• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2014

sörine

Banned
Um what, Sony's PS Classics have all that except for Miiverse communities, and they're playable on more systems.
PS Classics definitely aren't bug free and the emulation is more general purpose, at least for PS1. They do have digital manuals though.

90sRobots

There are a lot of creative, low-risk means to make money on the eShop. No one has figured that out yet, and Nintendo certainly isn't interested in encouraging publishers to do so.

Nintendo has been digging their own grave for years because of such timid business decisions. Shitty, stubborn Japanese business mentality. Arkham Origins runs like shit on Wii U but that machine sure is quiet!

D-e-f-

Banned
sörine;97322132 said:
I'd settle for a cross-discount at least. Sort of like the Wii to Wii U upgrade fee. I can appreciate Nintendo puts more work into their VC stuff than Sony does their PS Classics (perfected emulation, bug free, digital manuals, Miiverse communities) but buying an emulated game twice at full price definitely discourages people I think.

Agree on both accounts. I'd be completely fine with a cross-platform "upgrade" fee or a "pay $1-2 extra and get it on all Nintendo devices" deal during the initial purchase. I so far haven't double dipped on any VC games even though I'd like to have some on both my 3DS and WiiU.

Richie

I wonder if, within NoA's POV, SMB3 and ALTTP's delay is no big issue because we got stuff like Dr. Luigi first. Well, now that the game's in all territories, here's crossing my fingers for at least one of the two games next week ... Albeit at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if they're saving it for the next Direct. "Oh, and you can download them right now!"

A big loss as of late has been the absence of sales in the Virtual Console. It was actually off to a promising start (Get Super Mario World, snatch SMB2 for half the price; pay for 2 Kirby games and get one for free, etc). But it's been oddly cooled down lately, when they could do so much more with it, and definitely something fresh every week.

Take today's release for example. From my understanding, it's Castlevania III for NES and Castlevania IV for SNES that are considered the franchise's best installments in those Nintendo systems. On top of that, I've yet to finish the latter, and I have the first Castlevania to go through, so I'm in no rush of getting today's game. BUT. What if it had come with a sale? What if they gave it to me for half the price should I already own one of the available Castlevanias? It's just smart business on their part, it'd make me check out games I wouldn't have thought of buying otherwise, they have nothing to lose and everything to win.

Admittedly, that example depends, as far as I know, on Konami being on board, not Nintendo, but just highlights how badly the VC's been treated in general (Capcom actually puts effort at times, though, recall the $2 Megaman X?)

sörine

Banned
Agree on both accounts. I'd be completely fine with a cross-platform "upgrade" fee or a "pay $1-2 extra and get it on all Nintendo devices" deal during the initial purchase. I so far haven't double dipped on any VC games even though I'd like to have some on both my 3DS and WiiU.
I've been doing both but it's been a $1 upgrade on Wii U every time thanks to my heavy Wii VC spending last gen. If an opportunity came up where the NES game was $5 on both I think I'd just get it on 3DS since I prefer playing NES games on that.

zroid

Banned
zlCfzRYsK5sSGEue1H

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Koppai

I wonder if there will ever be a sale on Senran Kagura Burst? I don't like paying full price for digital versions of what should have a retail release :/

zroid

Banned
SteamWorld Dig!

I wonder if there will ever be a sale on Senran Kagura Burst? I don't like paying full price for digital versions of what should have a retail release :/

It's an XSeed game so most likely, yes. Give it another couple months.

jmizzal

Why is NOA not advertising F1 race stars on the eShop? I could see if you could buy it at retail, but its only on the eShop you would think they would put the game on the front page

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Why is NOA not advertising F1 race stars on the eShop? I could see if you could buy it at retail, but its only on the eShop you would think they would put the game on the front page
It's on the front page of the EU shop.

Ok, game just finished installing - see you on the leaderboards ; )

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console

Wii U | Sales

• Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom | $39.99 until ??/??, was $59.99)
  • Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (Warner Bros. | $39.99 until ??/??, was $59.99)
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited (Warner Bros. | $19.99 until ??/??, was $59.99)

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (Atlus | $19.99 until 01/27, then $39.99)
  • Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (Warner Bros. | $19.99 until ??/??, was $39.99)
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited (Warner Bros. | $19.99 until ??/??, was $39.99)
  • Bomb Monkey (Renegade Kid | $2.99 Permanent, was $4.99)

vYU92.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

Wii U | Sales

• Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte | €6.79 | £5.49 until 30/01, then €16.99 | £13.99)

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Dress to Play: Magic Bubbles (EnjoyUp Games | €0.99 | £0.89 until 02/06, then €3.99 | £3.59)
  • Dress to Play: Cute Witches (EnjoyUp Games | €0.99 | £0.89 until 02/06, then €3.99 | £3.59)

uxwGK.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Fuuuuck guys. Buy UnEpic.

