it just me or are VC releases on 3DS and Wii U in the same day increasing lately? Maybe, cross-buy is coming!

...In 201x, but maybe it's coming!

90sRobots

I only double dip when at least one version is discounted. So I got Super Mario Bros. for 3DS in 2012 and then got it for a buck on Wii U. I'll do the same with Ninja Gaiden when it hits Wii U since I have the Wii version. Single player NES games go on the 3DS, so Simon's Quest is gonna look real purdy next to Castlevania on my home screen. All those Game Boy and NES games grouped together gives me the fahkin 'orn.

JavyOO7

I wish cross buy was a thing. And hopefully it ends up free similar to what Sony is doing. I doubt it unfortunately.

L~A

Is it just me or are VC releases on 3DS and Wii U in the same day increasing lately? Maybe, cross-buy is coming!

...In 201x, but maybe it's coming!

Iwata : (laughs)

Honestly, I wouldn't get my hope up if I were you.... we're still to see the mythical web eShop that was supposed to launch last year....... or maybe they meant fiscal year? I sure hope so.

L~A

Sayonara UmiharaKawase just got its PEGI rating.... guess the game will be officially announced during the next Nintendo Direct :

BeGzKqVCEAElq1m.png:large

rjc571

Banned
Wow, awesome week
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - JAN. 16, 2014

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U™
Unepic – In the middle of a role-playing game with his friends, the hero Daniel is teleported to a castle and thinks that he is having a hallucination. Help guide Daniel through an (un)epic platforming adventure through a massive, mysterious castle.

Virtual Console™ on Wii U
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest – In this sequel to the original classic, take on the role of Simon Belmont, grab your legendary whip and roam freely through Transylvania on a quest to find Dracula's missing body parts. In addition to intense action and tight control, this sequel also introduces several unique game-play elements to the legendary series. Build experience the longer you play, buy weapons and items from merchants or talk with villagers to get clues. Take a deep breath, steady your nerves and help Simon end his curse and defeat the count once and for all.

Nintendo eShop Sale
Etrian Odyssey™Untold: The Millennium Girl – Want to start off your year with a stellar adventure? Grab your map and prepare yourself. Atlus' Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl is $20 off in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS™ from Jan. 20 to Jan. 27.

Also new this week:
• F1 RACE STARS™ POWERED UP EDITION (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
• Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: http://news2know.net/nintendo/downloadW82dnuf6.php.

In addition to video games available at retail stores, Nintendo also offers a variety of content that people can download directly to their systems. Nintendo adds new titles weekly to the Nintendo eShop for the Wii U system as well as the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL systems, to the Nintendo DSi™ Shop for the Nintendo DSi system and to the Wii™ Shop Channel for the Wii console.

The Nintendo eShop is a cash-based service that features games, applications and videos. Users can add money to their account balances by using a credit card or by purchasing a Nintendo eShop Card at a retail store and entering the code from the card. All funds from one card must be loaded in the Nintendo eShop on either Wii U or Nintendo 3DS, but can be used in either Nintendo eShop if the systems are linked to a single Nintendo Network account.

The Wii Shop Channel offers games and applications and uses Wii Points™, which can be purchased via the Wii Shop Channel. The Nintendo DSi Shop offers games and applications and uses Nintendo DSi Points™, which can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Wii Points Card™ and Nintendo DSi Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one card must be redeemed in either the Wii Shop Channel or the Nintendo DSi Shop, respectively. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that Wii U, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage some of the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu, http://www.nintendo.com/wii, http://www.nintendo.com/3ds or http://www.nintendo.com/ds.

I've been sitting on 700+ Club Nintendo points for awhile now. I hope they eventually get some decent 3DS rewards. I really wanted the Luigi statue, but 1500 points was a little much.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sayonara UmiharaKawase just got its PEGI rating.... guess the game will be officially announced during the next Nintendo Direct
Weird, EU gets the original name. & ESRB doesn't have the rating up. Still hoping for a Jan. release.

gogoud

Will I understand everything if I've never played D&D outside of the 2D beat 'em ups? The only reason I'm excited is because it looks Castlevania-ish. Is this the case, or am I way off the mark?

you play as a character who is a jock who got into D&D. you don't need to know anything. everything is explained. there are some references to some fun things you may or not know. otherwise it's a pretty cool castlevania-ish game.