Great atmosphere, charming dialog, mechanically sound and the game can be hard as balls. I know nothing of D&D and I'm really enjoying the story. It really doesn't hold your hand at all. It's scratching that Castlevania itch I've had for a while.

rekameohs

Banned
Are either of the $19.99 Scribblenauts deals worth it on 3DS? I know they don't have the great Object Editor of the Wii U version, but I did enjoy the DS game.

Great atmosphere, charming dialog, mechanically sound and the game can be hard as balls. I know nothing of D&D and I'm really enjoying the story. It really doesn't hold your hand at all. It's scratching that Castlevania itch I've had for a while.

Any sign of multiplayer?

ok
you just sold me on the game.
thanks for the impressions.
hard games are always welcome nowadays

terrisus

Scribblenauts unlimited finally dropped in price. $20 now. The new DC one is $40.

Awesome. I had been really considering getting that last week. I had gotten the two for DS right when they came out, but hadn't gotten around to getting this one yet. Definitely going to jump on it now.

EDIT: Quick question though - what are the differences between the Wii U and 3DS versions, considering they're both the same price now? Any differences? If graphics don't matter to me, and portability is a convenient feature for me, is there a reason to go for the Wii U version over the 3DS one?

D-e-f-

Banned
Awesome. I had been really considering getting that last week. I had gotten the two for DS right when they came out, but hadn't gotten around to getting this one yet. Definitely going to jump on it now.

EDIT: Quick question though - what are the differences between the Wii U and 3DS versions, considering they're both the same price now? Any differences? If graphics don't matter to me, and portability is a convenient feature for me, is there a reason to go for the Wii U version over the 3DS one?

the answer is just a few posts above yours...

3DS versions don't have the Object/Hero Editor which is the key new thing in Unlimited and Unmasked.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Who's that handsome leading the 2K cc in Belgium?

steveovig

I'm tempted to get Unepic with my eShop leftover credits but I think I have too much to play right now as it is. Is there a lot of exploration in it?

Also, how is Mario Tennis for the GBC?

Cody_D165

Banned

If you've ever played the GBC version of Mario Golf you know what to expect - fantastic 8-bit adaptation of the sport with RPG elements and a full-fledged story mode with extra minigames to boot.

I fully recommend it.

I'm tempted to get Unepic with my eShop leftover credits but I think I have too much to play right now as it is. Is there a lot of exploration in it?

Definitely much better than the golf.

Wish the golf and tennis GBA games were released. Never played those.

zroid

Banned

I was obsessed with that game, once upon a time. Sadly one of my favourite things about it will obviously by absent -- you could export your characters to Mario Tennis 64. You'd get these ridiculously OP dudes to just wipe the floor with everyone, it was incredible. :p

steveovig

Please tell me the actual gameplay mechanics are a tad better than NES Tennis? I've been playing that on NES Remix and I hate it.

tebunker

Banned
really like what I have been playing of UnEpic so far, glad to have it on the WiiU. Having easy inventory access and info on the gamepad is good, controls well and plays well overall. Looking forward to finish it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Updating the spreadsheet -- anyone know when the Wii U Phineas & Ferb game was marked down to $19.99 ?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GBC Mario Tennis is quite simply the greatest portable sports game of all time. It's way better than the GBA or 3DS versions.

terrisus

GBC Mario Tennis is quite simply the greatest portable sports game of all time. It's way better than the GBA or 3DS versions.

This would be true if not for GBC Mario Golf.

But, either way, the top two
any format
sports games of all time.

Mario tennis GBC does get tough later on. Rallies go forever and the CPU is relentless with it. Gets frustrating.

But as a 2D sprite-based tennis game, it's still one of the best ones I've played.

m0t0k1

Definitely much better than the golf.

Wish the golf and tennis GBA games were released. Never played those.

The Tennis rpg mode on the GBA is almost identical to the GBC version. same academy and story but there are a couple of new things like the powershots you get to choose and learn. And the minigames have changed if you train in the mini games you could learn new powershots. Haven't played gbc golf so don't know much about the difference in those games.

BooJoh

I'm enjoying Unepic so far. Some of the references are a bit heavy-handed, but it's a fun game. I've had one lockup while playing so far, it occurred upon turning in a quest and I didn't lose progress because of autosave, so if you're wary of that you might want to turn on autosave.

It might also be worth mentioning that this seems to only have the censored version of the dialog from the PC version, not that I've noticed much difference aside from the removal of a few swears.

Top Bottom