L~A

Weird, EU gets the original name. & ESRB doesn't have the rating up. Still hoping for a Jan. release.

Actually, the USK rating is even older, and the ACB rating even even older :p

Different title may be because the publisher isn't the same : Natsume in the US, Agatsuma Entertainement in Europe (original Japanese company).

Thing is, the game probably uses the US localisation from Natsume. Come to think of it, the game might well be released on the same day in both territories! Code of Princess was delayed because Agatsuma Entertainement tried to have a physical release, but since SUK is digital-only, they could very well do a simultanenous release....

We shall see!

EDarkness

I can't wait to try out Unepic. Also, thinking about F1 Race Stars. Looked pretty good when I saw it at Bic Camera the other day.

Davey Cakes

Pretty cool that Simon's Quest is on both eShops at the same time.

Of course, it kind of highlights the unfortunate absence of cross-buy.

Goli

What is it with Atlus and sales, seriously? I have $60 on my eShop account with $40 for Bravely Default but all these sales are making me want to spend all of it on the Atlus games I don't have yet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What is it with Atlus and sales, seriously? I have $60 on my eShop account with $40 for Bravely Default but all these sales are making me want to spend all of it on the Atlus games I don't have yet.

It's actually gotten to the point where I might not buy their next few 3DS games right away. I've barely touched EO Untold since I bought it day one and its been 20 bucks twice now. Same with Soul Hackers which I got about halfway through.

Definitely going to wait on Conception II. Probably not Persona Q though.

Morts

The lack of cross-buy is shameful. I'm just going to avoid NES VC games unless Nintendo ever gets this figured out.

D-e-f-

Banned

Well at least they thought of that in Europe and decided to only put out the 3DS VC version :p (yay?)

sörine

Banned
I wish cross buy was a thing. And hopefully it ends up free similar to what Sony is doing. I doubt it unfortunately.
I'd settle for a cross-discount at least. Sort of like the Wii to Wii U upgrade fee. I can appreciate Nintendo puts more work into their VC stuff than Sony does their PS Classics (perfected emulation, bug free, digital manuals, Miiverse communities) but buying an emulated game twice at full price definitely discourages people I think.

Goli

sörine;97322132 said:
I'd settle for a cross-discount at least. Sort of like the Wii to Wii U upgrade fee. I can appreciate Nintendo puts more work into their VC stuff than Sony does their PS Classics (perfected emulation, bug free, digital manuals, Miiverse communities) but buying an emulated game twice at full price definitely discourages people I think.

Um what, Sony's PS Classics have all that except for Miiverse communities, and they're playable on more systems.

What on earth is the point of only releasing Simon's Quest for VC today when it could have been released along with Gradius last week as a double hitter for Konami fans?

Almost two months since launch for SM3DW and LBW and still can't upgrade my copies of SMB3 and LTTP, absolutely rediculous. This is why NOA is still the most hated region for Nintendo management. We get EB within the first 6 months of the shop being up but they can't bother to give us other simple, mainline AAA titles? I again say this is strong circumstantial evidence that there is no way they would have given us Earthbound if Iwata hadn't kindly taken note of the fan outpouring for the game on Miiverse. I really do think he stepped in for us and made a call to Redmond on that one at least.

What on earth is the point of only releasing Simon's Quest for VC today when it could have been released along with Gradius last week as a double hitter for Konami fans?

Almost two months since launch for SM3DW and LBW and still can't upgrade my copies of SMB3 and LTTP, absolutely rediculous. This is why NOA is still the most hated region for Nintendo management. We get EB within the first 6 months of the shop being up but they can't bother to give us other simple, mainline AAA titles? I again say this is strong circumstantial evidence that there is no way they would have given us Earthbound if Iwata hadn't kindly taken note of the fan outpouring for the game on Miiverse. I really do think he stepped in for us and made a call to Redmond on that one at least.

Uhhhh, Iwata runs NoA now. Has for awhile.

It would have made way more sense to release Castlevania 1-4 and Rondo of Blood back in October. They could have bundled all of them for $20.

Profit.

Top Bottom